Options

STAR WARS GALAXIES

• Options
    Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    My name on starsider is Jasconius

Yeah Goat you're right about ships but who the hell ever uses those YT-1300's? Well, I guess more people do now because they fixed the goddamn turrets to be useable, but still, space XP is pretty bad.

At least they seem to have removed spaceship decay, that shit was pissing me off. Pay millions for a KSE only to have it fucked up in deep space? No thanks.

With that being said, I have a YT-1300 and would gladly host a space party.

That thing was a diamond in the rough :P Equipted with 100% crafted top end elite POB ship parts from radiants finest. When nobody wanted to fly to the ISD for heroic runs in my old guild. I outfitted that sucker to reach it without a dent on the armor. And for all my services in playing taxi for the old guild, they let me have some of the nicer first drops on schematics.

Was also fun to use in radiants old space pvp fights from a year or so back. And Id occasionaly dual box my alt account to grind xp out of the turret station over in kash space for pilot xp.
    ship11.jpg

That old Vak is my prime killer, has lots of time dedicated to its outfitting.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I used to play on an RP server, Bria, and rather than have a house set up on Tatooine, I had one of the multi-person freelancer ships, and I decorated it and would just hang out there with the rest of my guild, flying around, chillin', occasionally gettin' into dogfights with some Imperial guild who always hassled us. Salad days, man.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hooked up my YT-1300. Everything is pretty solid except perhaps the shields... about 2.5k strength. I never invested on all the heavy components I should have.

*edit*

oh shits there's tons of new POB stuff. wow that would make deep space fun. A million a pop though, I'm not ready to burn the rest of my wealth on that... yet.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the Deathtroopers content expansion is officially up.

If you did the pre-release questline, you'll know part of what's going on.
    The Empire was screwing around with the virus they found on the prison barge in the book. Supposedly, the Rebels thought it was a bio-weapon, broke in, mucked the place up, and accidentally released it. This might not be true, since it's the story the Imperial authorities give you when you arrive. A later NPC alludes to the possibility of the Empire having a hand in the virus's creation, albeit due to a dick of a research assistant exploiting someone elses work.

The new content is pretty good. There's all new sounds, armors, and enemies. All of the zombified characters have completely new animations as well. Instead of punching, like unarmed characters do, they crouch down, lunge at players, and generally do zombie-ish things when idling, moving, and attacking. They also moan. Alot.

The undead travel in middling to fairly large groups, and can snare you so you can't run away from them. Zombie speed varies. Some shamble, others run, and some do this weird, lope on all fours things to reach you. They're kind of weak alone, but if they're equal level, they're a big danger to fight in swarms since they can easily out-number you and wear down your action points so that you're forced to auto-attacking, if you lack AOE's. I'd say that Dark Jedi and Commando's have it best in fighting them, since they get alot of AOE's.

The actual zone is on-foot only, meaning that you have to walk from location to location, navigating the (seriously screwed up, there's bodies and severed limbs everywhere.) wasteland. View range is heavily restricted, you only being able to see what's directly in front of you thanks to a mist covering everything. This plays into exploration as well.

Information about where each friendly camp is intentionally spotty, so be prepared to stumble around in the zombie-hiding mist for awhile if you aren't asking NPC's where they think the next camp full of survivors are. I'm only at beta camp so far, but it gave me a general waypoint to where the NPC's thought it'd be, only for it to turn out to be wrong, with them further ahead.

The actual zone is "cut off" from the rest of the game-world. You need to enter through the quarantine gate-way. Once you do, you'll find yourself in the quarantine zone, with about a dozen undead (Provided they aren't being camped.) wandering around near the entrance. If you attack them, they all aggro you.

Once you're inside, your first objective is to talk to a doctor from the novel at the first camp of survivors to get a temporary innoculation to the virus. It lasts for thirty minutes. I'm not exactly sure, what, if anything happens, if you fight the zombies and lose after it wears off.

Thankfully, the zone is accessible to any level. The zombies start at level 5, and slowly scale to higher levels the closer you to get to the epicenter of the outbreak. At the actual location of where things started, they can go up to level CL95, and you'll get a chance to see some other things that have been infected by the Blackwing virus like
    An undead, mutated rancor. Which is apparently boss/raid level material, and requires at least a full group, and possibly more then that, to take out.

Also, at the actual epicenter, some of the zombies are "smarter" canon-wise, and can use weapons, albeit extremely inaccurately.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a ticket open because my jabba comlink didn't spawn in my inventory, so I can't even do the pre-quests.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have a ticket open because my jabba comlink didn't spawn in my inventory, so I can't even do the pre-quests.

You didn't really miss much. It was just a bunch of fed-ex quests to explain the premise behind the newest content expansion, along with where it'd take place. Though, the story is interesting given that
    Jabba thinks that it's a super-soldier serum, and you end up getting some awesome text options. Like back-handing Lady Valarian, and tricking Jabba into believing that Valarian shot up the off-world labs prior to him getting a chance to get his hands on the zombie drug.

All you get out of it is this nifty house decoration item. It's a data-pad with an image of a screwed up looking helix on it, which I guess is supposed to symbolize the zombie's DNA.

About the only thing that it doesn't answer is
    Who exactly was murdering the biologists involved with the Blackwing project. It's implied that it was the Imperials. But the whole "outbreak on Dathomir" thing sort of excludes them.

Should be good future story content if they decide to pursue that angle.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I did miss much because supposedly you can't do the actual dungeon until you do the prequest :/

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well I did miss much because supposedly you can't do the actual dungeon until you do the prequest :/

That can't be true.

The quest takes you to the dungeon pre-infection on the normal, world map. Meaning that unless they redesigned it post-release, that'd exclude every player who didn't do it after that point from doing the content expansion.

Plus, the actual dungeon is open-doors, just like every other area like it. The comlink was just a preview item, I think.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Archonex wrote: »

That can't be true.

The quest takes you to the dungeon pre-infection on the normal, world map. Meaning that unless they redesigned it post-release, that'd exclude every player who didn't do it after that point from doing the content expansion.

Plus, the actual dungeon is open-doors, just like every other area like it. The comlink was just a preview item, I think.

I believe it was right in the patch notes. I'll re-read it later.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This update really makes me tempted to resub my prime account...

But my bank account would hate me.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I am shocked, frankly, that they haven't done a free-to-play weekend. I think it is primed. Based on what I have seen and am seeing, this game is improved in every aspect from 2 years ago.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So apparently you can get infected by the zombie virus if you don't get regular innoculations/figure out how to develop an immunity. I've got a light infection that's reducing my stats at the moment.

I am shocked, frankly, that they haven't done a free-to-play weekend. I think it is primed. Based on what I have seen and am seeing, this game is improved in every aspect from 2 years ago.

They already have a free trial I think. The buddy recruitment offer made mention of something like it briefly.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A trial, but not a free weekend for regular old accounts, like CoH does regularly. In fact, practically with every patch.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    A trial, but not a free weekend for regular old accounts, like CoH does regularly. In fact, practically with every patch.

Ah, yeah, they've got nothing like that. Though, with the venom that gets spewed out at SWG by some folks, I wonder if they'd even give it a second chance.

Hell, the game doesn't even have the same lead developers/developer team on it that put the NGE in. Smedley and Torres were the reason why the game kept getting dicked over.

Smedley was a greedy asshole who was riding SWG and the associated fandom out for everything it was worth, and Torres had a hard-on for first person shooters like nothing i've ever seen.

Torres even stated in an interview that the reason the NGE dropped the original combat system was because he thought noone could enjoy a game that wasn't a FPS, which is what lead to the terrible pseudo-FPS combat system that the newer developers dropped at the first opportunity. The man was a colossal idiot.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That is a very notable distinction to make for people reading this thread. The combat is NOT the same as it was when NGE came out. Through a few simpe options changes you can make it effectively identical to how it was in the CU in terms of control.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is there any place to easily find what classes changed into what courtesy of the nge?

I've been having a fun time messing around on a trial account and thinking of resubbing my ancient main for a month, but I'd be pretty disappointed if the old fencer/CH got turned into a dancer :P

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    When you sign him on, you'll be shown a screen with the 9 classes to choose from currently in the game.

Now technicaly, any previous combat class expirience you had from the golden days should boost you up to an equivilent level of rate in the new system. So assuming it works, id guess youd be 50-75 with pre-masters.

If it puts you at 1-5 for level strength, send a ticket into a GM to be boosted with an explination of being a higher grade of class in the past, and they usualy adjust you to what you should be.
    oh shits there's tons of new POB stuff. wow that would make deep space fun. A million a pop though, I'm not ready to burn the rest of my wealth on that... yet.

Do space mining, cuts the cost on nearly all of it. As all the 'elite' POB parts use space asteroids.

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Here's a good thread with most of the changes since 2006.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=696943

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    And a picture post of all the new craftable droid skins (Mixed with the old.)

Click me!

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Got a mining tutorial? I always thought mining was a 2 man operation.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also, I spent 3 goddamn days on an Azure Cabal quest thinking I had to take down this elite at the bottom of this dungeon with an absolutely insane respawn time (we're talking like 60 seconds, multiple mobs per room).

I finally kill him by the skin of my teeth and apparently that wasn't the quest target. Turns out the target was not even IN the base. They were on the perimeter.

lhuahglahgalgha

In other news, if you need a great levelling spot for 85-90, you can easily get over 100k per hour in this dungeon with minimal risk.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Space Mining Tutorial!

If you have any further questions feel free to ask, my personal favorite is using just a heavy varient of a starter ship since they are super quick, or a fighter with 2 gun ports if you plan to kill pirates and not just flee from them.

Also get an crafted cargo hold (5000 space worth at least) to make life simple, it pays for itsself.

(And yeah the 85-90 grind is a long one without a decent spot. I think I did my last ten overall finishing creature kill collections.)

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, 10 terminals a day gives almost a full level. Actually 80-90 would be easy as fuck in the current game because Mustafar alone is dripping with XP... so is Kashyyyk. Unfortunately I did almost all of those quests before the NGE.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the Y8, I remember now. I had a bug on that quest and I could never get it :( But I do have a laser/hold/tractor beam. I just seem to remember needing a special ship to do it.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Is there a website that tells you what each level of an ability costs in action points?

I want to see if I need more stamina, but I can't get an accurate reading ingame, since I regenerate it too fast.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    If SWG wiki doesn't have it, then it don't exist

http://swg.wikia.com/

I hit 89 tonight and I'll get 90 tomorrow, yay!

I hope to have a new OP prepared sometime late tomorrow night.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, 10 terminals a day gives almost a full level. Actually 80-90 would be easy as fuck in the current game because Mustafar alone is dripping with XP... so is Kashyyyk. Unfortunately I did almost all of those quests before the NGE.

*edit*

Oh yeah, the Y8, I remember now. I had a bug on that quest and I could never get it :( But I do have a laser/hold/tractor beam. I just seem to remember needing a special ship to do it.

nope any will work, greatest feature ever. My favorite to use was my old krayt 'gunship'. had a mining lazer/beam combo, with a 5500 hold... and a big ass cannon ontop for defence that was an RE'ed Cert 10 gun.

No space was to dangerous for me to mine from :P

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I tried the Trial account on this, because... well its Star Wars.

Didn't last more then an hour.

Game just didn't appeal to me. Compared to KoToR, the game was just meh.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Good to hear people are giving it a shot still, may be 6 years under and all, but Im sure some people may find it enjoyable to play. Sorry to hear it didnt suit your tastes though :P

Fatgoat87 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    So i'm enjoying my dark jedi character so far. If I get into melee range, i'll kill just about anything in two to three hits.

I've also gotten to the level/enough expertise points where I can plunge into a group of six or so foes and just flip from target to target, obliterating them as I go.

Things should get even easier once I dump some more points into the dark-side expertise tree to get Force Maelstrom. Right now i'm focusing on the "path" tree to up my survivability in combat.

I'd say that the Jedi class has one of the more complex expertise trees too.

There's alot of things you need to know to be effective in a long-term fight, like stat buff expertise options, and the glancing blow and saber block proc chance additions, which basically make you block every other attack that comes your way.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I've been wanting to try the melee aspect of smuggler but I have a hard time believing it could be as powerful as the wtfzerg that is Lucky Streak and Hammer Fanning (100% crit rate for 10 seconds + 5% double attack chance)

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Everything i've heard about Smugglers lately infers that they're massively gimped compared to some of the other classes in the endgame. I'm definitely not sure a melee Smuggler could compare to the insanity that is a dark jedi with lots of defensive passives stacked. By the endgame i'll have about a 50 percent chance to block or glancing blow any hits that come at me.

Besides, nothing could compare to the wheeling and dealing of the spice era Smugglers. Why Lucasarts threw a shitfit over spice being ingame is beyond me.

I actually still have about fifty units of usable, high end spice left on my luxury yacht, too. I've been saving it for a special occasion like a raid boss, or a rainy day, since it's not craftable anymore (As far as I know.), and is worth an insane amount of money.

Also, does anyone know if you can transfer a third character to a server during the transfers? I'm all out of space on the active servers for the character I want to transfer, so the only option I have is hope I can find a dead server for him, or let him get deleted. The character is an elder character too, so losing the buffs and title would be a pain.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You can't have 3 I don't think.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Only way to have 3 characters on the same server (presently) is to have unlocked the Jedi slot pre nge.

The biggest market for spice (at least a few months ago when I left for the last time) was to crafters making power bits for the extra luck.

Sad to hear smugglers are going through rough times again. They were finally compettitive and almost required in pvp (the best part of the game imo) for their insane fan damage and aoe roots.

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think they still are competitive, from my reading. They are just very hard to solo with as well as some other classes.

If they do as much burst in PVP as PVE, then I should be able to wax people in 1 on 1.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How are Commando's and Bounty Hunters at the moment in the endgame, comparatively?

I'm looking to play one through to 90, and do all the max level content, but I was wondering which was better for general, faction-based PVP, and for soloing content by yourself.

I'm mainly looking to output alot of damage, and not die at a drop of the hat, since survivability is a big thing when it comes to soloing the harder content in this game.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fatgoat will probably know better but my armchair analysis is that Commandos are good at general widespread carnage and Bounty Hunters just take motherfuckers down directly.

Bounty Hunters have more late game PVP opportunities since the bounty system is greatly improved since the CU era.

Arch do you have a 90 on Starsider? I need a bestest friend to help me finish off the YT-2400 quest D:

*edit*

I think goat said earlier that both Commandos and BH's were both well tuned in the end game and "working as intended". So it might be a tossup on whichever is more fun for you.

I played a commando 1-22 and grenades are fun, but I did not get to heavy weapons yet, which is really their calling card.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Unfortunately, all my middling to higher level characters are on Bria.

I've got a level 35-something character on Starsider i'm working on power-leveling up, and my ancient alt, which I never played, that I just transferred over from another server. I'm currently arguing with the SOE support staff about why I never got a NGE respec device from them on that character, too.

I got screwed by the change-over to the NGE on my bounty-hunter too, and the game didn't give me a level 90 BH when I had the "class" capped in EXP, which is what originally lead me to quit because fuck that grind.

Just grinding up to Master Marksman pre CU without AFK grinding was incredibly irritating. Bounty Hunter Mastery was an entirely different level of pain.

But yeah. I'm interested in the Commando class, but i'm not sure if it's worth it in the long-run. Bounty Hunter seems to be more single-target damage then Commando, which seems to be about laying down lots of AOE attacks, which could be of dubious quality in a game where enemies usually come in small groups.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You weren't supposed to start at 90. I'm pretty sure everyone included Jedi started at 80. I was a capped Squad Leader when the NGE hit and I was left at 80.

Also, you can re-class in the current game without a toolkit. Jut go to the career advisor right in front of Mos Eisley spaceport, the first re-class is free.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My Bounty Hunter got de-leveled into the 40/50's, though.

And I was actually headed there now.

I figure the best way to try the commando class out would be to see it first-hand. It's not like there isn't alot of cross-over between the two classes, so if I don't like it, I can always respec back into a bounty hunter without too many problems.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    ouch that's tough. Dunno what would cause that.

Is your character on Starsider a pilot?

Jasconius on
This discussion has been closed.