As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    I just don't see why people are taking the inclusion of a camera, which is essentially adding on a peripheral, as implying that this is going to be a new, more powerful system, the next in the generational cycle of handheld consoles.

"DSi Software" simply means software that uses the Camera, or the save function for files using the microphone.

Correct. It will be sold on the shelf alongside DS games and be properly labeled so people know whether they can use it or not.

Meaning, there will be more DSi-specific software than just the downloadable stuff.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just don't see why people are taking the inclusion of a camera, which is essentially adding on a peripheral, as implying that this is going to be a new, more powerful system, the next in the generational cycle of handheld consoles.

"DSi Software" simply means software that uses the Camera, or the save function for files using the microphone.

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that certain games might incorporate the camera. It's not a foregone conclusion and we can't really say one way or the other, but the possibility exists.

Outside of the camera, we already know that there are going to be DSi-specific games. Hell, the first games that Reggie announced were retooled version of Brain Age 1 and 2. Whether it's on a cart or downloadable doesn't really make a difference.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »
    GimeC wrote: »
    Um.

A Cave Story remake for Wiiware announced.

...aahsahdbsHOLYCRAP.

WHAT.

You give me a link this instant or you're a goddamned liar and you're going to hell

http://gonintendo.com/?p=58030#more-58030

heeheeheewd6.png

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    So does this Wii version of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 mean i get Metroid Prime 3 controls on those two games.
    Because if so, I'm gonna have to find a nintendo representative.
    And hug them.

No confirmation one way or the other as of yet.

Then I shall continue to cross my fingers.

I don't see why they'd make Wii versions of the games and not add Wii controls to them.

Otherwise they'd call it something like the "Gamecube Legacy Collection" and just rerelease the GC discs on the cheap.

Also, it can't be a coincidence that most of the games mentioned would most likely benefit greatly from added Wii functionality, specifically the pointer, which would probably not be extremely hard to integrate into the games.

Good points.

I'd certainly hope that they take these games, most of which would benefit greatly, and add great Wii control configs. And release them for very, very budget prices.

Then again, they could be going the Capcom route (Resident Evil 0 and what have you).

slash000 on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Huh, Wii Music is actually starting to sound a little interesting.
    9:37: JC is talking about how you can improvise, slow down... in the hands of a skilled player, a song will sound better. Do a reggae version of the Super Mario theme song, or speed metal, or barbershop quartet.

9:38: Wii Music demo. He says there's Wi-Fi interference interfering with his playing. Shaking the nunchuk to put vibrato into his guitar playing.

9:39: They've prepared a demo for us today, another NOA employee gets up on stage, he's playing the ukelele... Well, okay. Honestly, I'm starting to get it -- I still don't quite know if it'll take off with musicians or core gamers, but the idea is that you can improvise and make your own version of a song.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Did you guys not see the screen I posted last page?

donkeycd7.jpg

Notice the remote and chuck there? In a Gamecube game?

Now of course that does not guarantee the pointer in MP1&2, but it makes it pretty likely I'd say.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I did see that, Sporky. But something like that is pretty easy to fake... Is there a more reliable source of that photo besides another gaming thread?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I did see that, Sporky. But something like that is pretty easy to fake... Is there a more reliable source of that photo besides another gaming thread?

Yes. I spoke to Mr. Reggie Fils-Aime this morning and over tea he told me that he did not photoshop it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

TubaFrog wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Oh man, Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with Corruption controls? Day one.

If that happens. I've seen the DK screenshot, but I'm still not convinced that these are anything more than re-releases....

Check out the videos here:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/09.html

(for DKJB and Pikmin, at least)

DK video with wii-mote icons good enough for you? Learn to trust!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man, the Primes and the Pikmins with pointer functionality.

It's too good NOT to be true.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really dig the Wii speak channel

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Does Cave Story appearing on WiiWare mean they're loosening up the requirements for people to release games on it?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If that happens. I've seen the DK screenshot, but I'm still not convinced that these are anything more than re-releases....

The Pikmin video looks like it uses the pointer, as unusually jittery and quick as the cursor is there. Regardless the title screen says press A, and the A is the remote's A.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    I really dig the Wii speak channel

Woah! That whole link should be made much bigger and put in the OP!

Official English translation of full conference complete with screens.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

The Pikmin video looks like it uses the pointer, as unusually jittery and quick as the cursor is there. Regardless the title screen says press A, and the A is the remote's A.

OK.

Those videos actually show the icons for the Wii Remote (check out Jungle Beat).

That's the kind of evidence I was looking for. It's a hell of a lot more reliable and substantial than the screenshot.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    From that press conference overview site:
    As the very first software title to be offered through "DSi Shop," Nintendo will start distributing "DSi Browser" free of charge simultaneously with the launch of DSi.

The "DSi Browser" is an internet browser, co-developed by Opera and Nintendo and comprehensively tuned exclusively for Nintendo DSi.

This tuning made the browser faster, and now that it can be incorporated into the device, the utility aspect has been significantly enhanced.

Furthermore, when we enabled faster communications for DSi Browser and DSi Shop, we also achieved faster WiFi communications for Nintendo DSi. When you use the WiFi function of existing Nintendo DS software, the speed does not increase. However, for the software specifically made for Nintendo DSi, it is possible to realize faster communications.

I wonder what he means by "tuning." Still I hope it means the browser is somehow better than the browser that has already been released.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    there's even an audio english translation of this years keynote with SLIDES

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hope I haven't arrived at this party too late, but...

The video for Sega's "Let's Tap" game...

What the fuck?

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As the very first software title to be offered through "DSi Shop," Nintendo will start distributing "DSi Browser" free of charge simultaneously with the launch of DSi.

The "DSi Browser" is an internet browser, co-developed by Opera and Nintendo and comprehensively tuned exclusively for Nintendo DSi.

This tuning made the browser faster, and now that it can be incorporated into the device, the utility aspect has been significantly enhanced.

Furthermore, when we enabled faster communications for DSi Browser and DSi Shop, we also achieved faster WiFi communications for Nintendo DSi. When you use the WiFi function of existing Nintendo DS software, the speed does not increase. However, for the software specifically made for Nintendo DSi, it is possible to realize faster communications.

I wonder what he means by "tuning." Still I hope it means the browser is somehow better than the browser that has already been released.

okay, this right here pretty much means the DSi has to have (at least) more RAM than the DS(Lite), because you can't run Opera on 4 MB. The DS web browser needed an extra 8 in the GBA slot.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, it means the DSi has to have more RAM than the DS. And since the RAM isn't constrained by the GBA slot's bandwidth and addressing limitations, it's guaranteed to be better at least speed-wise.

Edit: Wow, beaten by seconds.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone have any details on this "improved audio" that's mentioned in the Slashdot story?
    "The DSi has a bigger screen, an SD card expansion, a 0.3 megapixel camera, is thinner (no GBA slot), and has improved audio. To be released in Japan on November 1st, everywhere else sometime in 2009."

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well, it means the DSi has to have more RAM than the DS. And since the RAM isn't constrained by the GBA slot's bandwidth and addressing limitations, it's guaranteed to be better at least speed-wise.

But he also says something about achieving faster wifi functions in general, which isn't normally RAM-related, right?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

But he also says something about achieving faster wifi functions in general, which isn't normally RAM-related, right?

Please let this mean .11g with WPA please let this mean .11g with WPA

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Anyone have any details on this "improved audio" that's mentioned in the Slashdot story?
    "The DSi has a bigger screen, an SD card expansion, a 0.3 megapixel camera, is thinner (no GBA slot), and has improved audio. To be released in Japan on November 1st, everywhere else sometime in 2009."

This is all the press conference site says:
    We have also improved both the speaker volume and sound quality. They may sound unspectacular, but we recon that they are meaningful improvements.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    hurumph.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If the GCN remakes are nothing more than a swapping of controls (ignoring 16:9), would it still be possible to save to a GCN memory card?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I am in love with the DSi. This is what I want in my pants.... pocket...

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has it been mentioned yet that Club Nintendo is coming to NA (finally)?
    Um.

...aahsahdbsHOLYCRAP.

YES

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    BTP wrote: »
    If the GCN remakes are nothing more than a swapping of controls (ignoring 16:9), would it still be possible to save to a GCN memory card?

Ooh, good point. Can we use old saves? Probably not. I would assume we save to the same place as other Wii games, it looks like they're getting the full treatment.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Ooh, good point. Can we use old saves? Probably not. I would assume we save to the same place as other Wii games, it looks like they're getting the full treatment.

I don't see any reason why we can't have the option.

"Save game now? Yes/No" Yes

"Where? Wii memory/GCN memory/SD card"

Smash Bros. Brawl does this somewhat with the photo taking. It couldn't be that hard to implement.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Um.

...aahsahdbsHOLYCRAP.

What?

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Does Cave Story appearing on WiiWare mean they're loosening up the requirements for people to release games on it?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I hope so! Granted, Defend Your Castle and World of Goo are both by small developers, so this is probably the beginning of a trend.

GimeC on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yeah, sure I post photoshopped picture that is directly from Famitsu's homepage. :(

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Smash Bros. Brawl does this somewhat with the photo taking. It couldn't be that hard to implement.

Not hard to implement to be sure, but precedent tells me it's not happening. The games are essentially new creations and have no reason to be saved to the Cube cards besides using the saves cross-version. Which I doubt they'll allow, whether it makes sense or not.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not hard to implement to be sure, but precedent tells me it's not happening. The games are essentially new creations and have no reason to be saved to the Cube cards besides using the saves cross-version. Which I doubt they'll allow, whether it makes sense or not.

You'd think they could do the "one-time import" thing, where it can read from a Cube memory card and write it to the Wii memory/SD card.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    FFCC: Echos of Time for the Wii and DS (consoles) looks sweet, as well as Phantasy Star Zero.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This page says 3800 yen for DKJungleBeat and Pikmin; About what would that be in US monies again?

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »

This is all the press conference site says:
    We have also improved both the speaker volume and sound quality. They may sound unspectacular, but we recon that they are meaningful improvements.

This doesn't get enough attention. As fantastic as the Lite is, one significant downgrade from the Phat is that the speakers just don't have that oomph anymore. If they could even just restore the power that was in the original speakers, it would already be a significant enough upgrade from the Lite to justify a purchase (that and the larger screens).

SimBen on
    sig.gif