As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DoW2 Beta: Eldar claims to have been raped by patch, gripping details inside.

• Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You'd take a 600 hp tank that gets raped in three hits over a walker?

I guess it costs less, so that's a plus.
    50 less req, 35 more electricity?

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You'd take a 600 hp tank that gets raped in three hits over a walker?

I guess it costs less, so that's a plus.

Yep. Unless the person in control of the tank is retarded, it will beat a walker any day of the week. Walkers are slow. Back the tank up at the same speed as the walker advances, wait 15 seconds, win.

Also, due to its speed its not vulnerable to all the melee anti tank units in the game.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It also is ranged vs. armor/heavy infantry, which the dread isn't.

Also small arms fire does zero damage to it.

Yeah but whenever I want the stupid thing to go reverse it tries to turn. Any secret CoH knowledge I should know to make the stupid fucking thing go in reverse when I want to?

Also I use assault dreads, Canis. Om nom nom infantry.

Basically I have a hard-on for the sound the assault cannon makes.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    click directly behind it a bunch of times.

I think shift+click still assigns commands in order. so do line of shift clicks that are spaced close together to get it to reverse.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Universally pathing needs to be tightened up

No, rangers. You have a sniper rifle. Do not get into range for your other stupid rangers to shoot them.

And scouts with sniper rifles, you are not assault marines. do not walk right up to the guy to take a shot.

That's why this is a beta!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The terrible skirmish AI comes into play when someone drops in a 3v3. It essentially becomes 2v3 then.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So I finally figured out how to rock with the 'nids.

You place one of those auto reinforcing pod things near a major fight, and engage. The constant stream of 'gaunts, with a venom cannoned synaptic enforced hive tyrant makes you unbeatable.

I lose a ton of units as the nids, just throwing swarms at things till they die. I got called a noob in one 3v3 for not doing much and we where losing pretty badly.

Then I unleashed the horde. I swept the entire map, point by point. While my space marine team mates followed behind all back of the bus and shit capturing the stuff I had just cleansed. It was gorgeous. I nearly died to some Mekboy's turret swarm that frustrated me. Then the cranifex's arrived. Glorious.

Oh, and then we won.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah click like, less then one tank length behind it a bunch of times and itll go flat out reverse.

I wasn't ever a huge coh player, but jesus christ am I glad I played enough to learn its mechanics.

Ceasing to play dow1 and playing coh exclusively like one week before beta dropped was a good decision.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I think you win as 'Nids by spamming Carniflexes.

Also, you guys should whine to fix the fire prism because it costs 50 less req, has 400 HP, moves slower, and has no side arms. The other thing is being fixed, I know that for sure.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How do you effectively use wartrukks and razorbacks?

Do you use them like a movable machine gun nest? Can they even suppress infantry? I use them a few times, but they're so clunky that it became a chore to move around.

Basically. They're also quick and can break through cover.

I use them to provide a different angle of attack so enemy troops are getting hit from at least one direction without cover. They're also handy against heroes. And, very importantly, you can run damaged squads up to heal and reinforce.

You have to micromanage them. Take your eyes off for 5 seconds and they'll die to a walker, a melee hero, melee units, a brightlance, etc etc.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So Goomba and I and some guy named Sladvan, whoever that is, just played a really fun 3v3.

I was pretty sure we were going to lose really, really badly, when we managed to hold on and make a big comeback.

You should watch the replay!

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    So Goomba and I and some guy named Sladvan, whoever that is, just played a really fun 3v3.

I was pretty sure we were going to lose really, really badly, when we managed to hold on and make a big comeback.

You should watch the replay!

We won despite my flailing wildly about.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sladvan wrote: »
    We won despite my flailing wildly about.
    It was the mines.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You can check out my Warhammer Online thread for OP ideas. Organization is key. :3

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8461999&postcount=1

*reads your avatar quote* Uhh ok.. *pets*

I played a single game and got slaughtered since it is so different from DoW1. Can somebody teach me how to play this new one?

oh Live name

The_Spaniard = SpanWolf

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I move that spaniard and lucky cynic never be allowed to converse on these forums.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I move that spaniard and lucky cynic never be allowed to converse on these forums.
    Second!

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The motion passed with a vote of 38203 to 2.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Second!
    I move that you shut up until you watch our amazing replay. >:(

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Motion denied

But the board will take watching the replay into consideration.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Second!
    I move that you shut up until you watch our amazing replay. >:(

The score was like 25 to 300! And then we came back and won! Pancake died a lot, it was marvelous!

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I really wish my laptop could run this game, so I could play it when not at home.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I have decided that I can not play this game, micro is impossible for now because of all the lag. Is there some sort of debugging or log software running for the beta? If not I doubt I will buy this game since for whatever reason my computer can not run this game. I could run CoH on medium but I can't even run this on low.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Motion denied

Basically it's how to play Tyranids right. :|

(I am so terrible at tyranids it's not even funny)

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Motion denied

If you aren't getting 2 kills and losing 88 units you are better than me.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That replay really shows a good fight, definitely quite a comeback.

Its also great because that replay really gloriously showcases the game.

The center bit of the battlefeild is absolutley wrecked by the end of the game, smouldering from multiple orbital bombardments, and all fucked up from tyranoformation. Definitely cool, and glad I saw it.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Motion denied

If you aren't getting 2 kills and losing 88 units you are better than me.
    I drag selected everyone, right clicked on heavy bolters and watched the blood splash around while hoping that I didn't lose too many things. Ripper swarms are probably my favorite tyranid unit because they're free.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You can check out my Warhammer Online thread for OP ideas. Organization is key. :3

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showpost.php?p=8461999&postcount=1

*reads your avatar quote* Uhh ok.. *pets*

D:

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm watching a lot of these replays and it seems a lot of "epic comeback" comments are actually referring to "I lost two units then retreated built another one and killed them".

Epic comebacks are "We had no points and 30vp points left, busted out of the base and crushed them.".

Whats the range on a tank anyway? I need to find out if the BVR is there and see how that plays.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think these guys were down to like 17 points to the enemies 300, and then turned it around.

This qualifies.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Motion denied

I thought you were the best player.

The carnifex spam was a bit much. I would of used more AG warriors. I play Lictor and Hive Tyrant, I've only used the Ravener a few times. But I find the "drop spore mines" ability to be wayyyyy too expensive. It's like 2/3rds the energy for a tyranoform, plus 300 req? Maybe against Orks it'd be worth it, but for anyone else I think purchasing them and maneuvering into position is a hundred times better. Also, I go with zoanthrope over Lictor for my tier 2 unit when playing Ravener, since he can sit back and protect it. And burrowing serves pretty much the same purpose as flesh hooks in enough situations.

Your burrowing was pretty good except that one time in the middle where you ended up alone in the middle of the space marines. It's way dangerous because of how fragile the tunnels are, so you get stuck back there with just the Ravener. I run the same risks with mistimed cloak attacks with the Lictor.

edit: Although I gotta say I found the enemys you were facing to be rubbish. Except the all gold marine.

Oh and while rippers are good at rushing boltors/shurikens, just remember that rushing your gaunts in as well is usually a bad idea, as two seconds from those units rips gaunts to shreds. Wait a second and run thme behind. Rippers seem miraculously durable, little buggers do absolutely no damage though.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    100 req for the spore mine drop. And I didn't know there were that many guys around that one tunnel because they were in the fog of war. Other than that, yeah.

But to be fair, it was my first game as Tyranids and Carniflex spam is too good to pass up.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Whoa what

It costs 300 for the Lictor. How did I not notice it was cheaper for Ravener? Or are you a lyin'?

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Whoa what

It costs 300 for the Lictor. How did I not notice it was cheaper for Ravener? Or are you a lyin'?
    I'm pretty sure it's only 100. I wasn't going to, but then it was 100 so I figured I might as well.

Maybe not, though, since I'm not the tyranid player!

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Nope I was just confused and mixing up the Lictor's second ability with the Raveners.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I'm 6-3 now, technically 8-3 but two wins I did early on didn't count for some reason. So I guess I'm doing okay? I can't feel too good about myself when the people I beat do things like let their Avatar sit on its ass while I pummel it with roks.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You know, I don't think knock back would be as broken if it threw people a little bit further away, being able to just about pin someone to the ground in one spot is rediculous at times.

Also, 3 space marine apothecaries all running around together is a huge HUGE :(

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    100 req for the spore mine drop. And I didn't know there were that many guys around that one tunnel because they were in the fog of war. Other than that, yeah.

But to be fair, it was my first game as Tyranids and Carniflex spam is too good to pass up.

Looks like you caught on there towards the end when going for that south VP, but the real power of Tyranoformation isn't the damage it deals on deployment, it's the buffs you get from your capillary towers.

When you drop one, that's where you should be fighting from, if at all possible.

Croak on
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh yeah this certainly does. It's the first come back I've seen with a real come back. This was awesome. Most epic game I've seen. I love how the middle map was terraformed so much it didn't look imperial at all anymore. More like tyranid hell.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Augh, I can't watch the replay without having DOW2 itself on the computer. Guess I will check it out when I get home. :/

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Croak wrote: »

Looks like you caught on there towards the end when going for that south VP, but the real power of Tyranoformation isn't the damage it deals on deployment, it's the buffs you get from your capillary towers.

When you drop one, that's where you should be fighting from, if at all possible.
    What are the buffs, anyway?

Also, I like that it's less offensive and more defensive. It's pretty cool, really.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.