As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection coming to 360/PS3 for $30 -has Shining & St of Rage

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »
    The fact that this has Dynamite Headdy on it makes it worth the 30 bucks alone. I payed 60 dollars for it back when it came out on Genesis. Best $60 game I've ever bought.
    Really? Cause I bought DH on Wii's Virtual Console and couldn't be bothered to play it more than twice.
    It felt messy and most of all unfun. Unfortunately you can't sell or trade in VC titles :x

Who knows, maybe I just hate fun, but I don't think this collection will appeal to me, since I already bought most games on it at one point in time.

I want to say, "Well, I could see how people wouldn't like Dynamite Heddy," but... I'd be lying.

Seriously, every level is unique in design. The concept of having different heads to attack as opposed to zomgguns is so awesome. And the whole setting of the game is great too.

I guess light-hearted games aren't for everyone.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sega had some great platformers back then and Dynamite Heddy and Ristar were two of them. Even Vectorman was a fantastic series.

I can't wait till next week. I need this game. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wasn't there some big contest when Vectorman came out involving beating the game first, or something like that?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Wasn't there some big contest when Vectorman came out involving beating the game first, or something like that?

Might've been involved with the Sega Channel.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    For some reason I was never able to beat the Vectorman games...1 or 2.

They were pretty difficult.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    Ganluan wrote: »

Might've been involved with the Sega Channel.

Ah, here it is - guess it involved being lucky with the cartridge itself:
    http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/whats_new/past/vectorman-contest.html

Ganluan on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    For some reason I was never able to beat the Vectorman games...1 or 2.

They were pretty difficult.
    Vectorman 1 is one of the easiest games I've ever played. It was one of few action games that I beat in a single rental back then.

It was okay, but I felt it was more style over substance. Flashy graphics and neat transformation stuff but not so interesting on the platforming/shooting front. Some nice tunes though.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5146224/aussie-genesis-collection-preorder-bonus-is-amazing
    Australians who preorder the enormous Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection from select stores will be able to snag a rare treat, in the form of a blue vinyl record containing classic Sega tunes.

The Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (Genesis Ultimate Collection in the states) collects more than 40 classic Sega titles on one disc for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with tweaked graphics for true HD gameplay. Even if that weren't worth $56.98 to Australian customers, the preorder bonus surely is. Limited to 3,500 pieces, the Limited Edition Vinyl Soundtrack contains six classic tracks from Sega's past, with Vectorman, Space Harrier, Golden Axe, and Ristar, all reproduced on a gorgeous 12 inch album. Seriously drool-worthy.

viynl.jpg

I want this....now. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Personally, I'd say they could have done with removing the two Vectorman games, Altered Beast, and Super Thunder Blade, and replaced them with Afterburner, Super Monaco GP, Super Hang On, and Virtua Racing.

Not gonna stop me getting this though.

GRAND UPPAH!!!

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would have taken the rest of the Shinobi games myself.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait for the PlayStation 6 when we start getting Ultimate PlayStation 2 Collections and stuff.

That would limit the collection to only Sony-published games, no?

I guess God of War 1 and 2 would be on there, the Gran Turismos, the Jak and Daxter collection, the Ratchet and Clank collection, with any luck, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and possibly the Sly Cooper games. Can't really think of too many other games Sony's published that would be absolutely mandatory in a mega package.

I'm crying at the lack of hardcore RPG goodness. Maybe they could update Legend of Dragoon for this, but that game sucks worse than a Dustbuster from the early 90s.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2009
    I would kill for a Sly Cooper collection.

Ok, maybe not kill....but maim very badly.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait for the PlayStation 6 when we start getting Ultimate PlayStation 2 Collections and stuff.

I guess God of War 1 and 2 would be on there, the Gran Turismos, the Jak and Daxter collection, the Ratchet and Clank collection, with any luck, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and possibly the Sly Cooper games. Can't really think of too many other games Sony's published that would absolutely mandatory in a mega package.

ICO/SOTC, Killzone and maybe the SOCOM games. Not sure if stuff like EyeToy, Buzz! and Singstar would be in (almost certainly not the Singstar games, due to licensing).

LewieP on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I would pay untold amounts of money for MGS3 in 1080p with 60FPS, I know its not sony published but...

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I guess God of War 1 and 2 would be on there, the Gran Turismos, the Jak and Daxter collection, the Ratchet and Clank collection, with any luck, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, and possibly the Sly Cooper games. Can't really think of too many other games Sony's published that would be absolutely mandatory in a mega package.

I'm crying at the lack of hardcore RPG goodness. Maybe they could update Legend of Dragoon for this, but that game sucks worse than a Dustbuster from the early 90s.

Take what you said back about Legend of Dragoon. That game was fantastic sir! :x

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NO fucking Sonic 3 & Knuckles. No Knuckles in Sonic 2. No Blue Spheres. No Lock on stuff whatsoever. Fuck you Sega. :(

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Personally, I'd say they could have done with removing the two Vectorman games, Altered Beast, and Super Thunder Blade, and replaced them with Afterburner, Super Monaco GP, Super Hang On, and Virtua Racing.

Personally, I'd say you're wrong. The vectorman games are pretty fun, and Altered Beast is god damn amazing. I'd replace STB w/ Afterburner though.

darklite_x on
    Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Altered Beast is god damn amazing.
    Altered Beast was so bad that the president of SoA straight-up told his Japanese bosses that they weren't going to be able to sell the damn console without a better pack-in.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NO fucking Sonic 3 & Knuckles. No Knuckles in Sonic 2. No Blue Spheres. No Lock on stuff whatsoever. Fuck you Sega. :(

Sucks for Sonic fans.

So wait, Sonic and Knuckles is its own separate game, then? I always thought it was just a little expansion cart for Sonic 2 and 3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    darklite_x wrote: »
    Altered Beast is god damn amazing.
    Altered Beast was so bad that the president of SoA straight-up told his Japanese bosses that they weren't going to be able to sell the damn console without a better pack-in.

And after his wisdom put Sega on a level playing field with Nintendo, it all went downhill once that idiot Stolar took over.

Though I guess Sega JP wasn't much help, either.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://kotaku.com/5146224/aussie-genesis-collection-preorder-bonus-is-amazing
    Australians who preorder the enormous Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection from select stores will be able to snag a rare treat, in the form of a blue vinyl record containing classic Sega tunes.

The Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection (Genesis Ultimate Collection in the states) collects more than 40 classic Sega titles on one disc for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, with tweaked graphics for true HD gameplay. Even if that weren't worth $56.98 to Australian customers, the preorder bonus surely is. Limited to 3,500 pieces, the Limited Edition Vinyl Soundtrack contains six classic tracks from Sega's past, with Vectorman, Space Harrier, Golden Axe, and Ristar, all reproduced on a gorgeous 12 inch album. Seriously drool-worthy.

viynl.jpg

I want this....now. :(

Any Australians want to make pre-orders for your American friends? ;-)

(At the very least, pre-order that package and toss up the bonus on eBay or some better trading site. You should rack up quite a few bids on a limited item like that.)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sucks for Sonic fans.

So wait, Sonic and Knuckles is its own separate game, then? I always thought it was just a little expansion cart for Sonic 2 and 3.

Technically it's Sonic 3 Part 2, it's just that Knuckles became so popular in Japan they thought they may as well make him playable. There's still evidence that S&K was never meant to be separate - the level select for Sonic 3 includes Mushroom Hill, Flying Battery, and Sandopolis, and the sound test includes every zone from S&K.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    it's just that Knuckles became so popular in Japan they thought they may as well make him playable.
    Somehow I doubt this was the reasoning.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Take what you said back about Legend of Dragoon. That game was fantastic sir! :x

Sorry. but I agree with him, Legend of Dragoon sucked horribly. It took several years and 200 people to create a poor attempt at ripping off Final Fantasy 7? Psshh!

You don't want to start me on listing all the things that were wrong with that game.

Matthew on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Matthew wrote: »

Sorry. but I agree with him, Legend of Dragoon sucked horribly. It took several years and 200 people to create a poor attempt at ripping off Final Fantasy 7? Psshh!

You don't want to start me on listing all the things that were wrong with that game.

List them.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sucks for Sonic fans.

Technically it's Sonic 3 Part 2, it's just that Knuckles became so popular in Japan they thought they may as well make him playable. There's still evidence that S&K was never meant to be separate - the level select for Sonic 3 includes Mushroom Hill, Flying Battery, and Sandopolis, and the sound test includes every zone from S&K.

Basically, Sonic 3 was Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles originally. All the zones from both games which make it the longest Sonic game and largely as it is now, except some zones were moved around (Flying Battery Zone followed Carnival Night... and then Ice Cap, as opposed to Carnival Night into Ice Cap.

They realised they weren't going to make their target date and they'd already slipped a couple of times, so they chopped the game in 2. As said above, Sonic 3 still contains data and music for Sonic & Knuckles' levels. They added in the lock on stuff, and buying both games and 'locking' them together allows you to play as Knuckles in Sonic 3 Levels and Tails in Sonic & Knuckles levels and, level order switcharound notwithstanding, the game is much as it was originally intended to be.

The reason I'm so pissed is that all it requires to do the lock ons are the ROMs of Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. You take the two respective games and combine them, basically - indeed, this can be done with two seperate ROM dumps to make the lock-on version on a PC! All the ROMs are on the fucking disc, so there's really no excuse for not including S3K or even Knuckles in Sonic 2 - Mega Collection had both.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    GinraiGinrai Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Where did you find out there wouldn't be any lock-on? And does anyone know if this was available in prior collections?

Ginrai on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    There's a guy who already has it and has posted a bunch of stuff on YouTube. Unless it's some kind of obscure unlockable, it's not in. And Sega has already listed all the other unlockables on their Sega Europe blog; I dunno why they'd list all the others and not the lock on stuff, which many people thought of as a given.

APZonerunner on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's too bad, since I also thought it was a given.

Not a deal breaker for me though, since I have no interest in that feature.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do you miss out on anything by not having the lock-on, other than playing as Knuckles in the other games? You don't need to play through both games together to unlock the last level or something, do you?

If not then I'm okay with it. Using Knuckles to bypass a bunch of the obstacles in Sonic 2 was fun, but I'll live without it.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Do you miss out on anything by not having the lock-on, other than playing as Knuckles in the other games? You don't need to play through both games together to unlock the last level or something, do you?

If not then I'm okay with it. Using Knuckles to bypass a bunch of the obstacles in Sonic 2 was fun, but I'll live without it.
    If you're playing the games separately, it means:
    - no playing as Knuckles in Sonic 3 (which leaves many areas, some very large, completely inaccessible)
    - no playing as Tails in S&K
    - no Hyper forms or Super Tails
    - no saving in S&K
    - no Knuckles in Sonic 2
    - no Blue Sphere bonus game
    - a buggier Sonic 3 (S&K/S3&K corrected many bugs that were present in the original Sonic 3, though I'd have a hard time remembering what many of them did because it's been so long.)

It's stupid and an incredibly lazy oversight. The lock-on feature is apparently even mentioned in the collection, but it isn't implemented. And implementing it is no more complicated than literally adding a Sonic 3 ROM to the end of a Sonic & Knuckles ROM.

But you shouldn't be buying this collection for the Sonic games anyway, as there is a lot of worthwhile content. I do find it hilarious that they added their mascot's name to the damn title for the US release and still gimped one of his best games at the same time. Oh, Sega.

Sixfortyfive on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    All of those things are things that I can go without.

Well, no saving in S&K is kind of a bitch but I'll live.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait to get this for four reasons....all four starting with the words Phantasy Star.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    All of those things are things that I can go without.

Well, no saving in S&K is kind of a bitch but I'll live.

If it's anything like the Mega Collection, it'll have some kind of pseudo-save-state thing, where you can hit a button to end up in the pause menu (not the actual game's pause) and save your current state to the HD. The only difference between this and an emulator's save state is that it's about 10 times slower.

BlitzAce1981 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can't wait to get this for four reasons....all four starting with the words Phantasy Star.

Precisely my reasoning. The other 36 games are just fluff.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Precicely...they should have just named the game "The Phantasy Star Collection....now with 36 more games at no cost!"

:P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    rumpleslappskinrumpleslappskin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anyone know if there is a risk of frame drops on the ps3? i want to get it for the 360 but the thought of using that horrid d-pad is convincing me to get it for ps3.

rumpleslappskin on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    anyone know if there is a risk of frame drops on the ps3? i want to get it for the 360 but the thought of using that horrid d-pad is convincing me to get it for ps3.

:lol: Though I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other, I'm pretty sure the ps3 will be able to handle genesis games.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    greeble wrote: »

:lol: Though I haven't heard anything about it one way or the other, I'm pretty sure the ps3 will be able to handle genesis games.

360 does what PlayStashuns.
    D: I'm so sorry

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Don't forget Shining Force 2 (and to a lesser extent SF1 & Shining in the Darkness). :)

RainbowDespair on