As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 2: New Thread Go!

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Sakeido wrote: »
    I think the in-combat gameplay was pretty greatly improved over ME1, I'm ambivalent about gutting the items, and, while I do like my crew mates more this time, I think the overall story was a bit of a disappointment.

All of the game spoilers:
    The game starts off and you're off to fight the Reapers and their minions. The reveals had no punch. Collectors were repurposed Protheans, which I just didn't care about at all. I actually did like the Geth reveal, but it just wasn't enough.

Then there's the fucking terminator. With the explanation we have so far, this part is just stupid. I am open to the idea that it will be a lot less stupid as we find out more about the process (maybe even awesome), but fucking christ, they ended the game with it being stupid. We are the Reapers, we are out to destroy all organic life and have done so many times over the past hundreds of millions of years. Also, we like to dress up like our greatest enemies, and we really only destroy most organic life and repurpose what's left to make baby Reapers.

In the first game, you were out to prove yourself and humanity to the galaxy at large. You started off chasing a rogue agent and it snowballed into saving the galaxy in a spectacular and pretty public fashion. You earn your place in the SPECTREs and a lot of rad shit happens.

You start off as space Jesus in ME2. Nothing really happens. The whole game feels like a day in the life of Shepard. Fucking bitches and gettin' paid. From about half-way through the game, I kept expecting something big to happen. Instead, I got a lot of what is, at best, setup for ME3.

Also, none of my crew really ever challenged me in this game. Maybe I was playing it wrong, but they were all sucking my space dick the whole fucking time. There were no verge of mutiny moments.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the fuck out of playing the game. I didn't like that they replaced the pleasurable tedium of inventory management with the stupid tedium of scanning planets, but it didn't impact the game hugely for me. I just expected the Bioware Special and walked away disappointed.

Overall I thought the main plot was pretty weak and not very compelling, in direct contrast to the first one.

Luckily, all the recruitment missions and personal quests are completely awesome. I do understand that they brought the Collectors in so that the 2nd part of the trilogy had a defined beginning, middle and end.. but it just didn't work and it still suffers badly from Middle Part-itis.

end game
    I didn't like the Reaper Terminator either. It looked cool, but felt rather contrived. Then the actual ending.. ehh. For me, the game wasn't so much about the Collectors as it was your team, but your team gets no closure whatsoever. I imagine it'll all happen off-screen in between ME2 and ME3, but I really think that this whole game was about your team and there should have been "endings" for each individual character... either an eulogy you can give, or a discussion about how things went and what they plan to do next. Or you can convince them to stick around.
    We did get to figure out WHY the Reapers take people, I just don't think they should be building machines in the likenesses of their enemies. Also, it's kind of a...benign purpose. Why repeat the cycle? To build more reapers so you can complete the cycle. Uh, okay.

Everybody's gotta eat something I guess.

Well
    I imagine there is some grander purpose behind the Reapers than "oh we just collect you and use your essence to create more of us"

Like, who created the Reapers? Why did they do that? And why the hell is the game called Mass Effect? They made a big deal out of the fact that the Reapers built the Mass Relays and the Citadel and stuff to funnel all sentient life down the same technological freeway. Why are they doing that has not been answered yet

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Meh, I see Shepards ugly mug enough on The Normandy.

When I'm out, when I'm getting shit done, I need my badass looking, intimidation helmet.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There is a part of me that wishes there was a generic version of the Dr. Pepper goggles that did nothing.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    softCactussoftCactus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    or the alley in ME1, where what is normally a non-combat area turns into a hot zone. Instead, one type of area is quarantined from the other. Hell, you can't even draw your gun in non-combat areas.

I noticed this myself. I miss it. I figured the Krogan mission at Omega would lead to something similar, but it was all done in a cutscene. Big disappointment.

That's a big no no for me.

This is what really bugged me after finishing the game. The zones all felt so very separate and all the combat felt forced. Every time I thought I was going to get a fight in or near a chatting zone my character would kill them in a cutscene.

softCactus on
  • Options
    17th_Knight17th_Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just about died laughing when I listened to a preview (in the game) for a tv series with the first Hanar (jellyfish species) Spectre.

Hanar: "I do not have time for your solid waste excretions."
    Narrator: "He's the baddest jellyfish in the galaxy."
    Hanar: "Einkindle this!"

17th_Knight on
    Are you afraid? What is it you fear? The end of your trivial existence? When the history of my glory is written, your species shall only be a footnote to my magnificence. I am SHODAN.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    vsove wrote: »
    There is a part of me that wishes there was a generic version of the Dr. Pepper goggles that did nothing.

This is why you aren't the lead writer, vsove

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    End Game Spoilers
    So what did you guys do with the collector base. If we were giving the base over to anyone but the Illusive Nan I would do it in a heartbeat, since all of their tech is very much needed to get any equal footing with the on coming reapers. But FUCK we can't really trust this guy. All the bad stuff from the books/first game/other shit like jack they just kinda go "woops that was dumb but we don't do that anymore."
    I keep it, mainly because I wanted to see what would happen if I did and because I'm going to replay this run through later for the ME3 import down the line. I like how literally everyone on the ship but Miranda didn't support giving the Illusive Man the base. Even Legion who just got on the ship and didn't know the guy said fuck that shit.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »

This is why you aren't the lead writer, vsove

Probably why I'm not a writer at all.

Though I maintain that getting a pair of goggles that 'Do nothing' would be awesome.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

"Now this is real acid we're dealing with so goggles people"

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    How does this Dr. Pepper thing work. I'm considering walking to the gas station next door to get one. Am I guaranteed a helmet?

I feel so slutty for even considering this...

every cap = a code. every code = a helmut, or two visors.

So.. three marginally tasty beverages for all three.

I have to decide how much dignity I want to give up. Are they worth it?

Diet Dr. Pepper is what the vending machine at work spits out so I have all 3. Plus 2 fancy outfits for BF Heroes and next up will be Sims 3 crap for the gf.

This is actually a pretty rad promotion.

Ok, one last DP question.

Do I enter the codes on my 360 or do I have to do some EA website jargon?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At the risk of incurring your wrath, I am not really able to search thru 70+ pages of this thread. How exactly was I supposed to download Zaeed?

When I was able to connect Tuesday night, only the Normandy Crash Site and the Blood Dragon armor were listed on the Cerberus network. Did I miss something?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think the in-combat gameplay was pretty greatly improved over ME1, I'm ambivalent about gutting the items, and, while I do like my crew mates more this time, I think the overall story was a bit of a disappointment.

The game starts off and you're off to fight the Reapers and their minions. The reveals had no punch. Collectors were repurposed Protheans, which I just didn't care about at all. I actually did like the Geth reveal, but it just wasn't enough.

Then there's the fucking terminator. With the explanation we have so far, this part is just stupid. I am open to the idea that it will be a lot less stupid as we find out more about the process (maybe even awesome), but fucking christ, they ended the game with it being stupid. We are the Reapers, we are out to destroy all organic life and have done so many times over the past hundreds of millions of years. Also, we like to dress up like our greatest enemies, and we really only destroy most organic life and repurpose what's left to make baby Reapers.

In the first game, you were out to prove yourself and humanity to the galaxy at large. You started off chasing a rogue agent and it snowballed into saving the galaxy in a spectacular and pretty public fashion. You earn your place in the SPECTREs and a lot of rad shit happens.

You start off as space Jesus in ME2. Nothing really happens. The whole game feels like a day in the life of Shepard. Fucking bitches and gettin' paid. From about half-way through the game, I kept expecting something big to happen. Instead, I got a lot of what is, at best, setup for ME3.

Also, none of my crew really ever challenged me in this game. Maybe I was playing it wrong, but they were all sucking my space dick the whole fucking time. There were no verge of mutiny moments.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the fuck out of playing the game. I didn't like that they replaced the pleasurable tedium of inventory management with the stupid tedium of scanning planets, but it didn't impact the game hugely for me. I just expected the Bioware Special and walked away disappointed.

Overall I thought the main plot was pretty weak and not very compelling, in direct contrast to the first one.

Luckily, all the recruitment missions and personal quests are completely awesome. I do understand that they brought the Collectors in so that the 2nd part of the trilogy had a defined beginning, middle and end.. but it just didn't work and it still suffers badly from Middle Part-itis.

end game
    I didn't like the Reaper Terminator either. It looked cool, but felt rather contrived. Then the actual ending.. ehh. For me, the game wasn't so much about the Collectors as it was your team, but your team gets no closure whatsoever. I imagine it'll all happen off-screen in between ME2 and ME3, but I really think that this whole game was about your team and there should have been "endings" for each individual character... either an eulogy you can give, or a discussion about how things went and what they plan to do next. Or you can convince them to stick around.
    We did get to figure out WHY the Reapers take people, I just don't think they should be building machines in the likenesses of their enemies. Also, it's kind of a...benign purpose. Why repeat the cycle? To build more reapers so you can complete the cycle. Uh, okay.

Well
    I imagine there is some grander purpose behind the Reapers than "oh we just collect you and use your essence to create more of us"

Like, who created the Reapers? Why did they do that? And why the hell is the game called Mass Effect? They made a big deal out of the fact that the Reapers built the Mass Relays and the Citadel and stuff to funnel all sentient life down the same technological freeway. Why are they doing that has not been answered yet
    Did you not see my Mega Maid post? That's what they're building in the collector base. A Mega Maid. To take all our air. Reapers were made by Spaceballs who wanted to automate the air collection process. Life is needed to convert CO2 on Spaceball worlds into O2. Simple.

Also, how many Dr Peppers are needed for all gear? I might just run down to the store and get a six pack.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    At the risk of incurring your wrath, I am not really able to search thru 70+ pages of this thread. How exactly was I supposed to download Zaeed?

When I was able to connect Tuesday night, only the Normandy Crash Site and the Blood Dragon armor were listed on the Cerberus network. Did I miss something?

Check it now. Zaeed (or whatever) should be available to you now.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Try again, Zaeed went up Wednesday. If you were able to get NorCrash and Blood Dragon, you should be able to pick up Zaeed now.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Endgame
    The Illusive Man didn't seem fully aware of the extent of the whole Subject Zero thing, so I don't really blame him for most of that, but he did totally send me into a trap and is basically hiding a lot of shit from me, not to mention his ruthless human-supremacist views which, while useful at this point in time, will almost certainly lead to a lot of trouble in the future. Plus the technology we were being asked to recover was two steps away from being human sacrifice to forge a small god. I'm not in favor of that

He also strikes me as a man who likes to think he has everything planned out, so going against his expectations made me feel good in a way I can't fully quantify

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    metfanscmetfansc Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    quarthinos wrote: »
    If you only get xp for completing missions, they can put in places where there are infinite enemy respawns and not worry about you power leveling in those spots.

Did... Did I really just read someone referring to infinite enemy spawns in a positive manner?

Yes... Yes you did. I was a little frustrated because I've been reading the offical boards too and there's so many people who seem to want to get on just to say that ME2 is worse than ME1 because its different. Even worse those who say it's not an RPG because the enemies don't drop ph4t l3wt and give xp.

Sorry, but I did just get on here to say taht this game is MUCH WORSE than ME1 and that I am very disappointed. And I am sorry that bothers you, but it is 100% how I feel.

metfansc on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

end game

Well

Did you not see my Mega Maid post? That's what they're building in the collector base. A Mega Maid. To take all our air. Reapers were made by Spaceballs who wanted to automate the air collection process. Life is needed to convert CO2 on Spaceball worlds into O2. Simple.

Also, how many Dr Peppers are needed for all gear? I might just run down to the store and get a six pack.
    It wasn't funny then and it isn't funny now

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Reaper thought process spoilers
    They said in the first game so that it would be easiler to wipe them out. For example, if they had made star wars style hyperdrives to get around, they could branch out much further then what the relay's limited options give them. Plus they wouldn't be able to isolate ever system by turning off the relays. Or if they made practical laser weapons instead of railguns, which would pass right through the reapers shields.

Fondor_Yards on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

The X360 version didn't drop until late Wednesday (or maybe Thursday?). I'd assume M$ was making sure it wouldn't cause RRODs... Or maybe they were adding code that allowed them to cause RRODs on command?

Nah!

Go to www.drpepper.com/promotions

Chaoshat: Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three!

NI!

quarthinos on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

They said in the first game so that it would be easiler to wipe them out. For example, if they had made star wars style hyperdrives to get around, they could branch out much further then what the relay's limited options give them. Plus they wouldn't be able to isolate ever system by turning off the relays. Or if they made practical laser weapons instead of railguns, which would pass right through the reapers shields.
    I think the reapers harvest the dominate/most promising species of the Galaxy and build another reaper from them in order to increase their own diversity and maybe some kind of bizzare machine idea of preservation?

And didnt the Reapers repurpose the Protheans into the Collectors because they were unable to build a reaper out of the Protheans? I could have sworn I read/heard that somewhere in game

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I cannot stress enough how similar this is to Ian Douglas' Star Marines series of novels. Storyline possible spoilers"
    You have the alien force which resides as machine intelligences, multiple ones uploaded into a giant "ship" body. They apparently reside either outside the galaxy or in the galactic core, and hibernate for thousands of years at a time until they need to sweep in and destroy all organic life (in the Star Marines boooks, the Hunters of the Dawn, or the Xul, do it as part of a supreme Darwinist survival of the fittest thing. They extinguish all other life forms when they become technic enough to create a possible rival for resources.) The first trilogy had the human marine forces recovering a single Xul trapped under the oceans of Europa. The second trilogy dealt with fighting more. Then the third trilogy ended up with them detonating stars to wipe out Xul collective intelligences residing in certain key star systems. Oh, and the Xul had "nodes" where info travelled. Each node was like a major metropolitan area. Now, all this is from the books Ian Douglas wrote, But there do seem to be some similarities popping in. Like:

Warning: Definite spoiler regarding nature of reapers:
    now the Reapers are collections of individual intelligent programs residing together and coming to a consensus within one reaper body. This info is revealed when Legion is talking about the Old Machines.

Another thing I forgot is how the Xul in the books would "pattern" organic beings. Basically copying their mental processes and uploading them into their collective. The process caused the humans to go insane, and they weren't really the people, just copies of them. With the Collectors carrying people off to experiment on them, and the Reapers indoctrinating people to turn them to their side, it's similar.

And also, the stargates, or mass relays. Created long time ago by who knows whom, used widely by all races to move around (at least until doing so attracts the attention of the Xul and ... if I'm not mistaken, done so by the bad guys for the same reasons.
    To guide the creation of the organic species. Actaully, that is one thing that's different. I forgot in the last book, Douglas gave a timeline that showed another species prior to the Xul creating the stargates.

I wonder if someone either read those books, or if Ian Douglas is a writer for them.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    End Game Spoilers
    So what did you guys do with the collector base. If we were giving the base over to anyone but the Illusive Nan I would do it in a heartbeat, since all of their tech is very much needed to get any equal footing with the on coming reapers. But FUCK we can't really trust this guy. All the bad stuff from the books/first game/other shit like jack they just kinda go "woops that was dumb but we don't do that anymore."
    I keep it, mainly because I wanted to see what would happen if I did and because I'm going to replay this run through later for the ME3 import down the line. I like how literally everyone on the ship but Miranda didn't support giving the Illusive Man the base. Even Legion who just got on the ship and didn't know the guy said fuck that shit.
    I saved the base. I think I'm going to stick with it and keep this as my cannon playthrough, because heroes can't all be perfect.. but I can't help but think I have made the wrong decision. I gradually came to trust Cerberus and the Illusive Man over the course of the game and they never really seemed dangerously anti-alien in ME2 to me. I'd like to think they turned over a new leaf.. but I doubt myself.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I don't remember this but it sounds legit so I'll take your word for it

But even then, why. Why destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why create technology and leave it laying around so it makes it easier to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why destroy most but indoctrinate and engineer some slave races into helping capture and liquify millions to forge more of you in order to, I presume, destroy all sentient life in the galaxy? And why use all of a specific species just to forge one gigantic bioorganic machine of your race and style it in it's image?

From what Harbinger was saying, my personal theory is that the first Reaper was some kind of ultra evolved race from eons ago that encapsulated themselves into a giant starship robot and now they want to do the same to all life forms in the galaxy to preserve them somehow. "We are your genetic destiny" makes me think that, anyway

But who that first race was and why there is no trace of them now after all that they must have done and been to create a Reaper, even tens of thousands of millennia ago, is also a mystery

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    The game is called Mass Effect because that is what drives everything.

It is the Mass Effect of eezo that drives the Mass relays, star drives, FTL, Kinetic Barriers, everything

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I haven't seen this new contest mentioned yet:

Canadian gamers can download a pic, and if you get the Missing in Action achievement you are entered into a draw to win a trip for 2 to the Bioware studios in Edmonton plus 500$ cash!

Szechuan on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Played through Omega with a Vanguard, decided I didn't like it and restarted as a Sentinel.

Hot damn I like the Sentinel. I love Tech Armor. And Pistols. I played my canon run exclusively with pistols in the first game, and Sentinel just feels right played with pistols.

I'm still not a huge fan of "reloading." But I can deal with it. I have to say the combat this time around, in my opinion, feels like it's much more....I guess frantic is the word for it? Like in the ME1, I mostly just took for cover and popped off the enemies as they exposed their head. In ME2, I feel like I'm constantly ducking from cover to cover, or drawing the enemies to me so Archangel can take them out from his sniper position.

I like it.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Szechuan wrote: »

Canadian gamers can download a pic, and if you get the Missing in Action achievement you are entered into a draw to win a trip for 2 to the Bioware studios in Edmonton plus 500$ cash!

Best part about winning - you get to meet me. I'm delightful.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

I think the reapers harvest the dominate/most promising species of the Galaxy and build another reaper from them in order to increase their own diversity and maybe some kind of bizzare machine idea of preservation?

And didnt the Reapers repurpose the Protheans into the Collectors because they were unable to build a reaper out of the Protheans? I could have sworn I read/heard that somewhere in game
    I think you are right! I remember some one-off line somewhere about the Reapers finding the Protheans "inadequate" somehow so they indoctrinated and engineered them to help find others to liquify and stuff!

At least I think so. It was thirty hours of gameplay, I can't be expected to remember every detail

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    SakeidoSakeido Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

But even then, why. Why destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why create technology and leave it laying around so it makes it easier to destroy all sentient life in the galaxy every fifty thousand years or so? Why destroy most but indoctrinate and engineer some slave races into helping capture and liquify millions to forge more of you in order to, I presume, destroy all sentient life in the galaxy? And why use all of a specific species just to forge one gigantic bioorganic machine of your race and style it in it's image?

From what Harbinger was saying, my personal theory is that the first Reaper was some kind of ultra evolved race from eons ago that encapsulated themselves into a giant starship robot and now they want to do the same to all life forms in the galaxy to preserve them somehow. "We are your genetic destiny" makes me think that, anyway

But who that first race was and why there is no trace of them now after all that they must have done and been to create a Reaper, even tens of thousands of millennia ago, is also a mystery
    I dunno but maybe the Reapers are the true face of post-singularity existence.. entire races forcefully converted into extraordinarily powerful sentient space ships. Then they harvest life, keep the strongest race to make into a new Reaper, improving the Reaper race.. survival of the fittest on an epic scale.

Sovereign also mentioned several times in ME1 that we can't possibly understand why the Reapers do the things they do, though. Hopefully we will get some explanation, but it really could be beyond our understanding.

Sakeido on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

After ME2 I don't think You'd want me around. I might joygasm on you.
    Or in you :winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SteleStele Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Mordin post-loyalty spoilers:
    Gilbert and Sullivan! That was hilarious.

And where the hell is my "applause" option for his singing? o_O

Stele on
    Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keels. Makes her home.
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

Go to www.drpepper.com/promotions

Chaoshat: Three shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three!

NI!

Also I think 6 packs and such only give you 1 code each. Hit up a Wawa or 7-11 or something. I think the 7-11 big gulps get 2 codes.

I'm on the phone right now getting my gamertag re-linked to my current EA account. The customer service dude is pretty cool and actually seems to know what the hell he's doing.

EDIT: Once I got through, that shit was quick! Dude even brought over my BF2, BF2142 and PSN accounts.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

You're just the distraction. While we're focused on you the other two will come at us from the side and neither our shotgun nor our australian accent will be able to save us

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I dunno but maybe the Reapers are the true face of post-singularity existence.. entire races forcefully converted into extraordinarily powerful sentient space ships. Then they harvest life, keep the strongest race to make into a new Reaper, improving the Reaper race.. survival of the fittest on an epic scale.

Sovereign also mentioned several times in ME1 that we can't possibly understand why the Reapers do the things they do, though. Hopefully we will get some explanation, but it really could be beyond our understanding.
    I did like that, the idea that they are so far beyond us we can't fully grasp their reasoning

But whenever someone says that I always imagine them to be servants to some higher being. Like Cthulhu or something, just the guy who opens the door for the even greater horrors that they worship or serve

I don't know why, it's just something that always comes to mind

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010

You're just the distraction. While we're focused on you the other two will come at us from the side and neither our shotgun nor our australian accent will be able to save us

clever girl

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    I can foresee the ending to ME3 giving you the option to ride out the Reaper fleet and lay waste to all life as an ending.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Regarding the timing of when I can recruit a certain character:
    When do I get Legion? Is it when I go after the IFF thing? Please keep any response as non-spoilery as possible.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    When do I get Legion? Is it when I go after the IFF thing? Please keep any response as non-spoilery as possible.

Yes

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Yes, it's during the IFF mission.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

EDI is the one who says that maybe the Prothians weren't good enough to make a reaper, which is why they are using humans*when you first see the Human-Reaper larva thing and ask her wtf is going on.* But at the end we see that the Harbringer is a reaper so.........yea. Why the fuck didn't they just using them to make reapers? The only thing I can think of is that the collectors are all clones now, so I guess they don't have the genetic diversity to make any more reapers from the collectors/protheans than what they already did. And like they were pushing all game, humans are the most genetics diverse race for some reason, so bam we get to be giant space ships now.

As what Olivaw asked before I've got no fucking clue as to why they do this, all we still have is speculation as to why they do it. And you learn about the reapers letting you use their tech to make it easier to kill you from Sovereign when you talk to him/it/them on Virmire.

Fondor_Yards on