Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh hey, club nintendo service coming to NA. I thought it sounded pretty cool, any input from those who've had the service? (EU has it, right?) It would be nice if some of that stuff applied retroactively, as I've already registered a ton of games with Nintendo.

This little conference is officially better than all of the E3 conferences combined. It's like they just collected all of the complaints people were sending in, and just sat on them forever. Until one day, BAM, stop your bitching.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    YES! Metroid PRIME 1 and 2 for Wii, and Tenchu 4 is pretty freaking sweet as well.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, too much stuff going on, but apparently Wii remakes of GC games? Pikmin and DK: Jungle Beat and according to the poster above me, MP1 and 2. Any others?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, too much stuff going on, but apparently Wii remakes of GC games? Pikmin and DK: Jungle Beat and according to the poster above me, MP1 and 2. Any others?

List from Famitsu:

Chibi Robo
    Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
    Pikmin
    Pikmin 2
    Mario Tennis GC
    Metroid Prime
    Metroid Prime 2: Dark Echoes

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Are the Metroid games just rereleases as like "Wii Classics" games, or are they remade with Wii controls? I'll totally buy them if they have Wii controls.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It would be a shame.. no, a travesty if the first Mario Tennis game they release on the Wii doesn't support Wii Sports Tennis-like controls.

Dammit. I'm betting it'll just be a re-release of sorts without any real Wii motion capabilities.

They really need to do a Wii Sports tennis-like Mario Tennis game. Sega Superstars was not sufficient.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This was posted in another thread as evidence that Wii controls are happening in the ports:

donkeycd7.jpg

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Punch-Out!!?

PUNCH-OUT!!?

GLASS JOE EXPLODING INTO CROISSANTS AS HE GETS KNOCKED OUT?!

yesssssssssssss

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh man, Metroid Prime 1 and 2 with Corruption controls? Day one.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

I'm holding off to see how much they cost, but yeah.

Also, I hope you can use the pointer in Pikmin to control the cursor independently of Olimar.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

If that happens. I've seen the DK screenshot, but I'm still not convinced that these are anything more than re-releases....

slash000 on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MAKE A NEW PIKMIN PLEASEEEEEEEEEE NINTENDO

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey, do we have any idea what the DSi has under the hood? When the GBC came out, it had a color screen, sure, but also, the CPU in it was twice as fast. Is the DSi still running with the same ARM9@67Mhz/ARM7@33MHz combo, or will it get a (backwards-compatable) bump?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The DSi is just a revision of the nintendo DS. Not a "new handheld" for a new generation of portables.

slash000 on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So does this Wii version of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 mean i get Metroid Prime 3 controls on those two games.
    Because if so, I'm gonna have to find a nintendo representative.
    And hug them.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    turtleant wrote: »
    So does this Wii version of Metroid Prime 1 and 2 mean i get Metroid Prime 3 controls on those two games.
    And hug them.

No confirmation one way or the other as of yet.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    The DSi is just a revision of the nintendo DS. Not a "new handheld" for a new generation of portables.

The announcement mentioned DSi-exclusive software, so I'm seeing something extremely similar to the GB->GBC thing going on here.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

The announcement mentioned DSi-exclusive software, so I'm seeing something extremely similar to the GB->GBC thing going on here.

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Edit: Excluding downloadable titles, of course.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

If that happens. I've seen the DK screenshot, but I'm still not convinced that these are anything more than re-releases....

Check out the videos here:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2008fall/presen/09.html

(for DKJB and Pikmin, at least)

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And hug them.

Then I shall continue to cross my fingers.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Compatible software
    DSi: DS software, DSi software
    DS Lite: Game Boy Advance software, DS software

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Compatible software

DSi software meaning downloadable titles.

No where in NoJ or NoA's conferences that I saw did they mention actual DS titles on store shelves being separate for the two systems.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Guibs wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm happy or desapointed with the DSi.

- Camera? Gimmik I don't need.
    - Plays music? Who doesn't have an ipod like mp3 player?
    - No GBA slot? So no backward compatibility (without paying more for games you already own) and a kick in the nuts of Guitar Hero players.
    - Shorter battery life.

Actually, this might be a good news. I believe my current DS lite is supperior on more ways than this thing they call a DSi. So I won't need to upgrade.

What about the larger screens and the DS "virtual console"?

Personally I probably won't upgrade because I only expect to use an NDS to play NDS games.

Larger screen remains to be seen. Will it be larger and offer a bigger resolution or will it just "strech" the games on screen ?

As for the DS Virtual Console. This is just another way Nintendo found to try to sell you your kids's nostalgia at Today's market prices. They remove the GBA slots, just wait to see them starting to "re-sale" those GBA games on their Virtual Console again at you even though you already own them.

Unless Nintendo comes up with a way to transfer your current GBA games and saved from the GBA cart to the new SD cards with the saved games then this is a no Go for me.

Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Compatible software

No where in NoJ or NoA's conferences that I saw did they mention actual DS titles on store shelves being separate for the two systems.

Don't assume that for one second. Are you sure they're not going to release any games that take unique advantage of the cameras? In such a way that it's required? What about games without internal storage so they can be cheaper, taking advantage of the onboard storage as a memory card?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    YYYeeeeesssss, Pikmin 1 and 2 rereleased for the Wii. That makes my fucking day.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Increased screen size, built-in browser, online store = yay

Battery life reduction is annoying.
    AAC format is really irritating.
    No EBA2 = booooooo
    Delaying the launch just so they can sell more of the old system = booooooooooooo

You'd think if they replaced the GBA slot with an SD slot they could have made it a bit smaller. Is the camera to blame here?

Also does anyone know if you can copy full DS games on your SD card to play whenever?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Um.

A Cave Story remake for Wiiware announced.

...aahsahdbsHOLYCRAP.

GimeC on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Camera on the hinge facing the player, 640x480 resolution. Camera on the outside of the system, 3 megapixels.

Presumably the hinge inside camera is so that there can be DSi software that allows the player to view and operate screens while taking images of themselves, or maybe sending photos of themselves or some shit. Kind of like a webcam.

I keep expecting Nintendo to announce that the DSi has full 3G functionality.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Compatible software

Don't assume that for one second. Are you sure they're not going to release any games that take unique advantage of the cameras? In such a way that it's required? What about games without internal storage so they can be cheaper, taking advantage of the onboard storage as a memory card?

I can't really think of any of the new features facilitating a big enough difference in hardware for Nintendo to make an entirely separate line of DSi software. There's no second touch screen, for example, and that was the only thing in my mind that would drive there to be different games for each system.

Nintendo would be stupid, primarily, to make a game that only a fraction of DS owners could buy anyway.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sin and Punishment 2 is all I needed to hear out of this conference.

I maintain that it is still the best $12 I have ever spent on a video game, and it is literally made for the Wii.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    Camera on the hinge facing the player, 640x480 resolution. Camera on the outside of the system, 3 megapixels.

Presumably the hinge inside camera is so that there can be DSi software that allows the player to view and operate screens while taking images of themselves, or maybe sending photos of themselves or some shit. Kind of like a webcam.

I keep expecting Nintendo to announce that the DSi has full 3G functionality.

I'll reiterate my request from page one:
    GIVE ME WPA ENCRYPTION, ASSHOLES.

Though it seems they took "fuck MP3s" literally as they expect us to use AAC. Yeah, let me just reencode my entire collection. :|

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Compatible software

DSi software, to me, simply implies software that uses the camera. It doesn't mean that the rest of the DS unit will be significantly upgraded. Nor does it mean, to me, that non-camera using software will be anything more than just regular DS software.

Which is to say that I see the camera as more of a built-on peripheral than anything else. Some software will use it, but most actual games will not. The ones that do not will simply be regular NDS games.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I fully expect Nintendo to make one or two token camera-enabled games (sort of a portable EyeToy thing), third parties to make a flood of suck-ass camera-enabled games, and for a lot of upcoming first-party games to have optional camera minigames/options. Like taking a picture of your face/cock and using that as your avatar in the I'm-still-hoping DS Smash Bros.

Also, put your DSi on top of your TV, get a compatible Wii game, and what happens?

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GimeC wrote: »
    Um.

...aahsahdbsHOLYCRAP.

WHAT.

You give me a link this instant or you're a goddamned liar and you're going to hell

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arcibi wrote: »
    GimeC wrote: »
    Um.

...aahsahdbsHOLYCRAP.

WHAT.

You give me a link this instant or you're a goddamned liar and you're going to hell

http://gonintendo.com/?p=58030#more-58030

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Whoa whoa whoa, where?

Compatible software

I can't really think of any of the new features facilitating a big enough difference in hardware for Nintendo to make an entirely separate line of DSi software. There's no second touch screen, for example, and that was the only thing in my mind that would drive there to be different games for each system.

Nintendo would be stupid, primarily, to make a game that only a fraction of DS owners could buy anyway.

They wouldn't be stupid, they'd be doing it the way things are done in the industry. People make games for systems that other people don't have sometimes. It's how it works. Sometimes the next iteration of a system (or whatever you want to call it, no semantics) can play games the old one can't.

I'll say it again, you can't do this on the original DS, and I'd love to see this on the DSi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfp8id6bpDU

You said DSi software = the downloadable stuff, and I disagree, there's totally room for retail games that are made just for the DSi. Maybe not a huge lineup, but it's going to happen, and there will be stickers in the corner to help the dumb parents.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I fully expect Nintendo to make one or two token camera-enabled games (sort of a portable EyeToy thing), third parties to make a flood of suck-ass camera-enabled games, and for a lot of upcoming first-party games to have optional camera minigames/options. Like taking a picture of your face/cock and using that as your avatar in the I'm-still-hoping DS Smash Bros.

Exactly. It's going to be one more gimmick on the checklist for the new Legend of Zelda: Peanut Butter Monkey - and if you don't have it, you might not be able to get the special Peanut-Almond Brittle unlockable item.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I just don't see why people are taking the inclusion of a camera, which is essentially adding on a peripheral, as implying that this is going to be a new, more powerful system, the next in the generational cycle of handheld consoles.

"DSi Software" simply means software that uses the Camera, or the save function for files using the microphone.

slash000 on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And hug them.

Then I shall continue to cross my fingers.

I don't see why they'd make Wii versions of the games and not add Wii controls to them.

Otherwise they'd call it something like the "Gamecube Legacy Collection" and just rerelease the GC discs on the cheap.

Also, it can't be a coincidence that most of the games mentioned would most likely benefit greatly from added Wii functionality, specifically the pointer, which would probably not be extremely hard to integrate.

Of course I'm just talking out of my ass, but I would lean more towards the "Wii enhanced port" than rereleases of GC games on Wii discs for no apparent reason.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And thus the semantics discussion continues.

Really, I think the DSi will have the same horsepower as the DS, but it's starting to sound like the game download service will be DSi only.

Found this on Wired's blog of the event:
    9:24: Cammie Dunaway takes the stage. "If I've learned anything in the past 11 months, it's that pleasing you guys takes showing you great games," she says while looking directly at me and Matt Cassamassina.

Heh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293