As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Void - An adventure/role-playing/after-life/painting/horror/survival/dating game

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IF you guys want to get super popular, release your games on American retail shelves! Get the word out to all the American gaming press and all that!

I can't be the only one to tell everyone I know about your delightfully amazing games!

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    IF you guys want to get super popular, release your games on American retail shelves! Get the word out to all the American gaming press and all that!

I can't be the only one to tell everyone I know about your delightfully amazing games!

I'm pretty sure American retail shelves are one of the worst places to try and sell an adventure game...there's such a flood of shitty ones, and it seems like no one really shops for PC games at retail these days (no one who would buy this any way).

I imagine a bigger push on Steam and other digital download sites would be more fruitful.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Has anyone found a guide? I'm kind of muddling my way through, which is fine, but I'm wondering how much I'm stumbling past. Or what "rules" I haven't figured out yet. Or just things I haven't thought to try.

captaink on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So far it's been a very memorable experience.

Currently on c27:
    The brothers are starting to question the sisters. Already saved one. So far I've taken down 4 brothers (I hate Pit SO DAMN MUCH!)

Problem is I don't think I have enough colour to keep up saving them one after another if it keeps up.

I guess I'll need to restart either way, since at the current pace I don't think I'll get enough colour to do anything. Haven't even talked to one sister, and I still haven't opened another's chambers.

But it's so... entertaining.

Anyone else saw what I think is a nod to Psychonauts?

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    The LxRThe LxR Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    2Drovek:
    It's impossible to save them all, don't restart, just save the ones you really need.

The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I got this on Steam during the sale when I recognized it was the game from this thread. I jumped right in and I love it so goddamn much. I feel like games today take us by the hand way too often. I love being thrown in and left to essentially fend for myself.

I remember reading one of the interviews that said something like, "the hero's problems are also the player's problems," and I think the game totally does that.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm totally stuck on Mantid's quest.
    So I've been using that add_fl mod to make things somewhat easier, but I don't fully get the point of the Quest. I've opened up the six mines with Expose + Extract, and there's Color flowing out. Do I have to be able to suck up all the Color in the mines?

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    whoa whoa, does this game not support 16:10?

voidconfig.jpg

How does this happen anymore?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So I've been using that add_fl mod to make things somewhat easier, but I don't fully get the point of the Quest. I've opened up the six mines with Expose + Extract, and there's Color flowing out. Do I have to be able to suck up all the Color in the mines?
    Get every drop of colour from the veins; that's what he's asking for. Make sure you don't miss any (check in the overworld map if any remains in the area.)

Also you can start extracting the colour until the day after you set the extract spear.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

voidconfig.jpg

I think it's just your system.
    VoidScreenRes.gif

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Drovek wrote: »
    Get every drop of colour from the veins; that's what he's asking for. Make sure you don't miss any (check in the overworld map if any remains in the area.)

Also you can start extracting the colour until the day after you set the extract spear.

Guess I'll have to start wasting color somehow.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    AsiriyaAsiriya Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is it worth grabbing all the colour I see straight away or is there a reward for letting it grow, like it accumulates exponentially every cycle I leave it alone?
    I had both gold and emerald filled so emptied them into the Nameless Sister? Is putting it into trees a better idea early on?
    Once I have a tree growing, can I feed it extra colour for better growth? IS giving it a lot of colour beneficial or is it better to only feed it a little?

Asiriya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    mspencer wrote: »

voidconfig.jpg

I think it's just your system.
    VoidScreenRes.gif

But my monitor is 16:10 D: why would it not be showing up?

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The LxR on
    How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have no idea what that link is supposed to mean, I haven't even started the game yet, I only launched the config utility. Though my monitor is 1680x1050. My vid card is a 320mb 8800GTS, a bit old but hardly something rare/exotic or exceptionally outdated.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Asiriya wrote: »
    Is it worth grabbing all the colour I see straight away or is there a reward for letting it grow, like it accumulates exponentially every cycle I leave it alone?
    I had both gold and emerald filled so emptied them into the Nameless Sister? Is putting it into trees a better idea early on?
    Once I have a tree growing, can I feed it extra colour for better growth? IS giving it a lot of colour beneficial or is it better to only feed it a little?

Always fill trees with as much as you can afford to, it is better in the long run.
    Also, be filled with violet so that you require less colour to fill the trees.
    You can't feed them colour again until they finish their cycle with the current colour you used on them.

I once read that the best way to get colour from trees is to harvest them every second day, to allow it to grow a bit more, but I haven't checked the numbers personally.

As far as what's best early on: Part of the fun is getting the balance right :wink:

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    All I've heard is that trees produce the same total amount regardless of when you harvest. So you can get 70+30+10 in 3 consecutive cycles, or 110 if you don't come by until the third cycle.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just looked through the bonus torrent, it's pretty sweet if you're into that behind the scenes stuff, although it's all very NSFW (duh)

I did notice a powerpoint presentation that looked neat, but it's in Russian so.. yeah.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    is this a scary game? because i'm a huge pussy.

Fuga on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

More unsettling than scary. There's no cheap scares or anything.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    2GalagaGalaxian: the link has the answer on how to launch the game in your resolution.

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The LxR wrote: »
    2GalagaGalaxian: the link has the answer on how to launch the game in your resolution.

I think you might've linked the wrong thread in that case. However, I just noticed a sticky topic about it on that forum, checking it out.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Fuga wrote: »

More unsettling than scary. There's no cheap scares or anything.

The enemies tend to roam about on their own as long as you don't get too close. However, if you happen to misplace your attention there is a posibility of one sneaking up on you and scaring the Holy Christ out of you, but as long as you keep track of them and don't stare at a wall you should be fine.

Purely hypothetical situation that totally didn't happen to me.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Early on but I'll spoiler it anyway. I found it unsettling the first time
    you see mantid, just that weird noise and then this massive broken up body held together with kebab sticks, with the weird grating pounding noise behind it. Not scary but definitely a woa, wtf moment as i wasn't expecting it.

Thanks for the advice. I'm finding it really difficult to balance my consumption and growth, especially now that trees have run out and I have to wait for them to die, meanwhile I have no Nerva with which to plant new trees or mine so it's all a bit up in the air. Might have to reload, again, though I am enjoying the constant evaluating of my resources.

Asiriya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Mantid kinda freaked me out until he spoke and then I was like "aww, he's not so bad, he's just looking out." and then, well, yeah.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The most aggravating thing about the game is the time aspect, I hate being rushed. It wouldn't be too bad if you could pause and have a look around, decide where to go next, but the only way I can do that is by holding Ctrl and letting go whenever I want to check out chamber, losing me time.
    Also I hear that
    realms degrade after too much use,
    which again puts pressure on me to make the right decisions all the way through.
    I'm at the stage where I seem to have a ton of colour, in me and the environment, but I'm holding back on spending it because I'm scared that it will suddenly get taken by the brothers, but don't have enough space to collect it. Ergh, hate indecisiveness.

Asiriya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    2GalagaGalaxian: Ah, indeed, sorry about that... Have you solved the problem?

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The most aggravating thing about the game is the time aspect, I hate being rushed. It wouldn't be too bad if you could pause and have a look around, decide where to go next, but the only way I can do that is by holding Ctrl and letting go whenever I want to check out chamber, losing me time.
    Also I hear that
    realms degrade after too much use,
    which again puts pressure on me to make the right decisions all the way through.
    I'm at the stage where I seem to have a ton of colour, in me and the environment, but I'm holding back on spending it because I'm scared that it will suddenly get taken by the brothers, but don't have enough space to collect it. Ergh, hate indecisiveness.

Errr, there's this little thingy on the lower left that controls the speed of time. They tell you about it pretty early in the game.

What pressing CTRL does is just automatically move it to the slowest setting while you draw, but you can move it manually. Just be careful, it has this ugly behaviour to just stick to your mouse and sometimes you try to move the map around and you make it go guns blazing fast.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I noticed that the little time controller at the bottom left always resets to a "normal time position," but if you grab it and pull it down all the way it'll slow down time to almost stopped. Time still flows, but it's slow enough that it doesn't bother me too much.

Also, time managment is hectic, for sure, and can get frustrating, but when it all comes together it feels that much better.

The only thing really annoying me is those damn fireflies, I feel like I waste so much time catching them.

Edit: *sigh*

Fuzz on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    1,2,3 and 0 all change the speed as well.

captaink on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There are hotkeys for game speed. 1 is slowest, 2 is fucking fast, 3 is fastest ("Oh fuck now I'm dead" fast). 0, for some inexplicable reason, is the default speed.

Also, in my current game it's day 16, I've visited every chamber, and I have yet to piss off any brothers. I get the feeling that I'm playing this abnormally fast an nonviolently...

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm on day 16 and I have visited... 6 chambers? And I killed one of the brothers, and it suuuuuuuuucked..

Fuzz on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I use page up and page down to modify my speed, since the difference between 1 and 2 is a bit too big for me.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Speed control fucked me once. I was trying to convert as much color into nerva as I could to kill the Pangolin, so I manually moved the little thingy to get it to move faster. Then I tried to move the map around to check some other mine or something and didn't notice the control was "stuck" to my mouse and it went ballistic.

The cycle went away fast and then I had to fight a pissed off-brother. I decided against reloading, I had enough nerva... and he just pissed me off.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The LxR wrote: »
    2GalagaGalaxian: Ah, indeed, sorry about that... Have you solved the problem?

[edit] Wait, I may be stupid

[edit2] Ok, got it working I think.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Oh ok, I knew about the speed thing but when I touched it it only seemed to make things faster, I'll have a play around thanks.
    I've been reading the Pathologic Let's Play, it really does sound like a beautiful story, as in horrifying and really reminiscent of Uzumaki, I'd recommend anyone with two days free to go through it.

Asiriya on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Someone started an LP (Let's Play on Something Awful:
    http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3252510&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Really nice comments and all. )

The LxR on

---- Alexander Pope
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I added it to my monstrosity of an opening post. Newbies to the game should check it out.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Once classes started I definitely saw a decrease in the amount I played this game specifically. Stress + Stress = ahh

Fuzz on
  • Options
    Captain ActionCaptain Action Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just made it into the 10th cycle with large color surplus. I already killed the pangolin and weaken the two other worms. I'm wondering "what next?" as the brothers only bitch at me for opening hearts. Should I start killing them? Or will I mess up the plot?

Also, two things that I've learned that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere before:

Some glyphs (extract and expose) have their costs reduced by violet! It's not just for donor!

It is possible to paint a path through multiple chambers and your travel speed through all them are based on the amount of color you expend. Useful for hauling ass from one side of the void to the other.

Captain Action on