As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your Five Senses

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    Killjoy wrote: »
    close your eyes

hold out both middle fingers facing each other about two feet away

try to make them touch right at the tip

I know my body figures out where my limbs are, I am just wondering if it is a sense.

Example, a ball comes flying towards my face. I see the ball, I register its direction and speed and I can grab it out of the air. I give the order, but my body does all the math involved in figuring out where the ball will be more or less automatically. This is not a sense, it is merely a function of sight.

This "sense" might be the same. I do not consciously keep track of my body part but my sense of touch, balance, and the control I have over my muscles lets my brain figure out where my limbs are.

Edit: This is an issue of classification, I am not questioning if it is real or not.

All of those things are based on an subconscious awareness of your weight and external pressure on your limbs and extremeties.

Without the sense of touch, you'd lose all that, and you'd have no comprehension of your body's actual level of strength at any given day, nor any sense of pain and therefore you'd have no way to tell when your body is in bad shape or if you're pushing yourself way too much.
    you're missing the point goatmon
    they're talking about the kinesthetic sense, and Vic is saying he doesn't believe it's a distinct sense
    but it is distinct, and it's not touch

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I didn't even mean to make that strong a point, I was just undecided on its status as a sense since the section in the wikipedia article was not very clear on the nature of kinesthesia and did not give a good definition on what a sense is. I was hoping someone could make this clearer or give their view, but the only replies were "no you are wrong".

Turns out there was a separate wiki article on kinesthetic or proprioception as it is apparently also called. I bow to the scientific community's decision that it is a proper sense. It appears that while kinesthesia relies heavily on the body's sense of balance and touch, there are a multitude of stretch-receptors in our muscles and skin that seem to be dedicated to our proprioception.

Vic on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is that why you have the ghost limb effect with amputees or is that unrelated?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Kinesthesia is a sense separate from touch, technically.

This isn't an issue of opinion. It is governed by a separate part of the brain, and is considered a separate sense in its own right, just like the vestibular sense. The confusion is that it is not technically a perceptory sense, which is what people usually mean when they say "sense" (as in the five senses). In reality, there are more than five senses, just some of them are cognitive or otherwise not perceptory.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for summing up the thread shanks

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I believe it's the same sense, yes
    only your brain is so used to the limb being there that it can continue to perceive it as being there even after it's gone

and before someone says that a sense shouldn't be able to perceive a limb that's not there, keep in mind people hallucinate all the time, smell non-existent odors, etc

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I'd vote for losing my sense of taste

I love my food too much; maybe if I didn't relish every bite I'd find it easier to give up chocolate and curries and other naughty things

Janson on
  • Options
    ShankusuShankusu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    Thanks for summing up the thread shanks

Don't be a shit. There's been confusion, I thought I would make things more clear.

Shankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Druhim wrote: »
    only your brain is so used to the limb being there that it can continue to perceive it as being there even after it's gone

and before someone says that a sense shouldn't be able to perceive a limb that's not there, keep in mind people hallucinate all the time, smell non-existent odors, etc

Interesting. So does that diminish over time? I assume so, like you get used to having no legs or something.

The whole ghost limb issue is something that has always fascinated me because it kind of makes you realise the human brain is far, far more complicated than you would have thought. And I've always thought it to be incredibly complex.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Interesting. So does that diminish over time? I assume so, like you get used to having no legs or something.

The whole ghost limb issue is something that has always fascinated me because it kind of makes you realise the human brain is far, far more complicated than you would have thought. And I've always thought it to be incredibly complex.
    I'm pretty sure it does disappear over time
    I think the brain centers that deal with that essentially need to get used to the limb not being there any more, to put it crudely

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I should exercise my common sense.

And my gaydar. That is a sense, right?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I would never, ever give up my sense of sight.

How would I see those rude titties at the bar over there if I lost that?

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Daric wrote: »

Then again, I'd imagine boobs would take on an almost religious nature if your only experience of them was touch.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Then again, I'd imagine boobs would take on an almost religious nature if your only experience of them was touch.

They are soft.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Bahaha! Scarab you scoundrel!

AlbertoVargasGirlinRedBathingSuit.jpg

Even I can appreciate a lovely, finely-crafted pin-up. I like my eyesight. Why would anyone want to stop seeing pwetty ladies?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    smell sucks

getting it back is almost the worst part of quitting smoking

When you aren't a smoker what you don't realize is that you have gotten used to the smell of foul liquids seeping from your car in disrepair, the wicked stench of homeless men by your favorite dive bar, or the stomach churning odor of old fast food wrappers but minutes after you have completed your meal.

One way or another, you probably aren't using it anyway, so I'd ditch it.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There is just no class in pin up girls anymore. All slutty and emo. What has the world come to? Go back to the 50s I say.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Zoel wrote: »
    smell sucks

getting it back is almost the worst part of quitting smoking

When you aren't a smoker what you don't realize is that you have gotten used to the smell of foul liquids seeping from your car in disrepair, the wicked stench of homeless men by your favorite dive bar, or the stomach churning odor of old fast food wrappers but minutes after you have completed your meal.

One way or another, you probably aren't using it anyway, so I'd ditch it.

Or how bad your fucking cigarettes smell.

Daric on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    There is just no class in pin up girls anymore. All slutty and emo. What has the world come to? Go back to the 50s I say.

No more terrible photochops! Quite often I find that the girl seems to get much smaller waist down due to poor editing. It looks unnatural if the shot isn't slightly overhead. Airbrush if you must, but don't make her disproportional! On that same note, in vintage pinup photography there wasn't a way to edit to image in a way that would take the starting image of a 1:7/head:body ratio to a 1:8, but now with photoshop it is incredibly prevalent. I have never liked that proportion set, it looks to lean and long and many of the nuances in a figure are lost.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

Nooooooooo nobody is heeding my advice :<

Take taste you fools, most of what we associate as taste is actually smell anyway.

Xhero on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No more terrible photochops! Quite often I find that the girl seems to get much smaller waist down due to poor editing. It looks unnatural if the shot isn't slightly overhead. Airbrush if you must, but don't make her disproportional! On that same note, in vintage pinup photography there wasn't a way to edit to image in a way that would take the starting image of a 1:7/head:body ratio to a 1:8, but now with photoshop it is incredibly prevalent. I have never liked that proportion set, it looks to lean and long and many of the nuances in a figure are lost.

what

Daric on
  • Options
    KilljoyKilljoy __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008

what

seriously what the fuck is this all about

Killjoy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

what

boobs

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Xhero wrote: »
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

Take taste you fools, most of what we associate as taste is actually smell anyway.
    your confusing flavor with taste
    taste is independent of smell
    flavor is a combination of smell and taste

but that doesn't mean that everything loses it's flavor without smell, you still get the taste component

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

but that doesn't mean that everything loses it's flavor without smell, you still get the taste component

I'd bet sight and touch contribute to flavour too.

Like, if food is warm or not, or the consistency and texture. And the colour.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

yeah but that's pretty worthless

try eating food without smell, plug your nose

Xhero on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

I'd bet sight and touch contribute to flavour too.

Like, if food is warm or not, or the consistency and texture. And the colour.

probably. People associate senses all the time. There are actually quite a few people who see flashes of light with their eyes closed if they hear the snapping of fingers or loud noises.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No more terrible photochops! Quite often I find that the girl seems to get much smaller waist down due to poor editing. It looks unnatural if the shot isn't slightly overhead. Airbrush if you must, but don't make her disproportional! On that same note, in vintage pinup photography there wasn't a way to edit to image in a way that would take the starting image of a 1:7/head:body ratio to a 1:8, but now with photoshop it is incredibly prevalent. I have never liked that proportion set, it looks tot lean and long and many of the nuances in a figure are lost.

what

No one has taken art? Ratios?

The head takes up a certain amount of your total height. This can vary depending on age and gender, and the appearance can be skewed with the presence of heels. An average person can have a head that takes up around a seventh of their total height. Fashion models are photoshopped to more closely resemble the classic Greek standard of impossible beauty, wherein the head takes up an eighth of the total height (hence 1:8).

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'd lose smell.

I don't really need it.

yeah but that's pretty worthless

try eating food without smell, plug your nose
    I have, and there isn't a significant change in the experience for me

this probably varies from person to person, but for me the sense of smell doesn't have much impact on what I experience in my mouth, though it does noticeably enhance the flavor a bit
    but it's certainly not like everything suddenly becomes bland, it's pretty subtle

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    your tasting of things is mostly influenced by actually smelling it

all your tongue discerns is sweet, salty, sour, and bitter..

so i would lose taste cause its mostly smell too

tugga on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

No more terrible photochops! Quite often I find that the girl seems to get much smaller waist down due to poor editing. It looks unnatural if the shot isn't slightly overhead. Airbrush if you must, but don't make her disproportional! On that same note, in vintage pinup photography there wasn't a way to edit to image in a way that would take the starting image of a 1:7/head:body ratio to a 1:8, but now with photoshop it is incredibly prevalent. I have never liked that proportion set, it looks tot lean and long and many of the nuances in a figure are lost.

what

The head takes up a certain amount of your total height. This can vary depending on age and gender, and the appearance can be skewed with the presence of heels. An average person can have a head that takes up around a seventh of their total height. Fashion models are photoshopped to more closely resemble the classic Greek standard of impossible beauty, wherein the head takes up an eighth of the total height (hence 1:8).

how much room do the tits take up?

Daric on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    hopefully like 3:8

Daric on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think I could stand to be blind

a friend of mine argued that the most relaxed and serene time is when you have your eyes closed and you can sit in the dark and just listen, or think, or whatever, and he wouldn't mind being like that all the time

plus if I went deaf that means I could never listen to music ever again, and I don't think I could do that

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    i wouldnt last long after losing my hearing

music and sounds are just way too important in my life

.. i sound so incredibly emo with this post

tugga on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

what

Not much really. In a drawing, drawn facing forward, the breasts do not create much curvature in the figure in an of themselves. Does it exist? Yes. But the hourglass figure of the top-half has more to do with the relation of waist to shoulders.

A drawing does not create the illusion of depth till lighting is placed.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

what

Not much really. In a drawing, drawn facing forward, the breasts do not create much curvature in the figure in an of themselves. Does it exist? Yes. But the hourglass figure of the top-half has more to do with the relation of waist to shoulders.

A drawing does not create the illusion of depth till lighting is placed.

yeah but I like my women with giant fake breasts like G cups

Daric on
  • Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I do not get the people saying they'd rather go blind than deaf. Yeah, I'd really miss music, too, but I do not use sound to navigate.

DE?AD on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    arent boobs like all curve though?

except old or weird boobs that are shapped like V V

tugga on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Daric on