Options

Guitar Hero: Use the other thread

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Funny enough the singing is my favorite part of the game. My 360 is practically my families kareoke machine. :P

Yea, GH: VH is very much getting shafted, but I'm ok with it since I'm getting both games for the price of one. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Damn it!

I was really hoping to avoid picking up GH5, because while some things on the setlist intrigue me, on the whole it's fairly meh.

But getting a whole other game just for buying it, now I have to.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »
    Man they torpedo'd their own game before it ever came out. Thats pretty harsh

They're just pushing their contractual obligation out the door before beginning work on "Guitar Hero: Van Halen: Sammy Hagar Edition."

No, here's the thought. According to the article I linked, Activision is, of course, working on trying to get Led Zepplin into their game. I mean who wouldn't, right? Now, if they're just shoving the GH:VH game out the door, offering up as a sacrifice to sales for the 'real' game, why in the name of anything holy or unholy would a band as notoriously difficult to license as Led Zepplin choose to allow their property to be used by them at all?

I doubt 'We released Aerosmith and half-assed it. We released Metallica and made it incompatible. We released Van Halen because we signed contracts. You guys should totally work with us, we're awesome!' is really as effective as they might think...

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if they'll ever pull off the Led Zepplin license...but man alive, if they did, I would own that quicker than most people are claiming to buy RB: Beatles.

Man, the chance to fake play D'yer Mak'er on a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game gives me such happy thoughts. :D

Of course, you are right....Activision don't really have the greatest selling points with their past in band centric games, although I have heard that Metallica was pretty top notch.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I don't know if they'll ever pull off the Led Zepplin license...but man alive, if they did, I would own that quicker than most people are claiming to buy RB: Beatles.

Man, the chance to fake play D'yer Mak'er on a Guitar Hero or Rock Band game gives me such happy thoughts. :D

Of course, you are right....Activision don't really have the greatest selling points with their past in band centric games, although I have heard that Metallica was pretty top notch.

Well, I felt I had to stretch for something negative. The demo at least indicated that it was a decent effort and I didn't want to claim 'overcharting' as a serious complaint since, well, it's Metallica...

But it sure does seem like with every subsequent 'exclusive' release, Activision is taking less and less overall care with the final product. How to you attract the biggest license hold-out when your most recent effort is used as a loss-leader to sell something else?

People claim, jokingly or not, that HMX is emulating the GH series by releasing the LEGO and Beatles games. But I'm having a hard time seeing that in either case their not treating either as if they were important games in their own right. I'd be willing to suggest that The Beatles game, if it does well (for a HMX game without the GH name...) and is executed properly, would go a longer way toward signing LZ than anything Activision has done recently.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I tried to play Metallica in a store display one time, but the song list somehow didn't give any indication of how difficult it would be to play, and of course I picked something that raped me instantly.

Edit: And I'll agree, Lego Rock Band makes a weird sort of sense. It says "family-friendly version of Rock Band" much, MUCH better than "Band Hero."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah I mean, whoever's next on their list might be rethinking joining with them after something like that. It just seems like a desperation move on their part.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Even though I think Lego Rock Band is a stupid idea, I agree it looks like alot of care is going into it. I hope it works for them, as the kids should love it. The lego characters are pretty cute looking.

As I said, my 360 is basically my families kareoke machine, so I'm sure I'll end up getting the Beatles game. I'm not a very big Beatles fan but my wife is. Our deal is that deal with singing and playing a bunch of Beatles music if she puts up with lots of Van Halen...so we both win.

We'll see how they do. Although, I have a hard time thinking The Beatles will fail, as many many many people love their music.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Edit: And I'll agree, Lego Rock Band makes a weird sort of sense. It says "family-friendly version of Rock Band" much, MUCH better than "Band Hero."

But "Band Hero" says "top 40 pop hits version of Guitar Hero" much better than LEGO Rock Band does.

Hmm, maybe it's because they're trying to say different things?

Edit: Wait, they "half-assed" the Aerosmith game? How, exactly?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I didn't think they halfassed Aerosmith at all. I had a lot of fun going through it, and the little interviews with the band members were great between sets. I think it really boils down to whether you enjoy their music.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    David_T wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

But "Band Hero" says "top 40 pop hits version of Guitar Hero" much better than LEGO Rock Band does.

Hmm, maybe it's because they're trying to say different things?

Honestly, no, Band Hero does not say "top 40 pop hits version of Guitar Hero" at all to me. Band Hero sounds like I should be rocking the plastic tuba or busting out the 76 plastic trombones to lead the big plastic parade. Especially since GH:WT has already established GH as a "complete band game."

Ketar on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Band Hero sounds like Guitar Hero, or at least what people have been trained to think of in Guitar Hero.

"So... I already play as a band in Guitar Hero, so how is Band Hero different, exactly?"

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, I think Band hero will suffer from negative sales because of sales staff. When someone unsure walks in and asks the difference between Band hero and Guitar Hero 5, the staff will likely shit on Band Hero just because of the set list.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Honestly, I think Band hero will suffer from negative sales because of sales staff. When someone unsure walks in and asks the difference between Band hero and Guitar Hero 5, the staff will likely shit on Band Hero just because of the set list.

Anecdotal, but most people I've seen that walk into GameStop looking for a music game, they'll look at the case to see the setlist. I can't imagine too many people blindly making a decision on "Hey this GameStop staff guy said the music in this one was better than in this other one."

I'm still really pleased with the Band Hero setlist so far, and since the pop station is usually what's on at work, I've been trying to come up with pop songs I'd love to see in a music game instead of just rock music like I typically did.

This fall season is crowded and, naturally, some things will have to wait for a purchase; since Band Hero will have the same feature set as GH5, I think GH5 is going to just have to wait, or possibly never even be purchased (depends on if Harmonix gets "Sultans of Swing" into RB before I finally decide to buy GH5). This also assures that I won't have to blaze through GH5 in eight days before The Beatles: Rock Band comes out and takes over my life.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, those sale staff would be complete morons to do that. You should never, EVER talk someone out of a sale if you want to keep your job. The way Band Hero should to described is 'Pop Hero', or just the generally more band centered songs rather than songs picks just for their guitar parts with the rest of the band added in.

This Van Halen for GH:5 thing seems insane. How can they possible afford that!? Also that website linked stuff to Australia pre-ordering it, so I'm assuming the deal is over here too. I wasn't gonna get Van Halen until I grabbed their discography, but now I practically have to get the blasted game. :P Oh well! No complaints here! I still don't own any 360 games that aren't rhythm centric and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.

Does that mean no more band centric games from here on in? Or at least, much more sporadically spread out placement of band games?
    although I have heard that Metallica was pretty top notch.
    GH: Metallica is top notch. I thoroughly enjoy it and as do my mates. Especially my metal mates, they think it's about damned time Metal got a spokesperson in these games.
    I think it really boils down to whether you enjoy their music.
    This statement can pretty much be given to all band centric games really. Either you like the bands music or you don't.
    glithert wrote: »
    I approve of the new title. :^:
    Any decent human being would.
    Ouch. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unlucky wrote: »
    Honestly, those sale staff would be complete morons to do that. You should never, EVER talk someone out of a sale if you want to keep your job. The way Band Hero should to described is 'Pop Hero', or just the generally more band centered songs rather than songs picks just for their guitar parts with the rest of the band added in.

I have that exact experience around here. I've been told by staff a game I'm looking for/buying is crap (one I asked if they had Valkyria Chronicles, and they said it was a shit game) and I shouldn't bother, and one point a manager flat out refused to sell me a game because he didn't like it (to be fair it was Lair). I had to convince him I knew the game was bad before he'd ring it up for me.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I have that exact experience around here. I've been told by staff a game I'm looking for/buying is crap (one I asked if they had Valkyria Chronicles, and they said it was a shit game) and I shouldn't bother, and one point a manager flat out refused to sell me a game because he didn't like it (to be fair it was Lair). I had to convince him I knew the game was bad before he'd ring it up for me.

I would refuse to go to a store with shit like that going on.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I would refuse to go to a store with shit like that going on.

When it's happened at pretty much every local store, I don't have a whole lot of choice unless I want to drive 2 hours to another store.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, what the hell?

"I'd like to hand you my money thanks."
    "Um. No."
    "Please?"
    "NO."
    "PLEASE!?!??!"
    "NO, GET OUT OF MY STORE. How dare you insult me by offering me money in exchange for my goods! Leave the premises or I will be forced to call the police!"

o_O Loki, in short - there's something wrong with the people you buy stuff from.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well it's like if corporate HQ sent your store a box of literal shit to sell, and people walked in and the box art made them think it might be good.

You would probably want to warn people, as a salesperson, that they really are buying shit despite the packaging telling you it will be great.

It's still odd to outright refuse to ring something up, but warning someone about a bad purchase (with something other than an interpretive medium like games) isn't a bad thing.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Well, what the hell?

"I'd like to hand you my money thanks."
    "Um. No."
    "Please?"
    "NO."
    "PLEASE!?!??!"
    "NO, GET OUT OF MY STORE. How dare you insult me by offering me money in exchange for my goods! Leave the premises or I will be forced to call the police!"

o_O Loki, in short - there's something wrong with the people you buy stuff from.

Well, it doesn't stop me from buying it. The guy refusing to sell me Lair was a store I went to for ages, and the manager just said 'no, I know you have better taste in games than this, it's shit, I'm not selling it to you'. Hell, the he even admitted that his store only had a single shelf for new and used PS3 games because he doesn't like Sony.

Just because I shop there (because it's close) doesn't mean I have to like the staff.

edit - I don't shop there anymore anyway. An EB opened in the same mall. I get better deals from there, the staff don't talk (I think they are robots), and there's a Big W in the same mall that does awesome new game deals. That other store doesn't get my business unless they like, have something for 70% off or something.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So maybe you guys can answer this... I looked on the back of the GH5 preorder box.
    Did I read it right? It says that you can play 4 players, each with a guitar. I don't know very many bands that have 3 guitarists, namely just The Eagles for a few songs (When Henley decides to get out from behind the drums) and Collective Soul (3 guitarists and 1 bassist).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nocren wrote: »
    So maybe you guys can answer this... I looked on the back of the GH5 preorder box.
    Did I read it right? It says that you can play 4 players, each with a guitar. I don't know very many bands that have 3 guitarists, namely just The Eagles for a few songs (When Henley decides to get out from behind the drums) and Collective Soul (3 guitarists and 1 bassist).

They all play the same part.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, it wasn't done for realism, it was done for party play. If you have 2 guitars sitting there, and you and a buddy both want to play lead, then go for it. No arguing over who has to play bass. Or if theres a song you all want to sing (AAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL ABOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRD!) then everyone can sing it. Not that it makes sense, but it's better in a party situation.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well.... that's..... unimaginative.

Thanks Smug

Edit:
    Thanks for the clarification Loki. Now that makes a little more sense. 4 Drummers though... that could be interesting.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I still don't get how that will sound.

Typically there's that "YOU FUCKED UP ASSHOLE" sound that comes when you miss a note. So if two people are doing awesome and two people are constantly fucking up, how the hell is that going to sound?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Think local Face Off - when one doesn't hit the note but the other does, there's no sound - it just keeps playing like you both hit the note. So, with 4 instruments I assume it'll be the same principal. If one hits, no 'ca-chink' sound.

Loki: I was thinkin' more "Livin' on a prayer". Or Love Me Two Times, mind you that's just 'cos one of my bandmates (real) and I love singing duet on the song.

JC: No, honestly I don't really mind being warned away from bad games, but when they're just dicks about it...Urg.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, I'm trying to figure out what I want to play on GH5, but most of the tracklist doesn't grab me all that much other than Johnnie Cash stuff and Garbage...plus a few others.

But there is some unadulterated crap on the new set list. Oh well...it's still worth having since I can export this and SH as well as get VH for free.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    My Xbox is back up and running. Send me an invite anytime if you want a drummer for GHWT. Gamertag is in my sig. :)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It seemed kind of weird to me that Harmonix didn't get to make an Aerosmith game first, seeing as how they're a Boston company and all.

Also, I finally got GH World Tour since it was on the cheap($20 PS2).

I mostly got it for Spiderwebs and Beat It(<3). This is my first time owning a Neversoft GH; I hope it leaves a better impression than Arcade/III did.

Any other standout tracks? I don't play at stupid levels, but I can pass any GH1 Expert that isn't Bark At The Moon.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Oh no you didn't just diss Diamond Dave like that in the thread title! I don't even own any guitar hero games anymore, and I'm just coming in to inform everyone that Van Halen will always be better than Van Hagar.

And come to think of it, the reason this thread was titled this was to get me to come in and said what I just said... Well played...

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    jack eddy wrote: »
    Oh no you didn't just diss Diamond Dave like that in the thread title! I don't even own any guitar hero games anymore, and I'm just coming in to inform everyone that Van Halen will always be better than Van Hagar.

And come to think of it, the reason this thread was titled this was to get me to come in and said what I just said... Well played...

Actually, the thread title is the way it is because it's the truth. Period.

Also anybody want to play World Tour?

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Send me an invite, I'm in RB2 right now but wouldn't object to switching the disc.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Send me an invite, I'm in RB2 right now but wouldn't object to switching the disc.

My xbox froze right as we started Vicarious. Almost as if it knew...

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I'm waiting on the main menu.

I'm not sure if you heard it, but that random bassist was like "What, you guys don't like this song?" after you complained a bit.

EDIT: Guess we're taking a break, then... send an invite anytime.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    In other news, at Costco they have GHWT guitar bundles for sale for $30, so I picked one up for mainly just the guitar. I'll just trade in the game to Goozex or something.

The guitar has a few flaws. First off it's way more uncomfortable to hold than a RB2 guitar. Why is the neck so thick? Are all their employees giants that they wouldn't figure out this is extremely uncomfortable? The thick body doesn't help either, and the back button being right where I rest my hand certainly doesn't. Also my red fret has already gotten slightly stuck and won't press down correctly all the time, after only a few times used.

But, it seems to be slightly easier to hit the frets, except that after so long my wrist gets cramped so it doesn't really matter anyway. I'm pretty sure the clicky strum bar helps on long stretches of fast notes.

I'm just going to use this as a second guitar when I need one.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Sorry about that guys - my net cut out. Not to mention I need to use the rest of this day to catch up on stuff.

Also, Glithert - Soz means sorry. It's a REAL pain in the arse to type messages using the guitar controller. Mic should be in this Wednesday so I can actually chat to you guys. :P
    Vicarious - Trust me, the drum line is hard and weird as hell. It's a Tool song, so it's to be expected.

Otherwise, I think I need to turn my in game audio down 'cos I can barely hear you guys. I also felt incredibly bad every time I missed a note, especially when it was just a jump from orange to blue at a consistant pattern. Regardless, I won't be available to play WT for another few days, apologies guys.

Overall: WOO! That was awesome fun. :mrgreen: I'm quite happy to stay bass until we get another bassist, then I'll jump on vocals and hopefully not suck on the WT engine. Apologies though that I'm not quite up to your standards of awesome though. :( Still, I'm getting better. :)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I think Schide counts as a bassist.

Also!
    Australian slang is weird.

glithert on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just as a tip, if you don't want to buy the stupid keypad peripheral, a standard USB keyboard will work if you want to type messages on the 360.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    hey no apologies allowed i get to be the terrible guy who's always bringing the band down

edit: i'm still working on figuring out the audio balance too, at any rate... the speaker audio from the headset is pretty quiet

Dehumanized on