Options

Dead Space Wii announced

XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dead-space-heading-to-wii-this-year

Well.. yeah.
There's not a lot more to it than that, really.
Expect watered-down graphics, but the gameplay might survive. Short development time suggests it's a port rather than a separate game, to me.

Do this and Dead Rising set a trend for 360-to-Wii ports? We'll see.

Update: It's a prequel. Trailer here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/dead-space-extraction-reveal-trailer

Xagarath on

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh...it wont be nearly as creepy without the higher end graphics and lighting effects. The Wii hardware just can't handle this game to do it justice.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah I love dead space, but can't see it being any good on the wii. I'd rather a cartoony version like they were going to do for the ghostbusters. Cartoon Isaac would be great.

Lly on
  • Options
    CowbombCowbomb Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm conflicted about this...

It could turn out to be awesome - if RE4 is any indication, the controls will be much better. The speed of the port is a bit worrying though, with a decent budget and dev time I'm pretty sure they could make a nice conversion to the Wii, but it looks like they're just going to bang it out as quickly as the can.

Cowbomb on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Eh...it wont be nearly as creepy without the higher end graphics and lighting effects. The Wii hardware just can't handle this game to do it justice.

Have you played RE4? Dead Space has nothing in common with the way that game created tension/terror...?

I've been creeped out by a DS game, you don't need amazing graphics to evoke a creepy feeling.

EDIT: And of course it won't be exactly the same as the original game in every way so I hope this doesn't turn into another cock fest with everyone saying "ohhhh noooo his suit has less polygons and I can see the enemies' pixels" like it's some shocking new revelation.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Have you played RE4? Dead Space has nothing in common with the way that game created tension/terror...?

I've been creeped out by a DS game, you don't need amazing graphics to evoke a creepy feeling.

EDIT: And of course it won't be exactly the same as the original game in every way so I hope this doesn't turn into another cock fest with everyone saying "ohhhh noooo his suit has less polygons and I can see the enemies' pixels" like it's some shocking new revelation.

RE4 didn't rely on real time complex shadow and light effects. They are totally different games built in different generations.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah but RE4 was developed with lower spec hardware in mind. The developers were able to design the game with that in mind. A lot of the tension in Dead Space comes from the visuals, the lighting, the space scenes, the fog and particle effects. Not to mention the sound, although i see no reason the wii can't cope with the sound.

Lly on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lly wrote: »

Yeah but RE4 was developed with lower spec hardware in mind. The developers were able to design the game with that in mind. A lot of the tension in Dead Space comes from the visuals, the lighting, the space scenes, the fog and particle effects. Not to mention the sound, although i see no reason the wii can't cope with the sound.

Let's hope they remember to put it in Stereo.........*ahem* Guitar Hero 3 *ahem*.

I can see this game controlling well, I just can't see it looking like anything but shit. While I still think they can pull off the tension, I can't see them getting all the great twitches and *gulp*pulsations*gulp* that the 360 (and I assume PS3) pulled off.

But who knows, maybe they can. Time will tell.

DrunkMc on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    People are, of course, conveniently overlooking the fact that the PS1 could do fog effects and similar to create tension (see: Silent Hill).
    There's no reason they can't water the graphics down and still keep the horror side working.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I wish the Wii wasn't a pool where devs can just dump ports and hope to make people happy.

but that's what it's shaping up to be...

also, I'll wait and see how this turns out before I comment on it

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    zimfan wrote: »
    Man, I wish the Wii wasn't a pool where devs can just dump ports and hope to make people happy.

but that's what it's shaping up to be...

also, I'll wait and see how this turns out before I comment on it

That's your perogative. I'm going to be dissapointed now and save myself a lot of time.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, I can't see myself shelling out for this even if I love the initiative. I'll get this for the PC anyway.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OP should just link to the Chop Till You Drop thread, add "your indignant point has already been presented like 50 fucking times --->" and be done with it.

Glal on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't think the Wii's graphical capabilities is the problem here, but rather, the idea that porting down from the 360 is going to satisfy "core" gamers. This particular group of gamers are likely to own a 360 or PS3 in addition to their Wii. Casual gamers will ignore this because it doesn't appeal to them, and core gamers will ignore it because they already played the original. Then EA will look at its low sales and decide they should just focus on sports games and waggle mini-game collections.

Dirty on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What I played of Dead Space wasn't creepy at all. Too few enemies (which is the REAL problem with Dead Rising Wii, fuck all the bitching about photography and perspective) coupled with a reasonably powerful character. Sound design be damned, as that won't be a problem for Wii.

I'm not sufficiently convinced the Wii can't pull off similar atmosphere at a lower resolution. What I do believe is that people are conveniently overstating a games reliance on HD graphics for quality.

Personally, i'm gonna wait and see what happens with the game.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/950/950714p1.html

IGN is saying that the game is going to be an original take on the franchise and take advantage of the Wii's strengths.

So we might not be looking at a port at all.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    In my city, the shelves for the Wii section are always full of games like these, (ports) and it's not because they're being restocked.:|

If not a port, what will it be? Mini games comprised of parts like the meteor shooting, and the other mini game from the original? (The parts people didn't care so much for) Seriously not trying to be a dick here, just not getting why they would be doing this instead of using their time and resources to make games specifically for Wii. (instead of porting stuff)

Scotty on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dead Space: Wii Edition, now with:

Waggle motion controls!
    480p visuals!
    Stereo sound!

Please note that due to technical constraints we have been forced to eliminate the zero-G sections, the statis and kinesis functions, and enemies will no longer require dismemberment, only headshots or body shots will work.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That's funny. It sounds exactly like you, and half the people in this thread, have made up your mind already that if it's for the Wii, it's going to suck, and are being exactly that: dicks. If you don't like Wii games, or if graphics are so important to you that you'll ignore superior controls, why don't you just not post here?

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WTB: One to One movement with the Ripper.

*Rev* HEEEEEEEEREEEEES JOHNNY!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I was wondering the same thing.

Resident Evil 4 showed that a survival horror can be great, effective, and control better than any other version. If they make an original game based in the universe started in Dead Space, what's to say they can't pull this off a second time?

I don't understand how so many people just shrug off an idea because it's on the Wii. If you don't like the system, fine....but why automatically say it's going to suck or go all "Mini-games only lulz" when you have no basis for such comments?

oy.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Don't forget the REmake. Seriously everything in that game was pre-rendered and it looked beautiful. Why wouldn't Dead Space be able to do pre-rendered everything?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think it's pretty laughable.

Mainly they don't want to see their pet IP get "cheapened" in their eyes, or they want the team making this game to be focusing on HD hardware instead. Except they can't because it's too expensive!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, I, for one, am looking forward to this.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope the same people harping on graphics so much are going to remain consistent and never look back to games prior to this gen as awesome. Because their graphics suck by today's standard.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hope this turns out awesome. Then I get to buy Dead Space for the third time!

EDIT:

Also yeah, being on the Wii doesn't automatically mean this is going to be some shoddy port with bad graphics and no tension.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Scotty wrote: »
    Seriously not trying to be a dick here, just not getting why they would be doing this instead of using their time and resources to make games specifically for Wii.

Yeah, you are just trying to be goddamn retard, and I must say that you are doing great job with it. :|

And here is the another one. Now we only need three posters more to complete pentagram of doom. One with Spongebob avatar, one with Flash avatar, and one with Star Wars avatar. After the pentagram is completed, I can call Cthulhu to destroy the planet earth and rest of the cosmos.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    elkatas wrote: »
    Scotty wrote: »
    Seriously not trying to be a dick here, just not getting why they would be doing this instead of using their time and resources to make games specifically for Wii.

Yeah, you are just trying to be goddamn retard, and I must say that you are doing great job with it. :|

I think he just read initial reports of in being a port and missed the post above his. Of course we really know literally nothing, it could still be a port.

Why is it retarded to want someone to make a game specifically tailored to Wii rather than a port? I'd say you picked the wrong person to bash here.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Waggle motion controls!
    480p visuals!
    Stereo sound!

Please note that due to technical constraints we have been forced to eliminate the zero-G sections, the statis and kinesis functions, and enemies will no longer require dismemberment, only headshots or body shots will work.

DAMNIT

It's a Wii, not a freaking Super Nintendo. There is no reason that the zero G sections or dismemberment would not work on the Wii. There is a difference between not as powerful and completely crippled.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why is it retarded to want someone to make a game specifically tailored to Wii rather than a port? I'd say you picked the wrong person to bash here.

It is not retarded at all. But having kneejerk reactions is. "Zomg it must be minigamez".

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Don't forget the REmake. Seriously everything in that game was pre-rendered and it looked beautiful. Why wouldn't Dead Space be able to do pre-rendered everything?

I'm sorry but this is a bad idea. Turn a shooter built around navigating combat in huge, very detailed environments into old-school Resident Evil with pre-rended backgrounds and static cameras? Might as well just make a new IP if they're going to do that.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You jokers make my head hurt. I'm out.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Gyral wrote: »

I'm sorry but this is a bad idea. Turn a shooter built around navigating combat in huge, very detailed environments into old-school Resident Evil with pre-rended backgrounds and static cameras? Might as well just make a new IP if they're going to do that.

No no... I didn't say anything about static cameras. I'm saying pre-rendered backgrounds is nothing new (RE4 did it as well) why couldn't DS do it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It'd be awesome if they made a new game in the same universe - I'd love to see the Dead Space storyline/universe continue. I really enjoyed the game on the 360.

Honestly, the graphics aren't the biggest consideration, the sound is - can the Wii do full 5.1 surround? I know the surround sound scared the hell out of me in that game, although part of that is the fact you'll die incredibly fast on the highest difficulty.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    No no... I didn't say anything about static cameras. I'm saying pre-rendered backgrounds is nothing new (RE4 did it as well) why couldn't DS do it.

Because in order to make use of pre-rendered backgrounds, you have to use a static camera.

Otherwise if you move the camera, you need to draw the scene again, and whoops, it's not pre-rendered.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Because in order to make use of pre-rendered backgrounds, you have to use a static camera.

Otherwise if you move the camera, you need to draw the scene again, and whoops, it's not pre-rendered.

Ah yeah, nevermind. RETRACTION!!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    It'd be awesome if they made a new game in the same universe - I'd love to see the Dead Space storyline/universe continue. I really enjoyed the game on the 360.

Honestly, the graphics aren't the biggest consideration, the sound is - can the Wii do full 5.1 surround? I know the surround sound scared the hell out of me in that game, although part of that is the fact you'll die incredibly fast on the highest difficulty.

It can do DPL2, which is 5.1 matrixed.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I got a feeling that if they use the RE4 engine as a model, some of the areas of the game maybe have to be restructured. Some were pretty damn huge. I'm sure tossing in a few doors that allow for areas to load (much like the original but in a smaller scale) would make the gameworld doable on a Wii scale.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have not played Dead Space but everyone keeps saying great things about it so I'm sure I'll check it out eventually. But considering what a dream RE4 Wii is to control I'll take that kind of precision control over HD any day.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »

Not that many people HAVE 5.1 surround sound.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I hope the same people harping on graphics so much are going to remain consistent and never look back to games prior to this gen as awesome. Because their graphics suck by today's standard.

Of course they still play old games. I mean if they weren't PC gamers they would be raging hypocrites (I mean 720p? what is this 2002?) and retro gaming on the PC is pretty easy and rewarding.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)