As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Character Screenshot Thread 8: Screenshot Harder

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the absurdity of it all. A flying astral pony vomiting rainbow on haters. Brilliant.

reVerse on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I find it about on the level of the pictured 'haters'.

Then again, I find Blingee to be one of the most hillarious things ever, so who knows. I never get tired of that.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Hey guys, we have a panel without text in it" "Well you gotta have them saying SOMEthing" NO YOU DON'T!

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's neither a robot nor a unicorn. Your(My) dreams will not come true with that.

Also, terrible everything else.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yea with no text it would have been better, it did nothing for me until I got to the robot unicorn lyrics (basically just the very last panel)

Edit: Actually I think just the panel where its rainbowing out of its mouth, followed by the panel of it flying away with the lyrics works better
    ed.png

override367 on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The only thing amusing about it is the wall of QQ when they are getting blasted. Even that is one of the several memes they collected and stuffed into the comic though.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Soaring above the desert

th_Lightwing_desert.jpg
    I will never stop until you all play with me.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Watch out for that Sun, there.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    reVerse wrote: »
    Watch out for that Sun, there.

It's okay those feathers aren't being held in with wax.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    I really wanted to like CO. But it was so repetitive.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Like CoH/CoV? Yeah, that's why I haven't tried the Trial yet. I sort of expect the repetition that CoH had in spades.

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    From my experiences, CO is a worse offender than CoX. It's mainly due to the lack of any different quests. The fact that you need to do every single quest to level means that every alt (and the whole superhero genre really encourages alts) experiences the same content. At least playing CoX I had a different experience each time.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Wren wrote: »
    god that clever girl quote does not work AT ALL

Wait, that's a quote? You mean from Jurassic Park? I assumed it was literally, "you quietened the haters; good pony" and not a reference to anything.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Wait, that's a quote? You mean from Jurassic Park? I assumed it was literally, "you quietened the haters; good pony" and not a reference to anything.

Doubtful, given that the "humorous" punchline of the comic is just a reference to robot unicorn attack.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Riale wrote: »
    From my experiences, CO is a worse offender than CoX. It's mainly due to the lack of any different quests. The fact that you need to do every single quest to level means that every alt (and the whole superhero genre really encourages alts) experiences the same content. At least playing CoX I had a different experience each time.

It is, but it's getting better. Hopefully some of those who enjoyed the game but became bored with the lack of varied content will return later when there is sufficient alternate leveling content.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    Like CoH/CoV? Yeah, that's why I haven't tried the Trial yet. I sort of expect the repetition that CoH had in spades.
    CO is a different beast. Where CoX is killing dudes in the same 5 instanced locations over and over CO is closer to traditional MMOs in that the quests mostly take place in the overworld, with the occasional trips into instances for story related fun.
    Its main problem is that there aren't enough quests to offer a different experience to an alt, but just getting one character through it is lots of fun.

Glal on
  • Options
    LieberkuhnLieberkuhn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

Doubtful, given that the "humorous" punchline of the comic is just a reference to robot unicorn attack.

Oh my goodness. I'd never heard of Robot Unicorn Attack before I read this so I googled it and dear god that game is glorious.

Lieberkuhn on
    While you eat, let's have a conversation about the nature of consent.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    jeepguy wrote: »

Oh my goodness. I'd never heard of Robot Unicorn Attack before I read this so I googled it and dear god that game is glorious.

It really is.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Idling in Nakano, mostly just for the theme music.

20100525_0234_18.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf2uXxZoMqM

Yeah, I still play this sometimes, but not often. (I've been that level for like the past year+)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    TophuTophu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is that a Wyrmslayer I see? Mwahaha

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Is that a Wyrmslayer I see? Mwahaha

Indeed, thar be a wurmy.

I miss the old days of EQ. /rosecoloredglasses

Tophu on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    The rosiest of glasses. EQ is a terrible game.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

That's a statement of opinion many people would disagree with.

Tophu on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tophu wrote: »

EQ was the forefather of the modern MMO. Were it not, the game would be regarded as terrible by everyone - because compared to those after it, it's crappy.

That being said I loved the game when I played it.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think a lot of people that played EQ prolly had a love/hate relationship with the game. I have lots of fond memories of it but there's no way in hell I'd play it now....not without some changes and an updated UI.

Poketpixie on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Poketpixie wrote: »
    I think a lot of people that played EQ prolly had a love/hate relationship with the game. I have lots of fond memories of it but there's no way in hell I'd play it now....not without some changes and an updated UI.

Not to be a goose or anything, but from my guildies in EQ2 chatting here and there, it seems like EQ1 never really stood still and almost always had something "on the horizon" or that next patch to look forward to.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Also, I finally finished my new set of armor that I handcrafted for myself and bought a new mount. Level 48 Shadowknight with 77AA. I've stalled off leveling and am doing a bunch of exploration quests and achievements along with making some coin. So far so good.

newmount98324.png

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EQ was a great game for its time. Saying it sucked because the combat and stuff were simple compared to WoW and current games is like saying Super Mario Brothers sucks because all you do is run and jump. It was a much harsher game, and doesn't stand up in fun mechanics to current games, but the current games wouldn't exist the way they do without it either.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EQ is the old grizzled biker guy in the bar that snarls at the rush of these punk college kids who have it so easy.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    EQ was a great game for its time. Saying it sucked because the combat and stuff were simple compared to WoW and current games is like saying Super Mario Brothers sucks because all you do is run and jump. It was a much harsher game, and doesn't stand up in fun mechanics to current games, but the current games wouldn't exist the way they do without it either.

Yes and no.

You're right, its not fair to compare EQ to the games of today because they really have come a long way in terms of gameplay, ease of play, and various other areas. I'd say this progress is probably more obvious in RPGs (and MMOs) than any other genre.

However, I can still go back and play Super Mario Bros. The controls are still responsive, the game is still challenging without being unfair, and its still easy to pick up and play. I can't say the same for EQ.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That mount looks badass.

My Swashbuckler has the Inferno Mount, which looks pretty good too. (The one you get from the cards, I got real lucky with the free packs they give you)
    And I'm rockin that set of lava armor, whatever its called, for your appearance slots.
    Its a sexy combo =P

Bloodshed on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I can't say the same for EQ.

I'd say its the nature of the beast.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »

Yes and no.

You're right, its not fair to compare EQ to the games of today because they really have come a long way in terms of gameplay, ease of play, and various other areas. I'd say this progress is probably more obvious in RPGs (and MMOs) than any other genre.

However, I can still go back and play Super Mario Bros. The controls are still responsive, the game is still challenging without being unfair, and its still easy to pick up and play. I can't say the same for EQ.

Your opinion of super mario bros being responsive by today's standards are subjective. I could go play EQ and it would be easy for me to pick up and play, because it was never hard to play to begin with. It was more punishing, but that is not relevant to this discussion.

Find me somebody's grandma who never played a video game and ask her if playing super mario bros is easy. That is basically the perspective people who had WoW as their first MMO have of EQ. I played EQ when it first came out and loved it for what it was at the time. Now, the genre has evolved into something much more fun and easy to play, which is a good thing.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Holy shit, I can't remember which guild, but I am certain you were either in:
    Jaggedpine Defenders, Legions of Ragnarok, Vision, or shit, can't remember what the other would have been. On Solusek Ro, or possibly Ayonae Ro server?

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    EWom wrote: »

Holy shit, I can't remember which guild, but I am certain you were either in:
    Jaggedpine Defenders, Legions of Ragnarok, Vision, or shit, can't remember what the other would have been. On Solusek Ro, or possibly Ayonae Ro server?

Lmao, that's a SS of my Father's paladin. He was in both Jaggedpine Defenders and Vision.

I'm actually really surprised somebody recognized his character!

Tophu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    More Champions Online.

So Lightwing ventured into a satantic bookstore to fight some demons, and holy shit the torchlight kicked the comic shading effect into classic comic mode. Fuckawesome.

th_lightwing_library_entry.jpg

The cult leader/bookstore owner is the only one left after I've vanquished all his employee-minions.

th_lightwing_library.jpg

It occurs to me that the person who gave me this quest happens to own a bookstore also. Am I fighting evil or just eliminating the competition? Well, there were hellhounds guarding the place. Better vanquish just to be safe.

th_library_attack.jpg

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Have you played it recently? It's horrible.

I also disagree that it was the "forefather" of the modern MMO. Ultima Online and Merdian 69 both hold that title in conjunction, as well as maybe the AOL Neverwinter Nights though thats debatable. EQ was based off of what those games put forward, it just had fancier graphics during that era and the market wasn't saturated like it is now. When there wasn't much to choose from you pretty much had to go with what was there.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Of course it seems horrible if you play it now and compare it to WoW. Go play Metal Gear on NES and see if you don't think it sucks compared to MGS4, etc. etc.

And EQ is the game that brought the 3d MMO into existence. Sure, UO laid some of the groundwork for EQ, just like all the text MUDs did, but EQ was the one to create that massive 3d world to explore. Meridian 69 is not even known to 90% of MMO players.

Joshmvii on
This discussion has been closed.