As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pro Wrestling]ZZ TOP HOSTS RAW NEXT WEEK! Night of Champions July 26th!

• Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I want HDNet now, so I can get in on this ROH goodness.

Also, speaking of rings, I'm curious what you all think of the TNA 6 sided ring. Personally I like it, as it does give TNA a different look and feel to watch without really being distracting. Though I don't know how hard it is to get used to have two more sides to a ring if you've been wrestling awhile.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dig the TNA ring. It gives the fed it's own look...even if it's really not much different in the long run. I don't see how it hinders anything at the least.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dig the TNA ring. It gives the fed it's own look...even if it's really not much different in the long run. I don't see how it hinders anything at the least.

Yeah I like TNA's ring if only because it is different, and seems bigger? And when they used to have guys who could utilize the space it made for some cool moves.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Same thing happened to Mr. Kennedy, since I believe his real name is Kennedy Anderson. They didn't want him unjustly associated with the Anderson wrestling family which he isn't a part of so they just named him Kennedy Kennedy, and toyed with him maybe being Vince's iligitimate son during that whole stupid storyline.

Although, sitting there for around 10 minutes thinking Triple H was his iligitimate son was funny, mainly because of the fact that he is married to Stephanie.
    What is it about Vince/his writers that makes them come up with some of the creepiest shit about Vince's own family?
    When I was thinking of WWE name changes, I got to thinking about how Steve Regal had to change his name because it was too close to Steve Austin, but when they brought in "Dr. Death" Steve Williams, which is Steve Austin's real name, he didn't have to change.

Then that made me think of heel Jim Ross, who managed Dr. Death at the time, and that was funny. Heel JR was pure Wrestlecrap.
    Dr. Death had been around for a long time by the time he got into the WWE. I remember when he was in the Varsity Club w/ Mike Rotunda and Rick Steiner. Damn... that was a long time ago. Kevin Sullivan was still a nasty bastard, even back then.

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    At the time Austin was required to change his name because of Williams if I remember it right.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    ROH probably uses the same ring size that's used in Japan; which I believe is 18' x 18'. WWE uses a slightly bigger 20' x 20' ring.

I'm guessing that 18' is the standard.

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So it looks like with tickets for Roh pre wrestlemania show being only 20 bucks, my first taste of it will be watchinhg it live.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So it looks like with tickets for Roh pre wrestlemania show being only 20 bucks, my first taste of it will be watchinhg it live.

Is that for both nights?

Also, I hate you for getting to see KENTA wrestle in person.
    <3
    Have fun :D

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I like TNA's ring if only because it is different, and seems bigger? And when they used to have guys who could utilize the space it made for some cool moves.

I have seen them live quite a few times and if anything the ring looked way smaller to me. Granted the last time I saw them live was either early 2006 or 2007, but still.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Could be just tv screwing with me then. I remember WcW's old ring looked smaller.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    At the time Austin was required to change his name because of Williams if I remember it right.

Yeah on the Legacy of Austin DVD he mentions thats the reason he is called Steve Austin instead of Steve Williams. They don't want to create confusion on the card.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Honestly Austin sounds better than Williams anyway. Sorry Steve your last name sucked.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think he later had it legally changed to Steve Austin.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I think he later had it legally changed to Steve Austin.

I'm sure I would if I became known world wide as Steve Austin. I mean at that point you might as well.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And in the "nobody cares but me" department, I just today dug up my old EWR game. Spoiled for easy ignoring.
    Heartland Wrestling Association, I'm in April 2010.

I'm ranked 5th/6th in the land, behind WWE, AAA, TNA at Global level and ROH at National. At regular intervals I or NWA: Old School Rulz gain enough popularity to get into a National war with ROH for exactly one week to get punked down in popularity behind the other. Right now I just got punked down to 6% National popularity while NWAOSR is at 9% but when ROH punks them, they'll go down and I'll move past them.

I currently have two TV shows, one on Sci-Fi on Wednesday in the Late Evening slot (which means only half the amount of booking slots for each show) and one on Spike on Friday also in the LE slot. Both are doing around 2.70/2.75, which is fine for Sci-Fi and not good for Spike. But I still have 40 weeks left on the Spike deal, so it should be fine.

I have 57 workers on the books, with Johnny Jeter's contract set to expire in two months and Kenta Kobashi retiring at the end of the month. I also have Josh Prohibition joining me at the end of the month.

My main eventers are Fred Jacobs (Fred La Merveille who went through a stint in a group called The Cult as a lackey going by the name Kroni and then turned face to do an "Inspirational Leader" gimmick), Chris Bosh, Brock Lesnar and Harry "DH" Smith on the face side and Cody Hawk (HWA mainstay who's been with me since the start), Bryan Danielson, Chris Hero and The Messiah (who's doing a cult leader gimmick as the leader of, yes, The Cult) as heels.

I'm trying to hurry through a feud to put Lesnar over Kobashi before he retires. I only brought in Kobashi because Bryan Danielson is out with a Torn Calf for two more months. Eddie Kingston is worse, he's out for 7 with another Torn Calf. And Eddy Sexton is out for a month with a Tricep Strain, which kinda sucks since he's both my TV champion and feuding with Johnny Jeter who's leaving soon.

And my champions are... HWA World champ is Brock Lesnar, HWA Tag champs are Rough'n'Tumble (Roderick Strong and Mistico) and TV champ, well, Eddy Sexton.

Economy looks interesting. The market is way down, like 36% and getting worse, according to Sophie, but I got a feeling that it's about to turn around. If it does, I think HWA could go places. I've got a lot of people with charisma and skills, most of whom I just can't get over because of a lack of TV time. Give me some more of that and I might end up in a position where I can compete with ROH on other than just production value.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    And in the "nobody cares but me" department, I just today dug up my old EWR game. Spoiled for easy ignoring.

I'm ranked 5th/6th in the land, behind WWE, AAA, TNA at Global level and ROH at National. At regular intervals I or NWA: Old School Rulz gain enough popularity to get into a National war with ROH for exactly one week to get punked down in popularity behind the other. Right now I just got punked down to 6% National popularity while NWAOSR is at 9% but when ROH punks them, they'll go down and I'll move past them.

I currently have two TV shows, one on Sci-Fi on Wednesday in the Late Evening slot (which means only half the amount of booking slots for each show) and one on Spike on Friday also in the LE slot. Both are doing around 2.70/2.75, which is fine for Sci-Fi and not good for Spike. But I still have 40 weeks left on the Spike deal, so it should be fine.

I have 57 workers on the books, with Johnny Jeter's contract set to expire in two months and Kenta Kobashi retiring at the end of the month. I also have Josh Prohibition joining me at the end of the month.

My main eventers are Fred Jacobs (Fred La Merveille who went through a stint in a group called The Cult as a lackey going by the name Kroni and then turned face to do an "Inspirational Leader" gimmick), Chris Bosh, Brock Lesnar and Harry "DH" Smith on the face side and Cody Hawk (HWA mainstay who's been with me since the start), Bryan Danielson, Chris Hero and The Messiah (who's doing a cult leader gimmick as the leader of, yes, The Cult) as heels.

I'm trying to hurry through a feud to put Lesnar over Kobashi before he retires. I only brought in Kobashi because Bryan Danielson is out with a Torn Calf for two more months. Eddie Kingston is worse, he's out for 7 with another Torn Calf. And Eddy Sexton is out for a month with a Tricep Strain, which kinda sucks since he's both my TV champion and feuding with Johnny Jeter who's leaving soon.

And my champions are... HWA World champ is Brock Lesnar, HWA Tag champs are Rough'n'Tumble (Roderick Strong and Mistico) and TV champ, well, Eddy Sexton.

Economy looks interesting. The market is way down, like 36% and getting worse, according to Sophie, but I got a feeling that it's about to turn around. If it does, I think HWA could go places. I've got a lot of people with charisma and skills, most of whom I just can't get over because of a lack of TV time. Give me some more of that and I might end up in a position where I can compete with ROH on other than just production value.

What is EWR? I would love to hear updates on matches. The TV rating stuff is all gibberish to me. God damn I need to make a Fire Pro thread.

edit: Is it "promoting my site" if I make a Fire Pro thread with links to quite a few edit websites (including mine)?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I found the ROH show on Dailymotion. This dude has it on his account, split into 4 parts: http://www.dailymotion.com/PowerHorse_110

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

What is EWR? I would love to hear updates on matches. The TV rating stuff is all gibberish to me. God damn I need to make a Fire Pro thread.

edit: Is it "promoting my site" if I make a Fire Pro thread with links to quite a few edit websites (including mine)?

Extreme Warfare Revenge, to steal from Wiki, is "a series of professional wrestling management text simulators created by British programmer Adam Ryland for the PC since 1995." More specifically, it's the last version before it went commercial as Total Extreme Wrestling. You pick a fed, sign wrestlers, book matches, interviews, feuds, try to make your fed as popular as possible. Compared to TEW, it's pretty basic but it's also pretty free, so...

And a good Fire Pro thread would be nice. In fact, I just today tried to get my copy working on a That Which Should Not Be Mentionedelator because my PS2 isn't hooked up anymore. Lack of Vista 64 drivers for my Dual Shock stopped me, tho :(

It's actually pretty odd that there doesn't seem to be any japanese wrestling games for the PS3 in the making. PS2 had Fire Pro, All Star Pro-Wrestling, Wrestle Kingdom, King of Colosseum... PS3 has none in the works, far as I can tell. Come on, I want my region free next-gen KoC!

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Fire Pro Thread....COMMENCE!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Ugh.
    Yay. Piper, Snuka & Steamboat vs Jericho is on for sure. Sounds like a Wrestlemania quality match right there. Bleh.

And Edge Vs Show? Why stink RAW up with this? Because Cena is in LA at Leno? Throw a Divas match in there. Or a Tag match.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    God. Raw is so dumb. It is just not interesting to me at all.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    weird, I'm watching it which I haven't in years and I don't mind it at all. this taker thing is pretty cool, I hope he doesn't lose at mania.

but perhaps it's because I don't have anything invested and don't know what I'm missing.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I wish I was man enough to be Ms Wrestlemania.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Hahaha.

Santino always makes me happy.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Orton is the greatest thing in all of wrestling right now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HClVdgdSBOg

I beg to differ

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And that Chris Jericho segment tonight says "Hey, I disagree, man."

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009

Yeah no

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh man, Santino is the best. I watch Santino's Casa on WWE.com sometimes and it's always awesome. One episode, he was talking about Batista being out of commission because he had to get a hysterectomy. Comedy gold.

Skittlebrau on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh god.

This'll be GREAT.

KID ROCK is going to be performing at Wrestlemania.
    24291491.jpg
    WWE has announced that Kid Rock and lead Pussycat Doll, Nicole Scherzinger, will perform at the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania on April 5 at Reliant Stadium in Houston. (WrestleMania microsite)

Five-time Grammy nominated artist Kid Rock is slated to play a medley of his hit songs, including “Cowboy,” “Bawitdaba,” “Rock N Roll Jesus” and “So Hott.”

In WrestleMania tradition, Scherzinger will open the show with a heartwarming rendition of “America the Beautiful.” Scherzinger joins many musical legends, including Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Ashanti and John Legend, who have kicked-off the pop culture extravaganza.

YES!

Wait, what?

Also, goddamnit:
    93824834.jpg

Ugh...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Legacy wrote: »
    Also, goddamnit:
    93824834.jpg
    Ugh...

Do. Not. Want. :x

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I now love evil Jericho. Just dragged Flair around and beat on him. Which was pretty cringe-worthy. And then smashed his watch, just to be mean.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    And Lawler called out Jericho for RAW next week..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And I'd been telling my friends that Lawler is actually in okay shape, still. Wanted to see him in the old outfit. Now here's the chance! Although the announcement just sorta popped up before all the Orton/HHH stuff took over. Also, strange that he let Flair get beaten on while standing two feet away, and now he wants to fight Jericho...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Welcome to the world of professional wrestling announcer logic. Once the headset goes on, direct involvement turns off. No matter how capable you are to get involved, you can't. Until they learn about wireless headsets so rthat you can commentate and get involved, so that everyone at home who can't actually follow whats going on will rest assured that you can tell them.

I miss the Honk-o-Meter. That was my favorite Santino thing.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2009
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of professional wrestling announcer logic. Once the headset goes on, direct involvement turns off. No matter how capable you are to get involved, you can't. Until they learn about wireless headsets so rthat you can commentate and get involved, so that everyone at home who can't actually follow whats going on will rest assured that you can tell them.

I miss the Honk-o-Meter. That was my favorite Santino thing.

Unless you're Booker T.

TNA may be sucking recently but jesus christ, Booker T announcing was gold, especially when he got in the ring.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I meant to put in the "unlessy you're a guest announcer". Because then the rules are almost opposite at that point. If you have a guest announcer, or any other sort of short term announcer then they are very likely going to get involved in one way or another.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    redfield85 wrote: »

Extreme Warfare Revenge, to steal from Wiki, is "a series of professional wrestling management text simulators created by British programmer Adam Ryland for the PC since 1995." More specifically, it's the last version before it went commercial as Total Extreme Wrestling. You pick a fed, sign wrestlers, book matches, interviews, feuds, try to make your fed as popular as possible. Compared to TEW, it's pretty basic but it's also pretty free, so...

Yeah, EWR is pretty good all things considered. Plenty of roster and picture downloads still around. In mine, I've taken IRON to the top three based around signing all the awesome free agents who are quality wrestlers and putting on consistent four star matches.

It really needed more flexibility with arranging matches and backstage stuff. Also, it'd be nice if women's matches weren't instant drains on the cards. No matter how good they are or how well they develop in the 'minors', the women's matches were always poorly received.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Slight followup to my EWR game. In a word, urgh.
    Remember when I said that the industry might start turning around? No. In July now and it's down to 28% and getting worse. My ratings are down even for Late Night on Sci Fi. The poor performances is affecting morale, I have five unhappy workers, including two of my main eventers, one of whom wants to leave. Which is bad, because unhappy workers are bad in the ring. And none of them are going anywhere, because I'm already down to 54 people on the roster including four people out injured for four, five, six and eight months respectively.

On the plus side, my high flying ultra-charismatic Japanese heel that came up through development debuted with a 99% segment. If I hadn't tried the Machine gimmick on him, he'd have debuted to a Unique gimmick. Now he'll get a Triad gimmick, see how that works out.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2009
    I don't have a problem with Kid Rock performing, lord knows he'll be better than Limp Bizkit was at 19 but...
    In WrestleMania tradition, Scherzinger will open the show with a heartwarming rendition of “America the Beautiful.” Scherzinger joins many musical legends, including Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, Ashanti and John Legend, who have kicked-off the pop culture extravaganza.

So now a pussycat doll is on the same level as Ray and Aretha? Really, WWE, really?!

JustinSane07 on
This discussion has been closed.