As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ROCK BAND: The world loves wannabes...

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bah, apparently I've forgotten how to play. I can't beat "Where'd You Go" by Mighty Mighty Bosstones on Hard :( I think I finally need to learn how to alt strum for that one.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I jammed the shit out of my ring finger play flag football, so i'm probably going to lay off RB for a few days. :(

Hell, who'm I kidding... I'm sure I'll be playing thru the pain tomorrow for YYZ for sure.

Also, new avatar, yay. Didn't seem right having a Smash orb since I haven't touched SSBB since the online turned out to be terrible.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aww, but now I can't identify your posts at a glance. D:

Any guesses on when the DLC usually goes up?

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    3 - 4 am EST Leaning later

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Aww, but now I can't identify your posts at a glance. D:

Any guesses on when the DLC usually goes up?

I concur, it always throws me for a loop when a prevalent forumer changes their avatar.

Also, mmmm, Bandages. And She Sells Sanctuary. Sooo good.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I need to stop playing Rock Band so late......

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    EVERYONE BUY SHOOT THE RUNNER TOMORROW. :D

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So it's time for me to do NAAM, right? Get me a soundguy, dig?
    Screen's all "Do this song without overdrive and get 5 stars and get tons of fans blah blah blah", and I'm like, "Sure thing Boss, but this is a four song set..."

It proceeds to be a five song set...
    ...of Master Exploder, The Trees, Everlong, Down with the Sickness, and Ace of Spades.

I manage to 5-star all but Master Exploder, which I was lucky to survive sans OD.
    At the tally screen it tells me BIGGEST SHOW EVER!

- 6,332,485 fans.

:(

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sort of an awkward question, and doesn't really related to RB, but anyone with photoshop, picture altering skills would be awesome:
    I'm trying to shrink this image to fit in the 64x64 avatar size, but all I have to do it with is MSpaint. Thus why it looks all shitty pixilated on the side.

If someone could shrink it for me, I'd be your best friend for like a whole page.

Normal_minibobomb.jpg

Kor on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Small_minibobomb.jpg

That was easy.

Get GIMP.

Schide on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bombcx0.png

though it appears i've been beaten

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It does look better without the back though, Feels Good Man, if I might say so.

metaghost on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah but yours is transparent so that's probably better.

Schide on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Another interesting feature regarding your band roster.

I was playing solo on some Tour Challenge when I saw the pop up "A band member wishes to join the group" which I thought was pretty neat.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    I need to stop playing Rock Band so late......

That's a common misconception.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey, Stride gave me a code for a free song.

And Amazon shipped my ION kit earlier today!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just read the news about us aussies getting RB1. Heh.

Totally ridiculous. I'm just going to wait for GH:WT.

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm 20 points shy of being able to get Moving Pictures AND Shoot the Runner.

So I'm going to have to hold off on Shoot the Runner for the moment.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    YYZ is fucking awesome. This chart is a lot more fun than the GH2 version. I need to give bass a spin later.

Also, Tom Sawyer note chart is a lot better than the cover version's chart. Limelight is pretty much the same in terms of progression but a lot better sounding.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Huuuurrrgh there's a part in a later solo in The Camera Eye that comes out of nowhere on guitar.

I sightread all the other songs and got 5 stars on them but that failed me out quick. Not really feeling like trying again since it's so long.

I'll try drums later today.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh god the light show at the beginning of Camera Eye is so fucking awesome.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Alright, I bought all the tracks this morning. If you're looking for a major challenge in your songs then most of these won't suit you.

Having said that - if you're the type of player who just gets into the music and doesn't give a shit about charting as long as it doesn't bore you half to death - these guitar tracks are all awesome. I won't break it down individually for every song but I'll mention, among other things, that Love Spreads is a fucking blast. Lots of stuff going on but if you're a competent Expert player then it won't send you into the red.

Limelight's subtle changes may not be worth the cash if you've got the cover and aren't a big Rush fan - but if you are then I certainly enjoy the changes enough to not feel gypped.

Witch Hunt is a slow song - if you go in expecting a chart that keeps you on your toes you'll be disappointed. I love the song and the chart fits well so I love the chart.

You're No Rock N' Roll Fun is probably impossible to play and stand completely still.

Shoot the Runner's solo sections are... weird. I didn't do too well but it was my first time even hearing them. If you're used to the song I imagine that would help immensely but it caught me off guard.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, YYZ:
    "YYZ"--Rush. This is an instrument track only and cannot be played by vocalists.

This at least shows that they're willing to do songs that don't have all four parts. My hope for In The Air Tonight grows ever closer.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Omeks wrote: »
    Harmonix: Our plan for world domination is working. Soon we will pollute the masses with 'Rock Band 2 facts' misinformation. We'll start with telling them the wrong birthdays for rock stars. Eventually, we'll have them buying into a global pyramid scheme involving a hose nozzle and a bucket of weasels. We'll be millionaires.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Dammit....

CHANGE PLANS, THEY KNOW EVERYTHING!!!

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So since no one has mentioned it:

DAMN Bandages is fun. DAMNNNNN. Guitar is just awesome. Not hard - just pure, pure awesome. And the drums are great too.

Sorrow is alright on guitar - it's very repetitive and has a strum pattern that I think a LOT of people will hate (its that "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" chorus pattern), but damn the drums are hard. It's the standard punk beat that people either just know how to play instantly or cant play at all, and I'm the latter.

And YYZ on drums is fucking hard.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm totally in love with that Dream Theater song, and I need to spend some time playing it on drums and see if I can actually get through it. I got through it on my second try last night on guitar, and now that I know the riffs and overall sense of the song I want to give the drums another shot. The first time I tried it, it was an Expert-level sight read in a store kiosk—and the first time I had ever heard the song—so you can imagine how terrible I was. D:

I can't wait to tear through Moving Pictures tonight, and I know I'm going to get at least some of the singles but I'm not sure which ones yet. That Sleater-Kinney song sounds infectious, though.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll be scavenging for guitar and drum YouTube videos and then picking through this DLC. All these glowing reviews give me high hopes that I can send Harmonix all my money again this week.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How to make your own Stephen Colbert, courtesy of the Colbert Nation.
    My mind is kissin' you

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    A little more RB2 drum insight:

The bubbly drum is like the beating heart in Poe's "tell tale heart" to me. It sits in my room and just stares at me and make me unconfident about my drumming abilities. So like any good raging psychopath would do, I dismantled the drum today.

I was very surprised at what I saw. It popped off with a little bit of pulling, but nothing snapped or broke - just rubber pegs holding it in. The inside is almost all foam, with the drum head actually being a very very slim disc. Unfortunatley, the "core" where it's bubbling is just some kind of metal half-sphere, with what appears to be a band-aid holding what I think is the sensor in. So because Im not too tech-savvy, I stopped there rather than unscrew the metal and try to re-attach the stray rubber causing the bubble.

Then I re-calibrated lag and figured I'd just accept whatever they gave me. They gave me 70 and 35, 70 being higher than anything Ive ever gotten -- and hey! My fills are about 300 times better. And Ive noticed by pressing down on the bubble, I can get it to re-adhere for a song or two.

The red drum is still noticeably louder, but it still works perfectly. I was doing some reading on a problem where the pedal is actually timed differently than the pads (the pedal is an instant hit, the pads are slightly lagged), and I do think that's apparent. My fills sound almost perfectly in time now, but Im missing a lot more pedal hits than I ever was.

But overall I have some hope. I still think I'm going to wait for the bundles to come out (because it's still within my 60 days...Im assuming RB2 won't have the unlimited trade in's RB1 had), and see what happens then in terms of model numbers and such, and most likely RMA it then. It works, but with a real loud red pad now (Id say RB1 loud), I'd like to get a kit thats quiet and bouncy all the way around.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Grabbed Moving Pictures, "Shoot the Runner" and "Bandages". As noted by the thread title, disappointed that "...she's my queen....BITCH!" is missing throughout "Shoot the Runner". Nonetheless, it's a short, easy song and it's actually fun to sing.
    I did a quick run of "Tom Sawyer" and the slight differences in Overdrive pathing confuse me having been used to the cover. I'll get over it quick enough.

"Bandages" is a fun song all around. And yeah, "YYZ" doesn't even show up in the song selection for me. I'll try out the drums on it later today.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    zeppelinzeppelin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm having this weird bug where maybe one time I can access all my DLC, another time I can't. Still signed onto the account that bought them.

It's pissing me off cause I can't play Rush atm.

zeppelin on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I cannot wait until Thursday. I may have to call in sick to work so that I can play She Sells Sanctuary all day.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

The bubbly drum is like the beating heart in Poe's "tell tale heart" to me. It sits in my room and just stares at me and make me unconfident about my drumming abilities. So like any good raging psychopath would do, I dismantled the drum today.

I was very surprised at what I saw. It popped off with a little bit of pulling, but nothing snapped or broke - just rubber pegs holding it in. The inside is almost all foam, with the drum head actually being a very very slim disc. Unfortunatley, the "core" where it's bubbling is just some kind of metal half-sphere, with what appears to be a band-aid holding what I think is the sensor in. So because Im not too tech-savvy, I stopped there rather than unscrew the metal and try to re-attach the stray rubber causing the bubble.

Then I re-calibrated lag and figured I'd just accept whatever they gave me. They gave me 70 and 35, 70 being higher than anything Ive ever gotten -- and hey! My fills are about 300 times better. And Ive noticed by pressing down on the bubble, I can get it to re-adhere for a song or two.

The red drum is still noticeably louder, but it still works perfectly. I was doing some reading on a problem where the pedal is actually timed differently than the pads (the pedal is an instant hit, the pads are slightly lagged), and I do think that's apparent. My fills sound almost perfectly in time now, but Im missing a lot more pedal hits than I ever was.

But overall I have some hope. I still think I'm going to wait for the bundles to come out (because it's still within my 60 days...Im assuming RB2 won't have the unlimited trade in's RB1 had), and see what happens then in terms of model numbers and such, and most likely RMA it then. It works, but with a real loud red pad now (Id say RB1 loud), I'd like to get a kit thats quiet and bouncy all the way around.

It's good to hear that your drums are working better, even though they look and sound ghetto, and that your fills are sounding better. My own fills are still fairly lagged, but I'm hesitant to adjust my settings as they're perfect right now. I haven't futzed around in the calibration menu, but if you go in can you view the settings that you currently have and then manually input them again later if you change them? I should write these down just to have things solid. I only ran calibration once and it seemed fine, but calibration in general seems like the kind of thing where the harder you focus on it, the more difficult it becomes to pin down.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

And the weird thing about my fills is they're just never on time at the start of them - almost like it may be something they can patch. I feel like I play catch up with all my fills, and if I power through them without listening, they end up timed out perfectly by the end. Its just the first note - on almost any pad (although the sound of the snare makes red seem like the biggest culprit), is slightly delayed, and then it catches up. I tried a fast roll - same speed as the one in the song (On Bandages), and in the fill section its just a jumble of snare notes, but actually ends up sounding kinda like a roll - in the actual song I nail it. Weird.

It's good to hear that your drums are working better, even though they look and sound ghetto, and that your fills are sounding better. My own fills are still fairly lagged, but I'm hesitant to adjust my settings as they're perfect right now. I haven't futzed around in the calibration menu, but if you go in can you view the settings that you currently have and then manually input them again later if you change them? I should write these down just to have things solid. I only ran calibration once and it seemed fine, but calibration in general seems like the kind of thing where the harder you focus on it, the more difficult it becomes to pin down.

YES - do that! haha, I had them great at first and thought I'd tweak and its been like 5 days of trying to get it back. If you go into calibrate, just hit yellow (pad or fret) and it lets you manually input a number - your current number is the starting point. Just dont change anything and hit confirm. Then repeat for video.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yay! I finally got UPS notice that my RMA drums have shipped. Estimated delivery of this Friday. Even though it took them plenty of time to get the ball rolling, a week and a half for a pair of drums isn't really that bad.

Kor on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think Maps on expert is where I need to learn to stomp on the pedal instead of pushing it with the front of my foot. The song is fairly easy, but around 75% through my leg just turns into a lump of meat and I can't feel anything and really have no idea if I'm hitting any of the bass pedal. Ouch.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    "Stomp" is probably not a good way to describe it, but yea you'll find that the other muscles in your leg are a lot stronger.

Bama on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is there a customer support number for the Drum Rocker folks? I have some asses I need to kick.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'll PM it to you.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    "Stomp" is probably not a good way to describe it, but yea you'll find that the other muscles in your leg are a lot stronger.

Yeah, I just mean kind of lifting the whole foot up and using my leg muscles (like I've seen a lot of real drummers do) a bit more, as my ankle is obviously not strong enough yet.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg