Options

Thread Left 4 Dead; make a new Dead Thread 4 Dead

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Went from 180 to 178 last night after trying the game and having really bad stuttering problems.

178 seems to have fixed it.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I cant play VS anymore.

I just cant. This is the first game to actually make me angry more than 1-2 times since battlefield 2.

Campaign one expert only now, unless I'm VS'ing with you guys.

Amen to that. Bad VS games are the most infuriating things.

Vic on
  • Options
    Kay2Kay2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still love this game, even though I suck at it most of the time. FPS games just aren't my forte.

However, after pouncing at Francis about 5 times last night before I finally hit him, I think lag is at least part of my problem. I -do- like punching people off the roof of the hospital, though.

Kay2 on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    does anyone know where the player models are? I wanna play with them in 3ds max..

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think if a hunter or zombie special gets a punch in on a survivor they should stagger back, as opposed to the "HURFADURF RIGHT CLICK" mode it is now, where even if you get the jump/surprise and get two slashes in, its negated by the hurfadurfery.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    marty wrote: »
    I think if a hunter or zombie special gets a punch in on a survivor they should stagger back, as opposed to the "HURFADURF RIGHT CLICK" mode it is now, where even if you get the jump/surprise and get two slashes in, its negated by the hurfadurfery.

Well if your close to someone who gets pounced by a hunter, you do stagger back from recoil, which kinda helps the hunter, but not for long.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like how it is. If you get behind someone whos being super swarmed, or boomer biled, and right click, they often wont notice that there healthbar is going down more than when the other zombies hit them. I stabbed a dudes foot from full health to dead once without him realizing I exist.

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

Well if your close to someone who gets pounced by a hunter, you do stagger back from recoil, which kinda helps the hunter, but not for long.

Not pounce, just the normal scratch attack. The hunter is a superfuckinghuman zombie that can launch from a hundred feet away, yet is merely pushed aside by a superficial weapon tilt. The scratch should startle any survivor.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    That is the my primary means of attack these days Cango; the hunter is perfect for whittling down the health of survivors in tandem with boomers.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Not pounce, just the normal scratch attack. The hunter is a superfuckinghuman zombie that can launch from a hundred feet away, yet is merely pushed aside by a superficial weapon tilt. The scratch should startle any survivor.

That would, quite frankly, be massively overpowered.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Vic wrote: »

On a one to one basis, perhaps. But if you were moronic enough to run off alone, then you would deserve it. But introduce another survivor in, and its not nearly as different as before. *gets meleed from behind*

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

On a one to one basis, perhaps. But if you were moronic enough to run off alone, then you would deserve it. But introduce another survivor in, and its not nearly as different as before. *gets meleed from behind*

Let me just lay some truths on you.

If you have an idea on how to improve the balance of a Valve game, within weeks of it launching, and it seems 'totally obvious to you' then let me just say that you can ASSUME that Valve had the same idea months ago, playtested the shit out of it, and determined that it was in fact not a way to improve the game.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    That is the my primary means of attack these days Cango; the hunter is perfect for whittling down the health of survivors in tandem with boomers.

Not when it's me, biaaaatccch! I see you through the boomer bile!

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    CangoFett wrote: »
    I like how it is. If you get behind someone whos being super swarmed, or boomer biled, and right click, they often wont notice that there healthbar is going down more than when the other zombies hit them. I stabbed a dudes foot from full health to dead once without him realizing I exist.

The problem is that the survivor in your example was obviously not a very skilled players. I already know how to kill noobs, what I need to know is how to beat a skilled group using teamwork and melee spamming.

But then again, I think the hunter is more or less fine as he is. If I could ask for a change for him it would be temporary immunity to the melee knockback after the first hit taken. That would mean that the survivors first have to knock me back and then shoot me before I regain control and start to melee them.

If we could only have the smoker deal damage earlier and give the smoke cloud a weak damage over time effect I would be a happy puppy.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lay some truths? Why not be less subtle and just be a complete dick about it. It's pretty obvious to say that valve haven't always gotten it right (ie see pyro and scout in tf2). I'm just suggesting a redress to the current "hold rightclick" facility that always comes into play as survivor.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Divide and conquer. One on one you will succeed. If you are trying to attack a tight knit group of 4 players who are co-ordinating attacks you are the noob, not they. There is a reason all 4 super zombies have primary attacks which are designed to split up the group. It is very clever game design.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Domhnall wrote: »

haha, funniest moment yesterday was when you as a smoker scratched zoey to death; in the safe room no less

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

haha, funniest moment yesterday was when you as a smoker scratched zoey to death on some pubby

I just couldn't land the tongue. Don't tell me you're red if you're not!

My favourite moment was when I destroyed your team as the tank and then switched to your team and nigh on immediately killed Bill as the other three jumped into the sewers and then, once I jumped down, hung around the witch and got someone to shoot it thus incapacitating someone else*!

It was a shame Team Britannia was the largest fail that has ever occured in the history of PA vs. matches.

*I still hate playing smoker.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Divide and conquer. One on one you will succeed. If you are trying to attack a tight knit group of 4 players who are co-ordinating attacks you are the noob, not they. There is a reason all 4 super zombies have primary attacks which are designed to split up the group. It is very clever game design.

That's really not my playstyle nor the basis for my suggestion. What I suggested is if I got the surprise or jump on a cutoff player at the back of a group, if I hit him with scratch he would be startled; similarly, if his friend were to turn around and notice and melee me, I too would receive the melee pushback. As a hunter, I always target a sole player that I find relatively cutoff; you can ask anyone who plays regularly with me how finicky and precise I am with the timing of my scratch. My suggestion just makes the solo option for a survivor an even riskier choice.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

haha, funniest moment yesterday was when you as a smoker scratched zoey to death on some pubby

I just couldn't land the tongue. Don't tell me you're red if you're not!

My favourite moment was when I destroyed your team as the tank and then switched to your team and nigh on immediately killed Bill as the other three jumped into the sewers and then, once I jumped down, hung around the witch and got someone to shoot it thus incapacitating someone else*!

It was a shame Team Britannia was the largest fail that has ever occured in the history of PA vs. matches.

*I still hate playing smoker.

It didn't help we had astronomical pings. I was getting melee'd before I'd even connected with a survivor. And meleeing as a survivor was wonky because the zombies would feel the effects a good half second afterwards. I lost 20 health points in such a manner. And yes, I <3 being on your and flips team

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    I was a boomer in real life this morning!

I completely missed any survivors, though. I need to work on arcing.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't get how pissy people seem to get about vs. It's incredibly easy to "exit to main menu" and "join game in progress"

Also, I assumed the tank timer was just to keep people from wasting the tank or not using it to the detriment of their team, and the time limit ensures that an extraordinarily shit player won't be able to just run into a room and get lost.

TL DR on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Before I had my acid reflux under control, I could launch thick streams of vomit pretty far. Through my nose too.

Never attracted any zombies, though it can garner a lot of frowns in public.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Man, I hear vomiting through your nose sucks pretty bad. Guess that is your punishment for hating bears.

Vic on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

^5

been at it for a couple days myself. tis the season, or some shit.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

If you have an idea on how to improve the balance of a Valve game, within weeks of it launching, and it seems 'totally obvious to you' then let me just say that you can ASSUME that Valve had the same idea months ago, playtested the shit out of it, and determined that it was in fact not a way to improve the game.

In other words, we should all be meleeing cars as tanks, hiding in unbreakable melee areas as survivors, and explode ourselves as boomers?

Oh wait...

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

In other words, we should all be meleeing cars as tanks, hiding in unbreakable melee areas as survivors, and explode ourselves as boomers?

Oh wait...

Those are all unintentional, however. I think he's referring any intended game play element.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone mentioned the Screamer a few pages (maybe even threads) ago. I was thinking maybe it could have ridiculously low health, and the scream could draw a horde to the Screamer's location and kill it as a sacrifice to get a horde in there. That way you'd have to find an area to either get a horde to lie in wait, or to channel a horde through the survivors to get to you, where they'd prefer to kill survivors over you. The scream would take a certain amount of time to finish, meaning you couldn't just walk up to the survivors and scream; they'd kill you before you did anything.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    On No Mercy 4 when the tank shows up twice I have tried to book it to the safe room only to be greeted by a boomer who immediately vomits on me and then a million fucking zombies come out FROM THE GODDAMN SAFE ROOM. Twice. The second time there was also a hunter to fuck me up. I ragequit because it also happens to be lunch time and I am hungry.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Someone mentioned the Screamer a few pages (maybe even threads) ago. I was thinking maybe it could have ridiculously low health, and the scream could draw a horde to the Screamer's location and kill it as a sacrifice to get a horde in there. That way you'd have to find an area to either get a horde to lie in wait, or to channel a horde through the survivors to get to you, where they'd prefer to kill survivors over you. The scream would take a certain amount of time to finish, meaning you couldn't just walk up to the survivors and scream; they'd kill you before you did anything.

Personally I like the way it works now, as part of the boomer's arsenal. It makes using the boomer correctly a very important part of team tactics.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Personally I like the way it works now, as part of the boomer's arsenal. It makes using the boomer correctly a very important part of team tactics.

Well I understand that was why it was removed in the first place. I just really like the distinction of having them swarm to you rather than an aimed target.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think they really just need a infected that can spew something at a static area, and whoever is in that area will slowly lose health. This could be a deterrent to campers/closet people. They could also make the smoker smoke toxic to stay in, but then I'm afraid it would just be a glorified boomer then.

I have to give it to Valve, it got to be hard to balance everything and keep everyone happy at the same time.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is there a solution to killing the survivors that hide under the ramp on the roof top?

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Is there a solution to killing the survivors that hide under the ramp on the roof top?

Well generally I just throw a molotov at my fee-

oh you mean as an infected

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    does anyone know where the player models are? I wanna play with them in 3ds max..

All the files are in the stea,/steamapps/common/left 4 dead/left4dead directory. You will need the latest version of GCFScape to get the models out of the .vpk archives. Just as a heads up, last time I tried to extract them for Gmod, they had the mdl files, but no textures; the models were invisible.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

haha, funniest moment yesterday was when you as a smoker scratched zoey to death; in the safe room no less

Oy, that was me! As a hunter.

Unless minty managed to do it as well.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

I saw this for the first time last night. It was easy to deal with, because the rest of his team wasn't having any of it, and eventually we downed them and he had to come out.

As frustrating as it is, I still give Valve a lot of credit, because all of these cheap hiding places can be defeated by just playing the waiting game. It takes forever, but eventually they have to come out, and they're usually easier to take down or pick off after theyve been sitting for 5 minutes.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

I saw this for the first time last night. It was easy to deal with, because the rest of his team wasn't having any of it, and eventually we downed them and he had to come out.

As frustrating as it is, I still give Valve a lot of credit, because all of these cheap hiding places can be defeated by just playing the waiting game. It takes forever, but eventually they have to come out, and they're usually easier to take down or pick off after theyve been sitting for 5 minutes.

The only exception to this being the tank, neh? Unless you exploit car smacking. But still, I do agree. Just wait the survivors out. This is a good plan.

Rend on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »

In other words it was easy to deal with when they weren't really doing it. When they camp under the ramp you get exactly one chance to kill them all at once, and that's when they run for the chopper, which is right there. That's not fair no matter how you look at it. The real problem with it compared to closets is that it's tank-immune thanks to the long distance it covers.

Zek on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, I assumed the tank timer was just to keep people from wasting the tank or not using it to the detriment of their team, and the time limit ensures that an extraordinarily shit player won't be able to just run into a room and get lost.

In commentary they said the timer was to prevent the tank from camping the survivors and force him to attack.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425