Options

Dead Space

• Options
    MarvellousMMarvellousM United StatesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay I've had about 90 minutes to play this so far on PS3. So far its fantastic. The controls do share some similarities with Resident Evil 4 though feel a little more free if that makes any sense, I settled into the control scheme very quickly. The atmosphere is very engrossing and within minutes I was creeped out, your first real encounter with anything is great and these things really are consistently frightening, for me at least. I'm sure those of you with more expertise and knowledge than myself will be able to give more insight into this game but so far I'm hooked and having a blast with this game.

MarvellousM on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If the launch trailer is insight into how the story is presented, this might just be GOTY for me.

I love me some good sci-fi.
    Twelve more hours!

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm almost done work... so I'll be playing this in about an hour.

I honestly haven't looked at anything except for a synopsis, some screenshots and the original teaser trailer for this game. I've made it my new policy not to over saturate myself with news about a game unless I'm too excited.

So, I'm pretty excited.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shibbi BibbiShibbi Bibbi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I totally could have been playing this today. It was dropped off at the leasing office of my apartment complex late this afternoon. Buuuuuut the office happens to be closed on Tuesdays. Lame!

Shibbi Bibbi on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn I made a few calls, even went into a store on the way home trying to pick it up and nobody has it. Sucks cause one store was opening a box when I got there and they had a bunch of Dead Space guides but NO GAMES! =P
    It was made even worse when my co-workers hearing me making all these calls trying to find a console version started taunting "oh man this game is sooooo fun". Then I bumped into a co-worker in the hall and we started talking then he got a shit eating grin and said, "I'd love to continue talking, but you are holding me up from playing more Dead Space." :x:lol:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I heard some people were completing this around 8 hours? Can anyone confirm/deny? That sounds disappointingly short. :|

tofu on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, I just saw the Launch Trailer.

BONERS EVERYWHERE

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GODDAMMIT.

According to some people I've talked to online, Blockbuster will not be renting Dead Space. A trip to my local store confirmed it: there wasn't even an order placed for it. Nothing, and I'm too broke to buy it.

GODDAMMIT.

Now to attempt to stay spoiler-free until I can get my hands on a copy...

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The hell would blockbuster not rent it for?

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    MiSTieOtakuMiSTieOtaku Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    What really makes that trailer is the music. Kinda unfortunate, actually, because I doubt there will be any Sigur Ros in the game.

Not that I'm any less interested.

What song is that specifically, if no one minds me going slightly off topic?

MiSTieOtaku on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Evangir wrote: »
    Chance wrote: »
    Okay so that launch trailer was incredible, but what's this 'Grindhouse' trailer I keep hearing about? The only mention of grindhouse on gametrailers' Dead Space page is the 'ripper gameplay' vid. Is... is that it?

It's one of the trailers on deadspacegame.com. It parodies the fake "Thanksgiving" trailer from the movie Grindhouse. It is awesome.

You know it is a god damn rip that the grindhouse dvds don't come with those trailers.

Oh well, oh yeah Dead Space, looks pretty cool, however despite all the good reviews, there seems to be unanimous agreement that the game is not scary, which is really disappointing to me.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What really makes that trailer is the music. Kinda unfortunate, actually, because I doubt there will be any Sigur Ros in the game.

untitled #7.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think it's Untitled 7

but I don't really listen to Sigur Ros so

ah yes, thank you Misseur Long

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay so that launch trailer was incredible, but what's this 'Grindhouse' trailer I keep hearing about? The only mention of grindhouse on gametrailers' Dead Space page is the 'ripper gameplay' vid. Is... is that it?

It's one of the trailers on deadspacegame.com. It parodies the fake "Thanksgiving" trailer from the movie Grindhouse. It is awesome.

You know it is a god damn rip that the grindhouse dvds don't come with those trailers.

Oh well, oh yeah Dead Space, looks pretty cool, however despite all the good reviews, there seems to be unanimous agreement that the game is not scary, which is really disappointing to me.

What's scary and what isn't scary are largely subjective.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Uh whaa... ?

august on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm personally A OK with not scary. Cause in games I am a giant pussy. But I'm picking mine up tommorow anyway, and that launch trailer is phenomenal.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So today when 10:00am rolls around, I pick up the phone and call my local Blockbuster. They don't have Dead Space. I learn on here that stores will have it tomorrow (though today is the release date) which says to me, "they'll get it sometime today and put it on the shelves for tomorrow".

So I call back just now (11:30pm) and ask if they've got it in.
    "No, we only got half our shipment today," the fellow says. I prod him a little, and get "sometime this week" out of him.

Not bloody good enough. I'm in a weird place about Dead Space. I must play it - I will play it. But if I can't afford to (finally) get my hands on Bioshock, I can't justify Dead Space either. But I can sure-as-shit give it a rent...

I'm hoping if I ask about preordering, when they say "you have to put down at least five dollars," I'll ask "and if I come in that day, having paid that five bucks and decide to only give it a rental?" they'll say "that's fine, just fine."

That would be perfect.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    minor threatminor threat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

i will confirm it as untitled #7 off the album ( ) since the other posters seemed unsure. i've seen it called "the death song" on a track listing, but i'm not sure if it's real.

and to contribute something to the thread: that launch trailer... wow. i've liked all the others up until now, but that one pumps me up even more. i was planning on waiting for this as i don't have a ton of cash on hand at the moment, but screw it. i'll head to gamestop tomorrow after class and if they have it i will take that as a sign i should buy it. if they don't have it that will likewise be a sign.

minor threat on
  • Options
    GunstarGunstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sigh, it's not the track listing. it's the names the band uses when talking about the songs, just for easy reference.

/sigur ros megafan

Gunstar on
    greencall.gifredfist.gif
    Xbox : gunst4r
  • Options
    Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hate every single person that is playing this game without me right now.

Errr.... I'm sorry, I didn't mean that.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    well

for what it's worth, I do

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

i will confirm it as untitled #7 off the album ( ) since the other posters seemed unsure. i've seen it called "the death song" on a track listing, but i'm not sure if it's real.

Also known as "Dauðalagið".

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    how do you even pronounce that

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You don't

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does this come out tomorrow?

Endomatic on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, it was supposed to be shipped out by today so it should be available for purchase tomorrow.

What a time to have a broken 360!:x

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I see the PC version is released on the 20th. I believe I will wait for that.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Got the call tonight. The call. From Ashley, that chipper girl.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, did I miss something. What the fuck is up with the OXM review? 6.5? That's extremely strange coming from them.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, did I miss something. What the fuck is up with the OXM review? 6.5? That's extremely strange coming from them.

OXM has never given a single good review.

It's true.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Also, I'm about to lose all credibility and say that I love Game Revolution's reviews, who gave this an A-.

Their reviews usually stray a bit from the norm, but they're usually spot-on with how I feel. Also, they've yet to give an A+, which I think is nice. Doesn't feel like they're cheapening it by waiting for something big (like GTA4 or MGS4 or something) and going "OMG this is the A+" game. If they ever do give an A+ game, it would have to be something that stretched across genre borders, had enough content for the hardcore crowd while catering to the casual gamer and sprouted $100 bills from your disc drive.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/a-f/dead-space

I don't want to read it for fear of severe brain aneurysm, will somebody brave the review and sum up the stupid for us?

Oh, btw we got our Dead Space Review out;
    5 out of 5

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I don't want to read it for fear of severe brain aneurysm, will somebody brave the review and sum up the stupid for us?

5 out of 5

Hahahahahaha

It's pretty short. Like five paragraphs long. But the way it starts out is best:

"Dead Space
    WORDS BY: Meghan Watt"

Is that a common way to phrase it in journalism? "Words by?" Because that sounds like a first-grader trying to describe it.

Anyways, yeah, in her short review, she basically claims that you're picking up too much loot and there's not enough action, and that the story is cliched. Also complains that it doesn't have a real twist ending. Which I would say is avoiding the cliche nowadays, but whatever.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Meghan, Meghan, Meghan. tsk tsk tsk.

Such a mess.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Whoever is saying that can fuck off. Maybe it will be a different story tomorrow in the middle of the day but right now at 1AM with my headphones on this game is fucking scary.

For those that have had a chance to play, what weapon do you guys like? I'm not sure what to buy at the first store terminal thing.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Such a mess.

What, her face or her review?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Such a mess.

What, her face or her review?

lawl boath.

edit: jesus, I need to study for exams. My exams start soon, and finish on the 11th of November. EGH. Bad timing :(

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The hell would blockbuster not rent it for?

Blockbuster, according to the store manager of the store I used to work at, are no longer renting just any game. They are only carrying games that they consider to be "Sure fire hits" such as Madden and Metal Gear. Therefore, games such as Dead Space, Tales of Vesperia, Silent Hill: Homecoming, and many more, will not be carried by Blockbuster.

Dourin on
  • Options
    DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, I'm getting mixed signals from stores as to when this comes out. Target is saying 20th for 360 version, Gamestop isn't showing a date that I could see, but was saying it was available online but not in stores, and Walmart was saying that it was only available online as well. Where is the best place I can pick this up?

Oh, and I realize that this is contradictory to my previous post about not being able to get this, however, my roomate and I have devised a plan where we would both pay $30 for Dead Space and we would share our happiness/fear-filled-tears together.

Dourin on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

5 out of 5

Hahahahahaha

It's pretty short. Like five paragraphs long. But the way it starts out is best:

"Dead Space
    WORDS BY: Meghan Watt"

Is that a common way to phrase it in journalism? "Words by?" Because that sounds like a first-grader trying to describe it.

Anyways, yeah, in her short review, she basically claims that you're picking up too much loot and there's not enough action, and that the story is cliched. Also complains that it doesn't have a real twist ending. Which I would say is avoiding the cliche nowadays, but whatever.

Low Score Review Trolling for page hits TBH. Not really even a review, more of a rant why the author dislikes survival horror games.
    Scavenging for ammo? In a Survival-Horror game? Whodathunkit?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
This discussion has been closed.