As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New DS w/camera & DL games, Wii storage fix, Sin & Punishment 2, more! Check OP

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Rakai wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    If it's a dollar more than $20 over here I'm not going to bother. The only reason Resi4 got away with $30 was because it had significant wii control upgrades, it had remixed gameplay, it had added content, and it supported widescreen and proscan.

My bet is that this line of Cube games will be $30 over here, which sucks.

I won't pay a buck over 20 without very significant wii remote control enhancements, and even then, I'd s till be wary.

Basically it was the PS2 version with Wii controls. More people owned PS2's than gamecubes so if Capcom can get away with it, I don't see why Nintendo can't.

And vastly superior graphics.

Bzzt. No.

Uh, the Wii verson of RE4 did indeed have superior graphics compared to the PS2 version.

Yeah it did. The PS2 version was a downgrade from the Cube, and the Wii version restored those graphics plus the additional PS2 content.

Actually I thought Wii one was even slightly better than the Cube one? Was that just progressive/widescreen?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If it's a dollar more than $20 over here I'm not going to bother. The only reason Resi4 got away with $30 was because it had significant wii control upgrades, it had remixed gameplay, it had added content, and it supported widescreen and proscan.

I won't pay a buck over 20 without very significant wii remote control enhancements, and even then, I'd s till be wary.

Basically it was the PS2 version with Wii controls. More people owned PS2's than gamecubes so if Capcom can get away with it, I don't see why Nintendo can't.

Bzzt. No.

Uh, the Wii verson of RE4 did indeed have superior graphics compared to the PS2 version.

Insignificant at best. No where near what one would use the word "vastly" for. The only people who even comment on the difference were disgruntled Gamecube owners who were upset that their "exclusive" was ported to another system with more features and lots of single player content. They needed to somehow justify that they had the "superior" version and so they began understating the extra stuff while turning ant hills into mountains with the graphical difference.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

Well, the GC version was exactly 1.5 better than the PS2 version, according to my numbers, so by that logic:

WiiRE4 = (GCRE4)(2+Dt) = π(PS2RE4)

So the Wii version is at least pi times as good as the ps2 version.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

Yeah it did. The PS2 version was a downgrade from the Cube, and the Wii version restored those graphics plus the additional PS2 content.

Actually I thought Wii one was even slightly better than the Cube one? Was that just progressive/widescreen?

It's possible most people didn't own component cables for Gamecubes as well. That would make a difference too.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nickle wrote: »

Bzzt. No.

Well, the GC version was exactly 1.5 better than the PS2 version, according to my numbers, so by that logic:

WiiRE4 = (GCRE4)(2+Dt) = π(PS2RE4)

So the Wii version is at least pi times as good as the ps2 version.

My name is urahonky, and I approve this post. :^:

urahonky on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm looking forward to Pikmin 2. I never picked it up and now it's $30-$40 for a used copy, so something around that price with Wii controls would be fine for me.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

Insignificant at best. No where near what one would use the word "vastly" for. The only people who even comment on the difference were disgruntled Gamecube owners who were upset that their "exclusive" was ported to another system with more features and lots of single player content. They needed to somehow justify that they had the "superior" version and so they began understating the extra stuff while turning ant hills into mountains with the graphical difference.

Can't say I care too much about the graphical difference, as the PS2 version looked good enough from what I've seen, but I do seem to recall seeing some side-by-side comparisons that showed the Wii version does have a fairly significant graphical edge over the PS2 version.

Aydr on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    blah blah ps2 gamecube wii RE4
    The important part is that the Wii version melded the slightly improved GCN graphics with an improved control scheme, the PS2's proper widescreen support, the extra game content, and the ability to use progressive scan since fuck you for taking the extra A/V output off the back of the Cube, Nintendo :x

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    blah blah ps2 gamecube wii RE4
    The important part is that the Wii version melded the slightly improved GCN graphics with an improved control scheme, the PS2's proper widescreen support, the extra game content, and the ability to use progressive scan since fuck you for taking the extra A/V output off the back of the Cube, Nintendo :x

At least they didn't remove backwards compatibility!

Except at the time, there wasn't any to remove!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wii RE4 is indeed noticeably better-looking than PS2 RE4.
    Very noticeably.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait, there are people who act like re4 wii looks like the ps2 version?
    the ps2 version looked like shit next to the cube version and the wii port is a lot nicer looking than that one

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm planning on picking up the Wii ports of the Prime games, but not until I can find them used. I already own them so there's no need to but them at full ($30) price again.

And honestly, I'm shocked Nintendo is even putting in the effort the port them to the Wii. I always it would have been a good idea to reprint a bunch of Gamecube games and start production on GC memory cards and controllers and sell them all for a discounted price. There's so many people that own a Wii that didn't own a Gamecube that it would be a really easy way to get "new" games to these people while "double dipping" their old games. Hell, I'm sure a bunch of third parties would have gotten into it too if it proved successful, since at that point it would be close to free money.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I'm planning on picking up the Wii ports of the Prime games, but not until I can find them used. I already own them so there's no need to but them at full ($30) price again.

And honestly, I'm shocked Nintendo is even putting in the effort the port them to the Wii. I always it would have been a good idea to reprint a bunch of Gamecube games and start production on GC memory cards and controllers and sell them all for a discounted price. There's so many people that own a Wii that didn't own a Gamecube that it would be a really easy way to get "new" games to these people while "double dipping" their old games. Hell, I'm sure a bunch of third parties would have gotten into it too if it proved successful, since at that point it would be close to free money.

While you could probably get people to buy GameCube game, most probably wouldn't buy GC controllers when all their other games will play with the Wii remote and Nunchuk and memory cards when all their other games don't need one.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait, there are people who act like re4 wii looks like the ps2 version?
    the ps2 version looked like shit next to the cube version and the wii port is a lot nicer looking than that one

Let's do some old school SAT video game analogy.

RE 4 Wii/GCN:RE4 PS2:: Dead Rising 360:Chop till you Drop.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SirUltimos wrote: »

I've seen a few third party GC games with "Works On Wii!" stckers lately, notably Tomb Raider Legend and a two-pack of that ridiculous Skittles game and some other game. It's not quite what you mean (it's probably just old stock) and it could have been done by a vendor or distributor, but someone is thinking about how to sell GC titles to Wii owners.

Also, backing your point up, Walmart still carries a third party wireless GC controller (and a third party memory card)--it's a lousy controller, but there's some kind of demand to be met, even if it's not massive.

Norfair on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI

How dare you disgruntled Gamecube owners go around telling the truth.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Punch Out!!?!

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Oh, snap!

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    re4ps2.jpg

Does anyone remember "Why is Leon swinging into a PS1 game?"

That was great.
    Now, I'm sorry to say, it looks like he's swinging into your average 3rd party Wii game.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qz0LbKpZtI

that doesn't look insignificant.

I love the "lol fanboys" card played by Rakai. Prick.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The fact that RE4 on Cube looks that good makes me sad at how shitty many Wii games look.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

Bzzt. No.

Uh, not even a little bit. I have absolutely nothing invested in the RE franchise. RE4 was the first one I'd ever played, and even I could see the PS2 version looked like shit in comparison.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just noticed the title said Wii storage fix. What was it?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Saving directly to SD card although not confirmed weather that means playing from it or not.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't really care about the camera or internet features, but the whole VC-like DLing games thing sounds pretty damn sweet. But then again I just bought my DS recently.

dclee on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Saving directly to SD card although not confirmed weather that means playing from it or not.

Someone somewhere (on this board I believe) said that for Rock Band 2, the game will copy the song data off the SD card into Wii memory then delete the Wii memory data once it's finished. Says you needed 200 free blocks to do this.

Interesting workaround.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nocren wrote: »

Someone somewhere (on this board I believe) said that for Rock Band 2, the game will copy the song data off the SD card into Wii memory then delete the Wii memory data once it's finished. Says you needed 200 free blocks to do this.

Interesting workaround.

that's for GH. It'll probably work the same way for rockband, but I don't know if they've announced that method yet.

Guek on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited October 2008
    well, it's a solution at least.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BTW, here is Nintendo's own, official translation of what Iwata said about storage solution:

"We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it. We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible."

I hope this clarifies things lil bit.

Source

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    BTW, here is Nintendo's own, official translation of what Iwata said about storage solution:

"We will make it so that, when there is not enough room on the Wii's internal memory, you will be able to purchase and download Virtual Console and WiiWare software directly from the Shopping Channel to an SD memory card. We will also make it so that you will need to go through just one process in order to transfer Virtual Console or WiiWare software stored on an SD card to the Wii console and then be able to play it. We would like to deal with this issue utilizing two methods. Since the updates to realize these new structures will require significant revisions to the Wii system, and these changes need to be made by taking care of a variety of different angles, this method will become effective beginning next spring. For some of you, this may be considered late. But please know that we really appreciate your cooperation and understanding. We are working hard so we can begin the service as soon as possible."

Source

I must be super tired or something, but can someone break that down a bit for me? I'm not comprehending what it will mean for me as an end user.

stavesacre on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    stavesacre wrote: »

Source

I must be super tired or something, but can someone break that down a bit for me? I'm not comprehending what it will mean for me as an end user.

I think what it means is that if your Wii is at a certain point with memory usage, your downloads will go straight to your SD card, and then if you want to play something on your SD card, it will transfer it to the Wii temporarily to let you play it? It sounds pretty much like the Guitar Hero thing.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SAW776 wrote: »

Source

I think what it means is that if your Wii is at a certain point with memory usage, your downloads will go straight to your SD card, and then if you want to play something on your SD card, it will transfer it to the Wii temporarily to let you play it? It sounds pretty much like the Guitar Hero thing.

Yeah - sounds like to me they just plan on partitioning some extra space on the wii's memory to hold a large (max size?) game, and then you will be able to "play off the sd card" by loading into that space before playing.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    SAW776 wrote: »

Source

Yeah - sounds like to me they just plan on partitioning some extra space on the wii's memory to hold a large (max size?) game, and then you will be able to "play off the sd card" by loading into that space before playing.
    I hope everything still shows up in the channel menu with that method.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm sure they can have it do that if they so decide! Probably with some icon or indicator showing that it's on the sd card. Obviously you are going to have some way to access these games so it may as well be on the main menu.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Hopefully they add more pages to the system menu.

Or allow you to like, hold down a button and then you choose between VC, WiiWare, etc.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hahaha, I'm sure the solution will be "just delete the games and redownload them when you want to play them". Until the problem becomes widespread, that is~

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but have we discussed the Cave Story port to the Wii yet?

Link if you wanna see more.

Hmmm delicious bonus content!

Curly_Brace on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I assume it does because we can already stick all our shit on SD cards, so that wouldn't be anything new.

My fear is that it means only future titles will be playable off SD, not games already available.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what's funny? Excite Truck, a launch title, could stream MP3s off of an SD card. I don't know for 100% certain that it wasn't copying them first, but I'm really pretty sure it was not.

Why does there have to be some kind of absurd workaround for DLC?

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You know what's funny? Excite Truck, a launch title, could stream MP3s off of an SD card. I don't know for 100% certain that it wasn't copying them first, but I'm really pretty sure it was not.

Why does there have to be some kind of absurd workaround for DLC?

Well, DLC songs for Guitar Hero and Rock Band include multiple audio tracks and are probably high bitrate too. It's probably not strictly necessary, but in the case of especially slow SD cards it might cause problems for streaming. By copying to the internal memory first they can ensure that it's going to be fast enough.

It makes less sense to do this for WiiWare and Virtual Console games, and even other types of DLC, which at best are loaded entirely into memory when you start them, and at worst have to be able to account for unusually slow loading times anyway.

mntorankusu on