Options

Pre Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 10

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Loki takes his fight EASILY.

Why?

Well, he whips up an illusion Halallax beating the everloving shit out of him, over....and over.....and over....

Sinestro has a huge bank of willpower, but I'm pretty sure re-living your death an infinity amount of times would break you EVENTUALLY.

Ra's Vs. Lex?

Lex finds the Ultimate Nullifier....

Game over...Tournament over...Lex Luthor wins...

Then Talia stabs him through the throat for no apparent reason :p.

Transporter on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    i'm pretty sure reed doesn't actually have an ultimate nullifier, since it's like a chunk of galactus' living body or something

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Putting Sinestro in an Infinite Sue Loop isn't Loki's style.

What is his style is either, shapeshifting into Halallax or making every single Thanagarian look like him or making it appear like Loki is being attacked by a phantasmal Halallax, which might cause Sinestro to spring to his aid, at which point Loki gets the drop on him.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Pantaley ShlopapaPantaley Shlopapa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man sinestro is one butt ugly dude

I'm glad you decided to contribute.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    Sugar MagnoliaSugar Magnolia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man sinestro is one butt ugly dude

I'm glad you decided to contribute.

it needed to be said

Sugar Magnolia on
    shoop.JPG
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Loki and Lex.

Would Loki be able to trick Sinestro into believing that his constructs weren't there? Or would his willpower override that?

To be honest, everytime I think about Lex in this fight my mind goes to DCAU. The Return (I think) and Destroyer episodes specifically. Just so long as Lex doesn't get near Ra's and has a few minutes alone, I'm certain he can pull something off, even if it is something like a string tied to a door tied to the trigger of a gun.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    does anyone know if the baxter building has anything like sleeping gas as a defense system?

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Baxter Building has Ben Grimm as a defense system.

He's Aunt Petunia Favorite Ever-lovin', Blue-Eyed Theft Deterrent.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    i'm pretty sure reed doesn't actually have an ultimate nullifier, since it's like a chunk of galactus' living body or something

Oh man...

You don't know Lex at ALL...

Seriously, he'll be all hacking Reed's computer's, and all of a sudden, he'll be all "OH SHIT, ULTIMATE NULLIFIER"....

Then he'll just say "Fuck the fight, I'm finding the Ultimate Nullifier"

Or he'll just teleport Blaastar...

[spoiler:598955befa] THE LIVING BOMB BURST!![/spoiler:598955befa]

into the Baxter building while he just chills in the N-zone, sipping on some margarita's with Annihilus.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:

Oh man...

Seriously, he'll be all hacking Reed's computer's, and all of a sudden, he'll be all "OH SHIT, ULTIMATE NULLIFIER"....

but see that doesn't make any sense, because i don't think reed has one and lex can't leave the building to go get one

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Sugar MagnoliaSugar Magnolia Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Or he'll just teleport Blaastar...

[spoiler:a9e02a4576] THE LIVING BOMB BURST!![/spoiler:a9e02a4576]

into the Baxter building while he just chills in the N-zone, sipping on some margarita's with Annihilus.

'cept he's not allowed to leave. Lex is a pretty rude dude, but he knows that rules is rules.

Maybe Loki will make some thanagarian look like himself, whom Sinestro will kill. Than, feeling satisfied, he leaves the planet and gets disqualified.

Sugar Magnolia on
    shoop.JPG
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Servo wrote:

Oh man...

but see that doesn't make any sense, because i don't think reed has one and lex can't leave the building to go get one

Sorry, I was trying to be, oh, what do people call it...

Oh! Humerous!

Didn't go over very well :p.

Yeah, getting the UN is out of the option, however, I can TOTALLY see Lex going after the thing that can cancel out anything, even if he did lose the fight.

However, since I am now required to actually post somthing of merit, I can see lex Teleporting in various dangerous people/creatures for Ra's to die to, all the while combing Reed's files for anything worth merit.

Hell, I can see him just grabbing a Fantasticar and ruining Ra's shit with it.

Transporter on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lex = Tech++, Chem+
    R'as = Chem++, Tech+

This shouldn't even be an issue - Lex will be right at home with all the tech Reed's got hanging around the office.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    For the record, it would be glorious to see Lex's inevitable victory here played out in comic book form.

Glorious.

Yeah. I'm a big supporter of the Lex tech theory. Everything in the building is his plaything.

I'm going to have to go with Loki for the first match, too.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm really not grasping the reasoning you guys are throwing out here. Yes Lex is a genius. Yes, he could easily figure out how to use whatever he finds. But why is everyone assuming Ra's is just going to leave him alone to go explore the building? Genius or not, it would take Lex at least minute or two to figure out what the hell a particular item or computer DOES, let alone how to operate it. It's not like Reed Richards has giant fucking signs hung up everywhere explaining everything. Ra's might not be a tech genius, but he's no idiot. There's no way he gives Luthor any breathing room to work with.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm really not grasping the reasoning you guys are throwing out here. Yes Lex is a genius. Yes, he could easily figure out how to use whatever he finds. But why is everyone assuming Ra's is just going to leave him alone to go explore the building? Genius or not, it would take Lex at least minute or two to figure out what the hell a particular item or computer DOES, let alone how to operate it. It's not like Reed Richards has giant fucking signs hung up everywhere explaining everything. Ra's might not be a tech genius, but he's no idiot. There's no way he gives Luthor any breathing room to work with.

the baxter building is pretty effing big. assuming they don't start out face to face, it could take them a while to even find one another, and as other people have said, lex (or ra's really) could barricade himself in a room while he slaps together another time machine made of orange juice.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    See I always assumed the two fighters always started at least within sight of each other. That kind of makes a big difference in a fight like this. Anybody know the "official" ruling?

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    If all the fighters started at arm's length, it would make the fights a lot shorter and pretty much negate the purpose of choosing an arena other than just a gladiator ring.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    well even so, lex could just pop off a couple of .45s to keep ra's head down while he ran up some stairs or something

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    They both start off witha a gun and a rapier. Who's the better shot? Lex would be able to get some cool tech going, but its not like he'll be able to make a tech suit or anything. Ra's being on par with batman in a lot of areas, could easily get the drop on Lex for the win I'm thinking. I think Ra's could keep away/dodge/evade most security system stuff, although eventually he would slip up.

I really think it depends on if they see each other or not. If Lex goes 'control the security system' route, he will win. But if they meet in person I'd have to give it to Ra's.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    But wait, they're both in the Baxter Building with the aforementioned security systems (ie. lasers and shit). Security systems generally attempt to keep intruders out, so wouldn't it be reasonable to believe that the building's defenses would be going apeshit and trying to take them both out?

If so, it'd make this fight a shit-ton more awesome than it already is.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    All I know is I want Lex to dive behind a desk while at the same time firing dual-wielded pistols.

And there should be an explosion in the background.

Furu on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    But wait, they're both in the Baxter Building with the aforementioned security systems (ie. lasers and shit). Security systems generally attempt to keep intruders out, so wouldn't it be reasonable to believe that the building's defenses would be going apeshit and trying to take them both out?

Well, Lex would be more likely to hijack it before it could do much harm to him, seeing as he almost definitely has a similar system installed in several of his own facilities.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:
    All I know is I want Lex to dive behind a desk while at the same time firing dual-wielded pistols.

Don't forget the doves.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    mcwillipmcwillip Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    i think we need a ruling on starting proximity to be able to have any meaningful discourse on the lex/ra's fight.

mcwillip on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:

Well, Lex would be more likely to hijack it before it could do much harm to him, seeing as he almost definitely has a similar system installed in several of his own facilities.

I dunno, during that "short time" of Lex trying to hack the security system, the ensuing chaos and assumed power outage could give Ra's a pretty significant advantage. For the reals.

Pantaley Shlopapa on
    flash1.png
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think it's pretty obvious that for the first fight, Loki will win.

God of mischief makes everyone on Thanagar appear to look like Loki to Sinestro. After killing a great deal of the birdmen, Thanagar declares war on Sinestro and should eventually kill him or be weakened enough for Loki to come over and kick to death.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Furu wrote:

And Doves.

Shit, I think Reed might have a John Woo machine on.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sinestro is an evil galactic warlord who's held whole planets in his grasp.

Loki is a snivelling kid who loses to *everybody*. If Sinestro could whip up a construct Thor, Loki would wet his pants and run away.

Sinestro wins.

As for Lex/Ra's

Anywhere but Lexcorp or the Baxter Building, and Ra's wins. In the Baxter Building, all Lex has to do is buy time/escape the first encounter, and he's got all the aces and then some.

Goin with Luthor

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Loki to win the first match.
    Seriously, on a populated planet where the only rule is that you can't leave, how the hell is sinestro supposed to know where to strike? Loki will win, but this fight will probably take a LONG time. I'm talking about years maybe before loki gets the lucky shot in(or, atleast, someone that he tricked into attacking sinestro). If Loki never gets a shot in, sinestro eventually dies of old age. Loki still wins.

Lex for the second match
    It all depends how far apart they start. Its a big arena, so I'm gonna assume they start atleast outside of visual range. Assuming they start far apart, one of two things will happen. Lex will either take control of the security system and laser Ra's from behind, or this fight will turn into a weird episode of battlebots, which Lex would win at. If they start within visual range, I don't think Lex has that much of a chance. Ra's beats him in every aspect of pistol/sword fighting from what I understand. Still, big arena, I'm betting on the first scenario.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    No lethal laser in the Baxter Building security system arsenal.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Not until Lex hacks into the safety protocols anyway. Remove the regulators, crank the voltage up. It may only fire once before overloading or breaking, but I think he could do it.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Not until Lex hacks into the safety protocols anyway. Remove the regulators, crank the voltage up. It may only fire once before overloading or breaking, but I think he could do it.

How would he hack the safety protocols? The Baxter Building doesn't have a security room because there are no security guards. I'm pretty sure that the only one who can change the system is Reed through voice commands and maybe devices he keep on his person.

Furthermore, when the FF employs tons of humans and is regularly visited by an elderly mailman I'm pretty sure even non-lethal lasers are out of the question since they could easily do permanent damage to a frail human being.

And if there were laser guns on the ceilings, wouldn't Ra's notice them and be smart enough to move outside their small range?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Furthermore, when the FF employs tons of humans and is regularly visited by an elderly mailman I'm pretty sure even non-lethal lasers are out of the question since they could easily do permanent damage to a frail human being.

that's the kind of attitude that gets your nuclear robots stolen by aim

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I was really just using lasers as an example. It doesn't have to be lasers. It can be an electrical charge through the floor, lasers, robot ninjas, funky purple knockout gas... whatever.

... and in a recent issue of something(can't remember the title), a kid hack's Reed's computer from an outside phone line, even thought reed is sititng tight in front of the computer at the time and was actively trying to convince the hacker to stop. I'm sure Lex could get even greater results considering he'll be inside the structure.

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The kid who was hacking Reed's equipment was, I'm sure, using more than a rapier and two guns to break into the system.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Found where i saw the kid hack the computer. It was in Hulk 100. His name was Cho and he's apparently the 7th smartest kid on earth(in 616 marvel anyway). He actually read how to do it from the notes of bruce banner and then used Banner's encrypted emergency line to the F4 to get in. He was able to move freely around Reed's systems, even though Reed heard the phone ring and was trying his hardest to shut the kid down. Like someone else said before... Reed sucks at making his computer systems hacker-proof. If lex can find an active computer terminal in the building, he should be able take control. Almost every time I've seen interior shots of the baxter building theres a computer terminal that Reed is working on or theres one in the background. I thought Lex was one of the biggest technical geniuses on the DCU's earth.

I still think the fight between Lex and Ra's would depend on how far apart they are at the beginning. If Lex can take control of the building's computers before Ra's finds him, Lex will win. If not, Ra's will destroy him.

GoodCitizen on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Loki to win the first match.
    Seriously, on a populated planet where the only rule is that you can't leave, how the hell is sinestro supposed to know where to strike? Loki will win, but this fight will probably take a LONG time. I'm talking about years maybe before loki gets the lucky shot in(or, atleast, someone that he tricked into attacking sinestro). If Loki never gets a shot in, sinestro eventually dies of old age. Loki still wins.

Why wouldn't Sinestro just, you know, kill everybody?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, Thanagarians aren't exactly cavemen here.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Well, Thanagarians aren't exactly cavemen here.
    Are they xenophobes?

robosagogo on