Options

NXE, That new Xbox Dashboard Thing?

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm a little confused on the Netflix thing. If I sign up for the "2 at a time unlimited instant watch time" does that mean I can toss a bunch of streaming movies in and watch them whenever or that I can only have two movies in my unlimited list but can keep them there forever?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Two at a time means two discs out at any time. Unlimited instant watching is just what it says. I've got three discs out right now and I've streamed about 30 hours of content since the NXE update. I have around 100 titles in my instant queue.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Awesome - that is what it sounded like but then a little window popped up with details on my account and I got a bit scared that I would b charged like 80 bucks when the trial runs out.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nah, the avatar is about right as far as proportion goes... I just have a thing for over-exaggeration in cartoons.

In Rock Band I could pretty much make my dude look like a stick. It was hilarious.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone tried to watch a movie with an XBL party yet? I'm very curious as to how that works (but have to finish a big paper today so I can't play with it). It would be awesome if you could get a row of theater seats like MST3k with your avatars on screen while watching and talking.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I tried to put my handle in my profile so that people know who I am on XBL, but "honky" is a racist, hateful word so they won't let me put it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    PatboyX wrote: »
    I'm a little confused on the Netflix thing. If I sign up for the "2 at a time unlimited instant watch time" does that mean I can toss a bunch of streaming movies in and watch them whenever or that I can only have two movies in my unlimited list but can keep them there forever?

If you're interested solely in the streaming, you can even go one step down and do the $8.99/1 disc at a time plan. That's what I'm doing, and you still get unlimited streaming options. And you can have as many on your Instant Queue as you want; I'm up to 40-50 now, I think. The only downside is that there's no way to auto-alphabetize the list, so I have to manually sort them online. :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quiet Xbox is quiet. The NXE interface is great, it feels slick. It seems like the organization issues could be taken care of with the application of some dynamic and/or user created hierarchies. I'd also like to see a nickname feature.

Minor quibbles aside I really can't commend the UI team enough for this one. It was a great improvement, the upgrade went through without a hitch and I've found my Xbox more fun to use since it launched. I think that means mission accomplished.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Has anyone had problems running games from the hdd?

I tried playing FO3 a bit last night and the framerate kept dipping, along with a few other weird glitches (mine noise whenever I exited VATS). Playing off the disc previously I never really had any problems.

Could this be a sign of a failing hard drive? I did the maintenance thing in the OP, and I've only had this particular 360 for a couple of months. I'll try deleting it and reinstalling when I get home later tonight, I guess.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    3 RRoD with a green power light is hardware failure, and it's not "coming back" by simply unplugging it. 1, 2, and 4 red lights mean one of your cables is fucked up or something that's easily fixable.

3 RRoD has a 3 year warranty. Everything else has 1 year. Luckily, my 3 RRoD was a week before my 3-yr warranty expired. Should have a repaired xbox in a month or so.

Trojan35 on
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey I noticed that now when I turn my 360 off, the power brick's green light is still on.

Or has it always been like that, and I'm just tripping?

Jubeh on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah it's always been like that.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did they raise the price of Lumines Live again? It still shows up in the Arcade hits section but it went back up to 1200 points. Hopefully it's a mistake and they'll lower the price again, I've been meaning to get it forever, but I want to pay the lower price.
    Is there anyone at Microsoft I could e-mail for some help on the issue?

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Hey I noticed that now when I turn my 360 off, the power brick's green light is still on.

It means you're downloading something. It's always showed green when downloading.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Alright. I was worried because we had a 400 dollar energy bill this month, and if I was responsible that would be really upsetting. ):

Jubeh on
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Holy crap, how?

Turn off your shit.

Screamline on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Jubeh wrote: »

It means you're downloading something. It's always showed green when downloading.

Do you mean the green light at the center of the ring on your 360 console, or the yellow light that's on your power brick? (My power brick light is yellow, anyway.) If the former, and it's blinking, then you're downloading something and the system will shut off once you're finished. If the latter, yeah, that's always on and a constant (low) power drain.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The light on the power brick is green. If I turn my Xbox on and off again, it goes back to being yellow.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I noticed last night that it takes a while for the green to turn to yellow and it sounds like something is still running after I turn the xbox off.

edit: regarding the power brick

TacoMan on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If your controller is plugged in it's probably charging. Otherwise you are downloading something.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah, that might be it. I have a plug n play.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How do you set your online status to away or busy on the NXE? And how about checking your player rating?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    guide button -> settings

Ranced on
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is there a way to remove the "ground" from the NXE/dashboard so that it doesn't cover up half of the damn picture I have as a background? I'll be honest, I didn't check the background picture video or read this thread yet.

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    nope

Ranced on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ok, I'm bored of this thing now.

Meiz on
  • Options
    almighty_monkeyalmighty_monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What I love about the update is how last week I was able to play the Orange box and this week I'm not.

Am I alone in this? Both EP1, EP2 and TF2 all crash about 1 in every 3 maploads.

almighty_monkey on
    Guitar!
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only problem I seem to have is that my DLC for Rock Band doesn't work. It just sits on the loading screen while any other song loads up really quickly. I've not actually been on Live since I played Rock Band, but clearing the cache hasn't helped. I'm going to try deleting some songs and re-downloading them to see if that does anything, but it's a little frustrating.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is it weird that I've used my Xbox avatar and a giant picture of Vault Boy on my teaching website?

No, no I don't think it is.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So best things about the NXE... as established number 1 = games library loads in less time than it would take to redownload all the arcade games your have.

And new in at number 2, "Gamertag is online" is now a pretty smooth, higher rez image, and not the jaggy ugly fucker it used to be.

Its the little things :)

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Out of spite I made my avatar the same pink-haired Kasumi that I've used as my gamerpic since forever.

They really should have beefed up the avatar creator if they were serious about this. It was actually pretty hard to create something that resembled a busty pink-haired anime schoolgirl.

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I only found this out recently, and it blew my fucking mind. All along you were able to use any pic you want as the background on live. I just went and changed the background to a pic I have on my pc. Looks really cool.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I only found this out recently, and it blew my fucking mind. All along you were able to use any pic you want as the background on live. I just went and changed the background to a pic I have on my pc. Looks really cool.

WHAT

edit: Oh you meant as your dashboard background. Yeah, everyone knew that already. >_>

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I just went to watch a movie on Netflix and it's in 4:3. What the hell, this has never happened to me before on the PC, is this a problem just on the 360 or are some movies only in 4:3? Is there anything on the movie's webpage to say it's only in 4:3?

tofu on
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Really getting sick of my 360 advertising rubbish to me every time I turn it on. It could at least allow me to have the My Xbox section come up first, instead of whichever shite they're hocking today. I bought a console, not a bloody billboard.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, flicking that stick once is a terrible bother.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    chasm wrote: »

Oh well if that's all please allow me to load some ads onto your PC. You only have to press one button to get past them, but you clearly don't mind. Lets have ads everywhere. It's great when things you've alreay bought try to sell you other things.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Because ads everywhere cluttering up every screen except for system settings are much more preferable than having them in one easily skippable area in the dash.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man, half of my dashboard picture is cut off so most of these themes I bought are dumb looking now, lame

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    chasm wrote: »

I'd take the Showcase channel over the old flashing, animated ads any day, personally. At least these ads are static.

The Listener on