As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Space Wii announced

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    jclast wrote: »
    The Wii's the only current-gen console I own.
    /shudder

This is the stuff that is ridiculous. Is owning only a Wii really "shudder" worthy?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

Yeah, I really wish I had a 360 to go with it. I know I'm missing out on shit, but money is tight right now.

We forgive you. Maybe you can get one later when they are cheap and more resistant to RRoD. (I only just bought a PS2 last year, it was awesome!)

donhonk on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    Captain K wrote: »
    ugh

can we keep this thread on topic please

if you want to start a thread about the Something Awful forums you're more than welcome, there's two (2) forums where you could appropriately do that

Sorry, I'm pretty much Captain Off-Topic.

Anyway, Dead Space. There are zombies in it? That sucks, but then again Eternal Darkness did too and I loved it. It's the only such game I ever enjoyed playing. It could still have potential, I guess. Wouldn't hurt me to rent it.

There's a demo, check it out.

You know I tried the demo but the controls, as usual, were alot more complicated and convoluted than they needed to be.

?

The controls are not very complicated at all. I suppose they could seem that way when presented to you in a single screen, but that's always a problem with demos. To wit:

20070608.jpg

I hate screens like that. It's like a test or something, trying to memorize what all the buttons do in the 10-20 seconds you have to look at it. I had problems with that just the other day on the RE5 demo.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's shudder worthy because I, personally, wouldn't have anything approaching a reasonable number of games to play if all I had was a Wii.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Genji GlovesGenji Gloves ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    /shudder

Yeah, I really wish I had a 360 to go with it. I know I'm missing out on shit, but money is tight right now.

We forgive you. Maybe you can get one later when they are cheap and more resistant to RRoD. (I only just bought a PS2 last year, it was awesome!)

I have never owned a PS2, either. What the fuck is wrong with me?

I'm such a Nintendo fanboy. It's pathetic.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

Buh?

If I didn't find a 360 for $30 I wouldn't be an owner of one either.

In fact it shows that I don't really care so much for it when you look at something like this:
    desktowerxs6.jpg

Note how much the Wii games outnumber the 360 games.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    let us talk about Dead Space in this thread

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

'k

I hope Dead Space Wii takes place on the colony. It could be really different if you just play in a city that's going crazy from the influence of the marker. You could probably get away with not having any necromorphs at all, at least at the beginning.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am a sad gamer. I have two Wii games, six Gamecube games and like ten Xbox games. Maybe a dozen or so Dreamcast games. Everything else is on cartridges.

EDIT: ON TOPIC! How prolific is ammo in Dead Space? I don't like running out ever.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

—ISAAC, I NEED YOU TO GO TO G&T AND KEEP THE DEAD SPACE THREAD ON-TOPIC—

"Hey, guys, what's going on in this—"

dead-space-20080617102432248_640w.jpg

"Whooooaaaaaahh!"

Ironically enough, I had just finished Dead Rising and was debating over whether to restart and actually finish Dead Space or go back for another runthrough of RE4 Wii. :)

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am a sad gamer. I have two Wii games, six Gamecube games and like ten Xbox games. Maybe a dozen or so Dreamcast games. Everything else is on cartridges.

EDIT: ON TOPIC! How prolific is ammo in Dead Space? I don't like running out ever.

There's plenty. And there are numerous stores where you can buy more. You can run into trouble if you suck at aiming, or if you're too jumpy, but almost every enemy drops ammo so it's not really a problem.

Health is more of an issue, since there are no ways whatsoever to refill your health outside of health packs.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There's plenty. And there are numerous stores where you can buy more. You can run into trouble if you suck at aiming, or if you're too jumpy, but almost every enemy drops ammo so it's not really a problem.

Health is more of an issue, since there are no ways whatsoever to refill your health outside of health packs.

Cool, because that's one of my major gripes with RE in general. One of the main reasons I liked Eternal Darkness was because there were no shortages of swords, and swords do not require bullets. However, as long as I never want for ammo, I could see myself having a lot of fun with this game. I'm not nearly as pessimistic as I make myself out to be.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Depends. If you carry around four weapons at a time, you'll have four weapons with almost no ammo, since enemies and lockers/chests/etc tend to drop ammo for weapons you're carrying. If you carry 2-3 weapons, you'll usually have enough to be fairly comfortable. Ammo drops and number of shots to kill enemies vary significantly by difficulty: if you play on Normal, the game will be laughably easy (you can basically spray-and-pray your way through the game without running out of ammo). If you play on Hard, you'll have to conserve ammo and aim carefully.

Basically, Normal is a pure action game, while Hard is a good mix of survival-horror with action.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Evangir wrote: »

Depends. If you carry around four weapons at a time, you'll have four weapons with almost no ammo, since enemies and lockers/chests/etc tend to drop ammo for weapons you're carrying. If you carry 2-3 weapons, you'll usually have enough to be fairly comfortable. Ammo drops and number of shots to kill enemies vary significantly by difficulty: if you play on Normal, the game will be laughably easy (you can basically spray-and-pray your way through the game without running out of ammo). If you play on Hard, you'll have to conserve ammo and aim carefully.

Basically, Normal is a pure action game, while Hard is a good mix of survival-horror with action.

Sounds like Normal all the way then. I basically want to play free-roam Killer7. That will never happen, though. So few games try to make infinite ammo work, it's disappointing. I prefer feeling like a bad-ass in a game instead of feeling weak and defenseless. To each his own, I guess. I can see where it would be thrilling and suspenseful, but it's just not for me.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Sounds like Normal all the way then. I basically want to play free-roam Killer7. That will never happen, though. So few games try to make infinite ammo work, it's disappointing. I prefer feeling like a bad-ass in a game instead of feeling weak and defenseless. To each his own, I guess. I can see where it would be thrilling and suspenseful, but it's just not for me.

I always liked the way Tomb Raider did it - infinite ammo for your pistols and traditional ammo management for everything else.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I always liked the way Tomb Raider did it - infinite ammo for your pistols and traditional ammo management for everything else.

Yeah, at least give one standby weapon that never runs out. Usually, pistols are pathetically weak though. Not always, but mostly.

I want a game where all you have is a pump-action shotgun with infinite shells. You still have to reload, but you never run out. With that little formula, I couldn't care less WHAT I'm shooting at, as long as they are legion and satisfying to blow away. 8-)

Is there a shotgun in Dead Space? I'm assuming there is. Zombies usually beg to be shotgunned.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, at least give one standby weapon that never runs out. Usually, pistols are pathetically weak though. Not always, but mostly.

I want a game where all you have is a pump-action shotgun with infinite shells. You still have to reload, but you never run out. With that little formula, I couldn't care less WHAT I'm shooting at, as long as they are legion and satisfying to blow away. 8-)

Is there a shotgun in Dead Space? I'm assuming there is. Zombies usually beg to be shotgunned.

There's a space shotgun that fires 3 beams worth. It's awesome.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Helloween wrote: »

There's a space shotgun that fires 3 beams worth. It's awesome.

Holy SHIT.

I need to see that in action because if it's as cool as it sounds I'll definitely have to rent this game just to try it out.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    genji, you need to get a 360 so you can play Earth Defense Force. You'd love it.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

There are two space shotguns in Dead Space. Both have explosives as alt-fires.

The best part about Dead Space is that nobody can agree on what the best weapon is. They're so perfectly balanced that everyone has a different opinion... Except the Flamethrower. The Flamethrower sucks.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    Masamune42Masamune42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

'k

I hope Dead Space Wii takes place on the colony. It could be really different if you just play in a city that's going crazy from the influence of the marker. You could probably get away with not having any necromorphs at all, at least at the beginning.

I actually really like this idea. I really want the chance to explore the Dead Space universe beyond the Ishimura.

Masamune42 on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys. Guys.

I'm going to tape my wii remote to my Nerf Plasma Cutter (courtesy MrDelish) and when I rotate it to do precision limb-removal, Isaac is going to rotate his on the screen.

3200817220_c9051f92b1.jpg

I swear I'm going to have more fun than any of you ever have ever had in your life.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    /shudder

This is the stuff that is ridiculous. Is owning only a Wii really "shudder" worthy?

He must shudder at people who don't own any consoles. However, if you think about it, a guy with no consoles probably lives on his own, has a girlfriend, and gets laid every now and then. As opposed to many guys with many consoles, who live in their parents' basement, have no girlfriend, and never get laid. Who's quality of life is really "shudder" worthy?

Now on topic, I'll wait and see the game before I judge. After RE4 Wii, I am optimistic.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    METAzraeL wrote: »
    genji, you need to get a 360 so you can play Earth Defense Force. You'd love it.

Just watched a video of this game where the player was running around with a rocket launcher and firing it with no recoil whatsoever. That's awesome. Man, I need a 360 and a better-paying job. :/

I'm missing out on all sorts of games and it's driving me crazy.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Masamune42 wrote: »

'k

I actually really like this idea. I really want the chance to explore the Dead Space universe beyond the Ishimura.

Except everyone in the colony dies before dead space happens. Well apart from that one dude who walks off into the darkness in comic 6 but let's face it, he dead too!

The idea is awesome if you can actually change the course of events, but i doubt they'd contradict the story already in place.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Darlan wrote: »
    Svevin wrote: »
    /shudder

He must shudder at people who don't own any consoles. However, if you think about it, a guy with no consoles probably lives on his own, has a girlfriend, and gets laid every now and then. As opposed to many guys with many consoles, who live in their parents' basement, have no girlfriend, and never get laid. Who's quality of life is really "shudder" worthy?

Now on topic, I'll wait and see the game before I judge. After RE4 Wii, I am optimistic.
    Ugh. While owning more than one current gen console probably is a good indicator of nerd status, not every nerd lives in their parent's basement and never gets laid. The shudder obviously wasn't directed at lifestyle but a perceived dearth of AAA games available for the Wii, and no, let's not get into that argument.

Yeah, I own only a wii, live by myself, and haven't been laid in months! What gives?!

Lly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

Ugh. While owning more than one current gen console probably is a good indicator of nerd status, not every nerd lives in their parent's basement and never gets laid. The shudder obviously wasn't directed at lifestyle but a perceived dearth of AAA games available for the Wii, and no, let's not get into that argument.

That's why I said "many" and not "all". By my own definition, I'm a nerd for owning a Wii and PS3, but I'm married with a child so I don't doubt the possibilities of others having a high quality of life.

The guy was obviously trolling and I don't mind putting a troll in his place.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lly wrote: »
    /shudder

Yeah, I own only a wii, live by myself, and haven't been laid in months! What gives?!

I own only a Wii, live with my mom, and occasionally get laid. The stereotype really doesn't fit many people.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So Dead Space.

I'm interested to play the prequel, Alive Earth.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

I must be some sort of statistical anomaly then because despite owning all 3 consoles I live in my own house, have a wife, and get laid quite a bit. So far I'm looking at the guy who is missing out on awesome 360 and PS3 games as more shudder-worthy than the guy with lots of fun things in his entertainment center and a wife who likes sex.

Besides, I already said that the shudder was because I would feel like I was missing out if I only owned a Wii.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

You obviously haven't been taking advantage of your situation. Bitches love the Rayman Raving Rabbits games. :winky:

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

You obviously haven't been taking advantage of your situation. Bitches love the Rayman Raving Rabbits games. :winky:

Well I put up a poster and everything! No takers.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Masamune42 wrote: »

'k

Except everyone in the colony dies before dead space happens. Well apart from that one dude who walks off into the darkness in comic 6 but let's face it, he dead too!

The idea is awesome if you can actually change the course of events, but i doubt they'd contradict the story already in place.

Well, I mean, you could just be a person who gets away. I don't think it's ever confirmed that every single person from the colony is dead. Everyone dies in the same way that everyone dies in, say, Raccoon City, there are room for a few survivors.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yea, I have a Wii, 360, and DS.....live on my own, with a wife, two kids, and as much sex as I want....so yea, nerd life isn't so bad.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

Learn how to cook. Seriously. Girls love it when a guy cooks for them.

Genji Gloves on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

I must be some sort of statistical anomaly then because despite owning all 3 consoles I live in my own house, have a wife, and get laid quite a bit. So far I'm looking at the guy who is missing out on awesome 360 and PS3 games as more shudder-worthy than the guy with lots of fun things in his entertainment center and a wife who likes sex.

Besides, I already said that the shudder was because I would feel like I was missing out if I only owned a Wii.

Screenshots or it didn't happen! :P

There's no need to feel like you'd be missing out by only owning a wii. I got a wii and a ps3 and you know what it's got me? A large collection of games with only half of them finished because there's not enough time to play them all without sacrificing more important things in life.

Nothing wrong with being happy with having multiple consoles / different consoles, but I can't stand for putting people down because they don't have your console of choice.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

Learn how to cook. Seriously. Girls love it when a guy cooks for them.

Thanks for the advice GnT, I was posting that more as a joke than seriously, there wasn't actually any truth in it. Good heavens. I didn't expect people to latch onto it! Moving on to Dead Space Wii now eh?

I hope the waggle is used to get rid of those fucking little things that jump on you and eat you in seconds.

Lly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

There's no need to feel like you'd be missing out by only owning a wii. I got a wii and a ps3 and you know what it's got me? A large collection of games with only half of them finished because there's not enough time to play them all without sacrificing more important things in life.

Nothing wrong with being happy with having multiple consoles / different consoles, but I can't stand for putting people down because they don't have your console of choice.

I didn't put him down. I shuddered because I can't imagine how little fun I, personally, would be having with video games if all I had was a Wii. Each generation has a go-to console - last gen it was PS2, and this gen it seems to be the 360. I'd have thought the same thing if somebody told me 5 years ago that they only had a GameCube.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    /shudder

Gah! So true. Between my personal life and work (and previously school), I haven't finished half of the Dreamcast games in my above posted media rack.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I own a Wii and a DS, and the two combined have more games coming out than I have time for.
    Even looking at another system seems kind of silly.

Xagarath on