As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    KeidrychKeidrych Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    greeble wrote: »
    Really the only two games this is missing that I wish it had are Rocket Knight Adventures and that insanely hard Batman and Robin coop game

And General Chaos.

And Quackshot.

General Chaos was fantastic. I remember fondly the day when I dismantled a friend's five man squad with my piddly two man squad.

Keidrych on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Why'd they append Sonic to the front of this? To get the kiddies who buy the new Sonic games on principal to buy this?

...because he's Sega's Mascot and this is a Sega game collection? It goes without saying, really; if they wanted to get the Sonic fans in they'd have had the kind of Sonic they're familiar with - the modern, 'hip' Sonic on the cover as opposed to retro Sonic.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    jesusfuck

what a collection

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SethMcCoySethMcCoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    darren66 wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Ah yeah, Wii owners are getting charged through the teeth for most of these games individually on VC, maybe double or triple the price of the compliation altogether.

Double or triple? I'm afraid to do the math, but it's waaay higher than that.

Well Sega Genesis games are 800 Wii Points each and this collecion boasts 40+ titles.

At just 40 titles you have a price tag of 40 x 800 = 32,000 Points or $320.

...my stomach hurts...

(granted you wouldn't buy all of the titles in this collection unless for some reason you actually wanted to play Sonic Spinball)

Also, (not that it's much of a consolation) the Sega games that are on the XBLA have been 400 XB Points or $5. So if they had this whole collection on XBLA (which they don't at all) it would be 40 x $5 = $200.

I say it's quite a deal. Either that or they've been bleeding us out on VC prices...

SethMcCoy on
    Petitio Principii, Circulus in Probando
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I can't wait to finally beat phantasy star 4. I only have vauge memories of the game, but I seem to remember a point where you'd get transported off your home planet to some other place and there was a very sharp difficulty increase and I could never get past there on a rental (I was a kid and wasn't so good at leveling up). One thing I hope they do though is increase the movement speed of those old-school RPGs somehow. Because you move SLOOOOW in them.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mmmm Phantasy Star, those games are sex. Fuck you PSO I want a PS5

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    One thing I hope they do though is increase the movement speed of those old-school RPGs somehow. Because you move SLOOOOW in them.
    That's what this is for:

61W8afBQnVL._SS400_.jpg

caption4b.jpg

Also includes US versions of PSI through PSIV.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Wait, what is that? That never came out in North America did it?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    All I needed to know is that is has Shining Force in it.

SHINING FUCKING FORCE.

Sorry FFTA, but I'm dumping you for my old girlfriend.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Even though Sega has milked the same games across several compilations, this set is worth having for these reasons:

*$30.00 pricetag
    *Shining Force Trilogy
    *Phantasy Star 1 - 4
    *Space Harrier Arcade
    *Streets of Rage 2
    *ComixZone

Of the compilations I own now, I'm just going to sell them. The only one I'm keeping is the Sonic Gems Collection for the GC, since it's the only place to get Sonic CD.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Streets of Rage 3 is also good. Wasn't quite as good as 2, but its still fun and worth playing.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Am I the only one who thought SR3 was better than SR2 then?

I remember getting in heated arguments over which one was better with my friends.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    SoR 3 was a really fun game, but for some reason when I want to play one of the old SoR games, I always go back and play 2.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Even though Sega has milked the same games across several compilations, this set is worth having for these reasons:

*$30.00 pricetag
    *Shining Force Trilogy
    *Phantasy Star 1 - 4
    *Space Harrier Arcade
    *Streets of Rage 2
    *ComixZone

Of the compilations I own now, I'm just going to sell them. The only one I'm keeping is the Sonic Gems Collection for the GC, since it's the only place to get Sonic CD.

Don't remind me that we'll never see a fully translated version of Shining Force III please, it saddens me.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Is it fucked up that I'm still going to keep my PS2 collection in case I decide I want to play Sword of Vermillion again one day? (I will probably never want to play Sword of Vermillion again.)

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I remember getting in heated arguments over which one was better with my friends.

Yeah I have a hard time picking which one I like better, SR2 has better music and Max. While 3 had leveling up and weapon affinities.... SR3 would be definitely be my favorite if it had Max.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited January 2009

*$30.00 pricetag
    *Shining Force Trilogy
    *Phantasy Star 1 - 4
    *Space Harrier Arcade
    *Streets of Rage 2
    *ComixZone

Don't remind me that we'll never see a fully translated version of Shining Force III please, it saddens me.

Sorry, it's sad, I know. I was counting the localized trilogy: Shining in the Darkness, Shining Force, Shining Force II.

And there is nothing wrong with holding onto a game if there is something on there you want to keep. (Even though I would rather shove an icepick under my finger nails than ever play Sword of Vermilion again.)

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »

I used to go back and forth over which I preferred, but I'm pretty much solidly locked into SoR2 at this point. I'd say that BK3 was about 1 step forward and 1 step back over BK2, and then the localization took it another step back. There were a lot of gameplay improvements (more moves, better special system, no reused bosses, more balance, playable Shiva), but everything else seemed to take a hit (most notably music, aesthetics and boring locales, weapon lifebars). And then Sega fucked it up even more with the changes to the difficulty, graphics, and story in the US version.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Apparently not. And I'm pissed it didn't.

This collection is hot. I'm saddened at the apparent loss of Sword of Vermillion, but I guess we can't have too many good things.

... even though, like, the entire list is good things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's what this is for:

jpg

caption4b.jpg

Also includes US versions of PSI through PSIV.
    Gah, they never did release that Sega Ages collection here in the States, did they? I always wanted to play that updated original Phantasy Star. It is (or was) an awesome game, but it has not aged terribly well visually.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Apparently not. And I'm pissed it didn't.

This collection is hot. I'm saddened at the apparent loss of Sword of Vermillion, but I guess we can't have too many good things.

... even though, like, the entire list is good things.

Fuck, all this talk of Sword of Vermillion makes me want to go buy the PSP version, but I must be strong. I must.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    February 10? Shit, thought it was March.

Pre-ordering this shit tomorrow.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Since it has been years since I have played any of these games, I think I'll start off simple and where it started....Sonic the Hedgehog. :D

After a quick game of that, I'm jumping into playing through the Shining Force Games again. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ganluan on
  • Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I've never really boughten one of these collections before... there's always that whole worry that I'll just buy it and never play it... but man, 40 and more games... plus bonuses? I think it's about time I picked one of these up, or wait for Tails' Ultimate Genesis Collection.

I mean, slapping on a filter after up uprezzing the games to hi def can't be that bad, right? ... right?

Edit: Thankfully it's optional, but after toying around with emulators back in the day, I kind of like that look to be honest. That doesn't make me bad, does it?

There's just something about playing these games on a pc that was always so boring, I want to support the publisher, and be playing on my couch too.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm kind of surprised SCEA is letting a collection of 2d games onto the PS3, when they won't even let people release 2D games on the PS2 without jumping through all kinds of hoops.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm kind of surprised SCEA is letting a collection of 2d games onto the PS3, when they won't even let people release 2D games on the PS2 without jumping through all kinds of hoops.
    They're not exactly in a good position to be turning down PS3 support.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    They're not exactly in a good position to be turning down PS3 support.

I'd like to think they wouldn't care about what comes out on the PS2 at this point, either, but I heard a rumor that they're now requiring games to have US VA, or they can't be released.

Supposedly that's why Super Robot Taisen OG PS2 hasn't been released here. Atlus didn't have the budget to redub the whole game, and they didn't want to take out the voice-overs.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hm. This doesn't have any Wonderboy games on it.
    Yes I know they were Master System games, but still.
    They're awesome.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The most fun fact ever: This guy right here

Kid_Chameleon_Coverart.png

The dude in the leather jacket and shades... thats a real person, named Dean Sitton. Well that dude, the same dude on the cover, fucking came up with the name Dr. Robotnik. Yes, the dude on the cover for kid chameleon is the localizer who came up with the name Dr. Robotnik, along with the titles Quack Shot and Decap Attack. He also named almost all of the best badniks from sonic 1 - Catterkiller, crabmeat, buzz bomber, etc.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also worth noting, because I'm being picky, that this does NOT include the "Shining Force Trilogy"

The shining Force Trilogy is Shining Force I, II, and III. Shining in the Darkness isn't a shining force game, it's a SHINING game, of which Shining Force is a member of. That is, the series is the SHINING series, not the shining force series.

And even if you want to limit it to only 16-bit platforms, this still isn't a shining force trilogy because it doesn't include Shining Force CD.

Also, shining force III scenario 2 is in english now. And Scenario 3 is coming.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Why would Sega need a localizer when they were an American company at the time of Sonic's conception? Or is my memory on that fuzzy?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Why would Sega need a localizer when they were an American company at the time of Sonic's conception? Or is my memory on that fuzzy?

You're memory is fuzzy.

EDIT: Your, too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Holy shit I didn't realize it was you, TSR. I'm used to the Sonic avatar you've used for years now.

Henroid on
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'm surprised there hasn't been any mention of the latest Retronaut's podcast, since they interviewed Sega's Ethan Einhorn about this.

It was a pretty weak episode, but it does make me a little more interested.

AJR on
    Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also worth noting, because I'm being picky, that this does NOT include the "Shining Force Trilogy"

The shining Force Trilogy is Shining Force I, II, and III. Shining in the Darkness isn't a shining force game, it's a SHINING game, of which Shining Force is a member of. That is, the series is the SHINING series, not the shining force series.

And even if you want to limit it to only 16-bit platforms, this still isn't a shining force trilogy because it doesn't include Shining Force CD.

Also, shining force III scenario 2 is in english now. And Scenario 3 is coming.

Even though you are correct, I have always called them the Shining Force Trilogy and probably always will. Shining Force III was never officially localized, so I don't usually think of it when talking about the Genesis series.

But if you need to nit pik, then no, it's not officially a trilogy.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ah yeah, Wii owners are getting charged through the teeth for most of these games individually on VC, maybe double or triple the price of the compliation altogether.

This makes me so happy I haven't bought a single Sega game on the VC. I KNEW this was going to happen - Nintendo will NEVER give away so many of their great old games for such a dirt cheap price, but Sega's got a track record.

Plus, having never owned a Sega as a kid, I haven't beat very many of these games despite having played them at friend's houses and stuff like that. Plus it's only $30. Can't wait to see how these games look in HD. What does an old game usually look like when they do that?

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shining Force III was never officially localized.
    Scenario 1 was.
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Can't wait to see how these games look in HD. What does an old game usually look like when they do that?
    Like shit.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Shining Force III was never officially localized, so I don't usually think of it when talking about the Genesis series.

But if you need to nit pik, then no, it's not officially a trilogy.

Shining_Force_III_cover.jpg

:D

I get what you mean though. Scenario II and III were never localized officially (although Scenario II has been unofficially translated and Scenario III is coming)
    Can't wait to see how these games look in HD. What does an old game usually look like when they do that?
    Like shit.

Depends on the filter used. Unfortunately, this looks like it uses a Sai2X varient which, I agree, looks like shit.

But not all filters look bad. One of my friends (The author of Gens, by the by) has been developing a filter that is a varient of Hq2X that looks very nice, and I really like NTSC filters.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

This makes me so happy I haven't bought a single Sega game on the VC. I KNEW this was going to happen - Nintendo will NEVER give away so many of their great old games for such a dirt cheap price, but Sega's got a track record.

Plus, having never owned a Sega as a kid, I haven't beat very many of these games despite having played them at friend's houses and stuff like that. Plus it's only $30. Can't wait to see how these games look in HD. What does an old game usually look like when they do that?

Yea, I haven't bought many Sega VC games mostly due to me owning them all on different sets. Most of my collection is made up of Nintendo owned properties and such.

Sixfortyfive: Thank you, I didn't know that actually. I retract what I said earlier then...although I'll probably still call them a trilogy. :P

TSR: I never owned a Saturn, so I never realized they released that. Awesome, it makes me want to play it, I'm always up for more Shining Force goodness. Thanks for the info. :^:

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!