As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.hack//G.U.-Vol.1:Rebirth(Out On 10/24/06!)

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    grinding in this game is so fun :D

personally, I attribute this to Rengeki

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    grinding in this game is so fun :D

personally, I attribute this to Rengeki

Oh hell yeah! I try to use that all the time. Course I get ticked off at the enemies then when I'm so powerful that they drop before I can set it up. Speaking of battles, has anyone figured out what the individual Favorite Actions for the characters are yet? All I got so far is Silibus giving me some Morale whenever I help him beat down an enemy.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I's goijg really slow for me, I'm getting ready for:

[spoiler:ccbb211d9b]Fight with Kuhn[/spoiler:ccbb211d9b]

And the only weapon I've been able to use has been the big chainsword I got right at my job extension. I don't like the Tu Wans or Maatsu's Flame Sword at all.

I'm level 38, and I'm stilll really struggling against some of the bigger baddies like Fat Lancers and such.

And I really Don't know how I'm going to beat Kuhn at this rate, there has to be somewhere wherer I can find a higher level "Rapid Attack" Broadsword.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dear god:

[spoiler:e52ae51d5c]Kuhn is so frustrating, I can't get through his damn blocks and all his goddamn counters.[/spoiler:e52ae51d5c]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Dear god:

[spoiler:1197f4cee0]Kuhn is so frustrating, I can't get through his damn blocks and all his goddamn counters.[/spoiler:1197f4cee0]

[spoiler:1197f4cee0] Just use the Flame Sword. It's so incredibly cheap once you get the timing down on it that you can wipe out his entire party in one go.[/spoiler:1197f4cee0]

Archonex on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So is G.U.'s combat more fun than the original quadrilogy? Cause I'm having plenty of fun in Infection. About 12 hours in.

Renzo on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    So is G.U.'s combat more fun than the original quadrilogy? Cause I'm having plenty of fun in Infection. About 12 hours in.
    Yes.

Much much better.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:

It's excellent. I got bored with the original .Hack's combat about half-way through but this one is quite engaging. Also, beating the crap out of PKers by throwing them into the arena wall repeatedly is pretty funny.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

It's excellent. I got bored with the original .Hack's combat about half-way through but this one is quite engaging. Also, beating the crap out of PKers by throwing them into the arena wall repeatedly is pretty funny.
    Halfway through what? Halfway through Infection? Cause for me, it's only now getting interesting, what with exploiting elements and finally running into physically and magically resistant enemies.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

Halfway through what? Halfway through Infection? Cause for me, it's only now getting interesting, what with exploiting elements and finally running into physically and magically resistant enemies.

Yeah, the original game's fighting was slow, but you did have to think and make sure you had the right equipment for the job. That holds especially true when you're trying to Protect Break the Data Bugs and the Phases.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Guys, guys. I just learned of something that's awesome.

Seriously, don't look at the spoiler tag below if you don't want to know this truly awesome secret.

[spoiler:a3826a65fd] Gaspard, the annoying Beast Shadow Warlock who joins your party at the beginning of the game, is the reigning champion at the Crimson VS card game that's going to be implemented in the second GU episode. I learned this by talking to a NPC named Kunio in the actual game. It mentions that Gaspard is in first, and some guy named "niu wang" is in second place. It also mentions that the two seem to hate each other or something.[/spoiler:a3826a65fd]

As for the combat in the original series, I could never finish any of the games. I would get to anywhere between half-way through each one to the end and would just stop out of boredom. The combat made you think, but it wasn't interactive enough. They've changed that in GU. Now it's not only important to know what monsters are immune to what elements/physical/magic attacks it's also important that you fight right. Combat in the first series was mainly focused on preparation and mashing a single key. It's alot more complex in GU.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I'm currently stuck in Infection. I have to get a C virus core to progress, but I can't find a damn giant enemy to data drain. Any help? GameFAQs has shit for help in this regard.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    I'm currently stuck in Infection. I have to get a C virus core to progress, but I can't find a damn giant enemy to data drain. Any help? GameFAQs has shit for help in this regard.

Check your emails and make sure you're on the right server. To do this check your email. Helba sends you an email each time you get the ability to collect new data-cores.

If that fails then just use the Area Word system to create an area with high level monsters with the elemental Earth attribute. There's usually one or two wandering around the field.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

Check your emails and make sure you're on the right server. To do this check your email. Helba sends you an email each time you get the ability to collect new data-cores.

If that fails then just use the Area Word system to create an area with high level monsters with the elemental Earth attribute. There's usually one or two wandering around the field.
    Thanks, I'll try that Area word thing right now. Gotta go kill Skeith!

The sad thing is that when I first played Infection 3-4 years ago, I beat the game in about 15 hours. I'm nearing the 20 hour mark right now, and I don't think I'm going slow. I must be getting old.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

The sad thing is that when I first played Infection 3-4 years ago, I beat the game in about 15 hours. I'm nearing the 20 hour mark right now, and I don't think I'm going slow. I must be getting old.

It's probably more the fact that the original .Hack games have a habit of being randomnly tedious. It's mainly to do with monster encounters. For example, some of the normal fights later on are just inane and stupid what with the immunity to physical attacks and the AI's constant need to attack the enemy normally unless you direct them not to.

But to get back on topic here. Has anyone found any keyword combinations that take you to dark or light elemental areas in GU? It's been driving me crazy that I can't find any no matter what keyword I use. I'm hoping that they did include them in this game, and aren't keeping them as a feature for two or three.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Oh god I finally got a C core. I'm fucking level 33.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

It's probably more the fact that the original .Hack games have a habit of being randomnly tedious. It's mainly to do with monster encounters. For example, some of the normal fights later on are just inane and stupid what with the immunity to physical attacks and the AI's constant need to attack the enemy normally unless you direct them not to.

But to get back on topic here. Has anyone found any keyword combinations that take you to dark or light elemental areas in GU? It's been driving me crazy that I can't find any no matter what keyword I use. I'm hoping that they did include them in this game, and aren't keeping them as a feature for two or three.

From what I heard, Dark and Light aren't reachable in Vol-1. You have plenty to deal with already without a couple of extra elements in the mix.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

From what I heard, Dark and Light aren't reachable in Vol-1. You have plenty to deal with already without a couple of extra elements in the mix.

That's just it. Over the past three days i've done everything, including:

-Beating the game, obviously.
    -Completing the entirety of the Book of 1000.
    -Maxing all of my characters levels out and giving them the best +5 equipment whenever it's available.
    -Making an ungodly sum of money.
    -The bonus quest.
    -All of the campaigns.
    -All of the quests.
    -I've taken first place in the arena WP stats.
    And all of the stuff that requires spoilers including:
    [spoiler:ac1010426b]Killing my doppleganger.[/spoiler:ac1010426b]

So there really isn't anything else for me to do except for wait for Volume 2, really if they didn't include the other two elemental area types.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Archonex wrote:
    Owenashi wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

That's just it. Over the past three days i've done everything, including:

-Beating the game, obviously.
    -Completing the entirety of the Book of 1000.
    -Maxing all of my characters levels out and giving them the best +5 equipment whenever it's available.
    -Making an ungodly sum of money.
    -The bonus quest.
    -All of the campaigns.
    -All of the quests.
    -I've taken first place in the arena WP stats.
    And all of the stuff that requires spoilers including:
    [spoiler:e5cc34c949]Killing my doppleganger.[/spoiler:e5cc34c949]

I'm just looking for something more to experience. This is one of the few RPG's that really gripped my attention due to its combat system and PSO-esque dungeon crawling.

Well, you got a few options at the moment.

A) Take everything you've learned and start a new game, making it really perfect this time.
    B) Look at the unlocked files on your Terminal Disc with your cleared game-save or borrow someone's TD so you can.
    C) Find a way to watch //Roots to see how Haseo went from calm newb to partially insane PKK-ing jerk in 8 months.
    D) Buy FF12 and mentally replace everyone important in that game with G.U. characters.
    E) Wait till Jan-March (hopefully) for them to translate Vol-2.

On another note, those who read the gaming magazine known as Play will find a review for Vol-1. Short but to the point and very positive.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    While not nearly as bad as the original .hack games (Dejected/Alucard anyone?) G.U. does have some difficult enemies, the Chickie and Carrie families come to mind.

Also, I do notice a lot of reveiws for this game are horrible it's the "All JRPGS are the same" bullshit, damn, if someone can link that PA Comic, It would be awesome.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Holy balls Mutation is hard. Dying all over the place.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    For those interested, Amazon's Japanese site just put up a sales-page for Vol-3, complete with the cover for this last part of the G.U. trilogy. For a direct spoilerish peek, take a look at it here but do remember to use spoiler-protection when chatting about it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v475/Owenashi/64721ca7.jpg

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I found the PA Comic I was talking about:

Re: the bad reviews G.U. has been getting:

PAComicJRPG.jpg

It's somewhat relavent, Reveiwers shit over any Japaneese RPG tha isn't Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy, depite games like G.U. being far more quality.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    The original .hack series is certainly more difficult on average than previous FFs, as I am currently experiencing. Supposedly FFXII is quite difficult.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I found the PA Comic I was talking about:

Re: the bad reviews G.U. has been getting:

PAComicJRPG.jpg

It's somewhat relavent, Reveiwers shit over any Japaneese RPG tha isn't Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, or Final Fantasy, depite games like G.U. being far more quality.

Well in the end, the validity of a review and how good a game is are both under the opinion of the player.

However, I did tend to ignore some reviews for the original game when they gave MUTATION, OUTBREAK and QUARENTINE negative points on having the same graphics as INFECTION. Well duuuuuuh!

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    While not nearly as bad as the original .hack games (Dejected/Alucard anyone?) G.U. does have some difficult enemies, the Chickie and Carrie families come to mind.

Also, I do notice a lot of reveiws for this game are horrible it's the "All JRPGS are the same" bullshit, damn, if someone can link that PA Comic, It would be awesome.

I found the Chickie and Carrie families to be extremely easy once you figured out the trick to damaging them. All you have to do to them is use either [spoiler:1c3fa99fe8] an aerial (Sparrow Counter) or armor piercing attack (Armor Pierce), or use the Bear Claw customization item. The Claw item allows you to ALWAYS get critical hits when striking from behind (Backstab ability). Combine this with a good set of twin swords/dagger and you've got it made against any enemy with a shield. Especially when you consider Rengeki attacks with hold and release types. Though, it won't do much against aerial enemies as they move fast. Oh, and the Claw should technically count as a rare item seeing as how you can't find it in the field/dungeon either. You have to know where to get it. So there's bragging rights for that too.[/spoiler:1c3fa99fe8] Now, those damned Gaze Knights, they can burn in hell for their normal attack that stuns you, knocks you up into the air, and then flings you backwards after they smash that huge tree sized mace into your face.

I learned long ago not to trust gaming magazines outside of Tips and Tricks when it comes to reviews. I'm pretty sure they've never had an incorrect review on a major game. Hell, they even speculated that DMC2 might be crap when compared to its previous game before it came out I believe. Too many magazines end up prioritizing the wrong things or creating biased reviews in favor of getting a bit of money on the side these days, really.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I just read the part about converting .hack data in the G.U. manual, and I'm still confused. Do you convert all 4 data files, or does it just read your Vol. 4 file, or what?

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I believe it's jsut your clear data for Quarantine, from what I noticed it doesnt do much except for

[spoiler:bce8403809]Changes to Tri-edge, during the battle with him, he is named after what you named Kite on your save, was suprised wen I foguht tri-edge and he was named "Jin" the name on my save. I also have reason to believe it effects the difficulty of the fight as well, as Tri-Edge had as much HP as Kite did on my Clear Data from Quarantine. [/spoiler:bce8403809]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I believe it's jsut your clear data for Quarantine, from what I noticed it doesnt do much except for

[spoiler:7118781628]Changes to Tri-edge, during the battle with him, he is named after what you named Kite on your save, was suprised wen I foguht tri-edge and he was named "Jin" the name on my save. I also have reason to believe it effects the difficulty of the fight as well, as Tri-Edge had as much HP as Kite did on my Clear Data from Quarantine. [/spoiler:7118781628]
    The manual says "Acquired bonuses can be accessed after a certain point in this volume of the game." Makes me think there's more to it than what's in the spoiler.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Renzo wrote:

[spoiler:9915dd468b]Changes to Tri-edge, during the battle with him, he is named after what you named Kite on your save, was suprised wen I foguht tri-edge and he was named "Jin" the name on my save. I also have reason to believe it effects the difficulty of the fight as well, as Tri-Edge had as much HP as Kite did on my Clear Data from Quarantine. [/spoiler:9915dd468b]
    The manual says "Acquired bonuses can be accessed after a certain point in this volume of the game." Makes me think there's more to it than what's in the spoiler.

There is more to it then just a name-change.
    [spoiler:9915dd468b] If you have one data file, completed or not, Blackrose will accidentally send you an ingame email intended for Kite. I'm not going to spoil the contents of this email, as it pretty much tells what happened after the old Dot Hackers defeated the Phases and rescued everyone. If you have all four complete datas (or something like that) you'll recieve a second email that pretty much says "Oops mistell lololol" along with a bit more information.[/spoiler:9915dd468b]

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Well, I had some fun tonight. :)

Plot Progression:
    [spoiler:ffadcf242c]Got up to meeting Piros in his latest incarnation. It's cool to see that he's still as RP-loopy as ever. :) BTW, did you guys know that parts of his theme song that're being sung are done by the guy who inspired the character in the first place, Cyber Connect 2's president, Hiroshi Matsuyama?[/spoiler:ffadcf242c]

On another note, namely Kuhn..

[spoiler:ffadcf242c]It's been said that his player is a known character from the original .hack storyline, most likely from the game. The top guess at the moment for some reason is that he's the guy who played Sieg, one of the coma victims and one of the chief plot focuses on the LIMINALITY OVAs. Anyone go with that or do you have a better theory?[/spoiler:ffadcf242c]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    My personal Theries on the G.U. members:

[spoiler:9fc9d8265a]I think Pi is probably Helba. and I have a strong feeling Yata is Wiseman. [/spoiler:9fc9d8265a]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    My personal Theries on the G.U. members:

[spoiler:2b6710682e]I think Pi is probably Helba. and I have a strong feeling Yata is Wiseman. [/spoiler:2b6710682e]

[spoiler:2b6710682e]It's doubtful that Pi's Helba. She does have a connection though to G.U.'s past. Also, some people think that it's one of the guild leaders in R:2 that has any sort of link to Helba. As for Yata, it might be possible though we shouldn't base it on voice-simularity alone. Remember though that Wiseman during the Twilight/Morganna Incident was 10 years old, making him 17 now if he's still playing. Hard to say if CC-Corp would put a seventeen year-old in charge of G.U.[/spoiler:2b6710682e]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yata:

[spoiler:237204686e] it's not that, it's his knowledge of the Epitath and his whole "In Exchange" mentality, and his interest in Tri-Edge that I'm basing it on.[/spoiler:237204686e]

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Yata:

[spoiler:fdf7c5054b] it's not that, it's his knowledge of the Epitath and his whole "In Exchange" mentality, and his interest in Tri-Edge that I'm basing it on.[/spoiler:fdf7c5054b]

[spoiler:fdf7c5054b]CC-Corp could have simply paid much more attention now to the whole Epitath thing, especially due to the role it plays in G.U.[/spoiler:fdf7c5054b]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    tydrktydrk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Man, Haseo's color scheme and the way he flicks his wrist makes me think some one was a kamen rider faiz fan.

tydrk on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Whew, just got off the game after playing for a few hours (and to give FF12 some equal love).

Plot:
    [spoiler:9fc63a25bf]Right now, I just got up to visiting Yata for the second time at Raven-HQ. The Arena fight before that was pretty fun, especially with Skeith's first pop-up. I had to side with Haseo for the most part in the argument afterwards though. B and her crew did deserve a good spanking after the crap they put Haseo and Canard through. Haseo having a crazy look and maniacal laugh afterwards probably isn't a good sign, just like it wasn't in //Roots[/spoiler:9fc63a25bf]

Online Jack-Phase #2:
    [spoiler:9fc63a25bf]Damn, that's just what I needed; fun in the begining, but going 'Poltergist' in the end. :) The fact that the first cutscene I saw after logging back in was Atoli going off to meet Sakaki didn't help my 'Oh crap!' feeling one bit. :)[/spoiler:9fc63a25bf]

Off-R:2 Fun:
    [spoiler:9fc63a25bf]I've opened up a lot of good stuff and pics. Right now I got the Gabi-pic from the art-board up and Canard's theme-song for the BGM. I gotta admit that Gabi does kick quite a bit of ass as he's portrayed. Weird like Piros but more beloved. :) Anyone favoring any sort of pic or BGM out of all the ones available?[/spoiler:9fc63a25bf]

Owenashi on
  • Options
    GinsaneGinsane Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I love this game.
    Completely changed everything from the first four games. Menus, etcs.
    Really feels like The World Version 2. Not.. a cheap knock off.
    Plus, damn, lots of FMVs.

Ginsane on
    Live!: Burnout Cowboy - DS: Too many.
  • Options
    TylecTylec Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Owenashi wrote:
    Well, I had some fun tonight. :)
    On another note, namely Kuhn..

[spoiler:d274637bf0]It's been said that his player is a known character from the original .hack storyline, most likely from the game. The top guess at the moment for some reason is that he's the guy who played Sieg, one of the coma victims and one of the chief plot focuses on the LIMINALITY OVAs. Anyone go with that or do you have a better theory?[/spoiler:d274637bf0]

[spoiler:d274637bf0]The other popular theory was that Kuhn is the new character of Crim from .hack//Sign. You have the blue hair motif, both characters are real 'ladies men', and both have a habit of abandoning their commitments - Crim founded the Crimson Knights, a player-run police group in the first version, only to leave when it proved too much work. I know that Kuhn has also been a guildmaster (Kestrel, Canard) and similarily abandoned his troops.

Buut, given Kuhn's Engligh voice, and overall younger personality, I think that theory's been debunked.[/spoiler:d274637bf0]

Tylec on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Wow, just got done with my first interactive run with an Avatar.

[spoiler:ef1cca5fd5]Damn, it's a real shift in tactics when it comes to dealing with that kind of fighting. And it's a real step-up when you go from fighting Annas to Tarvos! I had to zoom right up close to finally get a hit from my DD-Cannon (as I like to call it) on her with all her constant moving.[/spoiler:ef1cca5fd5]

Owenashi on