Options

[WoW] Shammy chat!

• Options
    CursesamuraiCursesamurai Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I sed to do 2v2 with an ele shammy friend. We did alright but now he is resto and we do amazing. We used to cap out around the 2ks and now we are moving to 2100 easy. Water shield is SOOOOOOO amazing in arenas. We had a 14 minute fight with a SL / SL lock and druid...and WE WON! lolz. A shammy out manaing a druid, NEVER thought it would happen but eh, totems and Water shield are OP. ENH shammys will be more and more popular in arenas, and as a full demo lock they still hit me pretty hard. Not as annoying as a GOOD resto shammy but still annoying. Just wanted to pass my love to the sammys out there.

Cursesamurai on
    OEM computers will be the death of us all.
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used the free respec to get my Shaman into Elemental. Not to raid but just to shit around.

It's really fun. I have to say that LO proccing all over the place is so much fun. I went into BGs last night and was tearing it up. I almost respecced again to get the Lightning range talent.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    2.3.2 PTR:

Eyonix:

In an upcoming mini-patch, we're going to be substantially decreasing the mana cost for both earth shield and lightning shield. Additionally, water shield will restore mana periodically regardless of how many charges remain and once again have a ten minute duration. It's important to note that this is NOT a nerf to the ability. The same amount of mana will be restored, just in a different way that is now not so demanding on the player.

Q u o t e:
    Cool.

But what about SR and ES being able to be dispelled?

One thing at a time my friend. We've been pushing for improvement to earth and lightning shield and here are the fruits of our labor. Lets enjoy the victory for at least a little while before we start our next battle. :P

[ Post edited by Eyonix ]

Q u o t e:
    yay!! but how will this affect water shield? passive mp5?

Basically, yes. The water shield will now essentially provide mp5. A very agreeable amount might I add, which also stacks with mana spring. :)

Bigity on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Eh...that's cool I guess.

I kinda liked this version of Water Shield. Especially since if you're Ele or Enhance, it's getting used all the time.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ha, yeah, new version is a buff to resto shammies (and enhance/ele who don't draw aggro in raids/groups. If there are such things. Although, i've noticed that I don't draw aggro as much since the patch.)

But a nerf to soloing.

Word on the street is that the water shield will grant 50 mana/5 (or 600 over a minute).

dojango on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It'll grant 50 mp5 per globe (so 150mp5 to start!) and as they're expended that goes away as well as giving you the 200 mana from being expended.

Opty on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Opty wrote: »
    It'll grant 50 mp5 per globe (so 150mp5 to start!) and as they're expended that goes away as well as giving you the 200 mana from being expended.

I don't think the mp5 is per globe.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zython wrote: »
    I don't think the mp5 is per globe.
    Ah, you're right, I misread "The caster is surrounded by 3 globes of water, granting 50 mana per 5 sec." as "The caster is surrounded by 3 globes of water, each granting 50 mana per 5 sec."

Opty on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The mp5 aspect of Water Shield is something we were pushing for hard earlier this year, when the fix to the windfury staggering was coming our way. I'm freaking ecstatic that Blizzard heard us out on that and implemented it. We were only asking for 20/mp5 too, and we're getting 50. Absolutely astounding.

Edit - Or, well, not implement yet, but it's made patch notes for PTR so yay!

Henroid on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blah, that sucks, I was really looking forward to getting tons of mana return as a solo enhancement shammy.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Blah, that sucks, I was really looking forward to getting tons of mana return as a solo enhancement shammy.

Hmm? Seems that aspect is going to be left unchanged... I'm levelling my shammy enhance with the current version, and I never run outta mana. That plus the new 11 pt talent keeps me going...

But if the changes are still the same, it will buff the solo-enhance shammy's constant mana return (from getting hit), because even when we're not getting hit, we now get 50 mana/5. All the change is doing is making the talent useful for people not getting hit.

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible.

dojango on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I dusted off my old abandoned 42 shaman for an RFD run, respec'd him Stormstrike/Dw, and destroyed that instance. Yeah I know I"m a few lvl's higher than I should be for that instance, but the DPS I was doing seemed a lot higher than when I quit him a few months ago.

Still a fairly boring way to play though :( SS -> Spell ...... Spell ...... SS -> Spell ........ Spell .........

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Uuuhhhgg, I stopped playing this game because of how awful the Enhancement Tree was. Now I see that they made just about every damn change I ever wanted in that tree. You have no idea just how tempted I am to resubscribe right now.

The issue is, I'm on a server with people I would rather not talk to ever again!

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So roll on a different server, or transfer to one if you're not willing to level up (though with the double whammy nerf to leveling difficulty, it's rather fast if you're focused. Fast even compared to how it used to be).

I suggest Area 52, but that's because that's where I am, and I want more enhancement shaman around, as they are awesome.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    Paradox ControlParadox Control Master MC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kainy wrote: »
    So roll on a different server, or transfer to one if you're not willing to level up (though with the double whammy nerf to leveling difficulty, it's rather fast if you're focused. Fast even compared to how it used to be).

I suggest Area 52, but that's because that's where I am, and I want more enhancement shaman around, as they are awesome.
    Well not only the server, but I am really not a fan of there business model right now. Blizzard makes money hand over fist on WoW, theres no reason why I should have to pay for there expantions. Also, I am not a huge fan of the fact that they are upping the level cap again after they said they wouldn't when they were talking about the next expantion almost a year ago. Theres no reason for me to go back and do any of the BC endgame content now IMO because I can go grind to 80 and do the new content in the next expantion instead. I finally understand what the raiders were bitching about pre-bc. Except now its worse IMO because most people wouldn't have time to really enjoy any of that content. Guess I'm not a fan of content made for 10% of the player base, and having to wait a whole year to get content for the other 90% (which I would have to pay for).

Paradox Control on
    \
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kainy wrote: »

Well not only the server, but I am really not a fan of there business model right now. Blizzard makes money hand over fist on WoW, theres no reason why I should have to pay for there expantions. Also, I am not a huge fan of the fact that they are upping the level cap again after they said they wouldn't when they were talking about the next expantion almost a year ago. Theres no reason for me to go back and do any of the BC endgame content now IMO because I can go grind to 80 and do the new content in the next expantion instead. I finally understand what the raiders were bitching about pre-bc. Except now its worse IMO because most people wouldn't have time to really enjoy any of that content. Guess I'm not a fan of content made for 10% of the player base, and having to wait a whole year to get content for the other 90% (which I would have to pay for).

If it makes you feel any better, there have been some blue posts suggesting it could be quite a while before WotLK even comes out. They had some posts saying 'We woould like to do 1 year installments' a few months ago, but there's been some made in the last week or so saying "It'd be great to do 1 year installments, but to continue the kind of quality blizzard is expected of, it's not feasible."

But, really, the expansion should be free. And honestly, server transfers shouldn't be as expensive. So, yeah, I kinda agree with you. Just don't hold your breath for WoTLK.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you want free expansions, then what you'd end up with was BC, but released in small chunks like a zone at a time, every 3 months. The expansions are a significant increase in content, and that takes more development time than the patches that we normally get.

Septus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So, how am I supposed to properly weigh weapon speed on an enhancement shammy? I think I generally want slow mainhand fast offhand(the offhand I'm not positive about) but I'm not sure just how much a slow speed in the mainhand is worse a loss of dps. I could mainhand this Pneumatic Warhammer of the Bandit and offhand my new Grunt's Waraxe, or Mainhand the Waraxe and offhand my Wolfrider's Dagger.

Septus on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure that the best way to go is have a 2.6 speed weapon in both hands. I'm no expert on Enhancement, but that's what I remember hearing.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, you want a slow mainhand and offhand. Sadly there's not a lot of choices for a slow offhand. It's one of the barriers standing in the way of me eventually coming full circle and going back to enhancement.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that they converted some of the previous mainhand drops into one-hand drops. That was nice of them, seems like there's a lot more options than I remember now.

Entriech on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Entriech wrote: »
    Yeah, you want a slow mainhand and offhand. Sadly there's not a lot of choices for a slow offhand. It's one of the barriers standing in the way of me eventually coming full circle and going back to enhancement.

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that they converted some of the previous mainhand drops into one-hand drops. That was nice of them, seems like there's a lot more options than I remember now.

Your offhand choice is still limited to Fool's Bane, Rising Tide, Netherbane or a S2/3 weapon based solely on the fact that your offhand is effectively a stat stick. There's also a lot of variables that determine a good off-hand for a Shaman (hit is less important, STR > AP, etc.) that will make you want to use a Fool's Bane over a Fury as a Shaman even though it's like 8 DPS lower.

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2&filter=qu=3:4;sl=22:13;minrl=68;ub=7;cr=36;crs=1;crv=2.5

Options are still limited, S3 weapons still blow away all PvE drops. Clearly Blizzard thought itemization out properly.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I got it confused with warriors that seem to have more options for weapon speeds. However, I do see that in 2.3, flametongue got enough of a buff, that with a good haste rating, a fast offhand with flametongue is extremely close to two slow weapons both with windfury.

Also, Water Shield, holy shit, I never could have imagined.

Septus on
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, you know. All of the simluations that were done that showed +hit is a poor stat for enhancement assumed (because of limiting in the programming) a windfury proc every 3 seconds, every single time. That sort of ignores the primary function of +hit, which is to increase the chance of windfury procs in a given timeframe by giving you more chances by landing more swings.

Gooo biased data?

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You get an innate 9% hit from talents which, in conjuction with un-avoidable hit gains from gear, is enough for every WF strike and Stormstrike to hit. Combined with Flurry you're looking at a total of ~12 melee attacks per 10 second interval and assuming a ~10% miss rate, you're still in the ballpark for maintaining WF at a regular rate.

Even if you assume that every 3rd sequence of WF won't proc and you'll have a cooldown of ~2 seconds before another goes off, hit rating will not help you increase the probability at a substantial rate.

The modeling for WF in regards to hit is intentionally skewed to de-value hit rating because keeping Flurry up is far more important than hit when it comes to the sheer number of attacks capable of triggering a Windfury vs. the probability that they will hit.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    False logic, when windfury comes off of cooldown, the likelihood of you proccing windfury on the very next swing is (20% X (76% base hit + hit %.)) The point being, the likelihood of you being on windfury the moment your cooldown comes up is less than 20%, which means that you aren't going to be on cooldown all the time.

If you're not on cooldown all the time (and you aren't,) then the simulation models are all a lie, because they assume that as a basic truth.

Which devalues hit with no basis in reality.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm having trouble deciding on badge rewards. Right now, my gear is as show in my sig, with Earthblood Chestguard, Dragon-Quake Shoulderpads, and Belt of Gale Force to switch into for fights that require high stam/damage mitigation (Aran, Nightbane, Gruul, etc.). However, I have about 100 badges, and think I should spend them. I was thinking about getting Treads of the Life Path to replace my leather PvP boots (which happen to also be good for PvE), and one other thing. Any suggestions?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So is enhancement viable in arenas yet?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ha ha, no.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Ryokaze wrote: »
    False logic, when windfury comes off of cooldown, the likelihood of you proccing windfury on the very next swing is (20% X (76% base hit + hit %.)) The point being, the likelihood of you being on windfury the moment your cooldown comes up is less than 20%, which means that you aren't going to be on cooldown all the time.

If you're not on cooldown all the time (and you aren't,) then the simulation models are all a lie, because they assume that as a basic truth.

Except the many log parses and meters which show upping hit at the cost of crit and ap causes DPS to go down.

Bigity on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    Ha ha, no.

A girl can dream I guess

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bigity wrote: »
    Ryokaze wrote: »

Except the many log parses and meters which show upping hit at the cost of crit and ap causes DPS to go down.

I'll look some of the tests up. Every single one of the log parses I've seen has involved taking a set of lower ilvl items with hit vs. a set of higher ilvl items without hit. I've never seen an objective test which trades, say, 8 crit for 8 hit, or 16 attack power for 8 hit, like you might get with... I don't know, gem swaps. Of course lower amounts of stats are going to net you less damage.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well you aren't going to find exact matches plus or minus hit. That's part of the point actually. Stacking hit reduces your crit/ap and lowers your DPS.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bigity wrote: »
    Well you aren't going to find exact matches plus or minus hit. That's part of the point actually. Stacking hit reduces your crit/ap and lowers your DPS.

Why not? I hear gems are exactly equivalent.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I guess it depends on how much difference in hit you can manage. It has to be a big enough difference to be statistically viable.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    8 slots or more is pretty common nowadays, so you could have a 64 point swing in +hit. Regardless, the point is that those tests were conducted under false pretenses and blatantly untrue assumptions on how the game works, so the results are biased towards... not being true.

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The results are actually pretty hard to argue with. The method used to prove it mathematically might be debatable, but you have alot of high end raid guys with alot of good gear for either way testing them both in-game and raising hit at the expense of crit and ap is a sure way to lower DPS.

If you can come up with some tests and test results, that would be a better way to get people to listen to ya in general. I mean, considering the value placed on the EJ thread and all.

Bigity on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gentlemen, the simple solution to this argument is to not spec Enhancement.

Axon on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm not, I'm resto :D

Leveling a hunter for the pewpew.

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It doesn't really matter to me, Mauro rapes damage meters using a bunch of +hit gems just fine. Doesn't it seem odd to you that some 'tests' with such poor methodology are used as gospel though?

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    His hit rating is only 92, he's hardly at the effective cap where socketing hit would be retarded.

Mgcw on
This discussion has been closed.