mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    marty wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »
    I think if a hunter or zombie special gets a punch in on a survivor they should stagger back, as opposed to the "HURFADURF RIGHT CLICK" mode it is now, where even if you get the jump/surprise and get two slashes in, its negated by the hurfadurfery.

Well if your close to someone who gets pounced by a hunter, you do stagger back from recoil, which kinda helps the hunter, but not for long.

Not pounce, just the normal scratch attack. The hunter is a superfuckinghuman zombie that can launch from a hundred feet away, yet is merely pushed aside by a superficial weapon tilt. The scratch should startle any survivor.

That would, quite frankly, be massively overpowered.

On a one to one basis, perhaps. But if you were moronic enough to run off alone, then you would deserve it. But introduce another survivor in, and its not nearly as different as before. *gets meleed from behind*

Let me just lay some truths on you.

If you have an idea on how to improve the balance of a Valve game, within weeks of it launching, and it seems 'totally obvious to you' then let me just say that you can ASSUME that Valve had the same idea months ago, playtested the shit out of it, and determined that it was in fact not a way to improve the game.

In other words, we should all be meleeing cars as tanks, hiding in unbreakable melee areas as survivors, and explode ourselves as boomers?

Oh wait...

I personally dont even see Tanks meleeing cars as a problem that should be corrected. You're a giant TANK, of course you should be able to toss cars around. Force the Tank into an area with no cars. Its usually always possible. If he's coming and you're in the alley, backtrack, use the corners and chuck a molotov. If you're already out on the roads, theres that whole building right in the middle. Half the fun of No Mercy Apartments for me is getting to that alley, and making a mad dash for the road - just so if a tank shows up I'm halfway between both safer areas and can pick which one to bolt for.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, I assumed the tank timer was just to keep people from wasting the tank or not using it to the detriment of their team, and the time limit ensures that an extraordinarily shit player won't be able to just run into a room and get lost.

In commentary they said the timer was to prevent the tank from camping the survivors and force him to attack.

This is true. The tank is predicated upon two concepts:

1. It is different from other zombies in that it is not easy to kill, unlike the rest of the game's opponents.
    2. The survivors should be able to engage the tank on their terms due to the danger the tank presents.

They actually mentioned specifically that they wanted the tank not to be able to hold choke points, because that would not be tank-like, and the control meter is designed to influence players to go on the offensive.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think if a hunter or zombie special gets a punch in on a survivor they should stagger back, as opposed to the "HURFADURF RIGHT CLICK" mode it is now, where even if you get the jump/surprise and get two slashes in, its negated by the hurfadurfery.

Well if your close to someone who gets pounced by a hunter, you do stagger back from recoil, which kinda helps the hunter, but not for long.

Not pounce, just the normal scratch attack. The hunter is a superfuckinghuman zombie that can launch from a hundred feet away, yet is merely pushed aside by a superficial weapon tilt. The scratch should startle any survivor.

On a one to one basis, perhaps. But if you were moronic enough to run off alone, then you would deserve it. But introduce another survivor in, and its not nearly as different as before. *gets meleed from behind*

If you have an idea on how to improve the balance of a Valve game, within weeks of it launching, and it seems 'totally obvious to you' then let me just say that you can ASSUME that Valve had the same idea months ago, playtested the shit out of it, and determined that it was in fact not a way to improve the game.

In other words, we should all be meleeing cars as tanks, hiding in unbreakable melee areas as survivors, and explode ourselves as boomers?

Oh wait...

I personally dont even see Tanks meleeing cars as a problem that should be corrected. You're a giant TANK, of course you should be able to toss cars around. Force the Tank into an area with no cars. Its usually always possible. If he's coming and you're in the alley, backtrack, use the corners and chuck a molotov. If you're already out on the roads, theres that whole building right in the middle. Half the fun of No Mercy Apartments for me is getting to that alley, and making a mad dash for the road - just so if a tank shows up I'm halfway between both safer areas and can pick which one to bolt for.

I think he's talking about the fact that meleeing a car recharges the tank's control meter, which allows him to wait for survivors to advance, rather than chase him down, for instance, waiting atop the ladder in no mercy 3 meleeing cars until the survivors ascend.

Rend on
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    Also, I assumed the tank timer was just to keep people from wasting the tank or not using it to the detriment of their team, and the time limit ensures that an extraordinarily shit player won't be able to just run into a room and get lost.

In commentary they said the timer was to prevent the tank from camping the survivors and force him to attack.

1. It is different from other zombies in that it is not easy to kill, unlike the rest of the game's opponents.
    2. The survivors should be able to engage the tank on their terms due to the danger the tank presents.

They actually mentioned specifically that they wanted the tank not to be able to hold choke points, because that would not be tank-like, and the control meter is designed to influence players to go on the offensive.

They should bump the tank up to Expert or Advance settings on VS.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think expert would be a bit too powerful, and I've never played on advanced, so I wouldn't know.

Rend on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »

They really shouldn't

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Oh wait...

I think he's talking about the fact that meleeing a car recharges the tank's control meter, which allows him to wait for survivors to advance, rather than chase him down, for instance, waiting atop the ladder in no mercy 3 meleeing cars until the survivors ascend.

Ah, didn't even know that was possible. In that case, yes, that's cheap.

I just know when I threw a car down the alley last night, killing all for members of the other team, I got called a 'cheater', and it bothered me because its totally legit and avoidable as long as youre paying attention to whats going on.

Speaking of cheating - is it possible to have 3 hunters on an infected team? I didnt want to accuse the guys we were playing of cheating, but they were kicking our asses and at one point I saw two hunters tearing up my team mates. I ran to get them, and I get pounced on by a 3rd, ending the round. I was told it sometimes randomly happens if the spawn times line up right, but it seemed awful suspicious when coupled with how badly they were beating us (and some really odd behavior in the pre-game lobby).

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Oh wait...

Ah, didn't even know that was possible. In that case, yes, that's cheap.

I just know when I threw a car down the alley last night, killing all for members of the other team, I got called a 'cheater', and it bothered me because its totally legit and avoidable as long as youre paying attention to whats going on.

Speaking of cheating - is it possible to have 3 hunters on an infected team? I didnt want to accuse the guys we were playing of cheating, but they were kicking our asses and at one point I saw two hunters tearing up my team mates. I ran to get them, and I get pounced on by a 3rd, ending the round. I was told it sometimes randomly happens if the spawn times line up right, but it seemed awful suspicious when coupled with how badly they were beating us (and some really odd behavior in the pre-game lobby).

I don't think its a bug. We had it happen plenty of time when we were playing. Its possible the AID has to let the steam off of the boomer or smoker if someone just died as them and someone is getting near the end of the spawn timer.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3 hunters is legit.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Speaking of exploits, there's a pretty cool one for people who have ultra wide screen resolutions. :winky:

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    as a tank I don't feel forced to do anything by survivors as long as there are cars or forklifts or treelogs around. I just punch them about or punch them into the survivors, especially hilarious if the cars have alarms on them. Also before the patch you could fill the gaps of places with cars and the survivors could literally do nothing, it was so stupid.

so yeah they should remove punching a car recharging the bar.

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »

They really shouldn't

They should bump the witch up to expert.

Sonar wrote: »
    Speaking of exploits, there's a pretty cool one for people who have ultra wide screen resolutions. :winky:

i don't get it...

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    greeble wrote: »
    Is there a solution to killing the survivors that hide under the ramp on the roof top?

I saw this for the first time last night. It was easy to deal with, because the rest of his team wasn't having any of it, and eventually we downed them and he had to come out.

As frustrating as it is, I still give Valve a lot of credit, because all of these cheap hiding places can be defeated by just playing the waiting game. It takes forever, but eventually they have to come out, and they're usually easier to take down or pick off after theyve been sitting for 5 minutes.

The only exception to this being the tank, neh? Unless you exploit car smacking. But still, I do agree. Just wait the survivors out. This is a good plan.

I thought the tank can hit them from the side.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Is there a solution to killing the survivors that hide under the ramp on the roof top?

I saw this for the first time last night. It was easy to deal with, because the rest of his team wasn't having any of it, and eventually we downed them and he had to come out.

As frustrating as it is, I still give Valve a lot of credit, because all of these cheap hiding places can be defeated by just playing the waiting game. It takes forever, but eventually they have to come out, and they're usually easier to take down or pick off after theyve been sitting for 5 minutes.

The only exception to this being the tank, neh? Unless you exploit car smacking. But still, I do agree. Just wait the survivors out. This is a good plan.

Yeah, but:

Tank on normal difficulty VS. 4 automatic shotguns!
    the tank gets 1 or 2 hits, max, before he's down, and that's if he's all up in their collective grills.

Rend on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I know from experience that when the AI takes over the Tank after two people lose control of him, he does not attack untill he has view of the survivors. Couple with the fact that people have cried exploit against a team that just hides the second tank on the finale so the helicopter never comes and you have this strategy to defeating ramp campers.

What is stopping the person playing the tank on a No Mercy finale vs ramp campers from just running away and hiding yourself? Make them come out of their hiding place and get raped by your friends when they split up to look for you.

Buddies on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yes, but the four survivors there with auto shotguns can kill the tank in under four seconds if he approaches to do that. The tank can also run around the end and come under the ramp with him, but the survivors have to be blind, deaf, and dumb to let the tank live long enough to do any damage in there. Plus, even if they were, the tank can only hit one person at a time anyway, and you know how long it takes a tank to kill a green survivor.

The problem with removing the car smacking entirely is that Valve WANTS the tank to hit cars and logs and bales to attack. In some places (BH Finale, I'm looking at you) it's almost always the only effective strategy the Tank has. I'm sure Valve will come up with something, but it sounds tricky to fix.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tanks in Versus actually have more health than those in Normal.

The numbers are 3000/4000/8000/8000 / 6000 for Easy/Normal/Advanced/Expert / Versus.

From this bafflingly helpful thread in the Steam forums.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Tanks in Versus actually have more health than those in Normal.

The numbers are 3000/4000/8000/8000 / 6000 for Easy/Normal/Advanced/Expert / Versus.

From this bafflingly helpful thread in the Steam forums.

another baffling help thread on the Steam forums

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    According to that thread, 5 seconds of semi-accurate autoshottie fire from all 4 survivors will leave the tank down, with an entire couple seconds of room for error.

Rend on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Are you serious? Man... I was playing Advanced last night and I'm certain it took more than 20 minutes to kill that son of a bitch on the finale.

urahonky on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Advanced is for sissies.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Advanced is for sissies.

So is your <insert most loved one here>.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    My math:

12 pellets @ 24 dmg/pellet = 12*24= max 288 dmg per shot.
    Semi-accurate = hit with 6/12 pellets: 6*24 = 144
    Shots per second = 200/60 = 3.33, round down to 3.
    3 shots per second at 144 damage/shot = 144*3= 432 dps for a semi-accurate shot.
    number of seconds to down it = 8000/432 = 18.5 seconds
    18.5 / 4 for all 4 survivors shooting = 4.625 seconds.

If a survivor is hit by the tank the time will go up, but not by much.
    If any survivors hit with more than 6 pellets in one shot the time will go down. The minimum time to defeat the tank with this math is 2.5 seconds, with all 4 survivors laying into him at point blank hitting with all 12 pellets. With near perfect accuracy (10 hits per shot) it will be around 720 dps, taking about 11 seconds, meaning four survivors can do it in 2.7 seconds instead of 2.5.

So theoretically, if four autoshottie survivors sit and wait, gunline, for the tank only moving to dodge a homing rock, they could probably kill him before the tank reached them. On expert.

[EDIT] This math assumes that between the tank will be hit by less than 6 pellets per shot at the max range survivors begin to fire, but that the number of pellets per shot will increase well past six as the tank closes. Thus, i consider 6 pellets per shot average a conservative estimate. Also, this does not count reloading times. If all shots are semi-accurate it takes 55 rounds to kill the tank, which means the survivors will have to reload. However, if they wait until they can be very accurate (10 hits per shot, I assume this can be reached when he is at scare distance), it only takes 33 rounds to kill the tank, meaning if a survivor gets hit, but manages 5 rounds (1.5 seconds of firing) before the tank incapacitates them, the survivors will have room to miss the tank completely twice before the need to reload even 1 round happens. This does not take into effect the incapacitated member's pistol damage.

Rend on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sadly, things rarely go so well.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    How much damage does the Hunting Rifle do? I tend to prefer that gun over the autoshottie now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I want to test the theory. Go get a bunch of autoshotties and spawn a tank. What's the console command for that?

Rend on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    How much damage does the Hunting Rifle do? I tend to prefer that gun over the autoshottie now.

I'm a huge fan of the hunting rifle as well. It's foolhardy to have more than one survivor carrying it, but it really helps a great deal to have someone using it. Special Infected lurking in the wings are easily dispatched, fellow survivors who have been pounced or tongued are easily saved, and the hunting rifle rivals the autoshotgun for horde control when you're in a situation where the zombies are rushing you down a hallway, alleyway, or something similar.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

I'm a huge fan of the hunting rifle as well. It's foolhardy to have more than one survivor carrying it, but it really helps a great deal to have someone using it. Special Infected lurking in the wings are easily dispatched, fellow survivors who have been pounced or tongued are easily saved, and the hunting rifle rivals the autoshotgun for horde control when you're in a situation where the zombies are rushing you down a hallway, alleyway, or something similar.

Definitely. I love the hunting rifle-- A skilled person can sweep a horde to the bones with it, and it almost never runs out of ammunition.

Rend on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Oh wait...

Question: Has anyone tried, as the tank, hitting a car over the manhole in this spot, to keep survivors from ascending the ladder?

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

Exactly. And it's got a much shorter reload time. My problem with the auto shotgun is that I always hit everyone on my team with it because I get really gung-ho about killing zombies. With the Hunting Rifle I am much less likely to hit anyone.

Plus clearing a path from a distance is really useful, and getting those Boomers from across the map never gets old.

urahonky on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Having someone in the group who is a good shot with the hunting rifle helps so much on expert.

Slicer on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I want to test the theory. Go get a bunch of autoshotties and spawn a tank. What's the console command for that?

z_spawn tank

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I stick with the AR. Headshotting a whole horde, reloading and repeating is satisfying. It's fun. So, yeah. Fun outweighs mathematical efficiency.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    More math:

A party full of hunting rifles takes 9 seconds to kill a tank with perfect accuracy (need a 3s reload), and to extrapolate, 18 seconds to kill a tank with half accuracy.

A party full of assault rifles will take 24 seconds of perfectly accurate shooting to kill a tank (this includes a reload). Almost 50 seconds is required with half accuracy, meaning the tank will burn to death faster than a team running and firing assault rifles can kill it. At expert (3/4 accuracy) it will still take 36-38 seconds, which is only 2 seconds shy of a tank's death timer whilst on fire.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I love the hunting rifle since I started reading this thread.

By far the coolest thing is playing in a public game, when no one knows my hunting rifle prowess, and firing into the breakable wall at the beginning of no mercy, then hearing a boomer explode. I've wowed many a team mate with its shooting through walls ability.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So.....quiet tonight

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hunting rifle is great for hordes and special zombies most of the time, but for situations like the tank and the witch I find it just doesn't do enough damage. Granted, a decent team will avoid the witch and just let the tank burn to death, but I'm always with retards that want to take the tank on and try to kill the witch by themselves.

Remington on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hunting rifle is awesome.

Even more awesome if you're Zoey with the hunting rifle.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I stick with the AR. Headshotting a whole horde, reloading and repeating is satisfying. It's fun. So, yeah. Fun outweighs mathematical efficiency.

This would be my weapon of choice. Using the hunting rifle is a bit awkward for me now, with only a 3-button mouse. I'll probably consider picking up a new one sometime after Christmas.

guar on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Remington why don't you play with the PA crew? =(

Also, as amazing as the hunting rifle is, my ping doesn't really allow for it much of the time. Sadness. Shots will hit and just simply do no damage and yeah.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png