Options

DoW2 Beta: Eldar claims to have been raped by patch, gripping details inside.

• Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Archonex wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Powerswords are expensive to produce and (in the 40th millenium) are typically priceless relics.

Any Forgeworld worker can assemble a chainsword off the manufactorim assembly line.
    Really, is there anything a chainsaw can't improve?

Swords

I wonder if you could stick a chainsaw on a hammer somehow?

Just cover the striking surface in several chainsaw belts.

Would work similar to the chainfist I bet.

Da mekboyz'll get raiught on dat boss!

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Verr wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    If you aren't a fan of chainswords, you're a horrible person

I mean seriously... chainsaw swords
    I can not fathom how the chainsword came into existence because the very idea of it is so lacking, so without reason, so useless that I don't understand it's very being.
    snip

Yeah, but remember, the Orkz don't use or shape the warp in any way. They use a different kinda energy.

So wrong it hurts

The orks spawned two gods in the warp. Ever heard of a little duo called Gork & Mork?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I can not fathom how the chainsword came into existence because the very idea of it is so lacking, so without reason, so useless that I don't understand it's very being.
    snip

Yeah, but remember, the Orkz don't use or shape the warp in any way. They use a different kinda energy.

So wrong it hurts

The orks spawned two gods in the warp. Ever heard of a little duo called Gork & Mork?

Yeah dude, Gork and Mork team up on the other chaos gods, beat them up and make fun of them. They're like the bullies of the Warp.

SJ on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SJ wrote: »

snip

So wrong it hurts

Yeah dude, Gork and Mork team up on the other chaos gods, beat them up and make fun of them. They're like the bullies of the Warp.

So, tell me. Which of them is the one that's brutally cunning, and which one is cunningly brutal?

Archonex on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

snip

So wrong it hurts

So, tell me. Which of them is the one that's brutally cunning, and which one is cunningly brutal?

Gork, and mork. In that order. Any good ork knows that.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Any iddiot nowz, datz a stoopid qwestun ter ask, and if yer sittin' 'round finkin about it den da boyz iz gonna sneak up and doff da whole lot o' ya when yer ain'tz watchin, herr herr.

SJ on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Any iddiot nowz, datz a stoopid qwestun ter ask, and if yer sittin' 'round finkin about it den da boyz iz gonna sneak up and doff da whole lot o' ya when yer ain'tz watchin, herr herr.

Ork_flowchart.png

Anyone want to get some superbowl games in?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No, its Mork den Gork ya git! Anyone wut seyz otherwise iz gonna get a crumpin'.

(seriously, ever want some orks to start fighting eachother, ask this question)

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't know if it was a smart idea, but I just ran out and captured points with my scouts, didn't buy or upgrade anything, waited till I got my stronghold to level 3, then bought a tank and just steamrolled enemy infantry. While the tank was going to town I trained a couple squads and upgraded them and mopped up.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

No, its Mork den Gork ya git! Anyone wut seyz otherwise iz gonna get a crumpin'.

(seriously, ever want some orks to start fighting eachother, ask this question)

It's like the logical paradox of Orks.

Pretty sure that they could just send a lone guardsman down to ask a Warboss this question, and there wouldn't be anything left of the Ork's (Or the planet.) by sundown.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It still makes me sad they used the Necrons to kill off the population of Angeles/GorkaMorka. :(

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    What...What is the horrible truth?

During the Great Crusade the Emperor had basicly convinced humanity that the only forces in the universe were light and gravity. The Emperium meant to spread secular truth and science across the universe to liberate humanity from the shackles of superstition and pagan beliefs. Isolated cases of demonic possession were explained by the corrupting influence of the warp due to it reflecting emotions but it was accepted that no concious entities existed. One case is a space marine from Horus's legion who was possessed by Samus, a demon an offshoot human society believed in, Horus explained to his captain that the warp influenced the marine but "Samus" was just how it manifested because the marine had been influenced by enemy propaganda. The Emperor kept the truth about the warp from humanity in order to protect them, and generally anyone who wasn't a psyker weren't interested in the warp.

The fact that humanity worships the Emperor as a god is the greatest tragedy of all in the 40k universe :P

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It still makes me sad they used the Necrons to kill off the population of Angeles/GorkaMorka. :(

WHAT

What are you talking about. This has not happened. D:

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Who do you think were in the pyramids from DiggaNob?

They woke up. :(

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I know that. But they haven't killed everyone off. Not yet anyway :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    C'mon, its apparently a Necron tomb world. Deyz all dead soon. Unless GorkaMorka is finally finished.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Four squads of shotgunning squads is lol

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    1v1 anyone?

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Is that really what the Emperor was doing anyway? I always assumed he wanted access to the webway so humanity could abandon its dependence on the warp and he could continue keeping the horrible truth from everyone. The Eldar aren't screwed so much as trying to survive long enough to reach critical mass of the infinity circuit so they can kill Slaanesh and redeem themselves.

What...What is the horrible truth?

That humans really are Cylons.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    HenryVapeHenryVape Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The chainsword is the one thing that has bothered me more than anything else in 40K in the 9 years ive been into the hobby. Why is the guy with the chainsword not anymore lethal than the guy with the switchknife or stick? wouldnt a normal human being end up losing control and the grip on his chainsword whenever he hit something with the least bit of resistance? how much fuel is there in a chainsword, there cant be much since the hilt is so small. Can you duel with chainswords, or even parry? Did the eldar invent the chainsword, and everyone aped after them, or did the humans or orks?

Im not sure im ever going to be albe to play this game right, i loose all control in any engagement fast, and end up losing alot of my squads due to not pulling out fast enough. Have had some badass moments despite that, like having to wraithlords sweeping away all opposition after hitting my oponents in the back, and watching my warlock fling a force commander into a wall, and said force commander crumpling like a sack.

And its totally Gork that is cunningly brutal and mork that is brutally cunning.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
    Ceterum autem censeo, Carthaginem esse delendam
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    HenryVape wrote: »
    The chainsword is the one thing that has bothered me more than anything else in 40K in the 9 years ive been into the hobby. Why is the guy with the chainsword not anymore lethal than the guy with the switchknife or stick? wouldnt a normal human being end up losing control and the grip on his chainsword whenever he hit something with the least bit of resistance? how much fuel is there in a chainsword, there cant be much since the hilt is so small. Can you duel with chainswords, or even parry? Did the eldar invent the chainsword, and everyone aped after them, or did the humans or orks?

Im not sure im ever going to be albe to play this game right, i loose all control in any engagement fast, and end up losing alot of my squads due to not pulling out fast enough. Have had some badass moments despite that, like having to wraithlords sweeping away all opposition after hitting my oponents in the back, and watching my warlock fling a force commander into a wall, and said force commander crumpling like a sack.

And its totally Gork that is cunningly brutal and mork that is brutally cunning.

Sci-fi is prone to unrealistic and often impractical weapons, you know. It's best not to question it.

See lightsaber and blaster pistol. Blasters.. those lasers move so slowly you can track them with the human eye. Why not bullets? Who cares. Sci-fi.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Or laser gun.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BUT WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Because they can give the answer "Well, it works because of something that hasn't been discovered yet!"

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I cant, my mind demands answers for questions like this, during the nights when these questions keeps me awake i have been entertaining the idea of buying some chainsaws and doing some research into just how this would work. Lightsabers have for some reason never troubled me in the same way, they are swords made of laser. And are wielded by spaceninjas that can choke you dead withouth touching you, or use their minds to make you believe you are a small bantha.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

I'm no expert on 40k lore but I'm fairly certain humans invented the chainsword. Normal humans don't use chainswords, only space marines and big ass orks do. Neither would have a problem holding onto one. This is the future, chainswords probably run off of a plasma cell battery or something. You can parry with the back end of a chainsword, which I imagine is the whole reason why there is a cover over the back. As far as I know the guy with the chainsword is far more lethal in open melee than the guy with the switchknife or stick (unless you are talking about Eldar versions of those).

Accualt on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looking for one more for a 3v3 game of all PA people.

rts on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Accualt wrote: »

I'm no expert on 40k lore but I'm fairly certain humans invented the chainsword. Normal humans don't use chainswords, only space marines and big ass orks do. Neither would have a problem holding onto one. This is the future, chainswords probably run off of a plasma cell battery or something. You can parry with the back end of a chainsword, which I imagine is the whole reason why there is a cover over the back. As far as I know the guy with the chainsword is far more lethal in open melee than the guy with the switchknife or stick (unless you are talking about Eldar versions of those).

plenty of IG officers use chainswords

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I cant, my mind demands answers for questions like this, during the nights when these questions keeps me awake i have been entertaining the idea of buying some chainsaws and doing some research into just how this would work. Lightsabers have for some reason never troubled me in the same way, they are swords made of laser. And are wielded by spaceninjas that can choke you dead withouth touching you, or use their minds to make you believe you are a small bantha.

Accually, it probably isn't lasers, but superheated plasma, as it would explain it's cutting abilities(it's really hot), why it would be "contained" within a small area (magnetic field), and why it would block/deflect another lightsaber (magnetic fields repel each other)

...only question is why turning one on doesn't incenerate everything in the room, which is what would happened if you had plasma hot enough to cut thru everything like that.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

But why isnt the guy with the chainsword more lethal in the game?
    And normal humans do use chainswords, the cadian box comes with chainswords for the seregants, and the officer models are equpped with em.
    And striking scorpions and autarch are all using them amongst the eldar.
    I guess they could be using the backend to parry, though i cant help thinking that would be king of akward in combat.

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Foefaller wrote: »

Accually, it probably isn't lasers, but superheated plasma, as it would explain it's cutting abilities(it's really hot), why it would be "contained" within a small area (magnetic field), and why it would block/deflect another lightsaber (magnetic fields repel each other)

...only question is why turning one on doesn't incenerate everything in the room, which is what would happened if you had plasma hot enough to cut thru everything like that.

And how it is projected from a lightsaber hilt.

History channel special go.

Kinderparty on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The Ork Warboss has a chain axe.

If anyone is wondering.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, plasma is simply a state of matter, so it could be that a lightsaber encapsulates a pocket of air in an field and supercharges in so it becomes plasma.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Beated.. I was going to say fuel cell myself.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The Ork Warboss has a chain axe.

If anyone is wondering.

So do Khorne Berserkers ...

- and they even get an armor penetration bonus for it! Whoo, one mystery solved.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are you guys seriously arguing about the science behind a chainsword.

In a setting with soccer hooligans that grow from spores and spaceship engines that open portals to hell when they are damaged.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Well, plasma is simply a state of matter, so it could be that a lightsaber encapsulates a pocket of air in an field and supercharges in so it becomes plasma.

Star Wars lore merely says it's a beam of pure energy projected from the hilt and then bent backwards back into the hilt, forming a sort of circuit. Their power sources are also never depleted unless there's some sort of short like the blade striking an object or another lightsaber blade, as they are constantly recharging themselves.

Yay, sci-fi.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

In a setting with soccer hooligans that grow from spores and spaceship engines that open portals to hell when they are damaged.

Orks are totally soccer hooligans.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Why yes! yes we do! though i wouldnt call it arguing, more like disccusing. Because chainswords are rad as hell!

HenryVape on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Pancake wrote: »

Star Wars lore merely says it's a beam of pure energy projected from the hilt and then bent backwards back into the hilt, forming a sort of circuit. Their power sources are also never depleted unless there's some sort of short like the blade striking an object or another lightsaber blade, as they are constantly recharging themselves.

Yay, sci-fi.

And I think the craziest thing about it is that virturally all the parts that makes up a lightsaber are mundane items in the Star Wars universe...

anyway, enough of (me) derailing the thread I started! Tenative Beta Patch note are now in the OP, as per Zen's request.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.