As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Like I said, I was just putting what looked like a troll in his place. The thread is about dead space, not about how we don't have time for every game. Thank you for agreeing with me though!

Now, about dead space...

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    I own a Wii and a DS, and the two combined have more games coming out than I have time for.
    Even looking at another system seems kind of silly.

I'm glad you said that because I feel the same way. I did eventually buy a 360 to go with my DS and Wii, even though my wife told me I wouldn't have the time.

Unfortunately she was right, since I sort of regret buying it, even if I do enjoy the system. I still mostly play the Wii and DS, and still don't have time to finish everything I have for that system.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lly wrote: »
    Masamune42 wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    let us talk about Dead Space in this thread

'k

I hope Dead Space Wii takes place on the colony. It could be really different if you just play in a city that's going crazy from the influence of the marker. You could probably get away with not having any necromorphs at all, at least at the beginning.

I actually really like this idea. I really want the chance to explore the Dead Space universe beyond the Ishimura.

Except everyone in the colony dies before dead space happens. Well apart from that one dude who walks off into the darkness in comic 6 but let's face it, he dead too!

The idea is awesome if you can actually change the course of events, but i doubt they'd contradict the story already in place.

Of course they wouldn't, why would they need to? You could have the story of a desperate person struggling to survive on the colony as everything goes to hell and they too are eventually lost. Doesn't need a happy ending, does it? Or you could play through the stories of a bunch of different people with a chapter apiece and their struggles/how their actions affected/doomed other stories. It could be a great narrative... chilling, desperate, lonely and ultimately futile.

Or maybe that would just appeal to me and everyone else would think it's complete trash.

Masamune42 on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    A DS version of Dead Space would be interesting, what with drawing the "tactical dismemberments."

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

'k

I hope Dead Space Wii takes place on the colony. It could be really different if you just play in a city that's going crazy from the influence of the marker. You could probably get away with not having any necromorphs at all, at least at the beginning.

I actually really like this idea. I really want the chance to explore the Dead Space universe beyond the Ishimura.

Except everyone in the colony dies before dead space happens. Well apart from that one dude who walks off into the darkness in comic 6 but let's face it, he dead too!

The idea is awesome if you can actually change the course of events, but i doubt they'd contradict the story already in place.

Of course they wouldn't, why would they need to? You could have the story of a desperate person struggling to survive on the colony as everything goes to hell and they too are eventually lost. Doesn't need a happy ending, does it? Or you could play through the stories of a bunch of different people with a chapter apiece and their struggles/how their actions affected/doomed other stories. It could be a great narrative... chilling, desperate, lonely and ultimately futile.

Or maybe that would just appeal to me and everyone else would think it's complete trash.

That would be great as a novel maybe, but a game where you eventually die no matter what you do? That doesn't appeal to me at all. There always has to be the hope that you can make it out at the end or what's the point.

Lly on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I have a 360 too. It's called my PC.

OOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooh!!

For real though, looking forward to seeing to what this turns into.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    A DS version of Dead Space would be interesting, what with drawing the "tactical dismemberments."
    A DS version of Dead Space would make my eyes bleed. I would beg for sweet death in the face of such pitiful graphics, if you could even call them that. Then, in heaven, I'd be reunited with the sacred 360/PS3 version, and we'd all live in eternal, 720p bliss.

Graviija on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    A DS version of Dead Space would make my eyes bleed. I would beg for sweet death in the face of such pitiful graphics, if you could even call them that. Then, in heaven, I'd be reunited with the sacred 360/PS3 version, and we'd all live in eternal, 720p bliss.

Isometric 2d for life.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

'k

That would be great as a novel maybe, but a game where you eventually die no matter what you do? That doesn't appeal to me at all. There always has to be the hope that you can make it out at the end or what's the point.

I dunno, it can still be a compelling narrative. I don't need all my media to end happily to have enjoyed the experience of getting there. I thought Eternal Darkness was fantastic and, yes, while the ultimate resolution is positive (well, the 'real' ending from beating it three times is... less positive) virtually all of the chapters involve the character you're playing as dying or going mad or something terrible happening, and that game seems to have been pretty well respected and enjoyed in general. I guess I was envisioning some sort of Eternal Darkness-like game. I personally think that would be fantastic.

Masamune42 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I hope the same people harping on graphics so much are going to remain consistent and never look back to games prior to this gen as awesome. Because their graphics suck by today's standard.

that isnt what we were getting at. What we were getting as was the games setting and design was based off of complex HD effects that the Wii can't pull off, it had nothing to do with harping and going "Durr hurr games suck with no HD" they were valid points about how the atmosphere won't be the same without the proper shadowing and lighting that the original had.

RE4 was a different generation so its a moot point, and was designed for lesser hardware.

On the other hand if this is going to be a totally original game, then colour me interested. Especially if it centers on a new character or something or is a prequal.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

Is that supposed to mean something: High Definition effects?

What effects, exactly, are you talking about?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

I 'm talking about HD effects, like the lighting ect....i thought it was obvious. But feel free to pointlessly nit pick away as you usually do when i see you post.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    ScottyScotty Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wow people are touchy bastards on this forum.:lol:

I get what your saying Elimination.

Scotty on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

I 'm talking about HD effects, like the lighting ect....i thought it was obvious. But feel free to pointlessly nit pick away as you usually do when i see you post.

That has nothing to do with HD and everything to do with the increased processing power of the HD consoles. Lighting, etc. could be done on a GBA screen.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

Well, high definition in and of itself doesn't give any special visual effects. I'm assuming you mean 'visual effects that the HD systems can provide'.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Scotty wrote: »

Well i wasn't meaning to be touchy, it's just whenever i've seen Cook post anything its always been him ragging on someone for their opinion or their wording or some such and it just got old really fast responding to dumb troll posts.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

Well, high definition in and of itself doesn't give any special visual effects. I'm assuming you mean 'visual effects that the HD systems can provide'.

This is the assumption I came to as well. 'Hd as an effect' rather than 'HD effects'.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

Yes...i was speaking of the HD systems i was trying to be generalist about it by just say "HD" instead of Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. I figured you were all astute enough mentally to figure out the connection without the need of in depth explanation. Now i know better. o_O

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well i wasn't meaning to be touchy, it's just whenever i've seen Cook post anything its always been him ragging on someone for their opinion or their wording or some such and it just got old really fast responding to dumb troll posts.

Naw man, I didn't mean you. I just laughed at how some people can seem to get incredibly offended over something not being EXACTLY clear or precise.

Scotty on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The lighting affects can be reasonably well re-created. They may not be real time effects, but I never felt DS was the pinnacle of next gen effects. Gears of War 2 or Resistance 2 it is not.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Naw man, I didn't mean you. I just laughed at how some people can seem to get incredibly offended over something not being EXACTLY clear or precise.

Yeah i did not expect to have to explain it all in detail for sure. I figured people would just logically understand what i was getting at.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I think with DS, when playing it I was really impressed with the atmosphere. It wasn't the effects and lighting per say, but how they used them so effectively. I can't quite put my finger on it...it was just really stellar. (no pun intended)

Scotty on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah i did not expect to have to explain it all in detail for sure. I figured people would just logically understand what i was getting at.

It was one person.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »

It was one person.

Who cares...

Anyhow, what does the DS have to do with this? Did i miss something here? I am really hoping they make this game a prequal, i love Dead Space and it would be really cool to see something totally new than just a half baked port. I'm not holding out though since Capcom seems to have a hardon lately for ports.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

So, uh, what lighting effects do you think the Wii can't do?

I thought someone already made a huge post about how the Gamecube, let alone the Wii can do dynamic lighting and shadows.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Anyhow, what does the DS have to do with this? Did i miss something here? I am really hoping they make this game a prequal, i love Dead Space and it would be really cool to see something totally new than just a half baked port. I'm not holding out though since Capcom seems to have a hardon lately for ports.
    Wait, Capcom made Dead Space?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Anyone notice a trend with game naming conventions? First it was "of War" (God, Gears, etc.) then "Unleashed" (Sonic, The Force, Jaws) and now it's "Dead" (Rising, Space, Left 4)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah im an idiot. I was thinking of two totally different things at once. It was all that RE4 talk and Chop till you Drop.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okie doke, just downloaded and played the Dead Space demo.

It gets a giant "eh". It really did feel like RE4 in Space. The controls were a bit too clunky and complicated. Wiimote aiming should really enhance the experience.

Really looks like it's gonna be one of those games that the Wii makes better.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

It gets a giant "eh". It really did feel like RE4 in Space. The controls were a bit too clunky and complicated. Wiimote aiming should really enhance the experience.

You can already play Deadspace with a Wiimote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYD_Snj0xKM&eurl=http://www.giantbomb.com/news/

(via Giantbomb)

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    complex HD effects

I think you mean HDR effects.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

(via Giantbomb)

That may be fine and good but here's hoping they simplify the controls.

There's a button that's solely dedicated for rotating the gun. The fuck?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    To me, the top-notch graphics of Dead Space were important to the atmosphere. If they do it well they may be able to retain it, but I'm skepticle.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Anyone notice a trend with game naming conventions? First it was "of War" (God, Gears, etc.) then "Unleashed" (Sonic, The Force, Jaws) and now it's "Dead" (Rising, Space, Left 4)

oih god, it's a prophecy
    war unleashes the dead
    Z DAY

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

(via Giantbomb)

That may be fine and good but here's hoping they simplify the controls.

There's a button that's solely dedicated for rotating the gun. The fuck?

That's the Alternate Fire button. On the Plasma Cutter, it rotates the gun so you can dismember Legs or Arms more easily (depending on your orientation to them, since you spend a good amount of the game walking on walls/upside down). Every weapon has a different alt-fire, so no, it isn't a "rotate gun" button.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    To me, the top-notch graphics of Dead Space were important to the atmosphere. If they do it well they may be able to retain it, but I'm skepticle.

Why? Metroid Prime did the same atmosphere this game does back on the Gamecube in 2002.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Why? Metroid Prime did the same atmosphere this game does back on the Gamecube in 2002.

And yet how many Wii games have had the effort put into them to look as good as that? Practically none.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I haven't played Dead Space, but didn't System Shock 2 also do something similar?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Let's not go crazy here, guys - the interplay of light and darkness is not going to be as pronounced or significant in the Wii version of the game, assuming a similar 'realistic' art style is retained. The derelict spaceship thing has been done before (in Metroid Prime/Prime 3 as mentioned), but the lighting and especially HDR effects were nowhere near as advanced.

Graviija on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Let's not go crazy here, guys - the interplay of light and darkness is not going to be as pronounced or significant in the Wii version of the game, assuming a similar 'realistic' art style is retained. The derelict spaceship thing has been done before (in Metroid Prime/Prime 3 as mentioned), but the lighting and especially HDR effects were nowhere near as advanced.

The wii one should be done in the style of the animated movie, or even better, the comics (Which had a REALLY stylized and cool art style.) and be a totally different game. They could pull off a whole new Dead Space experience on the Wii, maybe even coax me into buying the system.

Buuut its probly going to be a shitty port to cash in on the Wii audience.

Elimination on