As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Dailyshow/Colbert Report: "Where Roe V Wade is two ways to get across a river."

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man I just don't find any of the correspondents on TDS funny, and I usually just cringe whenever they interview someone. That being said, I laugh like a maniac during the standard news segment and Jon's interview at the end is generally hit or miss, depending on how into it the interviewee is.

I really only watch TCR when I come in this thread and I see two pages dedicated to how awesome the latest TCR is, since Colbert really has the one running gag when you get right down to it. Also Doom Bunker was cool, but I didn't really lol at it, so I dunno, maybe it's not for me either.

theSquid on
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I have to admit, I don't really find the correspondents all that funny, I generally much more appreciate the Jon segments.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    theSquid wrote: »
    Man I just don't find any of the correspondents on TDS funny, and I usually just cringe whenever they interview someone. That being said, I laugh like a maniac during the standard news segment and Jon's interview at the end is generally hit or miss, depending on how into it the interviewee is.

Or how funny the interviewee is.

Is it just me, or was last week pretty damn good for interviews? I especially loved Brian Williams...I hadn't seen him on the show before, is he always this hilarious?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »

Is it just me, or was last week pretty damn good for interviews? I especially loved Brian Williams...I hadn't seen him on the show before, is he always this hilarious?

Jon and him have sort of running grudge gag thing going on.

He's probably been on the show half a dozen or more times. They're all good laughs.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Colbert completely jumped out of character for the Hannity wag of the finger. I mean the line he delivered right into Rush's throat under the guise of Hannity saying it to piss Rush off.

You could see the serious anger in the guys eyes and hear it in his voice. I don't think I've ever seen him break character that bad before, and his way of stringing Hannity into Rush to call him a "lardass talk radio mind corpse" was confusing at best and was simply thrown together so he could deliver that entire line.

That being said, I agree with him. I love Colbert's satircal style, and he's a smart motherfucker to boot.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

He's probably been on the show half a dozen or more times. They're all good laughs.

We also can't forget the running gag where Brian Williams' giant omnipotent head shows up on the screen behind Jon to tell his worldly wisdom.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Omeks wrote: »

We also can't forget the running gag where Brian Williams' giant omnipotent head shows up on the screen behind Jon to tell his worldly wisdom.

"I can't believe the giant head of Brian Williams was such a dick to me!"

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't watch the correspondent segments almost ever anymore

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't watch the correspondent segments almost ever anymore

My favorite TDS's go from news segments to interviews. The correspondent segments I'll check out online if there's sufficient buzz that they're worth it... but they usually aren't.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sadly, the heyday for correspondent pieces was when Colbert, Carrell, DeGeneres, et al were there. These days, its pretty spotty.

As was mentioned, the Usual Suspects/Obama-Hitler one was pretty good though,

Raynaga on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2009
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Sadly, the heyday for correspondent pieces was when Colbert, Carrell, DeGeneres, et al were there. These days, its pretty spotty.

I would watch John Oliver do correspondent pieces all day long.

Bogart on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I watch maybe half of Oliver's field pieces and turn the rest of them off, especially Bee and Jones who I've never found particularly funny.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    Raynaga wrote: »

I would watch John Oliver do correspondent pieces all day long.

Yea, definitely, Oliver always knocks it out of the park (especially when hes trolling people at a convention or some other sort of event). Wyatt Cinac is also usually pretty great.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I agree, the heyday of TDS was like 03-05, when you had Jon and then the fantastic correspondents to back him up. Now, the non-Jon segments tend to drag if Wyatt Cinac, Larry Wilmore, John Hodgeman, or John Oliver aren't doing it.

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I agree, the heyday of TDS was like 03-05, when you had Jon and then the fantastic correspondents to back him up. Now, the non-Jon segments tend to drag if Wyatt Cinac, Larry Wilmore, John Hodgeman, or John Oliver aren't doing it.

To be fair, those four guys do an awfully large proportion of the non-Jon segments.

I don't like Wyatt Cenac as much as most people do. His delivery just feels a little unnatural to me.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Well, I think there were two really solid groups: Colbert, Rocca, Littleford, and DeGeneres and then Colbert, Carrell, Helms, Corddry, and Walls

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    God, Rocca used to annoy the living hell out of me.

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    By the end, yeah. And his post Daily Show career has been incredibly annoying, but when Jon started hosting he was pretty consistently funny.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know guys, I always smile when they have Stephen Colbert's Americone Dream ice cream at the market. It's not often that they have it... but when they do, it never fails to cheer me up.

And I always buy one because it really brings the deliciousness/truthiness.
    By the way, the Firefox spellcheck on "truthiness" defaults to "mouthiness". :P

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    By the end, yeah. And his post Daily Show career has been incredibly annoying, but when Jon started hosting he was pretty consistently funny.

I don't remember his TDS tenure at all, I guess because I didn't consistently start watching TDS until Indecision 2004.

The most that I know Rocca from are his appearances on Iron Chef America on Food Network. Sometimes he can say something genuinely funny, but it's obvious that he tries too hard and makes terrible jokes that just fall to the ground with a loud thud. It seems like he comes on as the celebrity non-food judge and for that reason, everyone expects him to make the funny so he tries too hard to make jokes.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Man if you weren't watching TDS during the 2000 elections you missed some quality shit.

Especially the night after the election.

"We were JOKING about the Indecision part people!"

Or some such thing, it was long ago.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wow

I'm speechless. Jon's (new) segment on Kramer and Bear Stearns was brilliant.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't really like Jon Oliver all the time.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    I don't really like Jon Oliver all the time.

he's good in small doses, anything longer then a few minutes is painful.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Cougar Chew Toy:lol:

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Colbert really changed fast. His opening sequence was what, 20 seconds?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aegis wrote: »

His show is also pre-taped, so he can really take however long he likes...

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Er, they can pre-record that you know...

Kagera on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    Kagera wrote: »

Er, they can pre-record that you know...

Beat'd by an hour.

Although he does do the show in one sitting, so it's not hard to imagine him running off to change so the audience doesn't get bored. When I was there for the taping, everything was in realtime.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Do they not put Friday episodes on Hulu ever?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Do they not put Friday episodes on Hulu ever?
    o_O
    There are no Friday shows.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    No, because there are no Friday episodes.

EDIT: Dammit.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh well that makes sense.

Man I never watch shows on the actual television anymore. I don't know this shit.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Seriously though, I'm kinda glad that the biggest problem so far is the administration's inability to give worthwhile gifts to foreign dignitaries.

But seriously, I did facepalm when Obama got that amazingly historic gift from Brown and we gave him...some DVDs.

I mean, at LEAST give him Blu-Ray, sheesh.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Was there no new episode tonight?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2009
    ...does all the people talking about tonight's episodes confuse you?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Kagera wrote: »
    Seriously though, I'm kinda glad that the biggest problem so far is the administration's inability to give worthwhile gifts to foreign dignitaries.

But seriously, I did facepalm when Obama got that amazingly historic gift from Brown and we gave him...some DVDs.

I mean, at LEAST give him Blu-Ray, sheesh.

It was like they didn't buy anything, saw what Brown had brought, and then just started opening deks draws in the West Wing to grab whatever was to hand. Do better next time, guys. Maybe you could give us Hawaii.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    ...does all the people talking about tonight's episodes confuse you?

No, my DVR's lack of recording the show confuses me. Hmm, I'll have to look into whatever caused that.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    "Yeah, y'know, like if I became president, I would like, have all my favorite bands play in the livingroom, right, and for breakfast every day, I hope you like icecreeeeaaaam!" XD

Henroid on
This discussion has been closed.