As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That 3D Picross thing they announced looks super awesome.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    The same way most console games don't lose much if rumble is off. It's just nice to have.

Unless it's Starfox. Then it's a necessity.

Legba on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was excited but I'm sad there is no GBA slot. I still own the original DS model and newer games are so dark it is starting to hurt my eyeballs.
    I was thinking of picking up a new one but since there is no GBA slot I may wait until this one dies. It looks pretty sweet, though.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have a DS Lite, and that was my second DS. I have no desire to own a DSi so far, but the second they announce a portable Virtual Console, I'm all over it. I was just hoping that feature would come in the next Nintendo handheld, not a revision of the current one.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll more than likely buy a DSi, because I'm a sucker, and I like the idea of the virtual console, built in web browser and SD support.

The only real question facing me is: Will I bother trading in my DS Lite? I'm not sure. I might give it to a younger sibling or something, or I might even (gasp) keep it.

The thing is, if the DSi has a built in web-browser, it must have a nicely upgraded amount of RAM, and with the SD card support, it's going to turn into the homebrew console of choice. From the sound of it, the DSi is one step (or no steps) away from running homebrew natively, without any hardware. If it's not just a matter of slapping it on there and playing straight away, then it'll only be a matter of time before someone hacks together a program that you can run from the SD card to let you play homebrew directly from the SD card. And that will be sweet.

Legba on
  • Options
    MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Soooooo... the GC-to-Wii games are straight re-releases? No aiming in Metroid?

(I just noticed this thread)

Monsty on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Monsty wrote: »

They have been given Wii controls as has been shown by videos of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Pikmin.

Peewi on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Peewi wrote: »

They have been given Wii controls as has been shown by videos of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Pikmin.

Yep, the videos pretty much confirm that Nintendo will be introducing wii motion and/or pointer controls where appropriate.

slash000 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Yep, the videos pretty much confirm that Nintendo will be introducing wii motion and/or pointer controls where appropriate.

To err on the side of caution I am not going to assume we are getting Prime 3 controls in 1 and 2. It seems likely, but there are dumb ways to implement motion controls too. It's very possible that they might go halfway on it so as not to mess so much with game balance, or claim they no longer have access to some of the source code, etc.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As much as I love MvC 1 and 2, is it really worth Capcom's trouble to release Tatsunoko vs. Capcom here? I mean, the Tatsunoko characters, with the exception of Evangelion aren't very well-known.

They just need to release Namco x Capcom over here and be done with it.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    There's actually no reason to believe that they'll release Capcom v Tatsunoko over here. In fact, there's never been any indication that it would. Unfortunately for us, because it looks great. But I imagine that not a whole lot of people over here give much of a damn about Tatsunoko.

slash000 on
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's actually no reason to believe that they'll release Capcom v Tatsunoko over here. In fact, there's never been any indication that it would. Unfortunately for us, because it looks great. But I imagine that not a whole lot of people over here give much of a damn about Tatsunoko.

My mistake. I was looking at the Japanese release list. Fingers crossed for it to morph into MvC3? :winky:

cytorak on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Is it possible to make a Wii region-free though?

Also, I guess speed-racer is kinda popular.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That 2D side scrolling beat-em-up looking game to which I don't know the title looks fucking gorgeous.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm guessing that in the Metriod Prime games the analog stick will control the aiming, as per the GC originals. I just don't see Nintendo putting that much effort into these titles.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I agree. I more doubt that Metroid will get Prime 3 controls. But at least the possibility is there. But I'm not holding my breath.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    If I don't get Prime 3 controls I'm not buying it. Simple as that.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dareth Ram wrote: »
    If I don't get Prime 3 controls I'm not buying it. Simple as that.

Same here.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didn't they give prime 2 motion controls for the original E3 conference?

Shabooty on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm guessing that in the Metriod Prime games the analog stick will control the aiming, as per the GC originals. I just don't see Nintendo putting that much effort into these titles.

That...doesn't even make sense. If they made the analog stick aim how would you move? The Dpad on the remote? I don't think Nintendo is that stupid.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Perhaps this has been posted but I just saw at IGN that the Gamecube re-releases will be 3,800 yen, which is roughly $35. A tad pricier than I was hoping.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh come on. The only reason for them to put these games on the Wii is to implement MP3 controls. I'd bet my cock on Wii Remote aiming. Why would they take a step back from Prime 3?

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    edited October 2008
    If it's a dollar more than $20 over here I'm not going to bother. The only reason Resi4 got away with $30 was because it had significant wii control upgrades, it had remixed gameplay, it had added content, and it supported widescreen and proscan.

My bet is that this line of Cube games will be $30 over here, which sucks.

I won't pay a buck over 20 without very significant wii remote control enhancements, and even then, I'd s till be wary.

slash000 on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so today is day 2 of the summit

apparently there's another conference presentation?

what do you guys think they're gonna show? anything new?

Guek on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, I appreciate the work but anything over $20 is too much just for better controls.

Then again, I'm annoyed because I just shelled out $40 for Pikmin 2 on the Cube.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    apparently there's another conference presentation?

Yup. According to RawMeatCowboy @ GoNintendo, this one is about WiiWare.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd also bet Dodge Aspen's cock that they'll implement the MP3 controls in the first two.

It'd be nice if they packaged them both together, but I doubt it.

As for Pikmin, though, I missed out on those (played a little bit of each) so I'll probably be picking them up.

From the videos, it looks like they changed the aiming of pikmin from just going the direction you're facing to actual pointer controls (though I think it changes your orientation as you move it around? Maybe movement will be controlled like a PC game with the pointer being a mouse?). I can't imagine that'd be much harder than going into MP1 & 2, taking out the free-look button, and mapping the aim to the pointer. Of course, it's a bit more complicated than that, but all they need to change is the aiming system. Everything else is virtually the same. I don't think it would "break the game", since MP3's controls are so very similar to the other 2, just you don't have to hold down a button to aim.

I mean, they remapped DKs controls from CONGOS to the Wiimote, which I would imagine is more of a leap than what it would take to convert the Primes' controls.

Just sayin'.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spring 2009?

Hasn't Nintendo made us wait long enough for better Wii storage?

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If it's a dollar more than $20 over here I'm not going to bother. The only reason Resi4 got away with $30 was because it had significant wii control upgrades, it had remixed gameplay, it had added content, and it supported widescreen and proscan.

I won't pay a buck over 20 without very significant wii remote control enhancements, and even then, I'd s till be wary.

Thing is, you bought it first time around. It would be nice for them if you picked it up again but they're not going to make their pricing based on what you will pay. It'll be based on what the people who didn't even own a cube will pay.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    The thing is, if the DSi has a built in web-browser, it must have a nicely upgraded amount of RAM, and with the SD card support, it's going to turn into the homebrew console of choice. From the sound of it, the DSi is one step (or no steps) away from running homebrew natively, without any hardware. If it's not just a matter of slapping it on there and playing straight away, then it'll only be a matter of time before someone hacks together a program that you can run from the SD card to let you play homebrew directly from the SD card. And that will be sweet.

The DS is already about as easy as you can get for homebrew. It'll cost you less than $20 to buy a DSTT homebrew cart and a 2gb MicroSD card, complete with USB and regular SD adapters for the MicroSD card. Another $20 gets you a GBA flashcart/rumble pack/memory expander that can be accessed from within the DSTT interface.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That...doesn't even make sense. If they made the analog stick aim how would you move? The Dpad on the remote? I don't think Nintendo is that stupid.

Didn't you play the original? It wasn't dual analog. The stick made you move and turn, not strafe, and you had to hold a shoulder button to make the stick look around. From there you could hold the other shoulder button to lock your view and strafe.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Thing is, you bought it first time around. It would be nice for them if you picked it up again but they're not going to make their pricing based on what you will pay. It'll be based on what the people who didn't even own a cube will pay.

I agree completely. There are tons of people now with Wiis that never had GameCubes. Tons.

They will certainly price this line of games with that in mind.

But for anyone who has already played these games, it's a tough sell. Just saying.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I agree completely. There are tons of people now with Wiis that never had GameCubes. Tons.

But for anyone who has already played these games, it's a tough sell. Just saying.

Especially if you already own the games, which play perfectly fine on Wii the way it is.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Especially if you already own the games, which play perfectly fine on Wii the way it is.

Any chance I'll be able to pick them up used for much cheaper? (Zero experience with pricing trends of used games; I hear people complain about things alot.) Soccer mom who accidentally bought Metroid Prime 2 for Little Jimmy, sold it to Gamespot pronto because it was too hard? (Picks up a game with baby animals and Z's on the cover instead, family unit happy once again.)

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    “It’s not the Pikmin that Mr. Miyamoto referred to, no,” said Nintendo of America sales VP Cammie Dunaway. “Mr. Miyamoto referred to a new Pikmin, as opposed to the classics that are being rereleased on Wii.”

Guek on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Basically it was the PS2 version with Wii controls. More people owned PS2's than gamecubes so if Capcom can get away with it, I don't see why Nintendo can't.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Rakai wrote: »

Basically it was the PS2 version with Wii controls. More people owned PS2's than gamecubes so if Capcom can get away with it, I don't see why Nintendo can't.

And vastly superior graphics.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Didn't you play the original? It wasn't dual analog. The stick made you move and turn, not strafe, and you had to hold a shoulder button to make the stick look around. From there you could hold the other shoulder button to lock your view and strafe.

Yeah, I did you're right. I've been playing to many 360 fps's and had my control schemes mixed up in my head.

Honestly though I really don't see them not[/i] changing the controls to use the wii controls similar to MP3. It would totally defeat the purpose of what they're aiming for with the rereleases.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

Uh, the Wii verson of RE4 did indeed have superior graphics compared to the PS2 version.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."