Options

Thread Left 4 Dead; make a new Dead Thread 4 Dead

• Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wait, why are people talking about Left4Dead? I thought this was the team fortress thread. Who is confused, me or everyone else?

Food on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Food wrote: »
    Wait, why are people talking about Left4Dead? I thought this was the team fortress thread. Who is confused, me or everyone else?

Welcome to last week.

The pistols only achievment, can you use duelies?

Tommatt on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Tommatt wrote: »
    Food wrote: »

Welcome to last week.

The pistols only achievment, can you use duelies?

Yeah, that's why it's called Akimbo Assassin.

Remington on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Alright, it's time to take a break from Versus. Who among you is man enough to complete the expert campaigns with me?

Zek on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still need one of them (not sure which) so count me in.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Alright, it's time to take a break from Versus. Who among you is man enough to complete the expert campaigns with me?

As long as you fuckers don't drop at the last minute.

guar on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still need dead air and blood harvest.

Rend on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We begin with No Mercy, join my lobby now if you're pro

Zek on
  • Options
    Sol InvictusSol Invictus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Your guide to getting certain achievements easily:

1. If you want the achievement where you use no healthpacks at all, but get incapp'd mysteriously and against your will, all you have to do is get a health pack, go idle, let the bot heal, then come back. Voila! You still get the achievement! This was proved by the 3rd law of Roland, on the 13th of December.

2. If you want to get through a finale without taking any damage, easy is the way to go, but good friggin luck. There are many very small variables that make this extremely difficult. You take no damage from Friendly Fire, so it looks like you've taken no damage at all, but this is a lie, I'm pretty sure that is what made us fail today, as proved by the 6th law of c r y o h a z a r d, on the 13th of December.

3. If you want to get through a campaign with no incaps, be friggin aware of ladders. A slight mis-step, and you'll fall 5 feet, getting incap'd. This has been proved by the 2nd law of Roland, on the 13th of December.

4. For pistols only, just turn it on easy, and go with others who already have it, they can use weapons, so just hang behind them. If a tank comes, let them deal with it. No problem. This was proved by the 1st law of Icemopper, on the 13th of December.

Achievements suck.
    I only do achievements on Expert.

Is it true pistols only won't be valid if you die and respawn with a primary?

You won't respawn with a primary weapon. You'll respawn with pistols.

Now, any hints on how we can get Untouchables?

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

No you are incorrect. If you die and you're saved out of a closet, you spawn with an Uzi everytime.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

No you are incorrect. If you die and you're saved out of a closet, you spawn with an Uzi everytime.

no you are incorrect. I got Akimbo Assassin a couple of days ago--I never picked up a primary, and every time I respawned in a closet I only had one pistol. It didn't spawn me with a primary.

Also I threw hella molotovs and pipebombs and I still got the achievement.

Captain K on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Captain K wrote: »

no you are incorrect. I got Akimbo Assassin a couple of days ago--I never picked up a primary, and every time I respawned in a closet I only had one pistol. It didn't spawn me with a primary.

Hmm, weird because you can spawn with an uzi. Perhaps it tracks how long you have been using the pistol so it doesn't spawn you with an uzi?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Or shotgun. But i assume you never use the t1 shotgun.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so sometimes it does spawn you with a primary even if you didn't have one, and sometimes it doesn't?

I've never had it spawn me with a primary when I wasn't carrying one before (I've tried for pistols only a few different times).

Captain K on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

Well then we're both correct cause I've spawned with an Uzi before.

Only reason I don't use T1 shotgun is cause I always play Louis, and well he rolls with the uzi.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so sometimes it does spawn you with a primary even if you didn't have one, and sometimes it doesn't?

I've never had it spawn me with a primary when I wasn't carrying one before (I've tried for pistols only a few different times).

Nah, it might spawn you with a primary when you had one previously and otherwise it doesn't. I assume those going for AA don't pick up any primaries, so they don't respawn with one.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You don't respawn with a primary unless you picked one up at the beginning. I died a couple of times while attempting my Akimbo Assassin in Advanced and it never spawned me with one.

By the way, here's the complete infected and weapon damage statistics for Left 4 Dead if anyone's interested.

Those autoshotguns are made of pure ultimate power, except in easy mode, where the M4 rules all since nothing has health anyway.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You don't respawn with a primary unless you picked one up at the beginning. I died a couple of times while attempting my Akimbo Assassin in Advanced and it never spawned me with one.

By the way, here's the complete infected and weapon damage statistics for Left 4 Dead if anyone's interested.

Those autoshotguns are made of pure ultimate power, except in easy mode, where the M4 rules all since nothing has health anyway.

I love how dual pistols are better than an uzi.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah, the uzi's pretty much a joke once you get your second pistol. Unless you're lazy and love holding your mouse button down, the dual pistols will always be the weapon of choice for the superior player who wants a bit of accuracy before the second tier weapons become available.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone else had their achievements reset? I've completed No Mercy on expert, but the expert campaign tracker is back at 0

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Yeah, the uzi's pretty much a joke once you get your second pistol. Unless you're lazy and love holding your mouse button down, the dual pistols will always be the weapon of choice for the superior player who wants a bit of accuracy before the second tier weapons become available.

I'm lazy so I use a script so I can hold the mouse button down and empty the duals. :lol:

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I'm lazy so I use a script so I can hold the mouse button down and empty the duals. :lol:

Weeeaaaaaaak.

p.s. share it.

Sol Invictus on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Anyone else had their achievements reset? I've completed No Mercy on expert, but the expert campaign tracker is back at 0
    Happened to me the second day after release.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Weeeaaaaaaak.

p.s. share it.

This script was posted in the last thread, and was found on fpsbanana I think.

This is a toggle script so you will need to replace mouse5 with the key of your choice to turn it on and off. When it's turned on you can hold down your fire button and it will cause your weapon to repeatedly fire. I have this in an autoexec.cfg file found in \steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead\left4dead\cfg

It works very good with dual pistols, but there is no faster rate of fire with a single pistol. With the dual pistols in a hallway or chokepoint, you can stop an attacking horde about as easily as with an uzi. Holding the button empties the clips real fast, but it also really screws up long distance accuracy.

Using the script doesn't interfere (much) with any of the primary guns. I've never noticed anything with the hunting rifle but every once in a while the uzi or assault rifle will burst 4-5 shots rather than a constant stream if you hold the button. It doesn't mess with the pump shotgun, but sometimes the autoshotty will double burst real quickly.

The biggest downside of this script is that there is no visual indicator of it's on/off state. Healthpacks can't be used when the script is on because you just start and restart healing, and when playing infected, you'll want to have this turned off.

// AutoPistol Toggle
    // original autopistol function credit to ESSOBIE
    alias _apistolOFF "bind mouse1 +attack"
    alias _apistolON "bind mouse1 +apistol"

alias _autooff "_apistolOFF"
    alias _autoon "_apistolON"

alias +apistol "alias repeat_function +repeat; +repeat"
    alias -apistol "alias repeat_function stoprepeating"
    alias repeat_function "+repeat"
    alias +repeat "+attack; wait 2; -repeat"
    alias -repeat "-attack; wait 2; repeat_function"

//loop toggle autofire
    alias _toggle_AP autopistolON
    alias autopistolON "_autooff; alias _toggle_AP autopistolOFF"
    alias autopistolOFF "_autoon; alias _toggle_AP autopistolON"
    bind mouse5 _toggle_AP
    autopistolON

If someone knows how, I would really like this script to operate a bit differently. It would be perfect if pressing the 2 key turned it on and any other number key turned it off.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've noticed the autoshotty seeming to double up as well. I don't think it actually doublefires though.

Also, sometimes I'll try to reload and my gun will just sit there without a reload animation, then I get my ammo. Odd visual glitch.

TL DR on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've noticed the autoshotty seeming to double up as well. I don't think it actually doublefires though.

Also, sometimes I'll try to reload and my gun will just sit there without a reload animation, then I get my ammo. Odd visual glitch.

I've had both of these happen to me on the 360 version.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sol, Mustachio, and myself, and a friend had the best VS experience.

I cant elaborate ATM because I'm lazy.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »

Did you live up to your name in the most amazing way, like I did tonight?

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    expendable wrote: »

That was glorious, man, simply glorious.

We're on the finale of No Mercy, fighting the second tank. He's on fire, so the three of us are running around, letting it burn to death. Expendable runs a different way, the tank is chasing him, and he gets punted off the roof. I wave a tearful goodbye, the tank burns to death, and the three of us jump on the chopper.

As it's flying away, Sean Connery says "Well, Expendable... well, you certainly lived up to your name, didn't you?"

Fantastic =)

Those two games of Versus were my favorite, I think. For certain the Blood Harvest was the best I've ever done. Flying leap from the pinnacle of the barn onto Zoey for 21 damage isn't the biggest pounce I've ever had, but it was certainly the prettiest. For one thing, it wasn't straight down, hehe.

There's something very fulfilling about throwing rocks as the tank from the front yard at the survivors who are all waiting in the back yard with autoshotguns. I think I knocked Louis down twice and deterred people from helping him up with about a dozen rock throws, hehe. And once they finally retreated back in the house, only to be boomered, it was all over.

Rius on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I love going for "long bomb" leaps on Blood Harvest. It's so hard to do in No Mercy (except, I suppose, in the gas-station courtyard where the rising cart thingie is).

Some advice/pleading to newbie boomers:
    - Vomit is tricky to get right, but aim ABOVE the survivors. It will arc, you'll get better range, and a better chance of hitting them.
    - Don't rely on your vomit to coat the survivors, try to be in a position where they shoot you and the explosion covers them. THEN vomit, for good measure.
    - DON'T SPAWN BEFORE YOU HAVE TO. Seriously, you make all kinds of awful noises and the survivors will hunt you down. Bullets penetrate walls, and survivors will randomly shoot through walls to catch your fat ass. Stay in spawnmode, hide behind a beam or something, and when they pass, spawn, jump out behind them, and vomit.

Imperfect on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    seriously, being a good boomer is mostly about abusing the hell out of line of sights. If you spawn literally half a second away from the survivors, you can almost always get one, and usually get 2-3.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

I got Akimbo Assassin last night. I've been picking up weapons left and right and even accidentally melee'd a zombie with a hunting rifle, though I forget if I killed it. Cocktails and Pipebombs aside, the only weapon I -ever- shot was the pistols and dual pistols.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    seriously, being a good boomer is mostly about abusing the hell out of line of sights. If you spawn literally half a second away from the survivors, you can almost always get one, and usually get 2-3.

I love "hiding" behind the 6 inch thick trees and spawning 10 ft away from the survivors.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rius wrote: »
    expendable wrote: »

That was glorious, man, simply glorious.

We're on the finale of No Mercy, fighting the second tank. He's on fire, so the three of us are running around, letting it burn to death. Expendable runs a different way, the tank is chasing him, and he gets punted off the roof. I wave a tearful goodbye, the tank burns to death, and the three of us jump on the chopper.

As it's flying away, Sean Connery says "Well, Expendable... well, you certainly lived up to your name, didn't you?"

Fantastic =)

Those two games of Versus were my favorite, I think. For certain the Blood Harvest was the best I've ever done. Flying leap from the pinnacle of the barn onto Zoey for 21 damage isn't the biggest pounce I've ever had, but it was certainly the prettiest. For one thing, it wasn't straight down, hehe.

There's something very fulfilling about throwing rocks as the tank from the front yard at the survivors who are all waiting in the back yard with autoshotguns. I think I knocked Louis down twice and deterred people from helping him up with about a dozen rock throws, hehe. And once they finally retreated back in the house, only to be boomered, it was all over.

Not only did I run a different way, but once I realized it was chasing me, my last act was to run to the lowest level of the roof on the corner furthest from you. I just barely made it there before he cashed in my final frequent flier miles for me.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so I just played vs on a server where a tank spawned within the first five minutes of a map EVERY TIME

it was amazingly fun, to be honest. then the server crashed, and there was little fun left to be had.

Senshi on
  • Options
    BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I've decided I really hate random people. What do I need to do to be invited to the Steam community or whatever so I can get in a game with people who don't type "lol diks fagts im raping u" before Leroy Jenkins-ing?

edit My Steam ID is SchwarzeKrieg

Blakout on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Does anyone want to play RIGHT NOW

tofu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    JUST FINISHED, so nope.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    God 2h 45min on one expert campaign. I think my eyes are going to explode. And I didn't even make it to the end alive goddamnit.

sonictk on