As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Heck, even if they weren't getting new controls, I wouldn't complain because it could possibly mean that they'd start putting GC controllers back on the shelves. I need some for Brawl.

I still see new ones for 20$ that come back into stores all the time..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Heck, even if they weren't getting new controls, I wouldn't complain because it could possibly mean that they'd start putting GC controllers back on the shelves. I need some for Brawl.

Man I don't know where you're shopping 'cause I haven't seen new ones other than shitty 3rd party ones for about two years.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    RockinX wrote: »
    Ampix wrote: »
    RockinX wrote: »
    Would DK Jungle Beat be compatible with the bongos? I found the game at a retail store, but they're asking for too much money. It's been there for a while and they should wonder why the game isn't selling.

Hmm there's no way I'm buying it if it isn't compatible with the bongos.
    I've still got one lying around, I remember playing Donkey Konga 1 like crazy.

Same here.

Except I didn't play Donkey Konga 1 like crazy. The fad didn't last long.

My friend even got Donkey Konga 2, he's got two sets of Bongo's lying around.

I can't help but laugh everytime I see them in the corner of a room, all dusty and forgotten.
    :cry:

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nickle wrote: »
    Peewi wrote: »
    mekman 2 wrote: »
    From the way the press conference went, it looks as though Nintendo is encouraging developers to (literally) repackage their GC games for Wii for a wider audience, and I whole heartidly support this. Soul Calibur 2 with online and less (a lot less) Ivy nudity would be a great thing. Also from Nintendo I'm looking forward to some Mario Sunshine with Wii Specific controls.

The problem with this is you still need a GC controller to play GC games. I don't see how they could just flat out repackage games with a Wii label without a lot of people pissed that "oh btw, you need to buy a controller, the only good one of which we discontinued, have fun".

And a GC memory card if you want to save. I think it'd be very hard to find an official one of those.

I think mekman means repackage the games like Nintendo is doing: on a Wii disc, with Wii controls.

All playing SC with waggle. Swing up or down for vertical attack, left or right for horizontal, A kicks, B blocks. Man, that sounds horrible. What are you going to do A+B attacks with, diagonal waggle? No, this won't do at all, and you should be ashamed of yourself, me.

SC is only a 4 button game - vert, horizontal, block and kick.

it wouldn't be that hard to do

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was addicted to Donkey Konga until I discovered Guitar Hero, which I oddly missed out on for a pretty long time. Like, the first one managed to completely fly under my radar.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Man I don't know where you're shopping 'cause I haven't seen new ones other than shitty 3rd party ones for about two years.

I see normal GC controllers a lot; but never wavebirds. And as far as I'm concerned Wavebirds are the only GC controllers worth spending any money on.

Besides the fact I'd have to have a cable extension to reach my couch, I have a cat that enjoys chewing cords; I don't have wires for anything unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also wire clutter is the worst clutter.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From the way the press conference went, it looks as though Nintendo is encouraging developers to (literally) repackage their GC games for Wii for a wider audience, and I whole heartidly support this. Soul Calibur 2 with online and less (a lot less) Ivy nudity would be a great thing. Also from Nintendo I'm looking forward to some Mario Sunshine with Wii Specific controls.

The problem with this is you still need a GC controller to play GC games. I don't see how they could just flat out repackage games with a Wii label without a lot of people pissed that "oh btw, you need to buy a controller, the only good one of which we discontinued, have fun".

And a GC memory card if you want to save. I think it'd be very hard to find an official one of those.

I think mekman means repackage the games like Nintendo is doing: on a Wii disc, with Wii controls.

All playing SC with waggle. Swing up or down for vertical attack, left or right for horizontal, A kicks, B blocks. Man, that sounds horrible. What are you going to do A+B attacks with, diagonal waggle? No, this won't do at all, and you should be ashamed of yourself, me.

The best part is, you could play it with bongos

The different areas of the bongos (upper, lower) actually represent buttons. So the bongos are basically ABXY.

I've never had as much fun with Soul Calibur 2 than when I played the computer with bongos, and won.

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i still see new Wavebirds (the ugly platinum ones) although i do think the Wavebird has actually been discontinued.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you're talking B&M, they seem to be next to impossible to find anywhere.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    List of Nintendo DS Games using the Rumble Pak (source: Wikipedia):

* Actionloop (Europe)
    * Air Traffic CHAOS
    * Clubhouse Games
    * Custom Robo Arena
    * Diddy Kong Racing DS
    * Elite Beat Agents
    * Ferrari Challenge
    * Grid
    * Hotel Dusk: Room 215
    * Iron Man (video game)
    * Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    * Magnetica
    * Mahjong Fight Club DS - Wi-Fi Taiou
    * Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
    * Metroid Prime Hunters
    * Metroid Prime Pinball
    * Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
    * Orcs and Elves
    * Picross DS
    * Power Pro Kun Pocket 9
    * Power Pro-kun Pocket 10
    * Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary
    * Race Driver: Create and Race
    * Sega Superstars Tennis
    * Space Invaders Extreme
    * Star Fox Command
    * Star Trek: Tactical Assault
    * Super Princess Peach
    * The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
    * Tomb Raider: Underworld (can this be confirmed?)
    * Wario: Master of Disguise
    * WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Other Affected Games:
    Guitar Hero DS
    Band Brothers (No expansion)
    Picross DS (No expansion)
    Arkanoid DS

GBA Link Games:
    Feel the Magic XX/XY
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
    Polarium
    Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Let me know if I missed anything.

edit: Added GBA link games.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's a fighting game, who would buy Guilty Gear Accent Core or Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Naruto, ect. with the notion of using the wii mote to play? Even Brawl give players endless play control options. Buying a new controller doesn't seem convenient but the option is out there. The Wii was not made for these games, but here they are, and enough of them too to warrant the release of some better ones, also including the upcoming Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Not even Capcom has been deterred from releasing a full blown 2D fighter on the Wii.

Get those classic controllers.

mekman 2 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Cymoro wrote: »

Polarium (DS) and Polarium Advance (GBA) link together.

Although Polarium Advance was only released in Japan and Europe.

LewieP on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    * Actionloop (Europe)
    * Air Traffic CHAOS
    * Clubhouse Games
    * Custom Robo Arena
    * Diddy Kong Racing DS
    * Elite Beat Agents
    * Ferrari Challenge
    * Grid
    * Iron Man (video game)
    * Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
    * Magnetica
    * Mahjong Fight Club DS - Wi-Fi Taiou
    * Metroid Prime Hunters
    * Metroid Prime Pinball
    * Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2
    * Orcs and Elves
    * Picross DS
    * Power Pro Kun Pocket 9
    * Power Pro-kun Pocket 10
    * Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary
    * Race Driver: Create and Race
    * Sega Superstars Tennis
    * Space Invaders Extreme
    * Star Fox Command
    * Star Trek: Tactical Assault
    * Super Princess Peach
    * The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning
    * Tomb Raider: Underworld (can this be confirmed?)
    * Wario: Master of Disguise
    * WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008

Other Affected Games:
    Guitar Hero DS
    Band Brothers (No expansion)
    Picross DS (No expansion)
    Arkanoid DS

Let me know if I missed anyhting.

Pokémon D/P uses the GBA port for importing from the older games. Pokémon Dash has a feature that let's you turn your party in the GBA games into racetracks.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Assuming waggle is involved, yes it would be. SC may involve only four buttons, but there are countless variations on how they interact. For example, charge moves: If horizontal attacks are mapped to a vertical waggle, how would you hold that button down? But keeping your arm pointed upwards or downwards? And, as Nickle pointed out, how would A+B work? The obvious answer is a diagonal waggle, but such a system would be painfully inaccurate. Equally tricky would be inputs like B+K or A+K. If kick is mapped to a button and A/B are movements, how do you reliably time the K to coincide with your waggle? Because unless you're perfectly on time, the game will interpret your A+K as A,K or K,A. Lastly, have you considered slide inputs? agA would be... So unpleasant I don't even want to think about it.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I am certain that it would turn out so badly that no one would ever, ever want to play it. DDR pads would honestly be a better control system.

There may be a fighting game system out there that works well with the Wii's motion abilities, but I don't think it's to be found in any existing series.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rex Dart wrote: »

Assuming waggle is involved, yes it would be. SC may involve only four buttons, but there are countless variations on how they interact. For example, charge moves: If horizontal attacks are mapped to a vertical waggle, how would you hold that button down? But keeping your arm pointed upwards or downwards? And, as Nickle pointed out, how would A+B work? The obvious answer is a diagonal waggle, but such a system would be painfully inaccurate. Equally tricky would be inputs like B+K or A+K. If kick is mapped to a button and A/B are movements, how do you reliably time the K to coincide with your waggle? Because unless you're perfectly on time, the game will interpret your A+K as A,K or K,A. Lastly, have you considered slide inputs? agA would be... So unpleasant I don't even want to think about it.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but I am certain that it would turn out so badly that no one would ever, ever want to play it. DDR pads would honestly be a better control system.

There may be a fighting game system out there that works well with the Wii's motion abilities, but I don't think it's to be found in any existing series.

Soulcalibur buttons: A, B, K, G

Wii Remote buttons w/ Nunchuk: A, B, C, Z.

It is not that difficult.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn you, Nintendo!

I'll buy that new DS when there's flash cards for homebrew, hacked access via the SD slot for homebrew, or any augmented reality game at all.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    oh noez guys fighting games only work on shitty genesis and snes controllers because surely it'll never work on another one oh wait look SC2 still has the best controls on GameCube shucks

i wasn't even putting waggle into the equation, there's more than enough fucking buttons on the wiimote alone

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    When Nintendo says "future titles will be playable on an SD card" I think Nintendo just means that. Future titles, and not anything we have right now... meaning all the VC and WiiWare games we download until sometime in 2009 will not ever be playable off an SD card.

I really don't see Nintendo going through and patching a hojillion VC and WiiWare games so they will boot from SD.

I don't know much about this sort of thing, but wouldn't they just need to patch the emulators?

Basically. It would be quite a simple patch, and with unlimited redownloading of VC/Wiiware, you'd just have to do that and be set.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I have heard that Cave Story is coming to WiiWare.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13046083&postcount=370
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/nintendos-holiday-2008-wii-speak/story.aspx?guid={B8E39DB3-A829-45B9-AF1E-1EC945582A1C}&dist=hppr
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337332
    â?¢ Cave Story: This title is an
    action-adventure game with new, exclusive content and features
    created only for the WiiWare version.

Couscous on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    if capcom vs. tatsunoko comes here, that might be worth getting to play for fun. Otherwise, the vs. games are horribly balanced.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    So I have heard that Cave Story is coming to WiiWare.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13046083&postcount=370
    http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/nintendos-holiday-2008-wii-speak/story.aspx?guid={B8E39DB3-A829-45B9-AF1E-1EC945582A1C}&dist=hppr
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337332
    â?¢ Cave Story: This title is an
    action-adventure game with new, exclusive content and features
    created only for the WiiWare version.

ohhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is pretty cool actually, specifically the built-in browser, SD card, bigger screens and better quality speakers, although the lower battery life kind of kills me. Also, 0.3 megapixels? Eh.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Chen wrote: »
    This is pretty cool actually, specifically the built-in browser, SD card, bigger screens and better quality speakers, although the lower battery life kind of kills me. Also, 0.3 megapixels? Eh.

The other camera has 3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblog-ninten.html
    Has this been posted?
    9:55: Last live demo of the day. Fire Emblem DS. 1st half 2009. It's called "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon." Ha ha, get it? It's "DS" backwards.

9:58: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is the story of Marth, a character that U.S. fans know well for his appearances in the Smash Bros. series. Showing a battle -- bottom screen always shows the zoomed-out map, all of the information and close-ups are on the top screen.

10:01: Game includes "prologue chapters" that were never in the original NES game on which this is based.

10:03: This version of Fire Emblem features Wi-Fi battles with full voice chat. Like playing chess in the park, he says, you can give commentary on each other's moves.

10:05: You can loan and borrow units from your friends. They can take a unit, level it up for you, and give it back to you. Interesting. There's also an online shop where you can buy rare and powerful items, that rotate in and out of the shop on a daily basis -- so you'll have to check often. Not real money, but gold that you earn in single player. (Phew.)
    10:11: CLUB NINTENDO IS COMING TO NORTH AMERICA.

10:12: Club Nintendo gets the biggest applause of the day. North American Nintendo fans have been "lusting after" Club Nintendo giveaways for a long time, she says. Yes. Will debut in America by the end of the year. Nice.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh noez guys fighting games only work on shitty genesis and snes controllers because surely it'll never work on another one oh wait look SC2 still has the best controls on GameCube shucks

i wasn't even putting waggle into the equation, there's more than enough fucking buttons on the wiimote alone
    I apologize if my tone came off as argumentative, but keep in mind my response began "assuming waggle is involved." I only assumed waggle was involved because the discussion revolved around porting SC2 to the Wii, and what would be the point in such a port if it was only going to use buttons? My only point was that SC is best suited to a button-based control scheme, and that, as such, a Wii port would be unnecessary at best and detrimental at worst.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    Mr PeepersMr Peepers Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I hope there will be an attachment for the GBA slot. Cutting such a large feature from Pokemon just feels odd.

I'll probably pick this up and have my DS Phat as my stand-by. I was gonna get a Lite for Christmas, but I think I'll just wait.

Mr Peepers on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liveblog-ninten.html
    Has this been posted?
    9:55: Last live demo of the day. Fire Emblem DS. 1st half 2009. It's called "Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon." Ha ha, get it? It's "DS" backwards.

9:58: Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is the story of Marth, a character that U.S. fans know well for his appearances in the Smash Bros. series. Showing a battle -- bottom screen always shows the zoomed-out map, all of the information and close-ups are on the top screen.

10:01: Game includes "prologue chapters" that were never in the original NES game on which this is based.

10:03: This version of Fire Emblem features Wi-Fi battles with full voice chat. Like playing chess in the park, he says, you can give commentary on each other's moves.

10:05: You can loan and borrow units from your friends. They can take a unit, level it up for you, and give it back to you. Interesting. There's also an online shop where you can buy rare and powerful items, that rotate in and out of the shop on a daily basis -- so you'll have to check often. Not real money, but gold that you earn in single player. (Phew.)

10:12: Club Nintendo gets the biggest applause of the day. North American Nintendo fans have been "lusting after" Club Nintendo giveaways for a long time, she says. Yes. Will debut in America by the end of the year. Nice.
    botp

Finally, Fire Emblem gets a release date. The wifi battles are pretty shitty though, so I wouldn't be too excited about that.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Every SRPG ever with any sort of multiplayer has been poor.

From the Link Arena in the GBA games to the stuff in the various Tactics games. It just isn't a genre where balancing for multiplayer works.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So the new Sonic game looks to be a sequel to Secret Rings, right? (Gameplay-wise?)

If so, it's easily one of my most anticipated Wii titles.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    From what I've been reading its a high speed hack and slash where you can apparently cut up civilians as well as enemies.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm just glad sandlot is making another fighting huge things game. The fact that gigantic robots have been replaced with gigantic golems and monsters is kinda neat, to be honest.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Polarium (DS) and Polarium Advance (GBA) link together.

Although Polarium Advance was only released in Japan and Europe.

Salmon'd for lies. I'm in Canada and bought Polarium Advance.

What does the link do for each of those games? Ditto for Feel the Magic: XX/XY

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mr Peepers wrote: »
    I hope there will be an attachment for the GBA slot. Cutting such a large feature from Pokemon just feels odd.

don't count on it; GBA games rely on being able to read game data as quickly as RAM (it's even adressed the same way) and DS games (and SD cards) are a good deal slower, so unless you have an emulator and enough RAM to store the entire game image in the new DSi (a possibility I'm not ruling out), you aren't going to have any way to play GBA stuff.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So the new Sonic game looks to be a sequel to Secret Rings, right? (Gameplay-wise?)

What the hell happened to that werewolf thing? Where did that game go?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

What the hell happened to that werewolf thing? Where did that game go?

It's still coming out. There were some new screens or info a couple of weeks ago. That's Unleashed.

I'm looking forward to Sonic Unleashed. But if Sonic and the Black Knight is a new game in the style of Secret Rings, then count me in on that. I loved Secret Rings.

slash000 on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

man, we better get retroactive points. I've registered a metric fuckload of games on there, and only the first three were worth loot.

...well, kirby got some minor loot in the mail, but that was a pack-in elsewhere anyway

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    MC MysteryMC Mystery Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've never bothered to register any of my games cause club nintendo didn't exist. AWESOME.

MC Mystery on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    l_cd41a4eb4e2844f196a9c3046df33f47.jpg
  • Options
    paco_pepepaco_pepe Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ok, retarded question, it has probably been brougth to the thread by now, but, is it called DSi becuse of the camera? you know, an eye?.

Ill go sit in the corner now.

paco_pepe on
    Paco+Pepper.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

* Picross DS
    * Super Princess Peach

You're kidding, right? Right? These games don't have a rumble feature, surely? D:

I mean damn. I own all of those, and I never picked up a rumble pack. Now I feel like I missed out.

But seriously, Picross? o_O I'm not sure that game loses much from not having a Rumble Pak.

Legba on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The same way most console games don't lose much if rumble is off. It's just nice to have.

Glal on