As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] It was the best of times- It was the WAAAAGH of times. <<Closed>>

• Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    crap, I agree with morninglord... I feel dirty now...

WolveSight on
    253J736.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    My WH makes a lot of people feel dirty.

That's just how unbelievable sexy he is.

Seriously I love the style of my WH.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Empire has the best hats

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Made a SW and got her to 9 tonight, I am just wondering what's the best way to go with them though. I'm liking the idea of Skirmisher but is Scout the better way to go? Looking for a decent balance of PvE and RvR here. Although, it was nice to level almost exclusively on scenarios tonight.

Edit: The Split Arrows tactic looks especially nice.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    I die so much as choppa.

Much faster than marauder or WH, it's not even fun to be honest. At least with marauder i did a good amount of damage and/or killed something.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I just die so damn fast.
    the first thing I have to ask whenever a choppa/slayer make this complaint is, are you keeping your rage below berzerk?

as someone who plays both a choppa and a couple of healers, I literally will not waste my heals on a choppa if I see that he's usually berserk and is running into a group of enemies
    choppas just take too much damage when berserk for it to be worth tossing a hot on you in that case

now, if you are actually managing your rage and keeping it below berzerk then it could be that you need better gear, or that the people you're in a scen with suck or that the other side is just that much better/more powerful than your side

but I have absolutely no sympathy for choppas that don't manage their rage, and feel they die too quickly

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    I die so much as choppa.

Much faster than marauder or WH, it's not even fun to be honest. At least with marauder i did a good amount of damage and/or killed something.

the first thing I have to ask whenever a choppa/slayer make this complaint is, are you keeping your rage below berzerk?

as someone who plays both a choppa and a couple of healers, I literally will not waste my heals on a choppa if I see that he's usually berserk and is running into a group of enemies
    choppas just take too much damage when berserk for it to be worth tossing a hot on you in that case

now, if you are actually managing your rage and keeping it below berzerk then it could be that you need better gear, or that the people you're in a scen with suck or that the other side is just that much better/more powerful than your side

but I have absolutely no sympathy for choppas that don't manage their rage, and feel they die too quickly

On the other, more thoughtful hand...

I'll heal choppas going berserk with aoe spec. As in I'll throw real heals on them, not just a hot.

Lots choppin while berserk does absolutely stupid damage and since I know this so well I enjoy watching a healed choppa slaughter people.

Just pointing out that berserk isn't always bad.

Course, this requires watching them for a bit to see how they play, not saying you should just randomly focus on any berserk choppa you see.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    hazywater wrote: »
    Empire has the best codpieces

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Druhim wrote: »
    I die so much as choppa.

On the other, more thoughtful hand...

I'll heal choppas going berserk with aoe spec. As in I'll throw real heals on them, not just a hot.

Lots choppin while berserk does absolutely stupid damage and since I know this so well I enjoy watching a healed choppa slaughter people.

Just pointing out that berserk isn't always bad.

Course, this requires watching them for a bit to see how they play, not saying you should just randomly focus on any berserk choppa you see.
    yeah, I'm speaking generally
    most of the time these dudes are going down so fast that tossing a heal on them is a waste of time
    but of course there are exceptions

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If a slayer or choppa managed their rage, they could play like a maurader or white lion and mix it up in the scrum. If they go full bezerk, they have to play more like a WH or WE.

I play a S/S tank and sorcs, WEs, and glowing choppas are priority targets behind healers. I don't have a huge amount of dps, but its more than enough to quickly put down one of those light armor classes. If I cannot effectively pressure the healers directly, I can force them to chain-heal some guy with worthless mitigation.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    So long as he isn't hitting you I don't mind if you make me chain heal him.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    It's interesting getting to face the first of the Choppas that reached 40 in scenarios.

From the perspective of the other side, they seem like any other MDPS class, possibly better even. With the support of a competent team around them, they dish out some sick damage and really perform their job as a line breaker.

Ex. from a battle for praag today.

Guild trio of Choppa, Chosen, and some kind of healer (looked to be a zealot, but i never got that close). The chosen would run straight into the center of the order pack, let loose the aoe KD, and then the choppa would just go to town on them. Every time we could even dent the choppa's health to around 20%, he'd just pop the r1 absorb shield and jog to the back lines for heals.

It finally took myself and some other rdps to sneak behind and aoe down their healers.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    WolveSight wrote: »
    As far as marauders are concerned, they still do good damage and have decent surviability. Can they continuously spam their AoE disables and disorients to make their opponents completely unable to play? No. That stuff had to get fixed. Several of the marauders and witch elves that "relied" on their advantages have re-rolled or left the badlands server. The fighting has actually gotten better as the sides have gotten better balanced. Will a marauder win in a 1v1 with a tank class? Probably not. Can they take down other dps classes? Maybe. Can they take out healers solo? Eh, with the buff to healing... they'll have to work at it. A few white lions I know are saying the same; they're not doing enough in the fights.
    Yeah, WLs are in the same boat. Stacked with a decent amount of toughness and wounds you can take a decent pounding unless focus-fired by a party of people, but the number of targets we can take down 1:1 is a bit disappointing, at least in early T4. Healers are no longer killable (unless stupid), tanks never were to start with, so when not helping others I pretty much only go for Squigs, Sorcs and WEs. I'm looking forward to Choppas getting to T4, they sound like another class we'd be able to kill.

Glal on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Angry wrote: »
    t6m died?

are slayers and choppas in yet?

No. T6M are not dead. They're not allowed to be.

I really miss my Marauder/Blorc that I started out with and would love to have a group of PAers to play with as I may be playing some destro alts in the near future as I already have 2 40s, another character who is 32 and one who just hit 20 and will rapidly be leveling to 40 on Badlands. When Forts aren't being hit/it's an off night for instance runs it'd be pretty great to have something different to do. Therefore- They are not allowed to die.

Unfortunately my original characters are on Monolith so I can't get them to Iron Rock (that's where T6M is offically, correct?) and I'd have to reroll. Neither was past their mid 20s or had anything resembling good gear though so it's not a huge loss.

What do you T6M guys use for vent?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Glal.

You are early t4.

Seriously early t4 an assault specced squighunter would probably be able to melee you down.

Have patience, it's always like that.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    WolveSight wrote: »
    As far as marauders are concerned, they still do good damage and have decent surviability. Can they continuously spam their AoE disables and disorients to make their opponents completely unable to play? No. That stuff had to get fixed. Several of the marauders and witch elves that "relied" on their advantages have re-rolled or left the badlands server. The fighting has actually gotten better as the sides have gotten better balanced. Will a marauder win in a 1v1 with a tank class? Probably not. Can they take down other dps classes? Maybe. Can they take out healers solo? Eh, with the buff to healing... they'll have to work at it. A few white lions I know are saying the same; they're not doing enough in the fights.
    Yeah, WLs are in the same boat. Stacked with a decent amount of toughness and wounds you can take a decent pounding unless focus-fired by a party of people, but the number of targets we can take down 1:1 is a bit disappointing, at least in early T4. Healers are no longer killable (unless stupid), tanks never were to start with, so when not helping others I pretty much only go for Squigs, Sorcs and WEs. I'm looking forward to Choppas getting to T4, they sound like another class we'd be able to kill.

I'm pretty ok on killing healers if I wanna spec for it. I have to be full on Axeman spec'd to do it with anything resembling reliability but with Thin the Herd+Cull the Weak and Flanking+Loner I either kill the healer or ensure they're doing nothing other than focus healing themselves. The problem I've run into is that Destro healers on Badlands seem to always run in packs. Not much any one person can do when there's two or more healers focusing someone. :(

I'm actually liking Hunter spec a lot more right now though. Slashing Blade is pretty nasty after the patch. Being able to Pounce past to Destros squishies and lay down some nasty AoE from behind distracts a whole lot of people really fast. I get crap for renown since this usually ends with me dead before people break through to mop up the squishies and the game doesn't seem to reward renown now if you're dead, but I kind of think of it as what I should be doing and it seems to help out a decent amount when I can pull it off.

What I really wanna do is get this coordinated one night with our other two active 40 White Lions. I'm really thinking three people doing the above would mess some people up quickly.

You're absolutely right about Choppas. I can't wait to see more Choppas in T4. The few times I've found a zerk'd Choppa it's been like Christmas. Which is appropriate given my dye job. :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    t6m died?

I really miss my Marauder/Blorc that I started out with and would love to have a group of PAers to play with as I may be playing some destro alts in the near future as I already have 2 40s, another character who is 32 and one who just hit 20 and will rapidly be leveling to 40 on Badlands. When Forts aren't being hit/it's an off night for instance runs it'd be pretty great to have something different to do. Therefore- They are not allowed to die.

Unfortunately my original characters are on Monolith so I can't get them to Iron Rock (that's where T6M is offically, correct?) and I'd have to reroll. Neither was past their mid 20s or had anything resembling good gear though so it's not a huge loss.

http://www.thesixmouths.com/

IP:krypton.typefrag.com
    Port:37798

Only one I ever see on it is me every now and then to check if anyone is in there.

Servers are down for now though until noon.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Cool cool. Might have to hop on Iron Rock and roll up a Marauder tomorrow sometime. Err... today I guess.

I should actually be sleeping right now. Actually I should have been sleeping 4 hours ago.

God damn these boards and my ferret like attention span :P

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    if any of you destruction guys on Iron Rock see a KotBS named Harman, thats me. so make sure to wave and say hello.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So who would i talk to about joining the candymancers? I have a RP and BW in t2 on badlands and am getting kinda bored with soloing all the time.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WolferaWolfera Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So who would i talk to about joining the candymancers? I have a RP and BW in t2 on badlands and am getting kinda bored with soloing all the time.

www.candymancers.com
    Throw an ap up there.

Happy- Any time you want baby, I'll pounce some squishies with you. Oh yeah. :winky:

Wolfera on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some friends are starting on Badlands, Order side, so I guess I am too. What classes don't suck? I haven't played since beta.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Some friends are starting on Badlands, Order side, so I guess I am too. What classes don't suck? I haven't played since beta.

No class sucks, some just have more issues than others. To break it down by archetype:

Tanks: All three are good, IB considered "best". SM's got buffed recently and Knobs have a ton of utility.

Healers: WP's are beasts when played well. Runepriest is considered the "best" pure healer. Archmages have some issues but are getting looked at.

DPS:

Engineers are good, except tinkerers. BW's do hella damage, especially with resists now softcapped at 40%. Shadow Warriors do well, but the consensus is that they need some tweaks.

Witch Hunters got buffed and wear cool hats. White Lions have some issues with pet utility and pet issues in general, but are considered decent. Slayers, well it's a bit too soon to make pronouncements, they tear shit up, though.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    WolferaWolfera Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Would any of you or your friends like a free referral? I would be happy to donate one or five of mine.... :lol:
    But seriously, send me a PM with some emails if any of you are starting new or it's been 60 days since you last were subscribed...

Wolfera on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    übergeek wrote: »
    t6m died?

http://www.thesixmouths.com/

IP:krypton.typefrag.com
    Port:37798

Only one I ever see on it is me every now and then to check if anyone is in there.

Servers are down for now though until noon.

Are you going to be on today? And yeah, you should be able to change ranks as necessary.

Here's the final word on TSM. It was originally a vehicle to get PAers into beta as fast as possible. It worked amazingly and we got more invites than just about any other group. I had a shit plan for anything post-beta (or even late beta, though momentum kind of disguised the issues), and it got so bloated and unfocused that our active players left (too large for any real sense of community) and others lost interest. The Candymancers started smaller and more discriminating, so were able to build and maintain an actual community; props there and I don't think there's any problem calling it out for what it is.

Now we have almost a group worth of active players, all of which play wildly different times. We've got someone on regularly during weekdays, an EST evening person, and myself who tends to be on 9:00 or later on random nights, PST. It's essentially a relaunched - brand new guild and back to a recruiting phase. The goal, which will probably take at least a few months, is to build it into a regular group once-or-twice-a-week thing, even if I need to modify my own schedule to do so. I want to get back to the kind of crew we had early in beta, before people levelled apart at different rates.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is either of the PA guilds on Pheonix Throne? Because that would be pretty sweet.
    Even if one isn't, the PA RPers should just make one.
    Dat way we kin call eechutha gits 'n' whatnot.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That would be nice Morskittar. I'd like to think my chosen wasn't abandoned, I haven't been playing him because there's never anyone on. I really like him so that's been getting me a bit down.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kazaka wrote: »
    Is either of the PA guilds on Pheonix Throne? Because that would be pretty sweet.
    Even if one isn't, the PA RPers should just make one.
    Dat way we kin call eechutha gits 'n' whatnot.

Made one called "The Grotty Knackers" mercenary regiment.

http://realmwar.warhammeronline.com/realmwar/GuildInfo.war?id=598&server=166

If you play the tabletop or know the lore associated with the tabletop, think a Dwarven themed "Dogs of war" mercenary regiment inhabited with rejects from "Snatch", "Boondock Saints" and "Hot Fuzz."

Don't call each other gits, since we're Order, but plenty of references to "piker", "chav", "fook", "ponce", and "poof".

Guild events include:

1. Slayer Fridays: Like casual Fridays, only you don't wear a shirt at all and things die.

2. Regimental Drill: Teach the proper way to keep assault and defend, next ones are on flanking and recon (why "destro inc" is a shitty report and how to do it better).

3. Press Gangs: Beating new people into ranks, used as RP contests. Last one, the "Dwarf jumping" record was set at 3.

4. Will soon add the "Lootin' League" ward runs since we've made it to Inevitable City twice, but don't have the wards to beat it.

5. We're in the Redeemed alliance and they've got a few of their own events up:

http://24.94.94.244/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=dd7cc31a0022e99b207b6cf71cd76704

Monday, we're hanging a witch!

One of my alts had demanded her summary execution at an event a hilw back and now he gets his wish. :^:

For all guild events, participation is paid for. Not much, minimum of a gold piece, done more for RP purposes since, well, we're mercenaries and all. :P

My shitty website:

http://grottyknackers.yuku.com/directory

My arbitrary, unfair rules (you'll recognize rules #1 and #2):

http://grottyknackers.yuku.com/topic/5

My poorly written guild history:

http://grottyknackers.yuku.com/topic/8

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Wren wrote: »
    if any of you destruction guys on Iron Rock see a KotBS named Harman, thats me. so make sure to wave and say hello.

Harman? More like Hymen.

Oooooh!

Also Grrr! Soo close to getting my damn Collar and Rod of Servitude. I have 4 people who are currently "Upgraded". One of you dudes HAS to subscribe. D:

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    That sounds awesome, Widowson. If only I had more time to play.
    That would be nice Morskittar. I'd like to think my chosen wasn't abandoned, I haven't been playing him because there's never anyone on. I really like him so that's been getting me a bit down.

When can you play?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    Are you going to be on today? And yeah, you should be able to change ranks as necessary.

I can be, although I had another disappointing attempt at playing this morning. Lack of healers is killing me, both in game and my patience.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Fun With MetricsFun With Metrics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, thanks to Lucky Cynic I managed to get a trial account going to see if it still worked on my comp, and I seem to be running into a problem. After anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes on any of the servers I get booted back to sever select or character select screen. I was in the beta test for a bit and it worked fine for me ( other than the common boot to desktop bug), and nothing has changed since then.

I doubt its my connection, as any other mmo's work fine with no lag, so I was curious if it's a common problem at all?

I mean all I can think of is that my computer's old and on the lower side of the system specs.

Fun With Metrics on
  • Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So, thanks to Lucky Cynic I managed to get a trial account going to see if it still worked on my comp, and I seem to be running into a problem. After anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes on any of the servers I get booted back to sever select or character select screen. I was in the beta test for a bit and it worked fine for me ( other than the common boot to desktop bug), and nothing has changed since then.

I doubt its my connection, as any other mmo's work fine with no lag, so I was curious if it's a common problem at all?

I mean all I can think of is that my computer's old and on the lower side of the system specs.

What settings are you running on?

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Fun With MetricsFun With Metrics Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    lowest possible

Fun With Metrics on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »

I can be, although I had another disappointing attempt at playing this morning. Lack of healers is killing me, both in game and my patience.

Apparently all we need is Jasconius and his 140+ at-rank-20 healing.

:^:

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Ok, Morsk, Jasc, and Rarvik (I think I misspelled it) just redeemed the game for me. Morsk is a 30 Chosen, Jasc is a 21 Zealot (I think), Rar is a 20 Magus and me on my 18 Squig Herder. The 4 of us did -T3- scenarios and systematicaly destroyed everyone in every Doomfist and Tor Anroc. We only lost once in talabec because.......we don't like it much I guess. I can proudly proclaim having the top 3 kills and top 3 renown every match. If everyone wants to play order, their loss, an underleveled TSM 4 man in scnearios > groups of 29-31 Order players on IR.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, that was pretty fucking epic. I went the first ten minutes of the first Doomfist without dying once and I was fighting the entire time. I've never gotten anywhere near 78 kills before.

I will be making sure my Saturday afternoons are clear for more of this.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah I think we did about 7 scens and the only one we lost was the dam one... because the dam one really requires an entire coordination to leverage a less than optimal group.

I *love* the crater map. It's Zealot heaven. I didn't even exploit that much, mostly just for curiosity. It's just awesome for stonewalling.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It also helps that all 4 of us have banners now, so now I have a free semi mount until lv 20.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Yeah I think we did about 7 scens and the only one we lost was the dam one... because the dam one really requires an entire coordination to leverage a less than optimal group.

I *love* the crater map. It's Zealot heaven. I didn't even exploit that much, mostly just for curiosity. It's just awesome for stonewalling.

Best part was the second to last doomfist where we only had one group and one extra guy and their full 2 groups couldn't break us. Once they finally checked the scoreboard and saw we were outnumbered, they got brave just in time for 5 more guys to join our side and make the sides even. Punting people off the platform is great fun.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    It makes it easy to stall the five slayer rushes when they all get caught running across a bridge at the same time.

And Quake + a platform = heaven. Especially when followed up by a Raze.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.