As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wherein we discuss the wonder that is TITAN QUEST (NSF56k)

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No no don't! I just made it work.

piL on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    piL wrote: »
    No no don't! I just made it work.

Okay, let me reinstall real quick. ;)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Game's back up: PA/wang

Can you join?

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    It said I had the wrong version, and my version is listed as 1.1.sd

Damnit.

piL on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's... odd.

Try removing the patch (the zip file has an uninstaller), and let's try that.

I hope this isn't some idiotic Steam-doesn't-play-nice-with-the-boxed-copy problem. :|

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2009
    make sure you disable the auto-update in steam for that game, otherwise it will overwrite the fan patch probably.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I found this about the fan patch & Steam: apparently if you manually copy the files over, it works.

Let's give it another shot sans the patch, though; one problem at a time. Let's make sure we can connect.

EDIT: PA/wang is back up, unpatched this time.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    zhen_rogue wrote: »
    -Needing to waste time/money on frequent potion restocking, hours of specific class-defining item hunting, or other similar metagaming in order to make the class end-game viable.

Potions are dirt cheap and stack at 5 per slot of which you have plenty, and are automatically hotkeyed. Even when I was churning through them in the last two dungeons of the pre-expansion game, I never really had issues with running out. Teleporting back to town is trivial, and you can jump back right where you left off. In the end, I just ended up buying a hundred of so health potions, and just restocked whenever I had to teleport back anyway to sell my loot.

Edit: If it matters, I was using a Warfare/Defense build using the Warfare AoE stun ability and the ability that builds your attack power as you make attacks, and the Defense ability Adreneline Rush for in-combat regen and later attack boosts.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Any idea what's wrong, piL? Saw you lag out, then rejoin, and disappear again.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Now all I'm getting are CTDs when I try to connect s3rial. I think I'll try rebooting :|

piL on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Now all I'm getting are CTDs when I try to connect s3rial. I think I'll try rebooting :|

Okay. I'm going to re-start the game while we're at it. Forgot to party and I already did part of that quest before you disappeared. Want to make sure we both get it.

EDIT: If anyone else wants to join us, by all means, roll up a new character and jump in. We're not using the fan patch at the moment; just plain old unpatched (1.1) Immortal Throne/Gold.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CTD again. What the shit?

piL on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    CTD again. What the shit?

That's weird...

Maybe update your video drivers or something? I'm really not sure what could be causing it, and I've never had that problem.

EDIT: Okay, well, I did once, but I think it was just my laptop overheating.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'll try that. Fucking headache this is turning up to be.

piL on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I guess I'll try that. Fucking headache this is turning up to be.

I think this is why MMOs have become so popular. Thinking all the way back to when I started PC gaming in the mid 90s, it has always been a pain in the ass. Direct dial, where you'd get booted in the middle of a 2-hour Warcraft match because someone called. Then there was M-player. Oh my god, M-player. The experience was bad enough to drive someone to suicide...

FPS games with dedicated servers worked alright. And so did Battlenet. But every game I can think of where it has been one person with a non-dedicated server trying to host for a small group has been a complete pain in the ass (I'm looking at you, Mechwarrior, Baldur's Gate, and anything that used DirectPlay). The experience, 15 years later, now, isn't really much improved.

That's one of the big reasons I'm looking forward to D3 so much. I mean, it's D3, yeah, but it'll also just fucking work. None of the arcane, ritualistic sacrifice that's required to get a TQ or NWN(2) server running and stable.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    s3rial one wrote: »
    (I'm looking at you, Mechwarrior, Baldur's Gate, and anything that used DirectPlay)

Holllllly shiiiiiiiit was BG a pain-in-the-balls to get work. I just wanted to play a DnD epic without having to focus on six characters, and be able to play a real-time caster, while exploring shit with my friends. Is that too much to ask?

piL on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    jothki wrote: »
    -Needing to waste time/money on frequent potion restocking, hours of specific class-defining item hunting, or other similar metagaming in order to make the class end-game viable.

Potions are dirt cheap and stack at 5 per slot of which you have plenty, and are automatically hotkeyed. Even when I was churning through them in the last two dungeons of the pre-expansion game, I never really had issues with running out. Teleporting back to town is trivial, and you can jump back right where you left off. In the end, I just ended up buying a hundred of so health potions, and just restocked whenever I had to teleport back anyway to sell my loot.

Edit: If it matters, I was using a Warfare/Defense build using the Warfare AoE stun ability and the ability that builds your attack power as you make attacks, and the Defense ability Adreneline Rush for in-combat regen and later attack boosts.

I beat the entire original titans quest before I realized there was a button on the HUD that created the portals back to town. The entire time I was cursing about the fact they didn't even have recall scrolls like diablo. I felt dumb once I finally saw the button.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Any luck, piL?

Assuming you can get it working, we'll actually have four people. This should be fun. :)

s3rial one on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Not sure if this is figured out already or not, but I was able to patch the Steam version of the game in Vista 64 by just running the installer from my downloads folder. So probably not a Steam issue. Mine's even set to keep up to date.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Updated drivers, still CTDd, so I put the backups back (which I should have done first) still CTDs :(

piL on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

I beat the entire original titans quest before I realized there was a button on the HUD that created the portals back to town. The entire time I was cursing about the fact they didn't even have recall scrolls like diablo. I felt dumb once I finally saw the button.

Heh, I was repeatedly annoyed by having the game create a portal every time that I tried to check my quest (l)og. I'm too used to MMORPGs.

jothki on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Downloading the fan patches now. Time to get my Quest on.

edit: gotta build a computer first. shouldn't take more than twenty minutes though.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd totally be down for playing some of this. I don't own the expansion pack, I'll try to pick it up on the cheap.

But I really love this game -- so lets get something going.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We aren't playing with the fan patch, fyi.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    FYI, Pauper and I are still playing. We're in Act 1 normal, level 10, about to do the Cyclops. The game is PA//wang, and we're running Immortal Throne 1.1. Join us, if you've got a character that level!

s3rial one on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    (I'm looking at you, Mechwarrior, Baldur's Gate, and anything that used DirectPlay)

Holllllly shiiiiiiiit was BG a pain-in-the-balls to get work. I just wanted to play a DnD epic without having to focus on six characters, and be able to play a real-time caster, while exploring shit with my friends. Is that too much to ask?

Baldur's Gate was designed for like, windows 95. But if you install all the patches, its easy to get to work with LAN, or virtual LAN. If you don't, you can't play it multiplayer on a modern PC.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think we should figure out how to get the FAN patch working. If anything, we might all have to get Hamachi going, if we can't use the internet play rooms. Regardless, it does help quite a ton.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    So, piL, Dignified Pauper, FettS1 and I had a game going tonight, and it was a lot of fun.

We wound up calling it quits at Ambrossos, with Pauper and I at level 11.

Pauper is a Diviner (Dream/Spirit), piL is a Ranger (Nature/Hunting), Fett is a... Pyromancer? And I'm a Rogue (although I've got a couple other characters around that level that I might use instead).

I think for the next game - assuming we can get one going - we should switch to the fan patch. At least now we know we can revert to 1.1 and get everything working, if need be.

EDIT: I'm leveling up a Thane to catch up to us. I'll use that next time, instead.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    your titancalc link in the OP is wrong, should be .com not .net

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    your titancalc link in the OP is wrong, should be .com not .net

Thanks. Fixed it.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Good times last night 8-) Sorry I had to duck out early.

I'm ultimately going to be going Elementalist (Earth/Storm). I'll try to jump on later this evening.

FettS1 on
    Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I got this on Steam a few months ago, just need to redownload it to my new computer.

Can I play with you guys using the Steam version?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I think we should figure out how to get the FAN patch working. If anything, we might all have to get Hamachi going, if we can't use the internet play rooms. Regardless, it does help quite a ton.

Fan Patch: Download the automated patch and place it in the tiqt folder and run it..For steam version, grab the engine.dll from the manual patch and replace the current one so that everyone has the same version number. done.

stigweard on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    oh damn you people. Are you going to make me hunt down my discs, ARE YOU!? I'm already playing Mount and Blade, Dawn of War, a sekrit beta, and Medieval 2.

I've never successfully played a MP game though.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    shanisshanis LCDR, US Navy Maryland, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maaaan, I bought this game retail when it came out, then let it sit after getting about 2/3rds of the way in. Then I bought it again on Steam with the expansion a few months back, got about halfway then stopped.

I really want to finish it. It's a great game. A great game. It just... wears thin on me after extended amounts of play.

shanis on
    Origin(BF4) - hunter28100 / Steam - Shanis

"Uh, I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It's just that what you do is not worth doing." -S.C.
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Do I need to update TQ:IT to its most current release version before applying the fanpatch?
    Or, do I install TQ:IT as vanilla, skip the release patches, and just install the fanpatch?

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Do I need to update TQ:IT to its most current release version before applying the fanpatch?
    Or, do I install TQ:IT as vanilla, skip the release patches, and just install the fanpatch?

I don't believe IT ever received a patch; it shipped as 1.1, and never progressed beyond that.

So, basically, you'd install TQ, install IT, run IT so that it updates all your TQ files, then install the fan patch.

EDIT: I am totally down for another game this afternoon or later this evening. At some point, I need to drag my lazy ass down to Whole Foods, but after that, I'll be good to play any time.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Again, can my Steam version play with you guys?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I don't believe IT ever received a patch; it shipped as 1.1, and never progressed beyond that.

So, basically, you'd install TQ, install IT, run IT so that it updates all your TQ files, then install the fan patch.

EDIT: I am totally down for another game this afternoon or later this evening. At some point, I need to drag my lazy ass down to Whole Foods, but after that, I'll be good to play any time.

Ahh - no official IT patches, no wonder I was having trouble figuring out wtf was going on - thanks for the clarification.
    I'd be up for some MP action as i'm getting started here - how does the SP game integrate with the MP game? Is it like D2 where you can't mix the two? Or can I make a SP game, develop a character, and bring that SP character into your MP game at any point?

zhen_rogue on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Again, can my Steam version play with you guys?

Yes.
    I'd be up for some MP action as i'm getting started here - how does the SP game integrate with the MP game? Is it like D2 where you can't mix the two? Or can I make a SP game, develop a character, and bring that SP character into your MP game at any point?

The two are interchangeable. The only barrier characters have to contend with is the campaign characters vs. "custom" characters (which are only usable on custom maps).

s3rial one on