As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: contains unmarked spoilers

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    If I'm honest, the world of Invisible War was kinda cool. You had nation-states dissolving with nonstate actors picking up the slack, economics trumping sovereignty (as far as the WTO was concerned), genuine contrasts between walled-off enclaves and derelict slums, and all sorts of nefarious people interested in the nanotech holdovers from Deus Ex
    repurposed under Tarsus/ApostleCorp.
    There's intrigue there, and if they'd spent any time actually developing the key players or coming up with something close to a satisfying resolution, it could've been grand.

Hell, I could've forgiven a lot of the gameplay if the story took any advantage of the setting, but none of the characters or factions were sympathetic and it flat-out didn't make sense. In particular, about finding Dr. Nassif in Cairo, (sizeable spoiler if you haven't gotten to Trier yet)
    if we're buying that the Illuminati secretly controls both the WTO and the Order, why on Earth would they have contradictory objectives towards the same person?

Conversely, I could've forgiven the story if the game conveyed the setting properly, but the massive inclinator connecting upper and lower Seattle was through some tiny doorway in a dinky little alleyway off an amazingly small broadway connected to a tiny little overlook that's under the Space Needle and dammit why did everything have to be so small raaaaaaaaaaargghbbblleerrgherl

I confess that I kind of enjoyed Seattle, but I think it's obvious they ran out of ideas fast.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yeah Invisible War was shockingly confined.

I mean in Deus Ex the first level is a big island with no loading screens until Unatco, compared to loading screens every ten mintues in IW.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited January 2010
    One of the many issues I had with Invisible War was that they went from a game that was futuristic but with recognizable and visceral connections to the real modern-day world - bars, cars, subways, shitty motels, fancy hotels, TV, dumpsters, free clinics, sewers, wet floor signs - to standard sci-fi dystopia #31, where a sterile, walled-off futureville is either surrounded by or situated above a Mad Max trash wasteland. You can see this disconnection both in the sort of stories and tasks they give you - from the verisimilitude of a terrorist attack on a subway station in the first game to the faintly arch and satirical prospect of assassinating members of a rival coffee chain in the second - and in small details, like the way the books in DX were a mixture of in-universe fiction and actual real stuff from the real world while IW had nothing at all from the real world.

That's not to say that a more science-fictional setting is a bad thing. I just feel that Invisible War didn't personalize its setting enough, and it stood in stark contrast to the way the first game really went out of its way to make its environment feel like a natural outgrowth of things we were actually seeing and experiencing in 1999 and 2000.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Bleh, thought it was fine but the game is running too fast again when indoors or low detail areas, conversations and infolink calls are getting cut short.

Tried the multicore fix, the CPU power management thing, 4 different renderers as well as setting it to windows 98 compatibility, nothing doing. Not a gamebreaker but annoying nonetheless.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Bleh, thought it was fine but the game is running too fast again when indoors or low detail areas, conversations and infolink calls are getting cut short.

Tried the multicore fix, the CPU power management thing, 4 different renderers as well as setting it to windows 98 compatibility, nothing doing. Not a gamebreaker but annoying nonetheless.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808112

This should work

Dsmart on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I am not mistaken. You definitely cannot keep Sandra around if you have any part in killing JoJo.

I am positive you are doing it wrong somehow, because the way I've had it go down is that Renton pulls his gun, utterly fucks it up, so I start laying into Jojo till he's on minimal health, then I let Renton finish him off.

If you don't give him a weapon and cap Jojo, Sandra leaves.

The worst outcome of course was all the times Sandra gets killed in the crossfire. I saw it happen, then found I could talk to him afterwards and D:

I'm pretty sure you must be just shooting Jojo in the head immediately - you have to let Renton get a shot in I think.

Or maybe Renton has to deal the killing shot?

I'm certain that works if you give him a weapon and let him fire at least once. I've had to step in because apparently he doesn't have any ammo in reserve, and if he runs out he just runs around helplessly; to the best of my recollection, Sandra shouldn't run off if you armed him, whether he killed JoJo or not.

From my testing I found that it's okay to pepper spray Jojo, at least.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »

This should work

I love you.

Seriously.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Ah, this thread got me starting a new realistic run through the game.

I really have to extend my profound thanks to the folks who pointed out the insta-knockout spot at the base of the spine, I'd always aimed for the head with the baton and thus never had any luck with using it.

Hell, my new skill with the baton has revolutionised my stealthy/non-lethal playstyle, as I always used to have to scrape around to try and find enough tranq darts to make it through the first half of the game, whereas now I have more than enough in reserve for any tricky situations that might arise.

Just out of curiosity, do you get an insta-kill if you hit an enemy in that spot with a lethal melee weapon?

Xyyz on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Stolls wrote: »
    In particular, about finding Dr. Nassif in Cairo, (sizeable spoiler if you haven't gotten to Trier yet)
    if we're buying that the Illuminati secretly controls both the WTO and the Order, why on Earth would they have contradictory objectives towards the same person?

I know that is where the game broke down for me, I was able to sorta grind my way through the first part then when I started exploring Cairo what you mention just got ridiculous in combination with the map layout of how these guys came across as being next door to each other. The sense of scale and the environment being fleshed out as a place the NPCs actually lived in and gave a shit about was all gone (not surprisingly, something I find to be a fault with many, many game settings being as fake cardboard props as the town in Blazing Saddles).

Oddly enough, I am curious if knowing which future was chosen for Deus Ex 2 and its poor implementation, does that affect anyone's decision to pick it as a future at the end of Deus Ex. I think I remember originally choosing to send the world into the dark ages a la Escape From LA Snake Pliscen move where I imagine JC would be wandering the wastelands doing whatever he wants as a sort of super human in a version of Fallout's future.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xyyz wrote: »
    Ah, this thread got me starting a new realistic run through the game.

I really have to extend my profound thanks to the folks who pointed out the insta-knockout spot at the base of the spine, I'd always aimed for the head with the baton and thus never had any luck with using it.

Hell, my new skill with the baton has revolutionised my stealthy/non-lethal playstyle, as I always used to have to scrape around to try and find enough tranq darts to make it through the first half of the game, whereas now I have more than enough in reserve for any tricky situations that might arise.

Just out of curiosity, do you get an insta-kill if you hit an enemy in that spot with a lethal melee weapon?

I think there's some sort of damage modifier, yeah. They might have to be surprised for it to work.

EDIT: And DX2 uses a weird amalgam of all the original's endings.

august on
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010

This should work

That fixes the speed thing, but my GUI is huge again.

Urian on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Urian wrote: »

This should work

That fixes the speed thing, but my GUI is huge again.

Rename it to DeusEx.exe, backup your normal .exe if you want then run dxfix again, should be fine.

The dxfix thing applies the settings to DeusEx.exe, so I had to rename it to get both to work, but fine now.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Is there any way to save Jock?

Fuga on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Fuga wrote: »

See that suspicious mechanic in France? The one that's all sweaty and nervous. Bop him on the head.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm continually amazed that people miss the Jock thing.

august on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

See that suspicious mechanic in France? The one that's all sweaty and nervous. Shoot him in the face to be sure

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Waka Laka wrote: »

See that suspicious mechanic in France? The one that's all sweaty and nervous. Shoot him in the face to be sure

PaulDenton.jpg

Stick with the prod.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll take the crossbow, sometimes you need to make a silent take down.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    This probably means nothing, but the forums for the HDTP project are still up and it's apparently still being worked on.

It has been 4 years since the first release though.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I am not mistaken. You definitely cannot keep Sandra around if you have any part in killing JoJo.

I am positive you are doing it wrong somehow, because the way I've had it go down is that Renton pulls his gun, utterly fucks it up, so I start laying into Jojo till he's on minimal health, then I let Renton finish him off.

If you don't give him a weapon and cap Jojo, Sandra leaves.

The worst outcome of course was all the times Sandra gets killed in the crossfire. I saw it happen, then found I could talk to him afterwards and D:

I'm pretty sure you must be just shooting Jojo in the head immediately - you have to let Renton get a shot in I think.

Or maybe Renton has to deal the killing shot?

That's possible.

I just ran straight upstairs and killed JoJo before even speaking to the Rentons on my current playthrough, because i've never had Sandra leave and I want to see what she does in the gas station.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    rival coffee chain in the second

This was one of the best parts in the second game for me. I mean, that's not necessarily saying much, but I was amused at the resolution at the end and it made at least as much sense as anything else in the game world.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

See that suspicious mechanic in France? The one that's all sweaty and nervous. Bop him on the head.

Yeah, otherwise they won't find
    A bomb

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wee I get to post this again.

deusexeffect.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    That's it, replaying DX now.

Space Pickle on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I resisted for a while but couldn't hold out for long.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SaturnComplexSaturnComplex Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    If my motherboard wasn't fried I'd be all over a realistic play-through. Strange to think I've owned this game for 10 years...Hands down greatest game ever created!

SaturnComplex on
    The Only Verdict Is Vegence!
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Damn it, I saw the dead mechanic's body and that the alive one was acting suspicious but I didn't think you could save him.

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Heh, shifter just gave me a public hygiene awareness bonus of 2 skill points for flushing a public toilet.

Also woo relevant new sig/av.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yesterday I dealt with the Levedev situation by planting a LAM on the door leading to his bedroom.

Ahahaha fuck you Anna Navarre.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thread title should be Contains Unmarked Old Men.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RucioRucio Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

Yeah, otherwise they won't find
    A bomb

Can't you just go talk to Everett about him? I forget.

Rucio on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I believe that is the precise method of alerting Jock to the bomb situation, you can hit the impostor with whatever you want to, but IIRC until you confirm with Everett that the guy actually is an impostor, you can't ask Jock to check the chopper.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Xyyz wrote: »

Tangentally related; during my training with a collapsable baton, the head, neck and spine were designated as potentially lethal spots to strike. I know, I know, it's just a game, but I find it funny that areas we were told "Do Not Hit!" are fair game as "less lethal" options for a nano-tech augmented super-person.

I suppose you aren't necessarily killing them, but you're probably crippling people by the dozen.

At least putting a bullet between their eyes ends their suffering. Doing what you do is likely prolonging it unnecessarily.

Asshole.
    :P

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Just to be sure dump the body in the east river

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Thread title should be Contains Unmarked Old Men.

No Cyberpunk for Old Men

Or alternatively,

There Will Be Nanites

edit- Oh super ToTP.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

What a shame.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

What a shame.

What a rotten way to die.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I believe that is the precise method of alerting Jock to the bomb situation, you can hit the impostor with whatever you want to, but IIRC until you confirm with Everett that the guy actually is an impostor, you can't ask Jock to check the chopper.
    Pretty sure Jock checks the chopper regardless if you confirm it with Everett or not as I can't recall ever doing that. I should replay Deus Ex, it's been at least three years.

Zell on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I only ever murdered the mechanic and talked to Jock

The game pretty much takes the homicide as evidence of your suspicion

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I only ever murdered the mechanic and talked to Jock

The game pretty much takes the homicide as evidence of your suspicion

Yeah, they took almost everything into account but I guess they didn't really think about the homicidal psychopath who just murders people. That or it was supposed to be a joke about how nobody wants to admit JC is just slaughtering innocents so instead they act like he had a reason and this time it turns out he did.

TychoCelchuuu on
This discussion has been closed.