As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DoW2 Beta: Eldar claims to have been raped by patch, gripping details inside.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Croak wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    100 req for the spore mine drop. And I didn't know there were that many guys around that one tunnel because they were in the fog of war. Other than that, yeah.

But to be fair, it was my first game as Tyranids and Carniflex spam is too good to pass up.

Looks like you caught on there towards the end when going for that south VP, but the real power of Tyranoformation isn't the damage it deals on deployment, it's the buffs you get from your capillary towers.

When you drop one, that's where you should be fighting from, if at all possible.

This is a bold statement.

Captain K on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So croak, you're going to fix the kustom shoota for the warboss right?

Because currently it takes 60 seconds to retreat my force commander.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Furst 'ere, den dere. Make up yerz mind alreddy!!

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess I've just never tried, but laying a Tyrannoformation on top of my own guys won't hurt them?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That replay was epic!

nice one

Sonork on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So Eldar are pretty cool, definately my favorite race next to Space Marines. Been using the Farseer for a few games but I hardly ever use her abilities, gonna try the Warlock a bit.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, just watched the replay you posted Pancake. That game was excellent!

Captain K on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I guess I've just never tried, but laying a Tyrannoformation on top of my own guys won't hurt them?

It will.

admanb on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Then what bonus? Like, after they're spawned they confer some type of bonus to my troops?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Then what bonus? Like, after they're spawned they confer some type of bonus to my troops?

Correct. The spiny things buff units around them. No idea what the radius is though (or what the buffs are, or how to tell if they're working.)

admanb on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    admanb wrote: »

Correct. The spiny things buff units around them. No idea what the radius is though (or what the buffs are, or how to tell if they're working.)

Sounds convenient.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    100 req for the spore mine drop. And I didn't know there were that many guys around that one tunnel because they were in the fog of war. Other than that, yeah.

But to be fair, it was my first game as Tyranids and Carniflex spam is too good to pass up.

Looks like you caught on there towards the end when going for that south VP, but the real power of Tyranoformation isn't the damage it deals on deployment, it's the buffs you get from your capillary towers.

When you drop one, that's where you should be fighting from, if at all possible.
    wikipedian_protester.png
    This is a great game but it's seriously lacking in accessibility. If you could learn everything there was to know about units and abilities in the game, from the interface or a tutorial it would be just fine, but when I had to read a forum post to know how to play tyrannids, there's a problem. [tiny]olol tag abuse?[/tiny]

One thing I would love is the tooltips to list every weapon's damage against each type of target so I know how to use the unit after the upgrade, such as whether it's worthwhile to attack a unit they're not strong against or if they might as well be firing gerbils. It would be best if you could turn all the detailed information on while you're learning the game, and then you could turn them off once you know what they do, so it wouldn't cover a quarter of the screen.

Woggle on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    at least the tyrannoform tooltip says it buffs units

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woggle wrote: »

wikipedian_protester.png
    This is a great game but it's seriously lacking in accessibility. If you could learn everything there was to know about units and abilities in the game, from the interface or a tutorial it would be just fine, but when I had to read a forum post to know how to play tyrannids, there's a problem. [tiny]olol tag abuse?[/tiny]

One thing I would love is the tooltips to list every weapon's damage against each type of target so I know how to use the unit after the upgrade, such as whether it's worthwhile to attack a unit they're not strong against or if they might as well be firing gerbils. It would be best if you could turn all the detailed information on while you're learning the game, and then you could turn them off once you know what they do, so it wouldn't cover a quarter of the screen.

Normally this is where someone would snarkily tell you to rtfm or play through single player so you can get the hang of it.

But this is not a released game. It's not evena demo. It's a multiplayer beta. And has any RTS game ever listed every weapons damage against every target as an in-game tool? In a multiplayer beta phase no less?

I saw someone mention the single player campaign is Space Marine only. Is that true? I'm atrocious at multiplayer and I was really looking forward to an Ork/Tyranid campaigns. :(

Any word on campaign length?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah it's just the Space Marines, like in the original DoW

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And its going to be awesome! Anyone for a 3v3? I want to practice my ga - I mean Eldar.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    JivesJives Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone fancy a few games RIGHT NOW?

Jives on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man so now that I've installed GfWL I can't get Steam to start up. What the hell.

Kelor on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WCIII listed every units damage and armour type, you knew exactly what you were getting. I wish more RTS devs would do that.

How do you save/watch replays? The option is always greyed out to me. I tried just running the replay from desktop and it launched the game but didn't show the replay.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Rami wrote: »
    WCIII listed every units damage and armour type, you knew exactly what you were getting. I wish more RTS devs would do that.

How do you save/watch replays? The option is always greyed out to me. I tried just running the replay from desktop and it launched the game but didn't show the replay.

It's in the OP, you want to go to Game History and the replays tab, then double click on the replay you want to see.

and if you want to save one, before your next match you need to rename the temp.rec file in My Documents/My Games/Dawn of War 2 Beta/Playback folder.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WoggleWoggle OheoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Woggle wrote: »

wikipedian_protester.png

Normally this is where someone would snarkily tell you to rtfm or play through single player so you can get the hang of it.

But this is not a released game. It's not evena demo. It's a multiplayer beta. And has any RTS game ever listed every weapons damage against every target as an in-game tool? In a multiplayer beta phase no less?

I saw someone mention the single player campaign is Space Marine only. Is that true? I'm atrocious at multiplayer and I was really looking forward to an Ork/Tyranid campaigns. :(

Any word on campaign length?

For other kinds of games I'd agree with you, for instance Halo 3 or something. But this is an RTS. A manual with that kind of detailed information would be obsolete with the first balancing patch, and as you mention the single player will only teach you how to play space marines.

I'm pretty sure the point of an open multiplayer beta is to bang on the game and try to break it in as many ways as possible, such as finding bugs or balance problems. Would you rather people find imbalanced strategies during the beta, after which our statistics will probably be erased, or after it's released? Either way, in order to find balance problems you have to know how the units and upgrades work, like for instance someone said the Ravener Alpha's ranged damage synapse upgrade actually stacks with the warrior's, which may or may not be a problem depending on the actual bonus percentage. It could even be the other way around of the bonus not being worth the resources it costs, but you have no idea one way or the other.

If you ask for the world and you only get half of it, that's still a damn lot more than nothing. So if asking for detailed damage against every unit type only results in the tooltip listing the most important ones, such as the types at the extreme where they do either lots or very little damage, it's still better than only a vague description that it's good at one thing.

As to it being representative of the game, this close to the release and given that it's already gone gold, it's basically what you're going to get out of the box if you don't patch it (if not patching's possible).

Woggle on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with 3v3. It takes me forever to get a game. Part of the problem, I guess, is I rarely have the patience to find people in vent to play with. Everyone is always already playing.

Edit: However, that doesn't chance that I don't see what's better about it. Usually it's just an exercise in frustration as I wonder why my teammates take those objectives, when the other ones closer to their base, etc. I don't see the added strategy.

See, the thing with playing any sort of team game is that it'll suck if your teammates do. Which is why we get on vent and we do not play until we have 3 peeps. All your negative comments about 3v3s? They hinge on your teammates being retarded.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with 3v3. It takes me forever to get a game. Part of the problem, I guess, is I rarely have the patience to find people in vent to play with. Everyone is always already playing.

Edit: However, that doesn't chance that I don't see what's better about it. Usually it's just an exercise in frustration as I wonder why my teammates take those objectives, when the other ones closer to their base, etc. I don't see the added strategy.

See, the thing with playing any sort of team game is that it'll suck if your teammates do. Which is why we get on vent and we do not play until we have 3 peeps. All your negative comments about 3v3s? They hinge on your teammates being retarded.

It normally does not take that long to find 2 other PA folks to play with, and it is SO much better to have people you know.

A-Puck on
    Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's pretty much like running MMOs with random people. You could rather kick yourself in the balls and save yourself a lot of time.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm relatively new to using the PA vent, but I've never had a problem finding a 3v3 group to play with. If noone is available when I log on, I just hop in my own channel and play some 1v1/watch demos until someone comes in to invite me.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    valtzyvaltzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    so does anyone know a decent strategy versus apothecary as tyranids?

my only attempt was to tell him "heal spam more fag, you're getting nerfed soon"

angels of death is extremely strong and various squads of adrenal warriors don't do much to counter said heal spam

valtzy on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The missile attachment for the terminators is pretty sweet, they're like little Calliopes.

I can't wait for my new computer so I can actually play with other people.

Fats on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The missle attachment to the terminators is nearly useless.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Also God damnit OP person for not putting the tentative patch notes in the OP.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just did some great 3v3 games with PA people, getting a Banshee squad to level 4 was my high point and they do excessive rape. I can understand they're reducing the range of the suppression shout though, that thing fucks up Tyranid swarms something fierce.

I can't decide if I like the Warlock or Farseer best though, the good Farseer ability come at Tier 3 (Timestop) but being able to toss a gate down behind enemy lines and send Banshee's through to rape power generators (giving them xp) is invaluable. I hardly ever use Rangers but I guess they could serve the same purpose saving me Zeal and letting me go more offensive with a Warlock but I dunno. Can experienced Eldar players give me some pro-cons? I get the feeling I'm playing the Warlock wrong but I can't tell how.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2009
    I understand the appeal of 3v3, but why do people hate on 1v1 so much? It's that jungle map, isn't it?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That and things are generally balanced with 3v3 in mind.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Just did some great 3v3 games with PA people, getting a Banshee squad to level 4 was my high point and they do excessive rape. I can understand they're reducing the range of the suppression shout though, that thing fucks up Tyranid swarms something fierce.

I can't decide if I like the Warlock or Farseer best though, the good Farseer ability come at Tier 3 (Timestop) but being able to toss a gate down behind enemy lines and send Banshee's through to rape power generators (giving them xp) is invaluable. I hardly ever use Rangers but I guess they could serve the same purpose saving me Zeal and letting me go more offensive with a Warlock but I dunno. Can experienced Eldar players give me some pro-cons? I get the feeling I'm playing the Warlock wrong but I can't tell how.
    Every Eldar hero can make webway gates.

All I know about the warlock is that he has warp throw, that nice instant AoE, ranged knockdown, and the last armor piece is really good.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I like that 3v3 city map. Specifically, I like my tyranid team mates who swamp the map leaving me to spend all my req on shuriken platform after shuriken platform so I can cover our VPs from all possible angles and then sit aroud waiting for someone to dare attack so I can jump my banshees in as soon as they're suppressed.

Also you guys were right about the Farseer, guide and doom are a pretty lethal combo. I like the warlock now too, so basically the WS Exarch is the worst.

Edit: The worst thing about the exarch is most of his wargear sounds really cool and useful and then when you try it you realise it's rubbish, or at least so situational it isn't really worth it.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009

All I know about the warlock is that he has warp throw, that nice instant AoE, ranged knockdown, and the last armor piece is really good.

Only the Farseer has Farsight, which will let you drop gates anywhere, but its expensive. Farseer buffs are really good but I find it hard to really use them effectively in combat since I'm not good at micro. But I'll try the Warlock more and use Rangers to sneak gates into less trafficked placed I guess.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyone want to get on and play some none competitive 1v1, I think it would be fun to just experiment with all the different units in a bunch of different situations.

On vent of course

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Only the Farseer has Farsight, which will let you drop gates anywhere, but its expensive. Farseer buffs are really good but I find it hard to really use them effectively in combat since I'm not good at micro. But I'll try the Warlock more and use Rangers to sneak gates into less trafficked placed I guess.

Don't feel intimidated by micro, guide is pretty easy to use, and it has a short cooldown.

So whenever you're in an important firefight, just hit 1, hit G, then click on a ranged squad to give them a massive boost. If you take the witchblade upgrade, hit 1, hit D, then click on the enemy you want to kill.

Of course your Farseer will need to be in or around that fight as well.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why people pick the Warlock for anything is beyond me. Sucks donkey in melee no matter how you gear him and ranged is a joke beyond the knockdown. His psychic might abilities also got the shaft. I just don't see any advantages of going with him as opposed to the Exarch. The exarch will melee enemy bolter/cannon teams, fuck vehicles up with power blades and gets discounted Warp Spider squads of rape and haywires, while being way more survivable and maneuverable thanks to jumping. Plus warping Shuriken Cannons/Brightlances is hilarious.

I thought the Warlock was supposed to be the eldar "in your face hero" like the FC and the Warboss, yet all he does is give your entire army a speed buff every so often. Whoop.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Why people pick the Warlock for anything is beyond me. Sucks donkey in melee no matter how you gear him and ranged is a joke beyond the knockdown. His psychic might abilities also got the shaft. I just don't see any advantages of going with him as opposed to the Exarch. The exarch will melee enemy bolter/cannon teams, fuck vehicles up with power blades and gets discounted Warp Spider squads of rape and haywires, while being way more survivable and maneuverable thanks to jumping. Plus warping Shuriken Cannons/Brightlances is hilarious.

I thought the Warlock was supposed to be the eldar "in your face hero" like the FC and the Warboss, yet all he does is give your entire army a speed buff every so often. Whoop.
    Maybe if you weren't using the lamest hero of the three you could see why the other two are good. It's like using a ravener and complaining that the hive tyrant sucks.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well I just watched the two 3v3 replays posted yesterday. Goomba, Panny and Slad, that was an impressive come from behind victory. I was watching the clock ticking down wondering how you were going to manage to pull it off, and with about 7 minutes left you just obliterated them and kept them bottled up.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.