As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TubaFrog wrote: »
    This page says 3800 yen for DKJungleBeat and Pikmin; About what would that be in US monies again?

I'm guessing about $40 when they hit stateside (comes out to $36, technically).

Then again they could be awesome and release them at $30.

e: Yeah, nicer speakers would be great for Guitar He....oh.

Seriously, though, the speakers on the lite are one of the few problems I have with the system.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think it would be $30. Most new Wii games are 5800 yen, and get released here for $50. I'm guessing it would be the same deal.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All of these new DS games including (and especially) Phantasy Star Zero look too good to be real. I would imagine that the world will end before I ever get to play these... I am dreaming.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Oh man, Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with Corruption controls? Day one.

If that happens. I've seen the DK screenshot, but I'm still not convinced that these are anything more than re-releases....

Check out the videos here:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/09.html

(for DKJB and Pikmin, at least)

Nice to know for sure that these are Wii versions and not just re-releases.

I'll probably end up buying Cave Story when it comes out for WiiWare. It's amazing that such a great game is available for free.

Peewi on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »
    Does Cave Story appearing on WiiWare mean they're loosening up the requirements for people to release games on it?

Yes, Nintendo only requires that you do testing and get the game ESRB rated

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    This page says 3800 yen for DKJungleBeat and Pikmin; About what would that be in US monies again?

Thanks!

Oh, I just noticed that page has this text which explains this line, called "Play On", in a pretty straightforward way:
    Furthermore, we are completely redesigning seven GameCube titles so that, starting from the end of this year, we will launch them as Wii titles.

Our research has revealed that, due to the fact that the GameCube hardware had not sufficiently penetrated into the market, there were the applicable titles that many people were interested in but, in the end, did not purchase to play. In other words, such titles still have market potential.
    As the Wii hardware has the compatibility with GameCube, it can run GameCube software just as they are. On the other hand, among GameCube titles are the ones which are well suited for the new play controls using the Wii Remote. We now introduce you to "Play On Wii" Selection which were originally the GameCube games but we have thoroughly redesigned the play control to be adapted to the new play control of Wii.
    All the titles are the ones which can be loved by many regardless of when we launch in the market. We would like to re-launch them with the new play control.

This would seem to confirm that Metroid would also be getting the Wii controls. Not so much about any other potential improvements/additions though.

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Does Cave Story appearing on WiiWare mean they're loosening up the requirements for people to release games on it?

And translate to French and German (maybe also Spanish and Italian, I'm not sure) to release in Europe. And get it rated by PEGI because ESRB is America only.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Thanks!

Oh, I just noticed that page has this text which explains this line, called "Play On", in a pretty straightforward way:
    Furthermore, we are completely redesigning seven GameCube titles so that, starting from the end of this year, we will launch them as Wii titles.

Our research has revealed that, due to the fact that the GameCube hardware had not sufficiently penetrated into the market, there were the applicable titles that many people were interested in but, in the end, did not purchase to play. In other words, such titles still have market potential.
    As the Wii hardware has the compatibility with GameCube, it can run GameCube software just as they are. On the other hand, among GameCube titles are the ones which are well suited for the new play controls using the Wii Remote. We now introduce you to "Play On Wii" Selection which were originally the GameCube games but we have thoroughly redesigned the play control to be adapted to the new play control of Wii.
    All the titles are the ones which can be loved by many regardless of when we launch in the market. We would like to re-launch them with the new play control.

This would seem to confirm that Metroid would also be getting the Wii controls. Not so much about any other potential improvements/additions though.

Man.

My wallet is fucked already with the new 360 and Wii releases coming up. I have a feeling I will be buying a lot of ramen noodles in the near future.

Nickle on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So what's the deal with the US Club Nintendo now?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »

And translate to French and German (maybe also Spanish and Italian, I'm not sure) to release in Europe. And get it rated by PEGI because ESRB is America only.

Attention Europeans whining about game delays: Figured out why yet? :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Also: Does this mean I should actually bother registering my games with Nintendo now?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Also: Does this mean I should actually bother registering my games with Nintendo now?

I think the jury's still out on whether it's going to be super-awesome like the JP Club, or blazingly mediocre like the EU Club. :|

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Holy crap!
    Prime 1 and 2, Sin and Punishment 2, Punch-Out, Cave Story

All good but Mario and Luigi 3 to top it all off?! I'm happy but GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!

Totally makes up for the abysmal E3 for me. Who knows I might even plug in my Wii within the next year!

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hopefully M&L3 will be good like the first one and not boring and mediocre like the second one.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Anyone have any details on this "improved audio" that's mentioned in the Slashdot story?
    "The DSi has a bigger screen, an SD card expansion, a 0.3 megapixel camera, is thinner (no GBA slot), and has improved audio. To be released in Japan on November 1st, everywhere else sometime in 2009."

This is all the press conference site says:
    We have also improved both the speaker volume and sound quality. They may sound unspectacular, but we recon that they are meaningful improvements.

The DS's sound chip currently only does 32KHz, and this is probably getting bumped up to 44KHz since the new version has an MP3 player. (Current DS MP3-playing software, i.e. Moonshell, needs to downsample to the lower frequency, which results in a loss in sound quality).

Daedalus on
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So let me get this straight - Nintendo is releasing upgraded GameCube games for the Wii, complete with new controls and 16:9 display? Are you telling me I'll be able to play Metroid Prime, the best god damn game of last generation, with better controls and graphics (resolution, not talking about more pixels or whatnot)? And it will be relatively cheap?

Because if that is what you're telling me, then I'm going to shit myself.

Yeah, just did.

Graviija on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm wondering if the current generation of Slot1 loaders are still going to work on the DSi.

And if the hopefully added RAM means that we can run homebrew Quake/Quake II without the need for the now-missing GBA port. :D

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Thanks!

Man.

My wallet is fucked already with the new 360 and Wii releases coming up. I have a feeling I will be buying a lot of ramen noodles in the near future.

Does it say anywhere what 7 games specifically? I see DK and Pikmin on the site but nothing else. Everyone is talking about Prime 1&2 but where is this?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2008

Thanks!

Man.

Does it say anywhere what 7 games specifically? I see DK and Pikmin on the site but nothing else. Everyone is talking about Prime 1&2 but where is this?

Someone posted a list from Famitsu. It had Prime 1 and 2 on it. Also some other stuff.

EDIT: found it:
    Okay, too much stuff going on, but apparently Wii remakes of GC games? Pikmin and DK: Jungle Beat and according to the poster above me, MP1 and 2. Any others?

List from Famitsu:

Chibi Robo
    Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
    Pikmin
    Pikmin 2
    Mario Tennis GC
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I just want Super Mario Sunshine.

And possibly Wind Waker.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm wondering if the current generation of Slot1 loaders are still going to work on the DSi.

And if the hopefully added RAM means that we can run homebrew Quake/Quake II without the need for the now-missing GBA port. :D

I'm guessing that major changes to libfat and RAMAPI will need to happen, and everything that uses them will need to be recompiled.

which is fine for open-source stuff like Quake but not so much for some other programs, unfortunately.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    As I posted in that other thread:

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    From the way the press conference went, it looks as though Nintendo is encouraging developers to (literally) repackage their GC games for Wii for a wider audience, and I whole heartidly support this. Soul Calibur 2 with online and less (a lot less) Ivy nudity would be a great thing. Also from Nintendo I'm looking forward to some Mario Sunshine with Wii Specific controls.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

I think the jury's still out on whether it's going to be super-awesome like the JP Club, or blazingly mediocre like the EU Club. :|

Well, it couldn't be possibly worse than what we have now (i.e. nothing).

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    From the way the press conference went, it looks as though Nintendo is encouraging developers to (literally) repackage their GC games for Wii for a wider audience, and I whole heartidly support this. Soul Calibur 2 with online and less (a lot less) Ivy nudity would be a great thing. Also from Nintendo I'm looking forward to some Mario Sunshine with Wii Specific controls.

The problem with this is you still need a GC controller to play GC games. I don't see how they could just flat out repackage games with a Wii label without a lot of people pissed that "oh btw, you need to buy a controller, the only good one of which we discontinued, have fun".

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CLUB.NINTENDO!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited October 2008

The problem with this is you still need a GC controller to play GC games. I don't see how they could just flat out repackage games with a Wii label without a lot of people pissed that "oh btw, you need to buy a controller, the only good one of which we discontinued, have fun".

And a GC memory card if you want to save. I think it'd be very hard to find an official one of those.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damnit, I don't wanna buy Pikmin and Prime 1 again, but the prospect of using motion controls in games that greatly benefit from them... Nintendo sure knows how to make us buy multiple copies of the same game/console.

Wind Waker with waggle (just not for using the sword) please.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

And a GC memory card if you want to save. I think it'd be very hard to find an official one of those.

I think mekman means repackage the games like Nintendo is doing: on a Wii disc, with Wii controls.

All playing SC with waggle. Swing up or down for vertical attack, left or right for horizontal, A kicks, B blocks. Man, that sounds horrible. What are you going to do A+B attacks with, diagonal waggle? No, this won't do at all, and you should be ashamed of yourself, me.

Nickle on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think mekman means repackage the games like Nintendo is doing: on a Wii disc, with Wii controls.

I'm tired and can't read the stuff quoted by the people I quote.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nintendo seems to have gotten away with it a bit in Twilight princess, and Capcom removed some of the camera functionality (when you use the d-pad on the Wii mote to control the camera) in Resident Evil 4 Wii-edition, and yet it is the best version of the game. Besides a lot of games have the option of just allowing someone to use a classic controller which is a lot better than a GC controller. Nevertheless first party GC controllers are still available; I've seen the silver wired ones on sale at Circuit City. And I would imagine Nintendo truly does expect people to buy into accessories; they even sell the Wii-Wheel separately.

EDIT*

...Oh man in terms of saving games, I love digging around in gamefaqs for game saves, for games I plan on getting. This saved me 20 (plus) hours of treasure hunting in RE4. For obvious reasons I will never look back to the memory card. I lost my Diamond cup F-Zero GX data. I cried and traded it...
    No... no... just never again... bring those games to the Wii please. Eternal Darkness for Wii, Rebel Assault and etc...

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Nintendo seems to have gotten away with it a bit in Twilight princess, and Capcom removed some of the camera functionality (when you use the d-pad on the Wii mote to control the camera) in Resident Evil 4 Wii-edition, and yet it is the best version of the game. Besides a lot of games have the option of just allowing someone to use a classic controller which is a lot better than a GC controller. Nevertheless first party GC controllers are still available; I've seen the silver wired ones on sale at Circuit City. And I would imagine Nintendo truly does expect people to buy into accessories; they even sell the Wii-Wheel separately.

Well, if it means getting wii controls that's fine. I just thought it was saying "throw it in a wii box and sell it as is".

Though, things like the wii-wheel isn't the same as buying a gc controller. One is totally required and the others is totally optional.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Heck, even if they weren't getting new controls, I wouldn't complain because it could possibly mean that they'd start putting GC controllers back on the shelves. I need some for Brawl.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Well, if it means getting wii controls that's fine. I just thought it was saying "throw it in a wii box and sell it as is".

Though, things like the wii-wheel isn't the same as buying a gc controller. One is totally required and the others is totally optional.

Oh goodness no, I mean "made to play on Wii," of course to the degree that it can be done.

Most Wii games provide the option of using a another controller. I personally prefer the classic controller and I have "banished" my GC controllers to the land of "wind and ghosts."

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Would DK Jungle Beat be compatible with the bongos? I found the game at a retail store, but they're asking for too much money. It's been there for a while and they should wonder why the game isn't selling.

RockinX on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When Nintendo says "future titles will be playable on an SD card" I think Nintendo just means that. Future titles, and not anything we have right now... meaning all the VC and WiiWare games we download until sometime in 2009 will not ever be playable off an SD card.

I really don't see Nintendo going through and patching a hojillion VC and WiiWare games so they will boot from SD.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    When Nintendo says "future titles will be playable on an SD card" I think Nintendo just means that. Future titles, and not anything we have right now... meaning all the VC and WiiWare games we download until sometime in 2009 will not ever be playable off an SD card.

I really don't see Nintendo going through and patching a hojillion VC and WiiWare games so they will boot from SD.

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but wouldn't they just need to patch the emulators?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    Would DK Jungle Beat be compatible with the bongos? I found the game at a retail store, but they're asking for too much money. It's been there for a while and they should wonder why the game isn't selling.

Hmm there's no way I'm buying it if it isn't compatible with the bongos.
    I've still got one lying around, I remember playing Donkey Konga 1 like crazy.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ampix wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »

Hmm there's no way I'm buying it if it isn't compatible with the bongos.
    I've still got one lying around, I remember playing Donkey Konga 1 like crazy.

Same here.

Except I didn't play Donkey Konga 1 like crazy. The fad didn't last long.

RockinX on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As cool as Jungle Beat is, I'm worried using it without bongos might take away its charm.

I mean, game journalists who played the early version of Barrel Blast with bongos said it was fun, but when it came out for the Wii with waggle, they hated it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293