Options

Game of the Year 2009 [Let's Vote]

• Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    Also surprising: not one Wii game that I cared for this year! Next year will bring SMG2 and a new Metroid, but in a year with Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, Star Craft 2, Mass Effect 2, and the Old Republic, I'm not even sure I'll get around to those next year. Shame.

Yeah, I think the only Wii game I touched this year has been New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and while it was fun, I didn't think it belonged on my personal GOTY list.

I expect next year that Mass Effect 2 will be close ot the top of the list. I just hope people don't forget about it by this time next year since it's gonna come out in January. Resident Evil 5 was near the top of my list and even I almost forgot it came out this year, it's been so long since March.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Here's mine
    1. Halo 3: ODST (360)
    2. Halo Wars (360)
    3. The Beatles: Rock Band (360,PS3,Wii)
    4. Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    6. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    8. ARMA 2 (PC)
    9. Left 4 Dead 2 (360,PC)
    10. Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    11. Tom Clancy's HAWX (360,iPhone,PC,PS3,Wii)
    12. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    13. Lego: Rock Band (360,DS,PS3,Wii)
    14. I MAED A GAM3 W1TH Z0MB1ES!!!1 (360*)
    15. 1 vs. 100 (360*)
    16. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (PC)

It's sort of a "here's 15 games I bought and really liked" list with the addition of a shameful RTS.

shame.

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My list:

1. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    2. Demon's Souls (PS3)
    3. Infamous (PS3)
    4. Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    5. WET (360,PS3)

6. Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (PS3)
    7. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    9. Prototype (360,PC,PS3)
    10. Flower (PS3*)
    11. Killzone 2 (PS3)
    12. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    13. Way of the Samurai 3 (360,PS3)
    14. Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)

I too am a little surprised how few games I played this year. But Mini Ninjas (great art direction and animation!) wasn't on the noms list and Wanted: Weapons of Fate deserves no nod, unless there is a "does everything badly-to-middling, aside from an awesome cover system" category.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Omeks wrote: »
    Also surprising: not one Wii game that I cared for this year! Next year will bring SMG2 and a new Metroid, but in a year with Heavy Rain, The Last Guardian, Star Craft 2, Mass Effect 2, and the Old Republic, I'm not even sure I'll get around to those next year. Shame.

Yeah, I think the only Wii game I touched this year has been New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and while it was fun, I didn't think it belonged on my personal GOTY list.

I expect next year that Mass Effect 2 will be close ot the top of the list. I just hope people don't forget about it by this time next year since it's gonna come out in January. Resident Evil 5 was near the top of my list and even I almost forgot it came out this year, it's been so long since March.

Both Punch-Out and NSMBWii were on my list.

Also Deadly Creatures, Muramasa, and MadWorld which I thought were fantastic

Still though, not too many memorable Wii games this year, which is a shame. A lot of fun, yet ultimately forgettable ones like Little King's Story and Lost Winds, but even among my favorites nothing I would rank in the top 5 for GOTY.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I really need to find a copy of Muramasa before it's gone. And then, y'know, start thinking about a Wii to play it on.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

It's sort of a "here's 15 games I bought and really liked" list with the addition of a shameful RTS.

shame.

Yeah, I mean, Halo Wars, ugh, really?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Michael HMichael H Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Easy:

1 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    2 - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
    3 - Torchlight

Michael H on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Omeks wrote: »

Both Punch-Out and NSMBWii were on my list.

Also Deadly Creatures, Muramasa, and MadWorld which I thought were fantastic

Still though, not too many memorable Wii games this year, which is a shame. A lot of fun, yet ultimately forgettable ones like Little King's Story and Lost Winds, but even among my favorites nothing I would rank in the top 5 for GOTY.

Outside of Riddick, Dragon Age(PC), and maybe RE5, the HD systems were somewhat disappointing this year. I haven't played AC2 yet as I plan on getting it for PC, but for me there were more memorable Wii games, although nothing spectacular. 2010 looks to be a monster year though.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just for funsies, what was the worst game everyone played this year?

I went through the list and just clicked every game I played, then listed them all in notepad and sorted by preference there.

X-Blades is my Worst Game of the Year 2009.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Can't remember my top 20 as I voted earlier. Played 26 games from this year with bionic commando as the worst for me and AC2 as the game I enjoyed the most.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

shame.

Despite what people would have you believe, this was not a bad game. At all.

T4CT on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think I put Machinarium as my #1 game because it is absolutely beautiful, much like Muramasa and Boy and his Blob which placed high. NSMB and Punch Out were up there, as was Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, Retro Game Challenge, and the Tales of Monkey Island series.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    T4CT wrote: »

shame.

Despite what people would have you believe, this was not a bad game. At all.

plus it was somewhat balanced and didnt have shitty gameplay!

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Forgot a couple of really decent games I played this year, but Borderlands omission on my list is on purpose. Fuck you gearbox.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

plus it was somewhat balanced and didnt have shitty gameplay!

opinions differ. :P

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just got finished voting although i have(supposedly)missed some of the better titles of this year.

1.Red Faction: Guerrilla (360,PC,PS3)
    2.BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (360,PS3)
    3.Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (DS)
    4.Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
    5.Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    6.Brütal Legend (360,PS3)
    7.Halo 3: ODST (360)
    8.Little King's Story (Wii)
    9.Bionic Commando (360,PC,PS3)
    10.Rhythm Heaven (DS)

Some of the games i would have voted for didn't make the master list so my own list has a bit of "filler" as a result.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1. Batman: Arkham Asylum (360,PC,PS3)
    2. Borderlands (360,PC,PS3)
    3. Shadow Complex (360*)
    4. Dragon Age: Origins (360,PC,PS3)
    5. Prototype (360,PC,PS3)
    6. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (360,PC,PS3)
    8. Assassin's Creed II (360,PS3)
    9. Splosion Man (360*)
    10. Suikoden Tierkreis (DS)
    11. Infamous (PS3)
    12. A Boy and His Blob (Wii)
    13. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes (DS)
    14. The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (DS)
    15. Retro Game Challenge (DS)
    16. The Beatles: Rock Band (360,PS3,Wii)
    17. Scribblenauts (DS)
    18. Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii)
    19. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    20. Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS)

Feels weird to see Mario and Zelda so far down on the list for me, but the train in Zelda isn't doing it for me (though the dungeons are awesome), and Mario is fun but samey, beat as a platformer by Splosion Man.

And yea, I expect Batman to kick ass on this one, even though the magazine/online GOTYs are all going for MW2, I'm sure. :(

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Forgot a couple of really decent games I played this year, but Borderlands omission on my list is on purpose. Fuck you gearbox.

Out of curiosity, what did Gearbox do? Is it the DLC?

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    And yea, I expect Batman to kick ass on this one, even though the magazine/online GOTYs are all going for MW2, I'm sure. :(

The only website that matters (Giant Bomb) selected Arkham Asylum over MW2 as their Multiplatform Game of the Year.

They still haven't done their overall, just broken down by systems, but I expect Uncharted 2 to take it with Batman as a runner-up

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Several websites had the surprising taste to pick Demon's Souls, to boot.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Someone summed it up best earlier in the thread: This was a great year for everyone, but a fantastic year for PS3 owners

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Holy crap I only bought 5 games this year:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
    Resident Evil 5 (360,PC,PS3)
    New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii)
    Space Invaders Infinity Gene (iPhone)
    Flower (PS3*)

Interesting.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's gotta be a way to differentiate Tiger Woods on every other platform and Tiger Woods on the Wii.

Wii version is my number one, but the others are like entirely different products.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    There's gotta be a way to differentiate Tiger Woods on every other platform and Tiger Woods on the Wii.

Wii version is my number one, but the others are like entirely different products.

That's dumb.

You'd have to make a bunch of different listings for everything.

Hell, any multiplatform game that hits PS3, 360 and Wii would then need two listings, HD versions and Wii versions.

It's easier this way

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Hockey JohnstonHockey Johnston Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I understand, I just mean that Tiger Woods for the other platforms probably doesn't belong on anyone's top ten.

Not criticizing. But most other multiplatform games aren't as radically different from each other as this one example.

Hockey Johnston on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Tiger Woods on the PS3 came pretty close to cracking my Top 20. I could see a more avid golf fan than I saying it might belong in their top ten.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kinda surprised Fight Night was nominated but UFC Undisputed wasn't.

Anyway, my top five ended up being:

Uncharted 2
    Assassins Creed 2
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    InFamous
    Borderlands

Which for me quite handily sums up what an awesome year it's been. And how weird it is to go back and see people in 2008 talking about 2009 being frontloaded and nothing good coming out after Q1 apart from MW2.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

The only website that matters (Giant Bomb) selected Arkham Asylum over MW2 as their Multiplatform Game of the Year.

They still haven't done their overall, just broken down by systems, but I expect Uncharted 2 to take it with Batman as a runner-up
    I kind of expect the same. But those guys really liked Shadow Complex.

Still, props to anyone that picks Batman over Modern Warfare. And mad props to anyone that picks something out of left field like Bionic Commando. Which was wonderful.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    That's because Shadow Complex was awesome!

Also, X-Blades was my Worst Game of the Year, but Bionic Commando was right above it. :D

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was just thinking. For a PS3 game to win this that must mean there was an extremely high percentage of PS3 owners voting for it. There are a lot more 360 users than PS3 users on the board just by general averages compared to sales. So if a PS3 game wins, it must have gotten either nearly all the PS3 voters or people who don't have a PS3 would have voted for it. Im guessing the first one.

That also makes it so that game has even better reception based on the people who have played it and if a PS3 game wins, it would have won by lots more if it was on the 360.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Which Bionic Commando are we taking here? The Arcade remake was great. The new one? Not so much.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    mccmcc glitch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010
    Actually sometimes I do split the entries for multiplatform games, if the versions really are different enough to qualify as different games. I think one year Tiger Woods actually got this treatment with the Wii version specifically. I only do this if it's specifically requested during the nomination phase though, I don't myself usually have a way of knowing how significant the differences are...

In general the nomination list tends to wind up with poor coverage of sports games. I'm not sure how really how best to fix that.

mcc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Which Bionic Commando are we taking here? The Arcade remake was great. The new one? Not so much.

The new one.

Rearmed was 2008

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh. Well Rearmed was good :P .

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My surprisingly short list:

1. Dragon Age: Origins
    2. Torchlight
    3. Osmos

Apparently I was not up to date in 2009.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    You are still making me sad, Vow.

Why? Because Shadow Complex was awesome?

Because it was awesome.

Did I mention how awesomely awesome Shadow Complex was? I seem to recall it being fucking kick ass and worth twice the asking price of fifteen awesome dollars.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Shadow Complex was why I bought my 360

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Shadow Complex was why I bought my 360

It was my number 1 as well.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    You are still making me sad, Vow.

Why? Because Shadow Complex was awesome?

Because it was awesome.

Did I mention how awesomely awesome Shadow Complex was? I seem to recall it being fucking kick ass and worth twice the asking price of fifteen awesome dollars.
    No, Shadow Complex was awesome.

I'm sad because no one appreciates Bionic Commando. You don't understand him like I do!

Monger on