As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anyone want to play a little pickle? [Jurassic Park! Dinosaurs! NSF56K/Limbs]

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    121485706957.gif

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I have the most embarassing story ever about a Jurassic park toy and I am not going to tell it

People should be infracted for this sort of post.

TELL US

WE NEED TO KNOW.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh shits, I totally forgot about Gallaminus! This will need to be remedied. I will also add the Sega CD game to the OP, as it was in fact the balls. I am falling behind on my own thread!

On a related note I ust recently I tried to complete the isometric JP game for the SNES, however it crashed right before I was able to collect the last raptor egg. It'll probably be another 10 years before I work up the strength and free time to try it again.

And damn Rankenphile, don't hold out on us. Here is my secret shame to get the ball rolling:

Ariana Richards was my first actual crush on girls ever, and it made me all hot and bothered when she got dusted with dinosaur snot.

Good times.

Glad you all enjoyed the OP, I will not get a paycheck today because of it.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    3233477890_a3ed61f330_b.jpg
    Here I am near the Jurassic Park ride at Universal Studios Japan wearing my T-Rex hat. The ride was fun and I wanted something to remember it by or I wanted to be a dork. Either way I got a cool hat out of it.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    This thread should be moving way faster than this

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i fucking grew up on these movies. first forum i ever joined was on a jurassic park fansite, like when i was 12

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god, find your account and show us posts.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    In the San Francisco zoo, they have a cassowary. It is a large bird that lives in northern Australia, and is basically a small velociraptor.

Its enclosure had really dense trees, but I caught glimpses of it stalking around. It makes this horribly menacing grunting noise.

For a moment, I felt like I was in Jurassic Park.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Fucking awesome of an OP.

Only problem is...

gain green

SirToasty on
  • Options
    LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh god, find your account and show us posts.
    the site is gone now, i just looked. using the internet wayback machine to see if i can turn up anything

edit: no, it doesnt archive anything past the main page of the forums

the site was jp aftermath, and my account name was Muldoon & Raptor

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    In the San Francisco zoo, they have a cassowary. It is a large bird that lives in northern Australia, and is basically a small velociraptor.

Its enclosure had really dense trees, but I caught glimpses of it stalking around. It makes this horribly menacing grunting noise.

For a moment, I felt like I was in Jurassic Park.

I have two dogs - a black lab and a German Shepherd mix of some kind - and occasionally when they walk in a room they'll both squeeze through the door side-by-side and immediately split up and cover opposite edges of the room

they move just like the raptors moving through the kitchen in that one scene

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    since when does Velociraptor mean "bird of prey"?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dinoriders.jpg

Pew pew Roar

Harness the Power of Dinosaurs

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    well, "velociraptor" translates to "swift thief" or "swift plunderer" if I recall

birds of prey are commonly known simply as raptors, which is the part that means "to snatch or carry off," which describes their predatory nature

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    On that Jurassic Park ride at the theme park, I was literally pulled up from my seat. Mostly because my fat ass cousins sat at either side of it and the bar thingy that held you down was loose to me, being a skinny 13 year old at the time.

The picture of me is practically standing up and with the yellow tarp all over the place and I'm all DX

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    yeah I know the etymology

translating "swft thief" to "bird of prey" still doesn't make sense

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    it doesn't translate necessarily, but the "thief" part and the "predator" part are analogous

Analogous is probably not the word I want but you know what I mean

edit: also, nobody calls the birds velociraptors anyway, just raptors

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    OP has been updated respectively.

Last time I went to Universal Studios Orlando, my friend and I must have gone on that ride at least ten times.

One of the times I took out my camera in attempt to film the entire ride. We made it all the way to initial moments before the drop, and as the T-rex simulation crashed through the roof above us our boat suddenly stopped, literally right at the cusp of the fall, and a couple flood lights came on. Then a voice over the intercom boom, "Person in the front seat please put away the camera!". The lights went off and the ride resumed, however at this point the T-rex was already being reset back into it's default position, ruining the illusion for everyone. Whooomp whoomp (sad trombone).

Also, obese people shouldn't be allowed to ride up front.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    It's been "bird of prey" ever since Speilberg had Dr. Grant say it in the first movie.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Jurassic Park 3
    Dumbest moment: Spinosaur wrecking the t-rex's shit.

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT

THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ENTIRE FUCKING MOVIE

The only thing that makes this dumb is the fact it was at the beginning of the movie otherwise it's the only reason to see the damn movie. They should have kept the T-rex around just so you could have people running and screaming from two massive predators. Instead I have to watch some kid play with Rex piss, talking raptors, and the X-Games in a pterodactyl nest.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    And considering the amount of good this film did for paleontology I'm sure they let it slide.

Otaku: It is dumb because the Spinosaur won.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I also like how the spinosaur manages to live through the T-Rex chomping down on its neck. Nothing lives through that shit, ok? I don't care how thick your skin is, that's going to crush your spine and puncture your arteries, and on the negligible chance that you do manage to survive somehow, you've only got a few days until the gangrene and sepsis take over your bloodstream entirely.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Of course it won. A Spinosaurus is bigger than a T-Rex. It's like saying a Compy should have been able to take down a Raptor.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, but seeing as how the T-Rex was kind the symbol of the franchise, having him killed off by a predominant fish eater within the first 20 minutes and then following with the big "f-you" that was the rest of the movie seems a pretty terrible choice. I agree however that having the two team up to hunt the humans in a sort of dinosaur buddy movie would have been the better way to go with things.

The best thing to come from that film was the cell phone ring that came emitted from the spinosaur every time he was near. I still look about my surroundings whenever someone has that ringtone.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    ...either way you're alive when they eat you.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fun fact! Were you aware that the fat little kid Dr. Grant threatens in that scene is played by Jake Gyllenhal?

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have two things to say here.

Number one, I caught Jurassic Park on tv a few days ago and god dammit, that movie has the best special effects ever. Nothing can touch the T-Rex in the rain scene.

Number two, was that guy in JP3 really named Jack Kirby? Man fuck that movie.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Fun fact! Were you aware that the fat little kid Dr. Grant threatens in that scene is played by Jake Gyllenhal?

I cannot find anything to prove this statement as true.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I swear I had this terribly vivid dream the other night where I was outside the T-rex gate when of course the damn thing busts out and finds me hiding under the car. It even did the dialated pupils thing when it saw me, I flipped shit.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ditto Raijin, I cannot however find anything to prove it as false.

Fun Fact Number Two: The first character to get eaten (not including the off-screen death at the beginning of the movie) by the Spinosaur is named after the first character to get eaten in the Dino Crisis franchise. DINO CRISIS. That should tell you where the writers heads where on this one.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0381035/

This is clearly the guy who played that fat kid.

Whit Hertford

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Fun Fact #1 revoked...

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The OP memorial should be updated to include Bob Peck, who played Robert Muldoon. He died in the late 90s.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    CheeksCheeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have two things to say here.

Number one, I caught Jurassic Park on tv a few days ago and god dammit, that movie has the best special effects ever. Nothing can touch the T-Rex in the rain scene.

The interesting thing with that scene? Because the skins for the T-Rex were made of latex, it started soaking up the water and started to weigh heavily on the skeleton underneath. In the extra features on the DVD you can see the effect it had on the T-Rex, The hydraulics would start shaking uncontrollably trying to move the heavy skin and it looks like Michael J. Fox the dinosaur. It almost caused the scene to be terribly cut down but they figured out a way to shield it from the rain machines and dry it between takes.

Cheeks on
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    *slow clap*

that op must have taken some planning. Dear lord this is awesome.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ascotascot Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I always take slow clapping as a bad thing. I like really fast enthusiastic clapping. Like what you see in old black and white sped-up movies.

ascot on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    What is your opinion on the golf clap?

Jimothy on
  • Options
    ShockwaveShockwave Back In Black Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Great job. Also,

9u5e39.jpg

Shockwave on
    shockwavesig.jpg
  • Options
    Toastie ToastToastie Toast Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man I like Spielberg sometimes but also fucking hate him.

He's like someone who brings you delicious cake, and then pees on it in front of you.

Toastie Toast on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    John HammondJohn Hammond __BANNED USERS new member
    edited January 2009
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Dr. Ian Malcolm
    Malcom.jpg

Movie Version: Everyone's favorite rock star chaos theorist! Jeff Goldblum took this role and ran with it, staying in character up to and throughout his role in Independence Day, a film he would not star for another three years! Unfortunately he snapped out of it just prior to the shooting of Jurassic Park 2, and in a haze of confusion decided to portray the good doctor as a pussy instead.

Novel Version: Dr. Mary Sue. Micheal Crichton's biggest mouthpiece character in a novel filled with mouthpiece characters! Like Grant, will not shut up about his theories, even when suffering from gain green and slipping in and out of coma's. Takes time out from dying to go on long winded diatribes, conveniently moving the plot forward with the subtlety of a jackhammer before passing out once more.

Best moment of stupidity: Knowing full well in advance that not only was the park bound to fail and it's citizens to be horribly maimed, but still attending a free trip for the hell of it. Probably just so he could sit back and give a smug "I told you so", all the while being disemboweled by prehistoric horrors. BONUS POINTS: Brings himself back from the dead just in time to attend a second excursion to the island.

Idiot rating: 7

I really hate that man.

John Hammond on
    47175483dh7.jpg