As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DoW2 Beta: Eldar claims to have been raped by patch, gripping details inside.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    valtzy wrote: »
    so does anyone know a decent strategy versus apothecary as tyranids?

my only attempt was to tell him "heal spam more fag, you're getting nerfed soon"

angels of death is extremely strong and various squads of adrenal warriors don't do much to counter said heal spam

8 Termagants in range of a Tyrant or Warrior with a Venom Cannon will keep him perma-knocked down and unable to spam heal.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Why people pick the Warlock for anything is beyond me. Sucks donkey in melee no matter how you gear him and ranged is a joke beyond the knockdown. His psychic might abilities also got the shaft. I just don't see any advantages of going with him as opposed to the Exarch. The exarch will melee enemy bolter/cannon teams, fuck vehicles up with power blades and gets discounted Warp Spider squads of rape and haywires, while being way more survivable and maneuverable thanks to jumping. Plus warping Shuriken Cannons/Brightlances is hilarious.

I thought the Warlock was supposed to be the eldar "in your face hero" like the FC and the Warboss, yet all he does is give your entire army a speed buff every so often. Whoop.
    Maybe if you weren't using the lamest hero of the three you could see why the other two are good. It's like using a ravener and complaining that the hive tyrant sucks.

I'm still waiting for your point. The Warlock is comparatively worse in almost all ways. Why does me pointing this out throw your panties in a fit? Should I rather run around saying everything is completely balanced, play whatever hero you want because they're all great, when one of them is not? I manage just fine with the Farseer, she does excellent as support, has a decent synergy between her abilities and most of her gear isn't shit. The warlock though? Not so much.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My beef with 1v1 is that if you gotten slaughtered there's little to no chance of making a come back. The economy is base on map control and once you lose control, you have no economy. Game over.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why can't they include a single tutorial mission in betas like this? It's not like a traditional RTS so some people like me can get wildly lost the first time out. They want me to test the game, but if I'm going to get massacered because I don't even know how to play I'd rather not play and fuck up my rankings.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That is when you create a skirmish game with an AI and get familiar with the game instead

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The rankings are gonna get reset when the game comes out, so they don't particularly matter.

Anyway I am still sitting in vent if anyone wants to just experiment with different units.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    My beef with 1v1 is that if you gotten slaughtered there's little to no chance of making a come back. The economy is base on map control and once you lose control, you have no economy. Game over.

This is true of power, but not requisition. You have virtually the same req income with or without map control.

For instance, at the end of an 8 minute long game in which one player never captures any points he still earns 2450 requisition to the dominant player's 2600.

kedinik on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why people pick the Warlock for anything is beyond me. Sucks donkey in melee no matter how you gear him and ranged is a joke beyond the knockdown. His psychic might abilities also got the shaft. I just don't see any advantages of going with him as opposed to the Exarch. The exarch will melee enemy bolter/cannon teams, fuck vehicles up with power blades and gets discounted Warp Spider squads of rape and haywires, while being way more survivable and maneuverable thanks to jumping. Plus warping Shuriken Cannons/Brightlances is hilarious.

I thought the Warlock was supposed to be the eldar "in your face hero" like the FC and the Warboss, yet all he does is give your entire army a speed buff every so often. Whoop.
    Maybe if you weren't using the lamest hero of the three you could see why the other two are good. It's like using a ravener and complaining that the hive tyrant sucks.

I'm still waiting for your point. The Warlock is comparatively worse in almost all ways. Why does me pointing this out throw your panties in a fit? Should I rather run around saying everything is completely balanced, play whatever hero you want because they're all great, when one of them is not? I manage just fine with the Farseer, she does excellent as support, has a decent synergy between her abilities and most of her gear isn't shit. The warlock though? Not so much.
    Is the Exarch the hero with an optional plasma whip upgrade that does knockback in a 360 degree radius? It's pretty useful for fighting off sluggas. If that is the case then that would make the Exarch even better for melee than the Warlock, making the Warlock redundant.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kedinik wrote: »

This is true of power, but not requisition. You have virtually the same req income with or without map control.

For instance, at the end of an 8 minute long game in which one player never captures any points he still earns 2450 requisition to the dominant player's 2600.

People keep saying this but I am wondering, is the squad tax static or a percentage?

Say for example that you earn 300 from your base and control five req points on the map for an additional 100. If owning 60 cap worth of soldiers costs 50% of your req income then the difference is fairly small, 150 vs 200. If the req cost of 60 cap worth of soldiers is 200 req though, the difference is suddenly 100 vs 200, which would make map control a great help in keeping a superior force.

Anyone know the formula?

Edit: Just kicked a rank 22 orc mech in a head to head game as tyranids. Yay!

Vic on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone around for 1v1?

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    FreddyD wrote: »

Is the Exarch the hero with an optional plasma whip upgrade that does knockback in a 360 degree radius? It's pretty useful for fighting off sluggas. If that is the case then that would make the Exarch even better for melee than the Warlock, making the Warlock redundant.

Also the warlock has an AOE slash that does ridiculous damage and can be used while knocked down. 100 req 20 power.

Warp throw solves pretty much any situation. His lightning attack osoks spore mines (thank god), his merciless witchblade is just like the kustom shoota in knockdown chaining but it gives him energy on each attack. Then his armor upgrades are rather incredible, giving a free damage shield, infiltrating nearby troops, or by just turning him invincible. He's also one of the stronger melee damage fighters.. even having a complete 360 aoe special attack just by default. Everyone loves that! I switch frequently between the farseer and warlock because they both have significant strengths.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Many times you will be forced to wait until late T2/T3 before buying hero wargear. The hero has to be able to hold his own and be useful without al 300/100 spending.

Vic on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009

Aside from what Kinder said, my point is that you play your hero a certain way and it's amazingly dense of you to say that the warlock isn't any good because it doesn't work like the warp spider. Amazingly.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I can't speak for other races, but every tyranid commander can do amazing things if used right. I would like to think the same of the other commanders.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Vic wrote: »
    Many times you will be forced to wait until late T2/T3 before buying hero wargear. The hero has to be able to hold his own and be useful without al 300/100 spending.

This is also not true. The cheap, inexpensive wargear upgrades are typically the best choices and are perfectly viable for T1 purchase. This includes the power axe for the Apothecary, extra equipment for Kommando, kustom shoota for the Warboss, and the warp gloves for the Warlock.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So i've been playing around with the nids and am really enjoying them. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned them, but ripper swarms are godamn amazing. They will just tie up anything especially in T1 for awhile, this is especially useful in team games allowing your allies (like SM or Eldar) to just fuck everyone up who has the rippers all over them. It's hilarious, they can't do shit.

Also for T2 and end game I've had great luck with terms and warriors with venom cannons in a huge swarm just killing everything in their path. Using Hive Tyrant(hive ability/improved synapse) or Lictor alpha(pheremones) you can keep your swarms kicken ass all day long. I never use the carnifex much I usually go for that other squad which name escapes me to provide yet another synapse to my ranged death swarm. or melee.. cause nids are so awesome you can just go ranged or melee with all the cool units.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Raslin, do you think Hive Tyrants and Ravener Alphas can be as useful as the Lictor Alpha for mirror matches? In my limited experience, flesh hooks seem to give a substantial early game advantage.

kedinik on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Zzulu wrote: »
    That is when you create a skirmish game with an AI and get familiar with the game instead

Thanks, that was a good idea.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mirror matches? You mean nids vs nids?

If thats the case, definitely. The lictor is best for commander kills and taking out suppression weapons. BS warriors aren't that big of a deal in nid vs nid, as your units are generally fast enough to dodge it and attack the BS warrior, and commander kills aren't a huge deal.

Brood nest is huge in nids vs nids. If your enemy isn't tyrant especially, as you can bleed his gaunts early game. Getting the health bonus T2 also gives you a large advantage in big battles T2 and on.

Raveners use in nids vs nids is best for spore mines. Pop a tunnel behind his forces, where he can't see, and let out a spore mine. Have one on your side too. Send them both in. He'll either run into the one in the back, or shoot the one in the front. Either way, he's loosing a ton of gaunts.

Raslin on

• Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so this bug where you're on a team and the game starts granting you autovictory but in reality you're actually dropped from a game for no explained reason....

is quite annoying.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    are there any opinions on the apothecary's bolter upgrade?

kaleedity on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kedinik wrote: »
    valtzy wrote: »
    so does anyone know a decent strategy versus apothecary as tyranids?

my only attempt was to tell him "heal spam more fag, you're getting nerfed soon"

angels of death is extremely strong and various squads of adrenal warriors don't do much to counter said heal spam

8 Termagants in range of a Tyrant or Warrior with a Venom Cannon will keep him perma-knocked down and unable to spam heal.

I was going to suggest something similar too--if you get a couple squads of Termagaunts and use them to focus fire individual squads while your melee swarm ties up his whole force in melee, you'll see results. You just have to remember that individual SM units are extremely tough compared to your individual units, and micro accordingly. Focus on one squad at a time, preferably focusing on the squads that are low on health (scouts, bolter teams) or the squads that are the most dangerous to your units on the field.

Obviously this is all easier said than done, but if you can keep your cool when the shooting starts and focus on killing squads you might see results.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    kaleedity wrote: »
    are there any opinions on the apothecary's bolter upgrade?

I've used it, but I don't think it's much of a replacement for the melee upgrades.

As SM I always feel like I'm at a lack for melee units to tie up my enemy, so I like to keep my commander set to melee as effectively as possible. That might just be personal preference, but I hate having to buy an Assault squad when I'd rather have something else, just because I need melee units to keep heat off my damage dealers.

Captain K on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait. . .

So the Eldar are elves?

I never knew that, having played DoW1 and that being my main basis of knowledge of the universe. (Yes I'm a 40K newb).

But elves? Ugh. Why oh why did they have to unmask the psychic chick and ruin my glorious bliss that I had finally found a universe that I like that's free from elves.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    How do you take screenshots in this game?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    They're not elves

Thats like calling orks orcs

Or squats gnomes

Raslin on

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Wait. . .

So the Eldar are elves?

I never knew that, having played DoW1 and that being my main basis of knowledge of the universe. (Yes I'm a 40K newb).

But elves? Ugh. Why oh why did they have to unmask the psychic chick and ruin my glorious bliss that I had finally found a universe that I like that's free from elves.

what did you expect

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    they're not really elves

but basically they're elves yeah

Captain K on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Wait. . .

So the Eldar are elves?

what did you expect
    Not elves, apparently.

Hoz on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait. . .

So the Eldar are elves?

You have to admit though, they're pretty badass for elves.
    eldarbattlerw4.jpg

I am, however, shocked someone could go that long without noticing. Could've swore they had some unhelmed guys in DoW 1.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    Wait. . .

So the Eldar are elves?

what did you expect

Well, firstly, I didn't expect them to be elves. I assumed that their faces were their masks. I didn't realize they were masks. I figured they looked like that because everyone always says Blizzard ripped off 40K for Starcraft, so I figured they ripped the protoss off of the eldar.

Edit: To clarify, I guess I thought the Eldar were some sort of Mystical Bio-Android race.

Please dear god don't tell me the protoss are elves under their masks.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    They're not elves

Thats like calling orks orcs

Or squats gnomes

What's a Squat?

ripsquatsvj5.jpg
    They're Dwarfs anyways

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The eldar aren't elves because the eldar are fallible.

Elves never fuck up.

The eldar made a chaos god on accident.

Maticore on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait. . .

So the Eldar are elves?

"Psychic chick"? Really? Realllly?

Like, aside from the rest of that, you... you.

Edit: There are no un-helmeted Eldar in DoW1, but come on. Come on.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The bio android thing is pretty close what with the wraithlords and stuff.

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    We had a pretty close 3v3 there, not quite as epic as the one posted earlier but we were down 55-500 and came back to win it.

Wasn't able to save the replay though, even though I did what it said in the op.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sladvan wrote: »
    The bio android thing is pretty close what with the wraithlords and stuff.

Not really, that's more like dreds or something.

When Eldar die their souls are sometimes implanted in a wraithlord/wraith guard, which are weaved out of organic matter like bone.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Any of you idiots looking for ranked 3v3?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    FreddyD wrote: »

Also the warlock has an AOE slash that does ridiculous damage and can be used while knocked down. 100 req 20 power.

Warp throw solves pretty much any situation. His lightning attack osoks spore mines (thank god), his merciless witchblade is just like the kustom shoota in knockdown chaining but it gives him energy on each attack. Then his armor upgrades are rather incredible, giving a free damage shield, infiltrating nearby troops, or by just turning him invincible. He's also one of the stronger melee damage fighters.. even having a complete 360 aoe special attack just by default. Everyone loves that! I switch frequently between the farseer and warlock because they both have significant strengths.
    Wait, don't you mean Exarch? I'm confused. When is the DoW2 strat guide coming out anyway? I can't keep all this information in my head.

Also, does the game support macros? It's just as fast as World in Conflict, which added macros in a recent patch. They are particularly useful for ordering quick reinforcements while still micromanaging the frontlines. If not then I guess I'll have to break out my speedpad, if it isn't banned.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The warlock's T3 melee upgrade gives him a huge aoe damage/knockdown. The Exarch gets an upgraded spinner that causes knockdown.

Rami on
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.