Options

Thread Left 4 Dead; make a new Dead Thread 4 Dead

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    expendable wrote: »
    There are some places that are decent melee pile areas, like the weapons pile in Blood Harvest's finale house. But that is by no means an unstoppable location. Usually 2-3 survivors are piled in the corner and one's on the table, or all 4 are in the corner. Simplest solution to this, as infected, is have your boomer go in the front door, quick turn the corner and vomit. Best case scenario, you get all 4 survivors blinded, possibly stunned. Worst case scenario, you get 2-3 survivors blinded and not stunned. At that point your hunters run in and right-click melee swipe. I think a lot of people don't realize hunter melee does 10 damage and hits everyone your claw does... so if 4 people are stacked in a corner, one swipe does 40 damage total.

Boomers are unnoticeable during this finale. I know because I've been barfed on multiple times and couldn't tell the difference. Hunters won't get close enough to swipe because of melee spam. Corner whoring is, as far as I'm concerned, a strategy that can't be easily undone, even if a crappy team does it.

There is a key word here. Do you see it?
    Corner whoring is, as far as I'm concerned, a strategy that can't be easily undone, even if a crappy team does it.

I've narrowed it down a bit.
    Corner whoring is, as far as I'm concerned, a strategy that can't be easily undone, even if a crappy team does it.

It can be done, it's just not easy. So you're complaining that corners make the game too hard.

So I'm going to point out, again, that the Survivors have to leave the corner at some point. So if you can't get them out on your own, wait and set up someplace else.

Also, to the earlier quote, the upstairs bathroom and the laundry room don't exist in the BH finale on versus. Personally, I hate using the bathroom, because when the tank shows up, everybody usually gets boomered on the way out of said bathroom.

You don't have to be a dick, you know. We're civil people having a civil discussion. And yes, I know what I said. I wrote it.

It shouldn't be "easily undone," but it shouldn't be a "Well, shit. They're in the corner. Let's go somewhere else and wait." And in co-op, it removes all tension from the game and that's sort of important. You don't have to do it, but it should be slightly less idiot-proof than it is now. The rest of the game relies on attentive players working together, but corner whoring is four people sitting in a corner shooting and pushing. There isn't any teamwork inherently involved.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    We did that, Sol, Mustchasio, ( a friend of mine) and I.

We lost.
    Well thar ya go, that's why you lost ;3

Also the laundry room for BH is the best spot to fight off hordes.

I will never tell you my secret for defeating the tank. With this method we beat Blood Harvest with no retries @ 1 hr and 10 minutes.

Only my bestest penis pals know about this ancient chinese secret.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm sure this has been posted before. But some of these are good, and this one needs to go in the next OP.

Thug4Dead.jpg

Drool on
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    SprkFade wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Went from 180 to 178 last night after trying the game and having really bad stuttering problems.

178 seems to have fixed it.

No idea if anyone is still having this problem, but disabling Multicore Rendering in the options fixes the stuttering/lockup problems even while using the 180 drivers.

Didnt for me sadly. Still getting lockups, using Ati 8.12 :(

Here's a few other solutions, hopefully one of these will work for you:

Try typing "mat_queue_mode 0" (minus the quotes) in the console.

Try setting Shader Detail to Medium. (graphics setting).

Try setting sound quality to medium.

1) Start the game
    2) Alt-Tab to the desktop. <Or press the windows key>
    3) Bring up the task manager < Ctrl-Alt-Del>
    4) Click the Processes Tab
    5) Click Image Name at the top of the list of Processes to Order by name.
    6) Find left4dead.exe and right click on it
    7) Select 'Set Affinity'
    8) Uncheck boxes Leaving only one box checked and click okay.

Are those settings (to medium) from high? Since I know my computer is <<minimum requirements the first thing I did was set everything to low. Would bumping up to medium fix this occasional lag I have?

Reagan on
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Reagan wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »
    Went from 180 to 178 last night after trying the game and having really bad stuttering problems.

178 seems to have fixed it.

No idea if anyone is still having this problem, but disabling Multicore Rendering in the options fixes the stuttering/lockup problems even while using the 180 drivers.

Didnt for me sadly. Still getting lockups, using Ati 8.12 :(

Here's a few other solutions, hopefully one of these will work for you:

Try typing "mat_queue_mode 0" (minus the quotes) in the console.

Try setting Shader Detail to Medium. (graphics setting).

Try setting sound quality to medium.

1) Start the game
    2) Alt-Tab to the desktop. <Or press the windows key>
    3) Bring up the task manager < Ctrl-Alt-Del>
    4) Click the Processes Tab
    5) Click Image Name at the top of the list of Processes to Order by name.
    6) Find left4dead.exe and right click on it
    7) Select 'Set Affinity'
    8) Uncheck boxes Leaving only one box checked and click okay.

Are those settings (to medium) from high? Since I know my computer is <<minimum requirements the first thing I did was set everything to low. Would bumping up to medium fix this occasional lag I have?

Ive done the mat_queue thing, works better but eventually crashes. Will try the affinity set next time.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Yeah, well if you're playing against guys from Armadeaddon, precious few will sink so low as to use it. And why would you be playing against pubbies anyhow?

Here, this should brighten your day.
    That's exquisite

L.O. Fucking L.

Someone should remake the video below, only instead of "where's my pants" tank says "what happened to my networth?" or "fucking Bernard Madoff!"

Reagan on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I asked it but dont know where the answer went... why dont all of the servers in the OP show under the Steam Group servers in the game?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I asked it but dont know where the answer went... why dont all of the servers in the OP show under the Steam Group servers in the game?

I don't think there was an answer. I messed around with mine for an hour and couldn't figure out even a possible answer. Mine shows up, even if it does take a few seconds more than the others.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't get how upset people are in Vs.

Each team has a chance at survivors, so unless you play it mostly straight and the next guys use the helipad ramp or something, you each were able to melee closet or whatever. Infected are plenty good, you just have to know when to strike.

TL DR on
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I played some guys that tried to use the ramp trick... but they were too scared to come out during a tank. Big mistake.

Remington on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From the ramp area 4 autoshotguns should take out a tank quickly...unless they sucked :P

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Had a good expert Dead Air campaign today with Flippy, SirToons and Marty. The highlight was probably limping to the safe room on Dead Air 3 with three of us alive, I had 50hp after just spawning in a closet and both Flippy and Toons were nigh on dead. We're on the sky bridge, kill a hunter, smoker and a boomer as he tries to go into the door just before the safe room and I walk up to it about to go into the tale of when a team of mine who were all nearly dead had a witch in there once and when I turn to look into the room. Tank! Second tank of the level, in fact. I got into the safe room and waited until that bastard went away. The AI Directer really disliked us.

The other highlight was Flippy's rampant TKing. Even his bot when he was idle took it up.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    From the ramp area 4 autoshotguns should take out a tank quickly...unless they sucked :P

Man, I dont know what happened, then, because they got ruined.

Remington on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Meta, Beef Avenger, and some random person and I wrecked the shit out of Bemis and his crew. Oh the zomb-manity!

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I punched Koga into a window and he shot out at mach 3 and hit the shed. We killed his team because I guess they were all confused.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So here's a thought on the Smoker tongue. What if it was 2 melee hits to knock it loose instead of 1? Doesn't sound like such a big deal but think about any time you've tried to grab someone out of a boomered group. What happens? Instant melee break. Two hits would be enough that they would at least be pulled a bit away from the group, thus forcing someone else to leave the group to free them. Bit more seperation that way, but nothing that makes the Smoker unbalanced.

Thoughts?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think that if the smokers tounge did like 2 damage a second after grabbing someone (only in VS) then that'd even be acceptable.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Reagan wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Yeah, well if you're playing against guys from Armadeaddon, precious few will sink so low as to use it. And why would you be playing against pubbies anyhow?

Here, this should brighten your day.
    That's exquisite

L.O. Fucking L.

Someone should remake the video below, only instead of "where's my pants" tank says "what happened to my networth?" or "fucking Bernard Madoff!"

I downloaded this and can completely say this is a 100% must have for all people playing L4D

It's so fucking hilarious and works perfectly

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey survivors. You see that forklift? Okay. Now go hide behind it.

BLAM three incapped survivors. I fucking love the tank.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was hiding behind the spools and it is bullshit that it hit me =P

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My only gripe with the tank is that his melee doesn't connect more than 3/4ths of the time. In all likelihood that's mostly my ping, but it still pisses me off so goddamned much when the one or two hits that would change the game just don't register.

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't get how upset people are in Vs.

Each team has a chance at survivors, so unless you play it mostly straight and the next guys use the helipad ramp or something, you each were able to melee closet or whatever. Infected are plenty good, you just have to know when to strike.

But what if your team goes first, you don't use the ramp/closet and then the NEXT team does? Raaage?

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So supposedly my bot just made it through the entire finale of Death Air on expert with racoon, bigwah and raoul duke. I don't know if this says more about my bot being so badass or them.

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So are there any custom servers or options or anything to let me ONLY play infected in VS. :?:

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I bet they were all boomer'd, constricted, pounced, and surrounded by common Infected. And on fire. And your bot melee'd the tank to death. Both times.
    So are there any custom servers or options or anything to let me ONLY play infected in VS. :?:

Switch teams at the start of every map?

guar on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Here's a tip. If it's the end of the map and you're a boomer, don't make yourself explode. You just might press the key the moment it switches you to the survivors for the next round.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    guar wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever been in a game that's not full.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

If you load faster than others you can do it.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    guarguar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

It was my understanding that you could swap regardless, i.e. before someone on the other team loads into the game.

guar on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I downloaded this and can completely say this is a 100% must have for all people playing L4D

It's so fucking hilarious and works perfectly
    This is the gayest gay I've ever seen.

Seriously, not even funny.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Different strokes for different folks Rakuen. I think it is an excellent addition to the game and helps tone down just how fucking frustrating tanks can be (from either side).

WhiteZinfandel on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    OMGI
    Just played the best game of Blood Harvest EVERZ
    On the finale we killed the first tank and then we sat there for awhile waiting for the next one to spawn and we hear the music for the tank. After about 20 seconds the infected start chatting and saying oh I guess the survivors don't get a tank and we were all anticipating an attempt to lure us out. But then after about 5 minutes we'd realized we'd killed each of them once and that there was no tank. And thus no rescue. Just like a zombie movie where the rescue never makes it.

We eventually ran out and started killing stuff when unable to cope I went insane and shot Zoeyin the face.
    Hence it being the best game ever

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nice try guys, we made a good run of Death Toll, and it was fun throughout.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    We were so close, alas the lack of sleep resulted in a few more TK kneecaps than usual...and one rather miss-thrown molotov.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    LavaKnight wrote: »

If only we'd stop killing each other :)

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    OMGI
    On the finale we killed the first tank and then we sat there for awhile waiting for the next one to spawn and we hear the music for the tank. After about 20 seconds the infected start chatting and saying oh I guess the survivors don't get a tank and we were all anticipating an attempt to lure us out. But then after about 5 minutes we'd realized we'd killed each of them once and that there was no tank. And thus no rescue. Just like a zombie movie where the rescue never makes it.

We eventually ran out and started killing stuff when unable to cope I went insane and shot Zoeyin the face.
    lol holy shit that's great.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    LavaKnight wrote: »

If only we'd stop killing each other :)

But that was what made it so fun!

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And if only I'd stop trying to kill the chimney.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    OMGI

lol holy shit that's great.

The best thing about it was that we were leading by 400 going into that level, but the survivors were well on track to trouncing us at the last moment. Our failure was pretty much imminent except... it never came :lol:

exis on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Only reason you were leading is because of cheapness.. which I'm going to go as far to say was an exploit.

It's the first time I've seen it... but Twist_of_Fate would continually use the hunter to train the witch over to us, pounce on us, and we'd then have an automatically downed survivor (and, further chaos becuase the rest of the infected team would capitalize on that moment.) This witch was often not even NEAR us, and we would have avoided it completely otherwise, or simply shotgunned her down as usual before she got up. Using this exploit, it's much more difficult to take her out before she incaps a survivor.

One instance he even did as a tank was on us. Classy.

The witch's purpose is to make the team change from "run and gun like crazy" to "stealth mode," as it's described in the dev. commentary. Using the hunter to train the witch is absolutely contrary to the purpose and intention of that boss infected.

I'm sure it will be patched out eventually, but I was disgusted by the fact that he kept doing it, even after I had said I found it stupid and cheap. I figured a PAer wouldn't go "Pub-style" and say "Oh well!" and keep doing it.

Edit: And the reason we didn't get a second tank so we could get an APC after was because the server had some odd thing where each round one side would get a tank, but the other wouldn't.

Map 1: No tanks
    Map 2: Tank spawned on us, but not on you.
    Map 3: No tank spawned on us, but one spawned on you.
    Map 4: Tank spawned on us, but not on you.
    Map 5: One less tank spawned on us, which was the APC Trigger tank.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment