Options

Engadget "confirms" black Xbox 360 Elite, w/ 120 GB and HDMI

• Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Playstation 3s are $120 more, not $20.

Just how you could argue that an Xbox 360 is $300 cheaper than a PS3.

Both have different SKUs. The 360 extreme is not comparable with the core PS3. For starters it has 5x the HDD space.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    It's limited. the premium will not be the new "tard" pack.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »

The 20GB PS3 costs $499, which is $20 more than the X-Box Elite is rumored to go for. And, like the poster above you pointed out, it's hard drive can be swapped with just about any SATA drive. A 120GB drive would cost about as much as a year's XBL Gold subscription.

It's an interesting choice for the consumer. Get a machine with a lot of great games and awesome online play (for a price), but no next-gen movie capabilities (HD-DVD), or get a machine with free (but relatively shitty) online play and not a lot of great games, but with Blu-ray.

I don't think that this (if the rumors are true) represents the death of Sony as supplies will be limited and a good number of gamers have already bought their machines. What this does do, though, is open the door for people like me who didn't buy an X-Box 360 the first time around. If only my HDTV had another HDMI port. [cry]

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2007
    Nightslyr wrote: »

The 20GB PS3 costs $499, which is $20 more than the X-Box Elite is rumored to go for. And, like the poster above you pointed out, it's hard drive can be swapped with just about any SATA drive. A 120GB drive would cost about as much as a year's XBL Gold subscription.

It's an interesting choice for the consumer. Get a machine with a lot of great games and awesome online play (for a price), but no next-gen movie capabilities (HD-DVD), or get a machine with free (but relatively shitty) online play and not a lot of great games, but with Blu-ray.

I don't think that this (if the rumors are true) represents the death of Sony as supplies will be limited and a good number of gamers have already bought their machines. What this does do, though, is open the door for people like me who didn't buy an X-Box 360 the first time around. If only my HDTV had another HDMI port. [cry]
    There will probably be only enough Elites to last a few months at retail, sitting right beside the current premium, before they drop it and replace the current premium with the elite hardware for the 399.99 pricetag.

If they do that, dropping the core and putting the old premium at 349.99 could be a smart move as well...but I wouldn't count on it.

Microsoft isn't setting themselves up as the 479.99 console; they are releasing a limited edition of their 400 dollar console... and it's not a bad idea, considering how ridiculously well LE games sell for what they offer.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Dont underestimate how valuable the color of the machine will be.

If it is black, Im sure that might sell a few on that basis alone.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I alone in thinking that I wouldn't buy a limited edition black 360, because I wouldn't be able to buy all matching black accessories in the future? The fact that a couple of my N64 controllers don't match still mildly bugs me when I pull them out. :P

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If it's real I'm going to hopefully sell my current 360 and pick up this 'Elite' (Shoot whoever decided on that, if it's indeed real) package.

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I will get this if/when M$ makes their iptv a reality.

Anyone w/ any details?

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited March 2007
    It's being beta'd right now.

It will show up in December, supposedly, via a dashboard update. However, to use it, you will need a box from an iptv provider, like AT&T.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait i don't understand. If they're just going to put the big hard drive and hdmi into the premiums eventually, would i basically be paying $80 extra for the black color?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wait i don't understand. If they're just going to put the big hard drive and hdmi into the premiums eventually, would i basically be paying $80 extra for the black color?

and having it first.

By eventually, then mean that instead/aswell as of a price drop, it'll be a feature increase.

LewieP on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Am I alone in thinking that I wouldn't buy a limited edition black 360, because I wouldn't be able to buy all matching black accessories in the future? The fact that a couple of my N64 controllers don't match still mildly bugs me when I pull them out. :P

That served a purpose for the N64. It meant you didn't have o follow all the controller cords to determine which controllers were plugged into whic ports. Anyway, it includes a black controller, and that's sure to be worth something.

CZroe on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

and having it first.

By eventually, then mean that instead/aswell as of a price drop, it'll be a feature increase.

Does the premium comes with a headset?

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007

and having it first.

Yes.

This news doesn't really matter unless you're an HDMI whore or you suddenly want to download 235 tv episodes off of live.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    LunaticPumaLunaticPuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The PS3 is $120 more expensive. I've only seen 1 20 gig PS3 in a store and that was a few days after Xmas. Best Buy has discontinued ordering the 20 gig model. I'm sure if you really wanted one, you could find one. The point is that they are not widely available and will not be in the immediate future thus PS3s are effectively $600.

I personally see this as a way to introduce new chipset and hardware without having everyone going crazy over it and them running out of stock. This is the reason why they stuffed the channel with inventory around Xmas. They've probably been changing over their production lines for the new chipset since the beginning of this year. Now they can get their new stuff on the market while liquidating their old hardware with the "elite" mark-up. Once the original core and premiums are mostly gone they can revert back to the usual $300/$400 or whatever price points they deem fit for 2 SKUs.

This hardware revision aside from cost control is aimed solely for IPTV. Another reason they can charge the mark-up is that people who will get IPTV are people with cash to spend. The only thing that could force them to lower sooner is a PS3 price drop which won't happen until this fall if it happens at all this year. I'm a little surprised they didn't include wireless, but it's probably just MS being greedy or not wanting to piss off early adopters too much.

The $480 price is simply a supply/demand control much like ebay scalpers at a console launch. It also helps them appeal to the "hardcore" demographic who hates white electronics. By the time Halo 3 launches you will be able to get white "elite" hardware for under $400.

Being an early adopter myself (Dec. 4th 2005, thank you Target!), I'm glad they're re-working the hardware. I will buy a more stable second system in white when the need arises (living room & comp. room system for LANs etc.). I'm just glad they chose white for launch. ;)

LunaticPuma on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    mugginns wrote: »

and having it first.

Yes.

This news doesn't really matter unless you're an HDMI whore or you suddenly want to download 235 tv episodes off of live.

I dunno, it would be nice to be able to watch my DVDs and (eventually) HDDVDs in 1080p instead of the DVDs being 480p, and HDDVDs being 1080i. It would also be cool to have my 360 titles in 1080p.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    PS3: $600 for HDMI, 60gig HDD, onboard wireless functionality, HD movie capacity, and online gaming that is, actually, quite stable. I don't know where people get this shit that it's really bad.

Fuck, you know what? I'll plop down the money for this shit right now to quadruple the PS3's onboard capacity:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822144417

That puts the PS3's total at $670 for more than twice the HDD space.

360 1337: $480 for HDMI, 120gig HDD

+$100 for wireless networking
    +$50 for a year of XBL

That puts the total at $630 for a 360 that still doesn't qualify as equal to the PS3. Completely ignoring the potential HD movie capacity of the 360, you're already paying more than a straight up PS3, and only slight less if you double the total capacity of this 1337 boxen. Really, who loses here? Now, this operates on the assumption of the usefulness of HDMI. HD penetration is steadily growing, and now even Consumer Reports considers them a valid non-luxury retail item, so it's not a stretch of the imagination to consider it a compelling factor.

Edit: let me amend this, I forgot about headsets. A USB headset for the PS3, as long as it's not the official one, costs under $20. There's only one listed on NewEgg right now, but it's not a headset, so that's not ideal. However, Bluetooth headsets range from $40 to 100 and I know squat about them, so I'll go with a $50. Drop the HDD to a 120gig one and you're looking at less than $40, so you've got $690 total.

Unless there's anything else I'm forgetting, you're technically only paying $70 for full HD movie capacity, and with the current market leader too, so it's a pretty good deal when everything is considered.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Difference is pretty much all of that on the 360 is optional.

I could buy a 360 right now today for the same price as a Wii.

Whereas with the PS3 you either get the full blown package or nothing, whereas someone with a 360 who, say, doesnt own a HDTV or doesnt want to can chose not to buy the superfluous HDDVD drive which is compulsory for PS3 owners.

If I dont need wireless, i dont buy it.

XBL is also much better than the Sony online service, so you cannot compare them. There is a reason PS3 online is free.

As for HDD space. Really, when are you EVER going to need more than 120 gig anyways. 120 is a lot.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This pisses me off because I just bought a 360 in October. HDMI isn't a big deal but I could defantly use it, and the larger hard drive is nice too but not a deal breaker.

The fact that it will run cooler is defantly a plus. I don't like the black color though.

In any case I have a warrenty with best buy and am seriously thinking about Nuking my 360 once the Premiums have all the new goodies.

Gino on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I don't see where the complaining is coming. The $480 price tag is for a limited edition version of the console. A few months after it comes out, we can expect to see the system minus the black case selling for $400 as the new Premium.

Personally, I don't really care either way. I'm not interested in the HDMI port since when I buy an HDTV in a couple months (waiting until after we move to our new home), it'll probably be 720p (I don't have the cash or the space to buy a TV that would be big enough to make 1080p important). I have a Premium XBox 360 and the HD space it has on it is plenty. All of my XBox Live Arcade games + saves for my regular games come to a little less than a gig on the HD leaving the rest for the occasional game demo or trailer that catches my eye.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    "It's impossible to update a new 360 to this specific update"

Not that it's the place to discuss, but this is possible. There was an update by mircosoft (downloadable) that you could burn to a CD and use. It's since been taken down, for obvious reasons, but it's readily available if you look. You are, however, NOT able to downgrade as an efuse inside the 360 blows when you update to the newest version.

My point was that the hypervisor has been defeated and it wouldn't utterly shock me if people were soon(ish) able to "cheat" on Live. It's only a matter of time that this exploit leads to others. Hopefully MS have something in place to stop/detect this.

Anyway, with all this 360 "elite" vs PS3 rubbish... this is a LIMITED edition console. Of course it's going to sell for more than standard. You're buying the black colour + controller.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I've never been so happy that one of my systems is going out.

My 1 month old 360 premium is freezing a lot, but I've got the Best Buy warranty. I think I'll wait and make sure it is really busted. I suspect I will take it in to Best Buy right around the time that there are no more of the 20gb non-HDMI boxes on the shelves.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why no wi-fi? Microsoft is trying to make themselves everybody's media center. They're trying to cater to those people with multiple computers, an existing network, etc.. Most of us in that situation have a wireless router and no desire to run a cable into the living room.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    Why no wi-fi? Microsoft is trying to make themselves everybody's media center. They're trying to cater to those people with multiple computers, an existing network, etc.. Most of us in that situation have a wireless router and no desire to run a cable into the living room.

And they also assume you have the extra hundred bucks to buy the adapter separately. Which is a nice profit for them.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

It will show up in December, supposedly, via a dashboard update. However, to use it, you will need a box from an iptv provider, like AT&T.

Wait...I can't just connect it to the internet and use it as a dvr cablebox...

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Whereas with the PS3 you either get the full blown package or nothing, whereas someone with a 360 who, say, doesnt own a HDTV or doesnt want to can chose not to buy the superfluous HDDVD drive which is compulsory for PS3 owners.

XBL is also much better than the Sony online service, so you cannot compare them. There is a reason PS3 online is free.

As for HDD space. Really, when are you EVER going to need more than 120 gig anyways. 120 is a lot.

The difference is that it's optional for a shitton more. I prefer to pay less for my gadgets when possible, so I bought a PS3. Also, you might note that wireless penetration is increasing as well and is a compelling feature. As a consumer, it's absolute bullshit to be charged $100 for a fucking USB wireless adapter when that's more than twice what an expensive one costs. As for the space, I've managed to fill up most of my 60gig HDD on the PS3 because I transfered a large chunk of my albums over to it so I don't have to switch out discs when I want to listen to music. A larger HDD for me is, honestly, very fucking nigh. Larger than 120 gigs too. Fortunately, I'm only halted by what the current level of technology is, not price gouging and availability.

Besides, if the HDDVD drive was ~$70 and had the selection of movies that BD does, it'd be a helluva deal.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    wha??? wrote: »

Thats not how commercial IPTV works. Without a hardware solution and a dedicated line, your TV service would be just as wonky as streaming internet video... which is to say it would suck.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited March 2007

The difference is that it's optional for a shitton more. I prefer to pay less for my gadgets when possible, so I bought a PS3. Also, you might note that wireless penetration is increasing as well and is a compelling feature. As a consumer, it's absolute bullshit to be charged $100 for a fucking USB wireless adapter when that's more than twice what an expensive one costs. As for the space, I've managed to fill up most of my 60gig HDD on the PS3 because I transfered a large chunk of my albums over to it so I don't have to switch out discs when I want to listen to music. A larger HDD for me is, honestly, very fucking nigh. Larger than 120 gigs too. Fortunately, I'm only halted by what the current level of technology is, not price gouging and availability.

Besides, if the HDDVD drive was ~$70 and had the selection of movies that BD does, it'd be a helluva deal.

I dont think you understand what optional means.

If you wanted all that jazz, the HDDVD, the large HDD and wifi etc etc you would probably buy a PS3.

But if you DONT want all that, which the majority of people dont, then you dont have to buy it.

Meaning that you save money either way.

Though you are right, $100 for wifi is insanity.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thats not how commercial IPTV works. Without a hardware solution and a dedicated line, your TV service would be just as wonky as streaming internet video... which is to say it would suck.

That's fine, but the 360 won't replace my need for a "cable box"?

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    edited March 2007

well, you will end up with a much smaller box, about the size of a cable modem, that will be on your network. Your computer, 360, etc can interface with it.

Also, you will have television as a dashboard item, which is cool.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    No, you don't seem to grasp it. Wireless and HD penetration is steadily increasing, which means that a majority of people may very well want those things within the next year or so, and won't want to be charged through the nose for them.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, I don't see where the complaining is coming. The $480 price tag is for a limited edition version of the console. A few months after it comes out, we can expect to see the system minus the black case selling for $400 as the new Premium.
    Which is a really good power play by Microsoft. Right now there is a 20GB PS3 for $499, but by all reports they're few and far between. So right now you have a 360 for $479 against a theoretical, not-in-the-store PS3 for $499. And since the 360 Elite is a "limited edition" thing, by the time supplies balance out and more retailers are carrying them, the 360 Elite can be pulled from the shelves and instead rolled into the 360 Premium, effectively a $80 price drop in consumers' minds.

And as we all well know from DS and GBA whores, there are plenty of people who will spend wads of extra cash for a cool new console color!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007

well, you will end up with a much smaller box, about the size of a cable modem, that will be on your network. Your computer, 360, etc can interface with it.

This is cool. I'm so wondering what the service options are going to be. Is there going to be places where it won't exist? i.e. rural america?

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I already use my 360 as a TV watching device via Media Center

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited March 2007

This is cool. I'm so wondering what the service options are going to be. Is there going to be places where it won't exist? i.e. rural america?
    IPTV will start/is already starting its life in test markets... but it will be able to roll out wherever the IPTV providers have DSL service... which is a pretty wide chunk of the US.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    True... but the way IPTV will make it happen is much more seamless. DVR right on the hard drive, better guide usage... no dedicated media center PC to make it happen.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited March 2007

you will need fiber... about 50mbs

right now those connections are available in some newer areas, but they are expensive

PUC, FCC, and Cable Commission make things really hard to just roll out when they are ready in the US because you have to offer similar services in all areas that you provide service to

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

IPTV will start/is already starting its life in test markets... but it will be able to roll out wherever the IPTV providers have DSL service... which is a pretty wide chunk of the US.
    Indeed! So at the end of the day, i will have a small iptv box, w/ a dedicated line, it will connect to my network, and thus connect to my 360, which i will use as a dvr?
    ps. thanks for all the explanation.

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    True... but the way IPTV will make it happen is much more seamless. DVR right on the hard drive, better guide usage... no dedicated media center PC to make it happen.
    Sure... and the big draw to IPTV is that most every program is 'on demand'. Honestly we don't know enough about the services that will be offered to understand how much the hard drive will be used... if at all.

The whole idea behind IPTV is that you are streaming content... so there's really no reason to use a DVR anymore.

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, you don't seem to grasp it. Wireless and HD penetration is steadily increasing, which means that a majority of people may very well want those things within the next year or so, and won't want to be charged through the nose for them.

I doubt that the vast majority of people will want those things within a year. Wireless, I'll give you, but in most instances, it's not that big of a problem to just run a wire from your router to your console. HD-DVD or Blu-Ray on the other hand, I don't see being that dominant anytime soon. Unless you have a really nice TV and a very visually intense movie, getting a regular DVD works just fine. Heck, even if someone just handed me a gigantic HDTV & a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player free of charge, I think I'd stick with regular DVDs for the time being since they tend to be noticeably cheaper.

HDMI? It's nice, but I couldn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080i on the XBox 360 so I doubt that 1080p would impress me on the system (most games are designed for 720p on the system if I'm not mistaken). I'm happy sticking with 720p for now.

RainbowDespair on