As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Figain Arena! Trash Talking Thread!

• Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nicely done our fiendish foes! sorry for my incorrect rule-lawyering followed by moving drama, and congrats to you for vanquishing us expeditiously!

streever on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Team Whatever Our Name Is will totally kick you sneaky bastards asses...

If we can get our goddamned armor working properly.

LightRider on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Team Yogurt are super fucked.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I completely owned that initiative roll. :P now its just a matter of can I hit hard enough and fast enough. (most likely that initiative used up all my luck)

bratr on
  • Options
    incasincas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you know, if ogerth rolls 20, we're doomed anyway.

figgy: thank you. /bow. I love improvisation.

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The feeling of doom hangs in the air regardless of who goes first....

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If Team Sneaky Bastards manages to lose this match I'm firing you both from 4E.

Forever. :V

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hey, paladins are legitmate threats...

OK, you got me, I'm laughing too now.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bratr i will <3 you forever if you edit your post to spell rogue properly :D

streever on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    streever wrote: »
    bratr i will <3 you forever if you edit your post to spell rogue properly :D

Yes, please...for all of our sakes.

Also, as a rule you should link your roll on Invisible Castle so your opponents know you aren't cheating.

El Skid on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought it was better to view it as a monologue of some sentient make up.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    @fiaryn: here's how we lose this match

1. Ogerth rolls init between me & bratr
    2. Bratr fluffs rolls / Ogerth manages to survive
    3. On his turn, deal 28 damage (which, as a barbarian, he is entirely qualified to do without even action pointing)
    4. Azulan's turn, he comes in and deals 30 damage to Bratr. He doesn't even need to deal so much, since Ogerth can come over after killing me and mess him up a little.

but yes, I am really hoping Ogerth rolls badly for initiative...

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    cleaned up & modified a bit, competitive D&D could be kind of fun, couldn't it? with a little podcast commentary? hmm.

streever on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Should I change his token into some lipstick?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    hmmm,
    i think a good mod would be to reduce the randomness, seeing the two 1's for ini... it adds a lot to the current game, where you have a full team, but with 2 people the randomness can end a whole round, can't it? maybe some other way to do ini would be a good experiment.

streever on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hmmm,
    i think a good mod would be to reduce the randomness, seeing the two 1's for ini... it adds a lot to the current game, where you have a full team, but with 2 people the randomness can end a whole round, can't it? maybe some other way to do ini would be a good experiment.

I personally enjoy the randomness of it, but i think as far as the arena is currently concerned, it's really deciding too much as far as who wins based on initiative. expect to see a more intuitive map next season.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd go so far as to say Initiative is the single most important roll in this game right now.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I agree, but a much larger/intricate arena map would fix that. So large, in fact, that it would be very difficult to make an attack on the first round.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    and restrict missle weapons to be without ammo? that'd make sense in an old-fashioned gladiatorial way. Weapon restrictions could be really interesting!

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Damn I needed one more space to be able to melee.... i swear I am doing something wrong

bratr on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    bratr: next time name the attack you are using and the target in the comments section

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bratr: you should be able to draw weapon/move/CHARGE to attack

so it's,
    MINOR: Draw Weapon
    MOVE: move 2 squares
    STANDARD: Charge attack with special attack, you get to move the rest of the spaces you need, then,
    ACTION POINT: Unleash your ultimate powers/yada yada

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bratr: you should be able to draw weapon/move/CHARGE to attack

so it's,
    MINOR: Draw Weapon
    MOVE: move 2 squares
    STANDARD: Charge attack with special attack, you get to move the rest of the spaces you need, then,
    ACTION POINT: Unleash your ultimate powers/yada yada

"Special attack"? Unless specified, charges are always basic melee attacks.

Figgy on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Figgy wrote: »
    Should I change his token into some lipstick?

Yes.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I was hoping to hit twice, sorry about the comment. I didn't do it with my trick attack either, you can penalize me if you feel I cheated.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bratr gets two turns? What am I missing here?

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I should have made it an edit maybe but my spoiler clearly states ACTION POINT

Edit: I'm new to this please criticize without completely humiliating me (if thats even possible)

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Your crossbow will be lying on the floor at your feet for next turn. You would need to use a free action to drop it in order to then use a shuriken (even with quick draw).

Edit: Looks like it is a hand crossbow.. damn your super uninformative spoilers. Still, can you throw a shuriken with your off-hand?

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll edit my post to drop the crossbow

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    is switching weapons a free or minor action? Right now I have crossbow in On-hand, Mace in Off-hand, not that I'm looking for some strange dual-wield action but I can't be pissed to draw my mace on another turn when I may need a minor.

I agree, Initiative is the single most important roll in the game right now.

The standard action to Perception Check for traps seems really expensive though; I briefly considered it but was afraid I'd fluff it and waste my action point. Perhaps as a minor action(with penalties that a standard perception wouldn't have)? being a cynical bastard I'm afraid to move at all.

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It is a minor action to draw a weapon or sheath a weapon.

Usually, people just drop them on the ground (free action) then draw the new weapon (minor).

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And next turn Free action to drop and minor to pick up right?

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well, yeah; now I've both weapons in my hands. if i recall correctly there's a passage on dual wielding describing how an attack may be made with either hand at no penalties, so theoratically, i should be able to wield a loaded crossbow in my on-hand (threatening ranged attacks against opponents) and still swing with my mace in my off-hand (threatening melee attacks), depending on what Azulan does. I just can't load the crossbow after I shoot it, is all.

what about holding weapons in my teeth? can I bite my mace as a free action, reload, and then wield it again? [/cheeky.]

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm frightened by the number of free actions in that turn. Amazing.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Note my Rouge has decided to changes classes to Rogue

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    If I may say something - maybe season 2 should involve a team of 3, or less reliance on initiative orders, or have an alternate dicerolling system (I read a system where the DM allowed his players to roll 5 dice, and use those results in any order for their next d20 rolls, so they could plan out their moves, combat moved faster, encounters & dailies really worked out properly, etc).

much as I'm really glad that Ogerth dropped (and it took two of us to fell him, compared to him potentially killing both of us in one turn if he'd gone Swift Charge barbarian instead of thaneborn) I guess it's really not fun for him to be dropped just because he rolled low on initiative (how fun, 1d20 and his participation is over). c'est la vie all you want, but I'd like to advocate some sort of protection for players. maybe allow a single surprise round for all participations where attacks are not allowed, to allow them to manoeuvre, draw weapons, set up barricades or traps, climb pillars, etc.

not that the team of 3 would solve any problems; six sly flourishes with crossbows or three split the trees etc are still going to be lethal, but there is a hope that with 3, even if they do finish off one bugger in one turn, you can still take down one of theirs with the 2 players left. it's hard and despondent when it gets to 1 v 2, action points and everything. (unless you're Ogerth.) 3 also sets up interesting kooky Defender/Defender/Leader possibilities and de-fangs Striker/Striker/Striker a bit after the nova turn.

but this is 4e, and really unbalanced, so maybe nevermind.

incas on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was very surprised to see the first round arena map puts the combatants within line of sight and a single movement action of each other.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can't use an at-will in a charge? oh man.

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No, a charge is a basic melee attack. There are some exceptions I think, but they are specifically noted in every case.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    I was very surprised to see the first round arena map puts the combatants within line of sight and a single movement action of each other.

Not quite one movement, I have 7, needed 8

bratr on