As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DoW2 Beta: Eldar claims to have been raped by patch, gripping details inside.

• Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    hahah bitches dont know bout mah spaceelves

40k is basically just whf in space and most shit has a counterpart except for lizardmen

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Skaven are not very well represented in 40K either

But at least they have ogres <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    hahah bitches dont know bout mah spaceelves

40k is basically just whf in space and most shit has a counterpart except for lizardmen
    Noooooooot really. Not really at all, actually.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So, whenever I play 3v3s my game freezes like 1-2 minutes into the game. Anyone have any idea why? I can handle 1v1s just fine, but 3v3s cause freezes, and I can't do anything to fix it except restart my computer.

It might be similar to my problem....do you mean the game completely freezes, or do you mean you lag straight to hell to, the countdowns for all the other players appear, and it asks you to kickvote people just so you can play.

For the first kind, they just put up a a post on the beta forums yesterday saying to start the game, alt tab, go into task manager and set the proccessor affinity to a single core.

The other way with the network lag, still no fix that I can find.

I'm so glad I just googled this post up. I had the exact same problem. I thought my computer was melting.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Warhammer fantasy is about some human kingdom with a bunch of wizards where only the fire ones do anything and a few elves, dwarves and a bunch of crazy vikings. Warhammer 40k is about a galaxy spanning eternal war that has bioengineered super soldiers, an entire race hellbent on committing ritual suicide and billions upon billions of men and women dying to stave off an inevitable end to their entire race once their god-emperor dies.

Yeah, 40k is good shit.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Warhammer fantasy is about some human kingdom with a bunch of wizards where only the fire ones do anything and a few elves, dwarves and a bunch of crazy vikings. Warhammer 40k is about a galaxy spanning eternal war that has bioengineered super soldiers, an entire race hellbent on committing ritual suicide and billions upon billions of men and women dying to stave off an inevitable end to their entire race once their god-emperor dies.

Yeah, 40k is good shit.

WH40k is overwrought and annoyingly grimdark where every detail of the setting is designed make the player go "Hey, that's dark!"

Warhammer Fantasy is a much more interesting setting.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    if you like magic and swords - Fantasy is for you!

If you like space magic and chainswords - 40K is for you!

I for one love them both <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    my setting could beat up your setting

also I hope the patch makes using a warboss more fun. I wonder what the change to the boss pole in the patch notes actually means -- reducing suppression resistance from .25 to .5 is pretty hard to read. At least the warboss' melee won't kill your own sluggas with his melee-special.

kaleedity on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Remember, 40k started as a humorous satire of these elements.

Then somewhere along the line, it got serious. :?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fantasy is about EVERYONE FIGHTS EVERYONE FOREVERRRRRR!!!

40K is about EVERYONE FIGHTS EVERYONE FOREVERRRRRRR!!!!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    If you aren't a fan of chainswords, you're a horrible person

I mean seriously... chainsaw swords

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    40K needs a space variant of lizardmen

we simply need dinosaurs in space as well

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Fantasy is about EVERYONE FIGHTS EVERYONE FOREVERRRRRR!!!

40K is about EVERYONE FIGHTS EVERYONE FOREVERRRRRRR IN SPAAAAAAACE !!!!

Fixt.

admanb on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Actually in Fantasy the races hate one another much less. Humans, Wood Elves and Dwarves (for example) work together and are much more stable in their relationships than in 40k. In 40k, the Imperium hates EVERYONE and before the Horus Heresy the Emperor had almost figured out how to breach the Eldar webway gateways: so they could invade craftworlds straight through them.

The Eldar are lucky for Chaos corrupting various chapters, because without the Horus heresy they would have been soooooooo screwed.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Yeah, 40k is good shit.

WH40k is overwrought and annoyingly grimdark where every detail of the setting is designed make the player go "Hey, that's dark!"

Warhammer Fantasy is a much more interesting setting.

Thats pretty much why I love 40k, there are no heroes, just various shades of very dark grey justified by each races' version of morality.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the eldar are already screwed

They were screwed the moment they gave birth to a screwed up chaos god by screwing too much in screwed up ways

screewww

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Just started using Orks for the first time, man are they a fun change from SMs :D

The Tankbustas are particularly incredible. Usually I'd have a lot of trouble with dreads and whatever but their rockets are fucking amazing.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Is that really what the Emperor was doing anyway? I always assumed he wanted access to the webway so humanity could abandon its dependence on the warp and he could continue keeping the horrible truth from everyone. The Eldar aren't screwed so much as trying to survive long enough to reach critical mass of the infinity circuit so they can kill Slaanesh and redeem themselves.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Raslin wrote: »

I can not fathom how the chainsword came into existence because the very idea of it is so lacking, so without reason, so useless that I don't understand it's very being.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Airan wrote: »
    Just started using Orks for the first time, man are they a fun change from SMs :D

The Tankbustas are particularly incredible. Usually I'd have a lot of trouble with dreads and whatever but their rockets are fucking amazing.

Barrage is also amazingly useful, especially if you have 2 squads.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

I can not fathom how the chainsword came into existence because the very idea of it is so lacking, so without reason, so useless that I don't understand it's very being.

Someone saw the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and thought, "it would be so much easier for him to swing that chainsaw around if it had a hilt like a sword.'

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING CHAINSAW BUILT INTO A FUCKING SWORD, FUCK YEAH!

Is the main reason it came into existence. Rule of Cool ftw.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    orks have chainsaw axes

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    40K needs a space variant of lizardmen

we simply need dinosaurs in space as well

tmrrp6store.jpg

Raslin on

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is that really what the Emperor was doing anyway? I always assumed he wanted access to the webway so humanity could abandon its dependence on the warp and he could continue keeping the horrible truth from everyone. The Eldar aren't screwed so much as trying to survive long enough to reach critical mass of the infinity circuit so they can kill Slaanesh and redeem themselves.

What...What is the horrible truth?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

At one point in time, there was a planet that existed in the Dark Ages that was overcome with the warp, and was overtaken by Khorne.

Khorne, being totally fucking metal, decided what would be gorier, and more awesome, then swords that were also chainsaws? And so the chainsword was born.

That's the way I like to imagine it. I mean, no sane, rational person would choose a chainsword over a fucking power sword, which is pretty much a lightsaber.

Edit: The horrible truth is that the Warp is created by sentient being's who have the capacity to use Psyker type powers. And since the Old Ones made pretty much every one of the current species (Except the Tau, Necrons, and Tyranids. With the former being relative newcomers that have no warp signature, the Necrons pretty much being the antithesis of the warp, and the Tyranids being so mindless, and dedicated to a single purpose that they fuck up the warp something fierce around their fleets.) like that, including tinkering with the humans so that they'd be able to affect it too, everyone is fucked in the long-run, unless humanity can evolve to be immune to influences outside their reality.

Also, the Warp is easily influenced by the thoughts and emotions of said sentient beings. Henceforth, unless everyone acts as pure as an angel, the Warp tends to build up negative emotions over time, that give birth to "agendas" of a sort. Which leads to creatures like Khorne, Slaanesh, Tzneetch, and Nurgle being created. It also can apparently lead to a bunch of "minor" gods being born. Though they usually fall under the dominion of the previous four, since pretty much everyone's all grim and dark, and thus feeds the Warp with more negative energies.

The exception to that, in the current lore, is that humanity believes in the Emperor as a god. So technically, he is a god. A couple of the novels mention it too, usually indirectly. It's also how the Orks use weapons that should not even be able to hold together when they're touched. They work because they will them to work.

Basically, Chaos is nothing more then a reflection of humanity and the Eldar's dark-sides, and as such, will always be with them until they evolve a form of psyker that is impervious to it. Of course, that means that Chaos has actually already won, since the Imperium does everything it can to stunt the evolution and growth of psykers in 40K. Though, Chaos doesn't "win" if humanity succumbs to Chaos, since it would gain much more from a constant war, where there's a stock of humans who aren't going to engage in orgies of decay, violence, sex, or just trying to plot each other to death, since after all that was said and done, there'd be no humans left to "feed" them, either causing the current chaos gods to die, or go back into their primordial thoughtless states.

TL;DR version for those who don't want to read all that: The Warp is basically the ooze from Ghostbusters 2.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

BECAUSE ITS A FUCKING CHAINSAW BUILT INTO A FUCKING SWORD, FUCK YEAH!

Is the main reason it came into existence. Rule of Cool ftw.

Fixed.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You can't arm an entire army with power swords, unless your eldar and then you don't really have an army anyways, just a bunch of crying girls with lightsabers.

For the rank and file, you need something cheaper. Hence chainswords.

Raslin on

• Options
    edited February 2009
    Powerswords are expensive to produce and (in the 40th millenium) are typically priceless relics.

Any Forgeworld worker can assemble a chainsword off the manufactorim assembly line.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Remember, 40k started as a humorous satire of these elements.

Then somewhere along the line, it got serious. :?

The seriousness is part satirical.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

snip

Yeah, but remember, the Orkz don't use or shape the warp in any way. They use a different kinda energy.

Verr on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    they're not really elves

but basically they're elves yeah

Like the Not Spanish of RE4 and the Not Africans of RE5.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Powerswords are expensive to produce and (in the 40th millenium) are typically priceless relics.

Any Forgeworld worker can assemble a chainsword off the manufactorim assembly line.
    Really, is there anything a chainsaw can't improve?

FreddyD on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FreddyD wrote: »

Swords

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    rb-chainsaw-big.gif

Courtesy of Dr McNinja.

Verr on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My problem with the great chainsword debate is that it regularly overshadows the greatest weapon which is the powerfirst. Honorable mention goes to chainfist.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

A vagina.

admanb on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so uh

I tried the beta just now.

Nothing works. Like, nothing.

I can click on units, I think I am giving them orders, and little blue waypoint flashes come up on the terrain when I right click, but nothing will move and nothing will respond to fire orders, even on the ground.

Am I doing something wrong or is this thing just broken?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Swords

I wonder if you could stick a chainsaw on a hammer somehow?

Archonex on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    so uh

I tried the beta just now.

Nothing works. Like, nothing.

I can click on units, I think I am giving them orders, and little blue waypoint flashes come up on the terrain when I right click, but nothing will move and nothing will respond to fire orders, even on the ground.

Am I doing something wrong or is this thing just broken?
    It is lag, it happens a lot in the first five minutes of the game. After half the people in the game are kicked out it usually gets better.

Fizban140 on
This discussion has been closed.