As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: "I'm not trying to cause a big s-s-sensation"

• Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cheeseburger in Paradise has been purchased. Fun to sing, of course.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My friend just picked up Rock Band. So yea, he’s addicted. He's already called into work for loss of sleep. He keeps calling me and telling me about his ranking and points... and each time I have to remind him that I just don’t care.

So I introduced him to this thread, which by they way, he really enjoys. Great OP.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Disturburburbed looks fun. Definitely a purchase for me when I get home from work.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Probably gonna pick up the Disturbed pack since it is only $3. Not sure about Buffett. I might pick something up from it later on.

Also...supposedly there will be $15 1600 MS point cards at Circuit City this time from June 8-14. This is good/bad news!

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I got the Disturbed pack (god help me, I can't skip a $1 song deal), and I three-starred all the songs first shot. I'm not the best at this game, but they seemed pretty fun to play.

I also got Cheeseburger in Paradise, which may be my favorite song in the game. It's so damn upbeat.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

~Waiting for Best Buy to send me these supposed codes.

~If they don't get here by the time I get back home, I'll stab someone in the eye.

~Probably my nearest Best Buy associate.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Listened to "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and now I think I will go to In-N-Out for lunch.

Arikado on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So quick question - given that Tenacious D are on Sony BMG/Epic and have previously been in a GH game, what're the chances that they'll end up in RB in some form?

I would murder someone for the chance to perform Car Chase City.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    these new buffet recordings are pretty sweet

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    So quick question - given that Tenacious D are on Sony BMG/Epic and have previously been in a GH game, what're the chances that they'll end up in RB in some form?

Same chance as anyone from Sony BMG/Epic has to appear in Rock Band.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Arikado wrote: »

which is what chance

which was the question i was asking

Willeth on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

which is what chance

which was the question i was asking

I believe it depends on the size of the ferret.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    WikiPedia wrote:
    Five record labels agreed to supply most of the master recordings by their artists for use in the game, including EMI Music, Hollywood Records, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group's Universal Music Enterprises, and Warner Music Group's Rhino Entertainment.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Goddammit, I went right through any and all articles I could find and I must have missed that. Thanks.

Willeth on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So anything different with the new buffett recordings? They change the songs up at all, or was it just to get them down on masters as maybe the originals weren't?

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At the end of "Volcano", he throws in a reference to playing Rock Band. People will like Margaritaville notechart if they enjoy playing chords through out the whole song.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy fucking shitcrap at the drum chart for Indestructible.

D:D:D:

It looks completely innocuous until the chorus.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hahaha, "I just want to be a couch potato playing Rock Band everday."

Made Volcano even cooler.

:^:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Holy fucking shitcrap at the drum chart for Indestructible.

D:D:D:

It looks completely innocuous until the chorus.

Indestructible, eh? Too bad you cant say the same thing about your drum pedals after that song.

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wow I might go hook up my double bass again for that, yikes!

midgetspy on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That looks pretty fun.

Too bad I'm not buying it.

Also it looks harder than it probably is - the kicks aren't any faster than in Maps, so the real trick is nailing the pad sequences. Since it pops up three times in the song it shouldn't take too long to get a hang of.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Guys, totally simple question that I probably should know. I've got Rock Band for 360. Will that guitar work if I pick up Guitar Hero 2 and 3, or do I need to get a new one?

I should know this, but I've only ever played it on my girlfriends PS3 and the compatibility on those things confuses me.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    that chorus makes me so happy i bought the plate metal for my pedal. Thats fucking insane.

Irony that the song INDESTRUCTABLE is the one that will kill most pedals?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Really guys I have had my pedal since launch and it doesn't even have a stress mark on it yet. I don't know maybe it's just cause I'm a skinny dude.

I do want to get one of those megapedals though.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So is the Pedal Metal still the generally accepted best drum pedal, or what else have you guys been using? I've been flirting with buying one for a while, mostly for when I have less-delicate friends stomping on my drum set.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I bought that pedal metal thing (i think), just the metal plate and screws, and it seems to be fine. I actually first screwed it on to a broken pedal, and it was fine for a couple months before the BASE snapped in half (because pressing on the top half of the pedal caused the bottom part to raise slightly, and over time it just killed it).

I transferred the metal to the new pedal, and its been going strong since.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, I really want to get one of those modded kick pedals for like $65.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    When my check comes in, I'll see about getting one of those Destroyer pedals people have been raving about (or make my own). It really is the only thing holding me back from gold starring shit on Expert most of the time. I want to get better at doing the pro-heel up method without having my stock pedal detecting extra bass kicks.

Also, I need a real drum throne because using a folding chair isn't always comfortable.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Left Wing jAyLeft Wing jAy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So um...

It's out in the UK, and I'm kind of interested, because I enjoyed GH 3. I had a couple of questions though:

- Is it still a fun game with 2 people? It's likely to be just me and my girlfriend playing 90% of the time, and personally I will never touch the microphone.

- I have GH 3 with 2 wired guitars on the PS2; when's the PS2 version of RB out in the UK (and is the price likely to be the same?)? Will these Guitars be ok? I had completely written off getting another instrument game on the PS2 because of the lack of downloads, but these 'track packs' have made me wonder if it's better to consolidate on my 2-guitar position.

If the PS2 version isn't too hot, then I'll just go for the 360 version.

Left Wing jAy on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I totally agree with you there Arikado.

The kick pedal is top on my list, then a throne.

Though the way money is right now it's going to be while before I get either.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    Guys, totally simple question that I probably should know. I've got Rock Band for 360. Will that guitar work if I pick up Guitar Hero 2 and 3, or do I need to get a new one?

I should know this, but I've only ever played it on my girlfriends PS3 and the compatibility on those things confuses me.

The Rock Band Strat doesn't work with GH3, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work with GH2 360 either. On the flip side you might be able to find a bundle of either GH2 or 3 with one of their respective guitars, and the 360 GH guitars work with Rock Band.
    - Is it still a fun game with 2 people? It's likely to be just me and my girlfriend playing 90% of the time, and personally I will never touch the microphone.

- I have GH 3 with 2 wired guitars on the PS2; when's the PS2 version of RB out in the UK (and is the price likely to be the same?)? Will these Guitars be ok? I had completely written off getting another instrument game on the PS2 because of the lack of downloads, but these 'track packs' have made me wonder if it's better to consolidate on my 2-guitar position.

Two-player is still great. My wife and I have a few bands we rotate around, or we just play for fun. And you say you'll never touch the microphone, but those are famous last words from a lot of people—once you find a song or two you really like it's a ton of fun.

The PS2 wired guitars will work just fine with Rock Band PS2, at least as far as I know. The PS2 version of Rock Band is pretty flimsy—no character creation, no Band World Tour, no online play. The downside of the track pack expansions is that you obviously can't download DLC every week, and you're limited to whatever is on the discs, so you may pay for songs you don't like. But if you just want to play songs and rock without the Band World Tour, it's probably still all right.

Lunker on
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I dunno, I have loads of fun playing with people online. There's less elitism due to there not being any rewards. Unless you're playing for scores, leagues or other stuff the folks at ScoreHero do.

I could see how it would not be fun for someone who is used to having some sort of online achievement or record like other online multiplayer games offer, like GTA4 or CoD4.

It's not that I want an achievement or something, that's not why I play Rock Band. I don't enjoy the online because it drastically pales to playing in person, even with random strangers. Also, when I used to play online there was an annoying percentage of people who drop out early, can't play difficulties they select, refuse to play Bass, pick certain songs over and over etc.

I just don't find Online play to be optimal in Rock Band, or even necessarily necessary.

Endaro on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You should play with PA folks.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So um...

It's out in the UK, and I'm kind of interested, because I enjoyed GH 3. I had a couple of questions though:

Yes, the game rules with 2 people, guitar and drums or guitar and vocals work very nicely. the only way this game suffers is when you play it alone, and even still then it rocks.

The PS2 version lacks a LOT of the cool stuff from the 360/PS3 versions, custom characters, band world tour, and of course online if you ever want to enter that arena.

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    that chorus makes me so happy i bought the plate metal for my pedal. Thats fucking insane.

Haha, actually, all three are like that at parts.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JoahW wrote: »

Haha, actually, all three are like that at parts.

So are the double-bass kicks left in or do they reduce it to half? I grabbed them early this morning but haven't had a chance to try them yet. I've been curious if the Harmonix chart designers might just one day say "fuck it, somebody out there has hardware that can do everything" and just leave all the kicks in for songs that were most definitely not recorded with one pedal.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Someone over on the Rock Band boards says that the RMA party has ended, and they're now requiring proof of purchase within 60 days.

I tried to verify this by making up a fake RMA for drums, and cancelling it - but once I got to the log in screen I couldnt remember my password, and when it did I got some errors, so I just figure its best to leave it alone rather than mistakenly actually putting the RMA through.

But in the process leading up to the log in, they made no mention I'd need a recipt.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Someone over on the Rock Band boards says that the RMA party has ended, and they're now requiring proof of purchase within 60 days.

I tried to verify this by making up a fake RMA for drums, and cancelling it - but once I got to the log in screen I couldnt remember my password, and when it did I got some errors, so I just figure its best to leave it alone rather than mistakenly actually putting the RMA through.

But in the process leading up to the log in, they made no mention I'd need a recipt.

You're probably going to get, like, ten RMA packages arriving at your home in a few days.

:P

I'm digging all three Disturbed songs. 'Course, I knew I would, but I actually didn't expect some of the guitar parts to be a hard as they were. I really like the build-up in Inside the Fire after the solo ends. I missed it the first time, but I imagine hitting the whole thing, combined with the guitar peaking and being the only instrument playing, is going to be fantastic.

Also, the laughing at the beginning it tops. Too bad it's probably a talky part and I'll have to hate it.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Guys, I'm sorry as I know it's in this thread somewhere but I can't find it. Where can I buy the extra awesome pedal for the drums?
    Also, is the pedal more quiet? I only asked because I just moved into a new place on the second floor and I would like to spare my downstairs neighbour the tap tap tap of my foot whilst playing the drums.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Google up Megapedal or Destroyer pedal.

There's a Hardware subforum on the rockband.scorehero.com forums with a bunch of DIY guides.

Arikado on