As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Dead Redemption

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The claim that I heard was that they'd rot off the horse after an in-game day or two passes. I haven't clocked a day, but in GTA that's 48 minutes for one day. That's a long time to spend away from a town. However I suppose there is an equally likely chance that horses were bugging up and losing people's hauls, and people assumed that it was a rot mechanic.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I know it’s there for single player but man I’ve never seen it . Maybe they were hunting in a polluted area? Those animals are unusable and they game won’t let you even skin them.

• Options
    It's entirely possible that I read the comment about single player. The only carcasses that I've lost have been when the game lost connection and kicked me out of the lobby.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I've read that carcasses and pelts can eventually rot in multiplayer if you don't turn them in fast enough. I can't confirm if that's true or not since I've always turned them in before any problems. So I guess either I was sufficiently fast or I heard wrong.

They can rot in single player

But in multi, that is turned off along with hair growth. Carcasses will despawn before they rot

Joolander on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    But are the big pelts that require stowing (and removing) different from the smaller ones that stack? Either way, I carried around some for definitely more than 48 mins and they remained perfect.

I also assume the legendary ones don't rot maybe? Carried the deer pelt around for hours because I was still in chapter 2 and had no idea where or what the trapper was.

Bigity on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    In single player I didnt think pelts went bad, I thought it was just carcasses.

Online I dont think anything goes bad, but can despawn/be lost due to disconnects.

• Options
    Yeah, at this point I'm pretty sure that I just had bad info.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Legendary stuff ( which are only in single player) also will not rot away, because there is only one

• Options
    edited June 2020
    So all horse usables are free this week , so use the online catalogue to order 99 revivers stamina etc.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I took advantage of the sale to buy the nachodoches and hooded stirrup combo that everyone keeps raving is head and shoulders over every other saddle/stirrup combination. While I don't have much experience with most of the saddles, "head and shoulders" is certainly apt when compared to the standard saddle that I was using.

What sucks I that I think that both the nachodoches saddle and hooded stirrups look bad. The saddle at least looks passable at a glance IMO with one of the ash and charcoal color schemes, but the stirrups look like stupid clown shoes no matter what.

edit:
    After a few more moonshine runs, I'm probably going to buy another saddle/stirrup combo purely for looks. Hopefully that will be "good enough" over standard that I won't miss the literally infinite range of the nachodoches saddle, but I'll keep the nacho for when I really want to minmax that stamina stat.

I'm working on trying to max out bounty hunter because I kind of want to unlock the Steel Grey Breton. I've heard that they are super brave.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I took advantage of the sale to buy the nachodoches and hooded stirrup combo that everyone keeps raving is head and shoulders over every other saddle/stirrup combination. While I don't have much experience with most of the saddles, "head and shoulders" is certainly apt when compared to the standard saddle that I was using.

What sucks I that I think that both the nachodoches saddle and hooded stirrups look bad. The saddle at least looks passable at a glance IMO with one of the ash and charcoal color schemes, but the stirrups look like stupid clown shoes no matter what.

edit:
    After a few more moonshine runs, I'm probably going to buy another saddle/stirrup combo purely for looks. Hopefully that will be "good enough" over standard that I won't miss the literally infinite range of the nachodoches saddle, but I'll keep the nacho for when I really want to minmax that stamina stat.

I'm working on trying to max out bounty hunter because I kind of want to unlock the Steel Grey Breton. I've heard that they are super brave.

It’s what I did , I have the beaver rope saddle on a brown leopard Appaloosa . I do have the white nagodoches ( I called it nacho for forever lol) on my Dalmatian Appaloosa.

• Options
    Yeah, my next saddle purchase is definitely just gonna be for looks. The stock saddle had enough range that I generally could sustain a full sprint within the range of a bounty mission except under some rare fringe cases. I have a huge stack of horse stimulants now, so those should cover those edge cases. By the time those 120 stimulants run out, I'll probably have purchased most of the things that I want and I'll be able to just buy more at market price.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yeah, my next saddle purchase is definitely just gonna be for looks. The stock saddle had enough range that I generally could sustain a full sprint within the range of a bounty mission except under some rare fringe cases. I have a huge stack of horse stimulants now, so those should cover those edge cases. By the time those 120 stimulants run out, I'll probably have purchased most of the things that I want and I'll be able to just buy more at market price.

I humbly suggest looking at the special saddles , they look amazing and have real good stats . The downside being that since they are vanity purchases they require gold for most.

• Options
    I'll take a look at that. I've got ~40 gold right now, and I don't really have any plans on what to do with it now that I have all of the business roles unlocked. Obviously I want to maintain a stockpile of gold so that I'm ready to go when a new business is introduced (wishful thinking?), but otherwise I don't see a reason not to spend some of this gold. I suspect that a new role will cost at a minimum 25 gold like moonshiner.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I humbly suggest looking at the special saddles , they look amazing and have real good stats . The downside being that since they are vanity purchases they require gold for most.

I think I'm using only vanity saddles, but I have over 500 gold and that's with spending gold etc etc. Its definitely a rich get richer type situation with gold.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, it seems like gold just rains on you if you can keep up with your dailies. Especially the profession dailies since a lot of those are really easy. Eventually I need to finally grab that tracking arrow pamphlet since that daily pops up a lot.

In contrast it was a huge pain to acquire gold from a cold start.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Yeah, it seems like gold just rains on you if you can keep up with your dailies. Especially the profession dailies since a lot of those are really easy. Eventually I need to finally grab that tracking arrow pamphlet since that daily pops up a lot.

In contrast it was a huge pain to acquire gold from a cold start.

Yeah I just pop on for a couple just to keep my streak going. At my streak level its .5 bars a completion, and that's with it stupidly resetting back in late january for some reason.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think I'm done with the horse discounts now. I just dinged rank 20 bounty hunter and bought myself a Steely Grey Breton. I think that I'm gonna like her a lot once I finish the horse bonding.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nacogdoches (nack og doe chess) ...please show some respect, it's the oldest town in Texas.

If you live there long enough you are required to tell people that, so I had to.

Bigity on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Mmm nacho dogs

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Nacho dog is more memorable. It reminds me of the old Taco Bell mascot.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Nacho dog is more memorable. It reminds me of the old Taco Bell mascot.

Those of us living there in our teen years called it either 'Naca-nowhere' or 'nasty roaches'

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm just making my first attempt at hunting a legendary animal, but haven't been able to find any clues yet. How big are the areas, once it tells you you're inside their territory how far around should you search? And does the drawing Arthur puts on the map show anything specific? Cos it appeared a little way away from where I was when I got the "you are entering legendary animal territory" message so I don't know if I should be looking there.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I'm just making my first attempt at hunting a legendary animal, but haven't been able to find any clues yet. How big are the areas, once it tells you you're inside their territory how far around should you search? And does the drawing Arthur puts on the map show anything specific? Cos it appeared a little way away from where I was when I got the "you are entering legendary animal territory" message so I don't know if I should be looking there.
    The area is pretty fuckin' huge, and you can sometimes accidentally stumble on / spook the Legendary Animal early. If you'e not opposed to using guides, definitely use one. If you are opposed to using guides, flip into Track mode and look for smaller-than-human-sized plumes of yellow scentsmoke. Once you find one, each one is visible from the next.

That spot Arthur puts on the map is just somewhere inside the Legendary Animal's "range", iirc. It's a pretty beefy circle.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The area is pretty fuckin' huge, and you can sometimes accidentally stumble on / spook the Legendary Animal early. If you'e not opposed to using guides, definitely use one. If you are opposed to using guides, flip into Track mode and look for smaller-than-human-sized plumes of yellow scentsmoke. Once you find one, each one is visible from the next.

That spot Arthur puts on the map is just somewhere inside the Legendary Animal's "range", iirc. It's a pretty beefy circle.

In single player mode, I don't think the animal even spawns until you hit the clues so not a worry about spooking early. You also can't damage the hide/pelt so bring the big guns.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I eventually stumbled across some fur. Was looking for the yellow cloud but for some reason I find it really hard to see unless I'm on top of it.

Found the buck, started sneaking up on it, and it just dropped dead without me doing anything. There were quite a few rattlesnakes around so I wonder if it got bitten, dunno if that can even happen.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I eventually stumbled across some fur. Was looking for the yellow cloud but for some reason I find it really hard to see unless I'm on top of it.

Found the buck, started sneaking up on it, and it just dropped dead without me doing anything. There were quite a few rattlesnakes around so I wonder if it got bitten, dunno if that can even happen.

Pelts a pelt.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »

In single player mode, I don't think the animal even spawns until you hit the clues so not a worry about spooking early. You also can't damage the hide/pelt so bring the big guns.

I'm like 80% sure I stumbled across the bighorn ram legendary without meaning to, killed it, and had it like fall off a cliff or something. It was a couple years ago though at this point.

• Options
    You know what I haven’t stumbled across at this point ? Outlaw pass #3 and the rdo summer update . I’m getting sick of your shit R* at least say something.

• Options
    I've kinda fallen into the "maintain my streak" holding pattern with RDO. I've got ~60 gold right now and ~$1000, so I suspect that I'm mostly good for whatever they release. I worry that they were hoping to be able to slide by with no content until they could try to double dip with PS5 sales.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I've kinda fallen into the "maintain my streak" holding pattern with RDO. I've got ~60 gold right now and ~$1000, so I suspect that I'm mostly good for whatever they release. I worry that they were hoping to be able to slide by with no content until they could try to double dip with PS5 sales.

It’s very possible that’s what they intend to do unfortunately.

• Options
    Is the online still worth jumping into as a noob? Am I going to get repeatedly murdered by people with pro gear while I ride around on a pony with a potato gun?

I never play MP stuff but I'm tempted for this.

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Most people aren't horrible which may not sound like high praise but compared to GTA, for example, it's a lot better. You can get some pretty solid weapons at low level. Higher level players are going to have better ability cards aka perks but not to the extent that you're defenseless against them. A few things to note depending on platform, though:

PC has the exact same issues with cheaters that GTA suffers from and also doesn't have text chat because reasons. Console players can follow you to different sessions if they REALLY want to harass you, though I think that's harder to do on PS4 compared to XB1

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Is the online still worth jumping into as a noob? Am I going to get repeatedly murdered by people with pro gear while I ride around on a pony with a potato gun?

I never play MP stuff but I'm tempted for this.

Not really. You'll occasionally be harassed like that, but for the most part no. I've gotten blown up by random explosions/clones of me maybe 3-4 times in a month of heavy play. Maybe 5-6 jerks attacked me unprovoked.

If you want to defend yourself from the PvP jerks, get your hands on a Rolling Block rifle. It's pretty expensive, but it's rank restricted to a fairly low level. It has killed every jerk that has messed with me with a single bodyshot hit. If think that it's possible to survive a rolling block hit with sufficient defensive cards, but not if you run the right offensive cards to overpower their defensive ones. Either way, I don't think that the griefers were running defensive cards at all. Oh, and if you ever want to go toe to toe with them, swap over to first person mode quick. For whatever reason you are bound by different movement rules when in first person view. Also the rolling block is good hunting rifle that is good for taking down big predators.

Tumbleweed IMO has a higher concentration of people being jerks. Saint Denis and Valentine too to a lesser extent. Stay on guard when visiting those places.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I made an online character yesterday. What's the point in the name you choose? Seems like it displays my Rockstar ID over my head.

• Options
    So all limited time clothing is available this week if you guys have been waiting for something.

• Options
    I made an online character yesterday. What's the point in the name you choose? Seems like it displays my Rockstar ID over my head.

Purely rp best I ever saw.

And if you have your prime linked to your rockstar you got 1 thousand bucks. I signed in and had double my money.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm sorry I missed a zero and forgot how much money I had, its 10 000 dollars for being on the social club/twitch prime

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'm sorry I missed a zero and forgot how much money I had, its 10 000 dollars for being on the social club/twitch prime

Strange, I didn't get a cent of that when I logged on for my dailies. However I did receive the vouchers for discount stables, horses, and a shotgun which are also twitch prime rewards. The twitch prime website also cites the $1000 value that you originally stated.

I'm not too surprised though. Considering how much trouble that R* has with distributing money in GTA, I think that there is a 70% chance that I'll eventually get the money at a later date, a 20% chance that I never get anything, and a 10% chance that I keep getting money multiple times for no reason.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I bought this, like it, thinking I might go for 100% completion. But to do that i'd need to do the legendary fishing. And fuck that. After 8 real life hours, i've caught 1. (8 hours over 3 days not one session)

I know where some of them are, im using the right lures, the fish are taking the bait and im hooking them,
    But Arthur will just not reel them in quick enough. My fingers/hands are spinning the control stick (xbox one) as fast as I can to the point im either gonna break my controller or my hand but I can not catch them.
    Specifically the Smallmouth Bass at Owanji Lake, and the longnose Gar at Lagras.

I've tried everything. From 30 minute long struggles hoping it would get tired. I've hooking it for a bit and getting it slightly nearer to shore, before unhooking and trying again (so i'd only have to reel it in a little bit).
    I've tried going out on boats to fish/physically shoot them, I've dynamited the lakes. I once managed to get one stuck on my boat so I shot it and got it onto the boat, only to find that when I started rowing the boat the fish clipped through the boat and stayed where it was and sank in the middle of the lake completely unobtainable.
    I am completely out of ideas. The fish are impossible

On the plus side after I said fuck it and made my way back to civilization I came across a KKK meeting and got to try out my brand new incendiary shotgun ammuntion. That was great and felt very cathartic.