As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-Fight Debate Thread: Bracket 15

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do we know if this is the DC, Marvel, or real world Pentagon? Surely the comic book versions must have some sort of defense against superhumans.

If it's the real world version then, yeah, Mystique could be fucked.

I'm assuming it's either the DC or Marvel Pentagon, and yeah, Electro wouldn't get very far before he started having to deal with security. Mystique on the other hand, is perfectly suited to turn the defenses against Electro.

-edit-

And lets be perfectly clear; Mystique has no problem with winning in a completely cheesy or underhanded way, it would amuse her.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I assumed real world Pentagon since it's the only one anyone's really familiar with.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    MajidahMajidah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ivy: Do you know the true strength of nature Victor?
    Doom: Do you know the true strength of the Latvarian Air Force Pamela?

*Boom*

Electro (from inside the pentagon's power system): Where the %@$# is that Mystique?

Mystique (as a random guard): Where the !$@! is that Electro?

Doom(watching from the X-mansion TV after his match): Zzzzzz.

Majidah on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Majidah wrote:
    Electro (from inside the pentagon's power system): Where the %@$# is that Mystique?

Oh god, just imagine if it was Mystique vs. some other stealthy type. They'd be in there for years.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Majidah wrote:

Oh god, just imagine if it was Mystique vs. some other stealthy type. They'd be in there for years.

I've always thought there should be some sort of Chamelon+Mystique mini or something.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Doom crushes Poison Ivy, enslaves the X-men, then annexes North America just so the trip didn't seem like a waste of time. 5-to-1 odds that Ivy shits herself the second she sees who she got matched up against.

Oh, and Mystique FTW. This fight will basically be Electro VS Mystique AND the entire US army. Electro may be able to pull off a big job every once in a while when he has tons of time to plan, but infiltration and deception are like second nature to Mystique. I don't think Electro has any resistance to bullets in his normal form. Would take a while to get a sneaky shot in, but Mystique has the skill set to do it.

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Other than a sudden attack of morality, what would stop Electro from just wandering up and down the halls spewing electric death until he's informed that Mistique is dead? Sure she can hide, but eventually she's going to have to try and get close enough to fight to win.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Other than a sudden attack of morality, what would stop Electro from just wandering up and down the halls spewing electric death until he's informed that Mistique is dead? Sure she can hide, but eventually she's going to have to try and get close enough to fight to win.

Thats a good point actually. I guess I assumed that he would be afraid of the consequences after the tournament. Is this even his universe, though? I guess if he's in our universe for this fight and gets to return to his own afterwards, nothing would be stopping him...

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm assuming Mystique is a wicked shot. With her shapeshifting she can blend into the crowd, and even if Electro does the whole "ill walk around electrocute EVERYONE I see", she is still a good stealther to hide someone (vent shaft or something?) and pick electro off by means of sniping.

Mysterio is tricky enough to fool Abom. Hel, he might every be able to get lucky and break Abom. mentally. They are in the same universe, so Mysterio might know something about Abom. Mysterio seems to be good enough at his effects to make someone go crazy.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Nogs wrote:
    I'm assuming Mystique is a wicked shot. With her shapeshifting she can blend into the crowd, and even if Electro does the whole "ill walk around electrocute EVERYONE I see", she is still a good stealther to hide someone (vent shaft or something?) and pick electro off by means of sniping.

That's not a very convincing argument. Even if we're talking real world Pentagon here, Mystique would not be the only person in the building with a gun, so I think Electro would be keeping his defenses up.

I'm pretty conflicted over this fight though. The big question for me is does this Pentagon have sufficient defenses to deal with Electro? The answer to that question is the answer to whether or not Mystique wins.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    They'd probably be more likely to have mutant detection systems. I doubt they'd expect someone like Electro to come in since he's the only electrical superhuman with powers that strong and, beyond that, he never leaves New York

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    If I was advising mystique (and mind she never listens to me any more). I'd tell her to pop down to the basement and throw the breaker--THEN set of the sprinkler system. As long as electro hadn't found and killed her by then he'd be in the troubles.

Majidah on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Water doesn't beat Electro anymore.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Being shot in the back still does though.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    robosagogo wrote:

Being shot in the back still does though.
    Don't really see why he couldn't repel bullets when he has limited magnetokinesis (he vaporizes water before it can hit him by manipulating electromagnetic fields, apparently).

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Poision Ivy at a glance could pass for a mutant easily, which would lead to the X-men helping her against Doom. Sadly I don't think even that would give her enough of an edge to win so I to vote for DOOM! (it's just fun to say)

Mystique totally takes out Electro. She can blend in, dissapear you'll never see her again until she's behind buzz boy with her pistols and it's all over.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Everybody in the Pentagon is going to be gunning for Electro, because he is a big freak with electrical powers. He is going to have his defenses up all the god damned time. Mystique isn;t going to be able to put bullets in him. Especially since bullets don't normally work anyway.

And Electro really has no qualms about killing everybody in the Pentagon.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    ...And Electro really has no qualms about killing everybody in the Pentagon.

Which is why the security forces at the Pentagon will drop him very quickly.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

With what? I doubt they're any better equipped than the Raft was.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It should be noted that this occurs in Doom's Danger Room-esque thingy. There's absolutely no consequences for wanton murder.

Electro's best strategy really does seem to be murdering his way through the entire building. It's just a matter of whether or not they'd be able to stop him.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Spectre-x wrote:

With what? I doubt they're any better equipped than the Raft was.

with all the fucking guns and tear gas and liquid goddamn death they keep at the pentagon, probably

i bet electro's real effing good at keeping out gas with his dumbass electric powers

and his stupid hat

i mean, let's face it guys. the pentagon is one of the most heavily guarded buildings on the entire continent. it's the head of the department of defense, for god's sakes, and mystique can wander through it essentially unmolested. the freak in the hat, though, is going to be looking down the barrel of knockout gas, m-16s, and about a billion pissed-off soldiers taking orders from their suddenly extremely sexy 'commander'

plus the raft? from what i remember, electro left about two seconds after breaking in and all the OTHER supervillains dealt with the defense.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What instances do we have from the comics to reference the defenses of the Pentagon? If none, we're forced to assume fairly real life standards of defense, and therefore, lightning man is probably going to hand everyone their ass I'd think.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Electro managed to hold off an assault force of 50 S.A.F.E agents who were specially equipped to take him out.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    did they use tear gas?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We all know what tear gas is, right?

Electro will destroy the Pentagon in frustration after being hit with it.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    did they use tear gas?

Tear gas is going to be really fucking useful against a guy who will just step into the building's wiring and rain horribly electrical death down from the lamps and outlets.

And if he can vaporize water with electromagnetism, he can disperse tear gas.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    By the way guys, I'd like to point out that Electro has evidently gotten a lot fucking smarter recently. I mean hell, he apparently turned a psychic's powers against him by manipulating the bioelectric currents in the man's brain. I think he's got enough smarts and MORE than enough power to just mass murder everything in the building till poor Mystique is all that's left.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Servo wrote:
    did they use tear gas?

Tear gas is going to be really fucking useful against a guy who will just step into the building's wiring and rain horribly electrical death down from the lamps and outlets.

And if he can vaporize water with electromagnetism, he can disperse tear gas.

oh right because tear gas is exactly the same as water, chemical wise

it just evaporates right up

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i mean, since it's already a gas and everything, you fucking nimrod

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    What instances do we have from the comics to reference the defenses of the Pentagon? If none, we're forced to assume fairly real life standards of defense, and therefore, lightning man is probably going to hand everyone their ass I'd think.

That's pure retard-logic.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jeepguy wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Pretty much. Assuming that the Pentagon in the Marvel universe has no special defenses for superhumans strikes me as a really, really, poor assumption.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    cheese says Oi! If electro can manipulate electric currents, he's got magnetic powers greater than Magneto's (Who for some inexplicable reason seems to care a great deal about metal). He can also disintegrate the entire building by destabalizing chemical bonds. That's the two actual science applications of his power. If we allow superhero science I'm sure he could turn the pentagon into a pony by running around it or some other such nonsense of the kind that Superman routinely busts out.

This problem always arises because the fan base is usually more knowledgeable and creative in application of superpowers since they are legion and have many types of expertise, while comic book writers are just good at...writing...comic...books.

I don't have a solution for you for this battle, it's a close one pitting Mystique and all of the pentagons human assets against electro and all of the pentagons electronic assests, but I don't think we should go crazy trying to think up new powers for the participants.

Majidah on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Like I said, if the Pentagon has defenses geared towards superhumans then they'll spot Mystique in a heartbeat using the same tech Sentinels use to hunt.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Corvus wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Pretty much. Assuming that the Pentagon in the Marvel universe has no special defenses for superhumans strikes me as a really, really, poor assumption.

Last I checked the Pentagon=/S.A.F.E or SHIELD. Also, as has been stated, if they have Sentinel level defenses then both combatants are probably fucked now aren't they?

As for it being retard-logic, as opposed to what? Either way you cut it, we're assuming. You can assume they have just enough defenses to fuck Electro and not Mystique, because she's certainly not going to win in a straight fight, I can assume there's just enough defenses to screw over Electro but not mystique, or both of them. In the end we're all forced to do a lot of assuming is the problem. I'd suggest Doom clarify the defenses of the Pentagon if possible. Pwetty pwease?

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Last I checked the Pentagon=/S.A.F.E or SHIELD. Also, as has been stated, if they have Sentinel level defenses then both combatants are probably fucked now aren't they?

the pentagon is the center of the department of defense in a country that is regularly attacked by jerks like magneto

i'm sure it's totally defenseless

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

As for it being retard-logic, as opposed to what? Either way you cut it, we're assuming. You can assume they have just enough defenses to fuck Electro and not Mystique, because she's certainly not going to win in a straight fight, I can assume there's just enough defenses to screw over Electro but not mystique, or both of them. In the end we're all forced to do a lot of assuming is the problem. I'd suggest Doom clarify the defenses of the Pentagon if possible. Pwetty pwease?

Mystique has regularly infiltrated high level government buildings and even impersonated important government officials many, many times [in the Marvel Universe, not the real world]. Electro is totally un-subtle.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yea, while they could maybe possibly find her eventually, Electro would be drawing the attention of Pentagon defense the second he entered the arena and every second from there on. He'd be drawing attention away from Mystique too.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Servo wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

the pentagon is the center of the department of defense in a country that is regularly attacked by jerks like magneto

Totally defenseless? Haha! No. But the question is does it have the grand scale defenses required for an onslaught like Electro? He's -really- damn strong in the charging rhino kind of way. And, once again, it's completely ambiguous how well defended they are. Till Doom clarifies, we're all assuming on the most pivotal aspect of the entire fight.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Servo wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:
    Corvus wrote:
    jeepguy wrote:
    Fiaryn wrote:

Totally defenseless? Haha! No. But the question is does it have the grand scale defenses required for an onslaught like Electro? He's -really- damn strong in the charging rhino kind of way. And, once again, it's completely ambiguous how well defended they are. Till Doom clarifies, we're all assuming on the most pivotal aspect of the entire fight.

Actually I think it is a totally safe and fair assumption that the Pentagon in either the DC or Marvel Universes could handle an assault by Electro.

He's not a Magneto, Doom, or Apocalypse level villan. He's powerful, yes, but he is no tactical genius and he's alone.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    well, it's just that you said that it's not shield or safe

but for all intents and purposes, right now it probably is shield. since fury left, the us has more and more co-opted shield for itself, and i bet the pentagon has stolen the sweetest of defense chiba for itself.

that is, if we are using the marvel pentagon

edit- not you jeepguy

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg