As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E] The Figain Arena! Trash Talking Thread!

• Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, if anyone has a ranger with a long-bow, the appropriate starting distance from each side would be 47 squares (40 square range for the longbow + 7 squares speed for an Elf). :)

cytorak on
  • Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lets do it then we'll have 50 elf rangers signed up, similar result lol

EDIT: So does Orgreth have only four hours left to death save before the paladin goes?

bratr on
  • Options
    streeverstreever Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    LOL Bratr
    I think a good suggestion would be to eliminate missle weapons--restrict to close range thrown/melee. It's deifnitely part of the gladiator style, too :D

streever on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I think instead of eliminating missile weapons we'll just have the players start behind a wall.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    incasincas Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    or, randomly, face to face/in base-to-base contact. that way, the rangers would have to either shift and shoot (and therefore be only 1 square away from melee) or take 2 OAs and possibly go down.

's a bit unlucky, though, because whereas in a gladiator arena you could, I don't know, dodge arrows or something, charge before the guy loaded, nocked and loosed, here the shooty buggers usually have higher dex and therefore better Initiative, so... =\ hand crossbows and shurikens and the like would pass, I guess, being sorta "personal weapons", but 40-square longbows?

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Who wouldn't want one lol, For the close range thing, shift out of range of OA, move, action point to shoot

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    oh, schweiß, a healer. can you get CA against them? this time, Ogerth goes and stays permanently down.

does being prone count as CA? I forget.

incas on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you're using a melee attack, you have CA. If you're using ranged, you take a -2 penalty.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TorgoTorgo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The arena size basically determines the outcome of every fight. Whoever rolls highest for Initiative is going to win unless you move it to +20/40 size arenas. Then it's all about the ranged characters being able to snipe before other characters reach them.

I suggest that each group gets to place "X" number of barriers, hazards, and traps around the arena. Some add obstructions, others add the element of danger to movement and approaching the other team. The other team couldn't just charge directly up to the opposing team without being at risk of falling into a trap. Also, add teleporting squares so that archers can't just snipe the other side endlessly.

Add some TACTICS up in this to keep it from being stale.

Torgo on
    History is a spoiler for the future. (Me on Twitter)
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Please tell me my teammate is just waiting to strike at the opportune moment and not abandoning me to arrowy elfy death...

Also, sorry for calling you a drow Elendil. I'd change it, but I cannot.

LightRider on
  • Options
    TunnelRunnerTunnelRunner Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A suggestion I've not yet heard is that, rather than roll up PCs to use in Figain Arena, we select (or are assigned) creatures from the MM or MM2.

Hmm. Perhaps I'll organize a Monster Fight myself?

TunnelRunner on
    Pkmn D FC: 1591 5067 6103 --- KotS
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This was discussed in the main 4E thread. While 4th Edition characters are poorly balanced against each other, 4th Edition monsters are possibly even moreso

Monsters are designed with the PCs in mind, they don't stack up in a sane way against each other. Fights will either go really fast or take forever.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That reminds me, it'd be entertaining if somebody ran a 4th Edition version of those old-school 'tournament' challenging dungeons; make a reasonable length delve with very tough monster encounters (by level and complimentary tactics) and numerous traps and puzzles. Then run multiple instances of it and see which parties complete it.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    @LightRider - looks like my partner is not posting either. do you want to partner up and move on to the next round? I need a [strike]meat shield flanker CA provider somebody to distract my targets[/strike] capable and intelligent partner

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You want me, a lawful and good defender of the people and champion of Bahamut to team up with...with whatever you are?

That just sounds wrong.

But you're probably better than an unconcious barbarian, so I guess I can use you to better effect.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LightRider wrote: »
    You want me, a lawful and good defender of the people and champion of Bahamut to team up with...with whatever you are?

That just sounds wrong.

But you're probably better than an unconcious barbarian, so I guess I can use you to better effect.

You forget though, you can throw an unconscious barbarian!

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    um, hello, drow? chaotic evil? of course I'd betray my teammate at the first sign of trouble.

but, uh, of course, I won't betray you, future teammate ^^

AinSoph/Figgy: What happens now? and Mr Soph, you've given me an excellently exciting idea for a warforged/shifter combo...

incas on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    :oops:Oh, shit. I went on vacation, and I did not expect to get healed. I figured the combat was over! Sorry dudes. Should we continue with this? I apologize to everyone involved in my round :oops:

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    JUST START KILLING ROGUES!

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well, it's been two days, and bratr hasn't posted. do I ignore him and post? do I go single combat with the paladin?

...sod this. bring it, initiative!

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You can go ahead and post

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm such a bloody winker. anyway I hope bratr posts soon, otherwise I might have to kill the both of them myself. and I might too, assuming they don't do evil second wind/lay on hands bullshit...

LightRider, MolotovCockatoo, I defy you to attack me and not muck about healing and schweißnick!

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure what movement you sent to Ain, but you still need to make a stealth check in order to actually "hide."

Cloud of Darkness gives you total concealment (-5 to hit against). You still need to move and make a stealth check to hide. If they are in the cloud, they are "Blind" and you do get CA against them.

Edit: Your stealth check is opposed by both your enemies' passive perception. If you moved more than 2 squares, you take a -5 hit to that check.

On their turn, they can make a perception check (as a minor) to try and beat your stealth check (you don't roll again, they go against your original roll).

However, you are no longer hidden since you made an attack. You still benefit from "total concealment," but I'm pretty sure we would now know where you are. Just because you are in total concealment does not mean you're stealthed.

Also, Ogerth should never have went down in the first place, since he would have gained +5 Temp HP after he was first bloodied (Half Orc Resilience).

EditEdit: Just checked your roll list on IC to see if you did a stealth check, and no.. but why do you have like 5 different rolls on there? You've got a few random d6 rolls and then you rolled your damage roll twice.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    why do i need to post?

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I sort of knew there was a stealth check somewhere in there but I wasn't too sure. I apologise for failing at stealth/concealment rules; not too sure how cloud of darkness works ><. in which case I'd like to re-do my move action and stealth check and things.

ah, you've caught me cheating... um no. I was mucking about with the roll engine, yeah =x. I'm insecure and fairly worried about lady luck in general mucking about with me. you've no idea how unnaturally often I've ballsed simple rolls up (admittedly I'm rolling well in the campaign...which is why I'm wary) I used the first rolls, I'd like to point out. will not muck about next time ><

so now what? does Ogerth get a retro-active turn (our initial barrage apparently would have left him at 3hp after his THP addition, enough for him to entirely slaughter the lot of us)? may I re-do my move/stealth.

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'd really like you to get a turn in before I go again Ogerth.

Please start smashing these thieving little buggers!

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    retcon! Roll it back to where Ogerth had 3 hp! :D more exciting for us all. Roleplay it.

oh and Bratr, you are dazed, so I think only 1 action

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Can I get a ruling from the DM's? What should we do here?

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    definitely wait, because I am fairly sure that Bratr can't do more than 1 action while dazed--I don't have my books with me though

streever on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    streever wrote: »
    definitely wait, because I am fairly sure that Bratr can't do more than 1 action while dazed--I don't have my books with me though

While dazed you have only 1 action. You can't take opportunity actions, immediate reactions or immediate interrupts. You also grant combat advantage.

You can however (and this is often important) still take extra actions by spending an action point.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    the only one with action points, though, is Ogerth, because the lot of us blew our load the first chance we got.

...which makes Ogerth's turn all the more lethal.

can you take free actions while dazed?

incas on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Even if we retcon to take into account Ogerth's Half Orc Resilience, he would still go down on the incas' latest turn.

Right now, Lightrider can take Ogerth's turn for him. Reinsert him into the initiative order whenever you decide to move for him, Light, as if he had been delaying.

And yes, dazed means you only get a single action. Free actions are allowed.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can make it a drop of the crossbow and a ranged attack with a shuriken, same result.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    While a shuriken is technically a light blade, Torturous Strike is a melee power. You can't use a ranged weapon.

Figgy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You guys really need to read the limits and descriptions on your powers.

Ain Soph on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yea LightRider you can go ahead and play for me, I don't really know whats going on anymore. Sorry, it's mostly my fault, I didn't think my round would come up while I was gone. These Arena fights are pretty fast and furious it seems.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    @LightRider re: your arena post.

as of the last move, (round 2, only incas's turn) L'Madrigal (henceforth, "bastardism drow rogue") and Azulan (you) are all full, Elendil (henceforth, "Elf Rogue") is down 7 to 23, Ogerth (Big Threat Barbarian) is down at -1.

However, there are a few problems.

Firstly, Elf Rogue turn, which should be before Drow Rogue turn, is rendered invalid because he's trying to do a melee attack with a ranged weapon. no clue DM's ruling.

Second, DM ruling allows you (Lightrider) with MolotovC's blessing to take Ogerth's turn. logically you should take his turn before the attack which drops him, e.g. my turn, while at 3 hp after expending Half-Orc Resilience.

tl;dr

Round 1
    Elf Rogue - turn taken (Ogerth is damaged to 14, bloodied, Half-Orc Resilience triggers)
    Drow Rogue - turn taken (Ogerth at 19, takes 16 damage, goes down to 3hp. is still standing)
    Ogerth turn - never taken, assumed delay via DM ruling.
    Your turn - LOH Ogerth, Divine Challenge, Radiant Delirium (Ogerth gains 9hp)

End Result: Drow Rogue, Helf Pala full hp; Elf Rogue 27 hp, Ogerth 12 hp

Round 2
    Elf Rogue - illegal move, no reply from bratr
    Drow Rogue - turn taken but several discrepancies emerge suggesting retcon move+stealth to hide actions necessary. (shenanigans, dealing 24 damage to Ogerth)

which brings us to the present; Drow Rogue, Helf Pala full; Elf rogue 27, Ogerth -12

I predict terrible, terrible messes occuring, and offer to commit honourable seppuku if all other combatants agree as well, to avoid terrible time-travelling OrcBarb-nonsense.

...assuming there's a season 2 of Figain Arena, of course. I'm bringing in a far, far, farrrrrrr less complicated character next time ><

incas on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Too many rules violations, cleanse the whole arena with fire, it's the only solution.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's your answer to zombies Jam!

streever on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I like time travel.
    and yes round three has been mired by tons of mistakes and other crap.
    I'm going to have everyone reroll initiative and start the fight over again....now!

Ain Soph on