Options

Tony Hawk: Ride - Giant Skateboard Peripheral of Doom

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-tony-hawk-title-is-xbox-360-exclusive-in-uk_7

Uk won't get the PS3 or Wii versions. At all.

Not that I care about this game especially, but what the HELL is this nonsense?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Enjoy Disaster!

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    But seriously, it's probably because of how pricey it is, right? Isn't that the reason Australia still hasn't gotten Rock Band instruments?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Either that or it's a response to Sony's move over Ghostbusters.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Man, they're really scraping for exclusives if they go after Ghostbusters and TH: Ride.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Man, they're really scraping for exclusives if they go after Ghostbusters and TH: Ride.

I thought Atari pulled out of Europe and wasn't going to release the game at all there, so Sony basically just scooped it up to release it.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/new-tony-hawk-title-is-xbox-360-exclusive-in-uk_7

Message to Microsoft: You're fucking welcome to it. Us PS3 owners will stick to the far superior Skate 2, that doesn't involve a gimmicky controller that will only end up injuring half the people who play it. Oh, and you'd better get ready for the lawsuits to go your way, because you'd be surprised how dumb some parents are, thinking that the console manufacturer is responsible for the games when it's third party. Although, I guess technically in this instance, you ARE to blame. :)

As for the Wii, they'll no doubt end up getting some skateboarding game featuring Mario at some point. (I really wish this was a joke.)

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Message to Microsoft: You're fucking welcome to it. Us PS3 owners will stick to the far superior Skate 2, that doesn't involve a gimmicky controller that will only end up injuring half the people who play it. Oh, and you'd better get ready for the lawsuits to go your way, because you'd be surprised how dumb some parents are, thinking that the console manufacturer is responsible for the games when it's third party. Although, I guess technically in this instance, you ARE to blame. :)

As for the Wii, they'll no doubt end up getting some skateboarding game featuring Mario at some point. (I really wish this was a joke.)

I'll just wait for the Mario game then. It'll likely be better than the Tony Hawk game.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Incidentally, the DS version of Proving Ground is actually pretty good.
    Much more like the old PS1 games.

Whoa what

Suddenly I'm interested in a DS Tony Hawk game.

I mean, there's still some stupid story tacked-on, but it has a timed mode with different objectives in various areas exactly like THPS2.

No free-roaming cities, off-board sections, random stunts or anything like that.

I'm putting in a vote for Tony Hawk's American Sk8land, which is the DS game that came out when American Wasteland hit the consoles.

It's very similar to THPS2. I loves it.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-1-american-sk8land/8206

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I'll just wait for the Mario game then. It'll likely be better than the Tony Hawk game.

Thinking about it, this whole 'exclusivity' thing seems like Microsoft whoring out their customer base as unpaid beta testers. Take into account that the Fallout 3 DLC was 'exclusive' to 360 and PC... and is now being released on PS3. 6 months down the line, anyone with a PS3 or Wii who wants this new Tony Hawk game will most likely be able to on their own console, with the added benefit of bug fixes et al. Not to mention the fact that by then, the developers may have found out the controller is absolute pants, and added an option to use a normal controller, resulting in copies of the game without the skateboard; this means the 360 owners who buy it day one could stand to lose out the most, all thanks to Microsoft's 'exclusivity' deal.

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You really have to learn how not to take the low-hanging bait. :rotate:

This seems like a really goofy thing to moneyhat as an exclusive; my bet is on what UnbreakableVow mentioned, that the price of production for the Giant Skateboard Peripheral of Doom is prohibitive and can't crank out enough to ship to all territories for all systems at the same time, so they parlayed that into a kind of 360 exclusive. Like how the Rock Band 1 instruments were ridiculously hard to find and shoddily made at first because EA/MTV/HMX were cranking them out as fast as possible.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I for one cannot wait for Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX 3.
    I maintain that Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 2 was by far the best game in the BMX genre. I still have it and it is backwards compatible but the emulation isn't spot on by any means, and it suffers from quite a few glitches. I wish to god Acclaim hadn't fucked up the sequel with that BMX XXX bullshit.

Where is my Dave Mirra's Freestyle BMX 3, assholes?!

Halfmex on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dave Mirra 2 was bloody brilliant. Played it for hours.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Speaking of non-Tony Hawk Tony Hawk-ish games ... the only one I really got into was Aggressive Inline, but that game (and its jawsome soundtrack) got the shit played out of it at my house.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    MSRP $119.99 for the bundle. This is my completely baseless guess.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

You really have to learn how not to take the low-hanging bait. :rotate:

This seems like a really goofy thing to moneyhat as an exclusive; my bet is on what UnbreakableVow mentioned, that the price of production for the Giant Skateboard Peripheral of Doom is prohibitive and can't crank out enough to ship to all territories for all systems at the same time, so they parlayed that into a kind of 360 exclusive. Like how the Rock Band 1 instruments were ridiculously hard to find and shoddily made at first because EA/MTV/HMX were cranking them out as fast as possible.

Think Activision are having a bit of a backlash over the last Tony Hawk game from retailers being forced to order hundreds of copies that ended up in the bargain bins. Im guessing this is one was of softening the blow if this game does bomb in PAL regions without costing the earth for both Activision and the retail outlets

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I am pretty sure the 360 exclusivity has been debunked.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the 360 exclusivity has been debunked.

I still think it'll happen as a timed exclusive at least over the Christmas period. I know it was reported, but its the sort of thing that would happen.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wtf Activision, I already have a skateboard. Mine even has wheels!

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Roshin wrote: »

Personally, I will look to try this game once. My big ass feet prevent me from doing anything on real skateboards.

Can't even effing manual without my back foot acting as an accidental brake :x

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Personally, I will look to try this game once. My big ass feet prevent me from doing anything on real skateboards.

What size are your feet?

I've got a mate with size 12's who skateboards (I'm a size 8 and skate on a 7.5), and he has no trouble at all.

My reaction to this, as a skater, is WHAT THE FUCK?

For a start, there's the complete ridicolousness of it : a plastic skateboard, without wheels, that I'm guessing you don't actually jump at all on, and is therefore nothing like real skateboarding, and there's also the cost.

To make it worth thier while, they'll have to price the game at anywhere between £80-£150.

That's enough to easily get you a somewhat decent full setup at the lower end, and a pretty damn good board at the higher end.

The board I have now, all together, has cost me about £180, and I can see it lasting me at least a year, whereas the peripheral in this would be lucky to last a month.

Biosys on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Biosys wrote: »

What size are your feet?

I've got a mate with size 12's who skateboards (I'm a size 8 and skate on a 7.5), and he has no trouble at all.

For a start, there's the complete ridicolousness of it : a plastic skateboard, without wheels, that I'm guessing you don't actually jump at all on, and is therefore nothing like real skateboarding, and there's also the cost.

To make it worth thier while, they'll have to price the game at anywhere between £80-£150.

That's enough to easily get you a somewhat decent full setup at the lower end, and a pretty damn good board at the higher end.

The board I have now, all together, has cost me about £180, and I can see it lasting me at least a year, whereas the peripheral in this would be lucky to last a month.

All I can pretty much do with skateboards is just ride them around in straight lines. Trying any sort of trick = youtube material. Turning too hard also = youtube material.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    What makes me most worried about this is how god-awful the Balance Board controls were in the Wii version of Skate It. Thing was damn near unplayable to me.

Also, there's not enough love here for Tony Hawk's American Wasteland. No, it was not a good game. But it was a prime example of "so bad it's good". You had fetch quests and boss battles. You had flimsy premises such as "hey, I'm a lazy construction worker and I'm trying to blow up this staircase. I bet if you jump off the top and do this precise combination of tricks (and NOT any other combination), the force with which you hit the bottom should be enough to dislodge the entire stair unit!"

Game was hilarious.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    That sounds pretty much like THPS3. Well, the request thing, not boss battles.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sooooo, this thing's out, and by most accounts it's clumsy and awkward as all hell.

Anyone here give a shit?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Biosys wrote: »

What size are your feet?

All the better to buy another one with, I suppose.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P11vr2UQDgE

That looks catastrophically abysmal. So you stamp the nose of the board on the ground and it just kinda decides what flip-trick you're doing? About the only control you seem to have is when you're grinding on something.

Brilliant, Neversoft. Just brilliant.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I don't even think I see transition animations.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darley, give credit where it's due.

Neversoft didn't develop this one, it was Robomodo or some shit.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    MSRP $119.99 for the bundle. This is my completely baseless guess.

Somebody deserves a cookie.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can't wait to see the sales numbers for this.

I'm guessing under 10,000. And that feels generous.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can't wait to see the sales numbers for this.

I'm guessing under 10,000. And that feels generous.

The reviews are starting to come in. I wonder how many good reviews will come out of this. Metacritic had the only review this morning at somewhere around 90.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2009
    Actually, can you play the game without the peripheral? How does it run then?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That (ie the video clip) looks even worse than I expected. I mean, it's great that they're trying new things and all, but I don't want to wobble around on a fake skateboard when I'm trying to play a game. I want to sit down with a controller in my hands!

Can this be played without the board? It would be seriously crazy otherwise.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Depending on who you ask this series peaked in either 2000 or 2001.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect much.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They should have done the honorable thing and just attempted to completely rip off Skate's controls.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's amazing it took so long for EA (or anyone else) to just swoop in with a superior product and just instantly own the market.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Depending on who you ask this series peaked in either 2000 or 2001.

So yeah, I wouldn't expect much.

2002!

2 was groundbreaking and 3 was shiny and new. 4 was perfection. Then it went to shit.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    For me, I thought 1 was great, 2 was poop, 3 was a return to 1's form, 4 was awesome, and THUG was well done but lacked the level design of the previous games, and after that it was "what the fuck are you guys doing"

FyreWulff on