Options

Nintendo DSi: Apr 5, $170 US, Black & Blue, DSi retail games, Rhythm Heaven also Apr5

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
main_ds_bg.jpg

Edit Feb 20: When the hell did this photo change to have Iwata on it?
Nintendo has announced the release date for the DSi: April 5 for $169.99 in blue and black. The system will launch alongside the English-language release of “Rhythm Heaven.” Press release after the jump. My impressions of the American system and “Rhythm Heaven” are coming a little later today.

US Launch April 5th:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/18/nintendo-dsi-to-launch-on-april-5th/

Anyway, I probably will wait a while to get one. I usually do with Nintendo handhelds.

Lunker wrote: »
Oh, also: DSi-only carts confirmed. Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin. From the press release:
In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DS™ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

Completely fuck-awesome trailer from Nintendo of Europe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LTgOqufvKc
=======================

(Back when this thread was titled "Some kind of Nintendo DSi announcement is coming....and soon!"

Found on NeoGAF, thanks to their monthly "Look what I bought" thread.

dsi.jpg
dsi2.jpg

Even if it was a bluff, there's this from IGN: http://wii.ign.com/articles/954/954724p1.html
Nintendo Voice Chat Postponed - Possible excuses: a rampaging Bowser, a zombie infestation, or an upcoming handheld announcement.

So, um, yeah,.......woo?

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    cool, but I don't see myself ever using a DS for camera and mp3...hell even video is a stretch. I used to own a card for the DS that let you store and play mp3's and some shitty video codec. It was cool to have but honestly the speaker sucked for music and the DS Lite wasn't made to ride in a pocket, so it was mostly in a bag. I basically think handheld consoles are only good for media if they have a loud speaker.

Sam on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not really interested in a DSi.

parabola on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    i bet this will be huge in Asia...although even there, is a camera that much of a motivation to switch from a Lite?

Sam on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I own a regular DS, so I'm slightly interested in a DSi. But some of the features are pointless to me, like the camera. Really depends on the cost.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The DSi will probably sell huge for reasons that just fall in the "Just Because" category. I personally won't be picking one up, unless my Lite explodes and even then it's a debate, but I figure down the line, the main draw will be the DSi Shop, or whatever it's called.

The camera is just there....well, I don't know why. I don't want to say 'to help it interface with the Wii better', because that's obviously not a direct reason, but I'm pretty sure, if you have both, you can take pictures with the DSi and then later put them on your Wii. I don't know; I'll stop talking there, because I don't own a Wii, so I don't want to talk for something I don't have and then look like an idiot.

Not that I own a DSi, either, but you get my point.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The screen is so good looking.

Louder too.

Semi decent browser. DSware.

Very much want.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Downloadable content, eh? That would be cool if NoA could be trusted to support it.

Saddler on
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what annoys me is that it's been over four years since the DS came out, and it seems like it should be time to announce a new console, not come up with an updated version which doesn't guarantee forward compatibility of it's predecessors (DSware, camera games), yet has the same exact specs as a console that was outclassed technically right after it came out. At this point in time, it would seem quite trivial, technically and cost-wise, to just switch to some faster ARM processors (I believe are already adding more RAM, anyway), resulting in a new console that's maintains backwards compatibility, while still being familiar to developers. Since there's a new distribution medium for this console anyway (DLC), you can also avoid consumer confusion of what is compatible with the new DS, and what's not.
    I'm pretty sure the main reason for the switch was to just combat the massive DS piracy going on.

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Isn't the DSi supposed to have region coding (for DSi games, not when playing DS games)? I say boo on it for that reason.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh, I thought the DSi came out in NA months ago :oops: guess I don't pay enough attention to nintendos announcements :|

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    There are too many awesome GBA games I have to catch up on for me to get a DSi. I'd rather just get a DSL and hold out for the next Nintendo handheld.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I will get one of these if only because of the SD slot

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Huh, I thought the DSi came out in NA months ago :oops: guess I don't pay enough attention to nintendos announcements :|

It has been out in Japan for quite some time. Maybe that confused you.

Peewi on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if this will really replace the DS Lite or if they will just sell it along side. One has GBA functions and one does not after all. I'd rather have the GBA function than silly camera nonsense and all that.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I wonder if this will really replace the DS Lite or if they will just sell it along side. One has GBA functions and one does not after all. I'd rather have the GBA function than silly camera nonsense and all that.

I doubt the DS lite will go anywhere for a while, most likely getting a price drop and then getting phased out.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Nintendo is probably using it as a stern EOL (End of life) message for the GBA cart to third parties. If you don't own any GBA titles and/or are buying a DS for the first time there's no real reason not to get a DSi unless the price is a lot higher than the DS Lite.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Man, I still own my phat DS. If I ever replace it, which I probably will soon because the touch screen is scratched to shit, the speakers don't really work anymore and the screens have started to die, I'll be getting a Lite.
    I already have a camera and an mp3 player. Plus I like playing my GBA games..

Rizzi on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I could never justify the phat to lite upgrade to myself. Yes the lite is prettier, so much prettier, but pretty enough to fork for a whole new DS when I already have a fully functioning one? Not so much.

The DSi having added new features is finally the justification I need to move on from my much loved launch silver phat DS. I have high hopes for downloadable software and it's not like I won't still have my old DS around for GBA games. Hell, the SP must be buried in my house somewhere.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I could never justify the phat to lite upgrade to myself. Yes the lite is prettier, so much prettier, but pretty enough to fork for a whole new DS when I already have a fully functioning one? Not so much.

The answer to that question is a budgetary concern. It certainly is worth it, as long as you can afford it.

The DSi seems to ... not be the same story, to me.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sam wrote: »
    cool, but I don't see myself ever using a DS for camera and mp3...hell even video is a stretch. I used to own a card for the DS that let you store and play mp3's and some shitty video codec. It was cool to have but honestly the speaker sucked for music and the DS Lite wasn't made to ride in a pocket, so it was mostly in a bag. I basically think handheld consoles are only good for media if they have a loud speaker.

You need bigger pockets. The DS+moonshell was my main MP3 player for years. Still is, in fact, now that I got an 8 gig MicroSD card for it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Nintendo has announced the release date for the DSi: April 5 for $169.99 in blue and black. The system will launch alongside the English-language release of “Rhythm Heaven.” Press release after the jump. My impressions of the American system and “Rhythm Heaven” are coming a little later today.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I should go pick up another DS lite before they stop making those...

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    US Launch April 5th:

Anyway, I probably will wait a while to get one. I usually do with Nintendo handhelds.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    what annoys me is that it's been over four years since the DS came out, and it seems like it should be time to announce a new console, not come up with an updated version which doesn't guarantee forward compatibility of it's predecessors (DSware, camera games), yet has the same exact specs as a console that was outclassed technically right after it came out. At this point in time, it would seem quite trivial, technically and cost-wise, to just switch to some faster ARM processors (I believe are already adding more RAM, anyway), resulting in a new console that's maintains backwards compatibility, while still being familiar to developers. Since there's a new distribution medium for this console anyway (DLC), you can also avoid consumer confusion of what is compatible with the new DS, and what's not.
    I'm pretty sure the main reason for the switch was to just combat the massive DS piracy going on.

Are you so quick to forget that the Game Boy remained largely unchanged for nearly a decade? Nintendo has shown that they usually take a very conservative approach to handhelds. The DS is even more successful than the original Game Boy was, and it really doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Basically: DSi is to DS as Game Boy Color is to Game Boy.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ewwww, this smell a lot like a lot like videochat...
    could those nitnendo guys jsut please get back into making game some time soon?

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Are you so quick to forget that the Game Boy remained largely unchanged for nearly a decade? Nintendo has shown that they usually take a very conservative approach to handhelds. The DS is even more successful than the original Game Boy was, and it really doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Basically: DSi is to DS as Game Boy Color is to Game Boy.

Yeah, the DSL just set the record for 1 months sales in the US this December. 3 Million of the things. I'm more surprised that they are bothering releasing the DSi here so early.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    US Launch April 5th:

This is why I'm never going to the bathroom at work ever again. :(

I wasn't going to get one, but my Lite is actually on the way out now—just got the hinge crack a few weeks ago.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What the hells, Nintendo.

My GBA was white, my DS Lite is White, my Wii is white, my TV is white, my 360 is white for fuck's sake.

Why won't you sell me a White DSi?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, also: DSi-only carts confirmed. Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin. From the press release:
    In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DS™ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm hoping Gamestop offers some deal where you can trade-in your Lite for a sizable discount on the DSi that's within $10 of what I'd get if I sold my Lite on eBay. It's not that the DSi is such an upgrade so much as it is that my Lite is white and has gotten a little grimy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DSâ„¢ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

I thought we knew that. Hmmmm. Are there any DSi games out in Japan yet?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What the hells, Nintendo.

My GBA was white, my DS Lite is White, my Wii is white, my TV is white, my 360 is white for fuck's sake.

Why won't you sell me a White DSi?

Not to mention that there's white DSis in Japan.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    In addition to downloadable games, Nintendo DSi is able to play games made specifically for the system and sold at retail. The system can also play most Nintendo DSâ„¢ games, and will have access to a library of more than 850 titles originally made for that system.

I haven't been fully keeping up with it, but this is the first I've heard of actual DSi carts—prior to this, I think the assumption was that any DSi-exclusive stuff was download-only. I haven't heard anything about DSi carts, so if there's something it won't be coming for a while.

And honestly, I'm kind of glad there's no white available, because it saves me from having to choose what color to go for. Always bet on black, baby.
    There's a chance I might be able to do a product review of it for the magazine I work for, so fingers crossed!

Lunker on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm waiting for info on some sort of handheld Virtual Console. Camera means nothing to me, but the downloadable nostalgia would sell me in a second. Otherwise, I'll keep the ability to play Racing Gears Advance, thank-you very much.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No news for Europe I assume? Ho hum. Until this talk of region locking is confirmed one way or the other I can't even consider importing.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Most DS games? Which ones wouldn't work?

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

The Guitar Hero games, for one, though I'm hard-pressed to think of any other game that mandates using the GBA slot for something.

Lunker on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    solsovly wrote: »

The Guitar Hero games, for one, though I'm hard-pressed to think of any other game that mandates using the GBA slot for something.

Oh right, good point. Couple games that support rumble and that one tony hawk game are out too. No GBA support is a deal breaker for me. The new features seem completely unexciting.

solsovly on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I'll wait till the selection of DSi-ware gets more robust.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Considering I still use the original DS, this will finally talk me into upgrading into a lite, which I have wanted to do just never felt the need to.

Can't wait.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!