As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Policies & Procedures Brainstorming Thread

• Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Is there a way to make a meaningful punishment that's between Jailed and Banned? I was thinking of, I don't know, Prison'd, which would just be longer post times and no new topics, but I thinking over it I don't know that it would be a meaningful rank, as it were.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:
    Another thing that I'd consider amending is the jail system. Most of the people who are jailled are done so accordingly. I wouldn't mind having a break from them for 3-5 days.

Are you saying that a jailing should function as a temp ban?

I'm saying get rid of the word "jail" and just use "ban". Then have a field to put an integer between 1 and 5 to be used at the mod's discression.

Meiz on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Feral wrote:
    I've noticed that once in a while, somebody will get jailed and the mod won't say why in the thread (or maybe they will after 20 or 30 minutes have gone by).

One thing that's very high on the mod wishlist is a link in the jail message to the post that the mod jailed for, and a comment field to write something about the reason.

Echo on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Meiz wrote:
    Another thing that I'd consider amending is the jail system. Most of the people who are jailled are done so accordingly. I wouldn't mind having a break from them for 3-5 days.

Or that instead of jailing just ban them. I think there's only a small percentage of people who are really bothered by a jailing. For most it's just effective enough to make them have to redo their avatar/sig selections, because the rest of it doesn't affect them that much.

It was very annoying to be jailed during a big posting event like E3, but not annoying enough to make me change anything major. Its still a good idea in practice, but breaking spoilers is kind of a bad thing, as shown by that zelda thread.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    A duck! wrote:
    Meiz wrote:

Or that instead of jailing just ban them. I think there's only a small percentage of people who are really bothered by a jailing. For most it's just effective enough to make them have to redo their avatar/sig selections, because the rest of it doesn't affect them that much.

I was bothered the one time I was jailed

I got the PM saying I'd been jailed and I was all "oh shit what did I do :("

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Arcibi wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Meiz wrote:

I was bothered the one time I was jailed

I got the PM saying I'd been jailed and I was all "oh shit what did I do :("

You should have been banned for spoiling the ending of Mother 3, forever! :P :P :P

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    madsimonmadsimon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sounds to me like we need a fresh administration.

madsimon on
    allMad.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    TheHanku6 wrote:
    When a thread was jailed, lot's of spoiler tags were unbbcoded. Maybe only disabling the sig and avatar, and adding the post timer would work?

Actually, yeah, that would be nice. I was once jailed for about 45 minutes because a mod thought I was spoiling something and I wasn't and it created a minor shitstorm elsewhere because suddenly all my tags were undone and a cornucopia of spoilers rained down on the masses.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited December 2006
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    I've noticed that once in a while, somebody will get jailed and the mod won't say why in the thread (or maybe they will after 20 or 30 minutes have gone by).

One thing that's very high on the mod wishlist is a link in the jail message to the post that the mod jailed for, and a comment field to write something about the reason.

Do you mean the jail system automessage PM, or the "Jailed by..." tag in the user's profile?

The jailee can just PM the mod and ask what they did if they're unsure. That's more work for the mod and opens up the possibility for bullshit drama over PM, but that's not what concerns me right now. I'm more talking about a scenario where Alice gets jailed for making a joke deemed "thread derailment," then Bob comes in 20 minutes later, sees that Alice has been jailed but no mod's posted in the thread, assumes that Alice was jailed in a different thread, and riffs off the same joke. Bob then gets jailed for thread derailment. Like I said, it doesn't happen very often. I'm just encouraging the mods to consistently communicate to the community when dispensing punishment.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    madsimon wrote:

State your reasoning. You have 20 seconds to comply.

Echo on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Honestly, I see the merit in moving away from jailing and towards temp banning. I think it would be interesting to poll where forumers stood on the matter, as to which they felt better served the forums as a whole. I'm not saying that's what any decision on the matter would be based on, but I think it'd be an interesting and probably important point in any discussion related to such a decision.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    Meiz wrote:
    Uh, so uh

a ban?

edit; oh fuck you bri <3

Smoochy smoochy

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    madsimon wrote:

I can't say much in 20 seconds, but there's obviously some unrest here.

We couldn't just can everyone, but perhaps a new overall philosophy needs to be realized.

madsimon on
    allMad.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    madsimon wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    madsimon wrote:

Oh, well if there's obviously unrest then yeah, scrap the whole thing.

How about you start erring on the side of explaining yourself and providing constructive contributions

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    madsimon wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    madsimon wrote:

How about you start erring on the side of explaining yourself and providing constructive contributions

Again, I can't say much in 20 seconds.

madsimon on
    allMad.png
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Honestly, I see the merit in moving away from jailing and towards temp banning. I think it would be interesting to poll where forumers stood on the matter, as to which they felt better served the forums as a whole. I'm not saying that's what any decision on the matter would be based on, but I think it'd be an interesting and probably important point in any discussion related to such a decision.
    Broken bbcode is just as annoying to the rest of us as it is to the offender.

I support scrapping it as long as it doesn't lead to a rash of bans for extremely minor offenses.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    madsimon wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    madsimon wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    madsimon wrote:

Okay.

If you make another post about Echo's 20 seconds joke as if he were being serious, I'm banning you until the pain you're causing to my brain ceases.

He was not being serious.

Now either explain yourself and start contributing or find somewhere else to muppet about.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    madsimon wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    madsimon wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    madsimon wrote:

forget the 20 second thing, just make with the typing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Many mods have expressed feelings that the jail system doesn't really work the way we're intended.

Sometimes I use it just because it's there and, well, a jailing is less serious than a ban, mirite?

That's what needs a good rethinking.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:

I support scrapping it as long as it doesn't lead to a rash of bans for extremely minor offenses.

It's never going to be scrapped completely, I don't think. Or at least, not any time soon. It's valuable as a kill switch for goatse spammers, for instance. But where and how it's used is certainly a valid matter for discussion I think, and I just started such a thread in the mod forum based on this.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    People are splintering out of G&T for a reason. One of the reasons is there are way too many games being played on way too many systems to have one thread per game and really expect that thread to be visible for any amount of time.

I can't delve much more into this, or I'll be banned. Hence my original suggestion.

madsimon on
    allMad.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:

Which it would, by the way. I think jailing with a more humiliating avatar, and a post per day limit would be much more effective than what we have now. The only bbcode that should be on are the spoiler and realspoiler tags, because we know what a rash of jailings could do to a thread thats heavy on the spoilers.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Isn't the bantron a bitch to use a lot of the time, though

God, yes. Thanks to the recent purge of 36k old accounts it's now down to a mere 9 pages to scroll through. But you still have to go "His name begins with M... that should be around page 4 or 5..." if you want to check if someone has a previous ban.

Echo on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:

The inability to quote is also irritating to all involved and not just the punished person. As is the weird formatting imposed. I'd suggest just disabling certain tags (stuff like images and the like) if that's possible and leaving the default formatting, quotes, and spoilers be. Of course, I don't know how it's implemented so don't know if that'd require code-reworking or just deleting a couple of variables.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What is the trouble with one thread per game?

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:

I don't like it, simply because banning should be saved for major offenses. Abandoning jailing would lead either to more minor offenses being unchecked, or an increase in banned members for minor offences.

I just think you should change the jail criteria. Like Sixfortyfive said, breaking bbcode is more annoying for others than it is the jailee. Jailed people can't make new topics maybe?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    pheezer FD wrote:
    Isn't the bantron a bitch to use a lot of the time, though
    It's more effort, yeah. It takes a good six or more clicks, and then you have to come in here and post about it and all that.

I think also, as Echo hinted, there's a certain psychological aspect ingrained where it's thought that jailing is less severe and should be used more commonly for the less severe infractions.

Shorter temp bans combined with significant increases in ban time for repeat offenders is an idea that I'm not entirely opposed to, though.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    madsimon wrote:
    People are splintering out of G&T for a reason. One of the reasons is there are way too many games being played on way too many systems to have one thread per game and really expect that thread to be visible for any amount of time.

I can't delve much more into this, or I'll be banned. Hence my original suggestion.

If you are concerned about being banned, PM the rest of your thoughts on the matter to a mod. I feel reasonbly sure no one has ever been banned for a PM in such context.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:

I think he wants a return of the M***threads, which probably isn't going to happen. I think he is right to a certain degree, G&T at least needs more moderators, and some fresh blood might be able to change the mood a bit.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Many mods have expressed feelings that the jail system doesn't really work the way we're intended.

Sometimes I use it just because it's there and, well, a jailing is less serious than a ban, mirite?

Well my reasoning behind it is that people who get jailled consitently are usually people I don't like having around.

If they're gone for 3-5 days it would serve the purpose of telling them what they did was in poor judgement as well as give me and others who share my opinion a sort of vacation.

Meiz on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:

The inability to quote is also irritating to all involved and not just the punished person. As is the weird formatting imposed. I'd suggest just disabling certain tags (stuff like images and the like) if that's possible and leaving the default formatting, quotes, and spoilers be. Of course, I don't know how it's implemented so don't know if that'd require code-reworking or just deleting a couple of variables.
    Wait, why should a punishment be more convenient?

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Aroduc wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:

Not possible, at all. Jailing kills it all and that's the only way it's going to work because of the way the code is. Alpha's commented on this before in the MD and mod forum. It comes up on about an annual basis, I'd say.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    NeoflyNeofly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    madsimon wrote:
    pheezer FD wrote:
    madsimon wrote:
    Echo wrote:
    madsimon wrote:

forget the 20 second thing, just make with the typing.

I'd say that mod rotation would be a good thing. When people stay too much time in power, they become arrogant.

A whole new mod team? Nah, too drastic. One or two old mods stepping down and new people coming in every six or twelve months? Much better.

Of course, the people in power jumped at me when I first suggested it. This is only proof.

Neofly on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:

I think he wants a return of the M***threads, which probably isn't going to happen. I think he is right to a certain degree, G&T at least needs more moderators, and some fresh blood might be able to change the mood a bit.

I'm not necessarily arguing for the return, but it's certainly changed the atmosphere of G&T. We don't have the culture that SE++ does, because by definition we have to be splintered across hundreds of game threads.

Some of the recent modding hasn't helped this culture stay in tact.

madsimon on
    allMad.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

I'd suggest tweaking exactly what a jailing entails.

*Keep spoiler bbcode intact (for everyone's sake), break all other bbcode. (Would require some recoding, but man would it be worth it.)
    *Can't start new topics.
    *May only post once per thread page (just off the top of my head, would probably be a bitch and a half to actually code).

I'd think that would be effective enough.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Neofly wrote:
    Of course, the people in power jumped at me when I first suggested it. This is only proof.

Are you not at all open to the possibility that it's simply a bad idea?

Echo on
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Jinnigan wrote:

As a huge contributor to one of the major megathreads i'll pipe in and say that i'll be glad when megathreads in their current state are gone. Mostly because the conversation devolves from anticipation to inane "this system is awesome" or "what controller should I purchase" type threads after said system launches. It's already happening to the Wii and PS3 threads.

That said, certain community aspect threads, like XBOX Live and Wii code threads should stay live indefinitely, imo.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon