Options

Sid Meier's Civilization V - Game disks MUST be tossed. Salad optional.

DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in Games and Technology
civ5gdc10.jpg

And you thought you had escaped?
Joystiq wrote:
In its latest, unyielding attempt to subvert societal productivity, 2K Games has announced Sid Meier's Civilization V, the latest entry in the venerable strategy series. Set to debut on PC this Fall, Civilization V brings "an astonishing new engine" to the polite, turn-based proceedings and promises to excel the franchise with "the introduction of hexagon tiles allowing for deeper strategy, more realistic gameplay and stunning organic landscapes for players to explore as they expand their empire." Most hexcellent news indeed.

"Each new version of Civilization presents exciting challenges for our team," said Sid Meier of Sid Meier's Civilization fame. '"Thankfully, ideas on how to bring new and fun experiences to Civ players never seem to stop flowing. From fully animated leaders and realistic landscapes, new combat tactics, expanded diplomacy and shared mods, we're excited for players to see the new vision our team at Firaxis has brought to the series."

And expect to share your vision with others, as 2K notes that Civilization V will feature an "extensive suite" of community, modding and multiplayer components. It just wouldn't be an accurate model of civilization if you couldn't diplomatically destroy your online friends.

Source

Pretty Pictures
civ5gdc01.jpg

civ5gdc02.jpg

civ5gdc03.jpg

civ5gdc04.jpg

civ5gdc05.jpg

civ5gdc12.jpg

civ5gdc13.jpg

civ5gdc14.jpg

civ5gdc15.jpg

civ5gdc16.jpg

civ5gdc17.jpg

civ5gdc18.jpg

civ5gdc19.jpg

civ5gdc20.jpg

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETxMUjyxv9Q

You play too much Civilization
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXnm-E9wIw

http://www.civanon.org/

Articles & Previews

Eurogamer Preview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/sid-meiers-civilization-v-preview

Joystiq Hands-on: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/impressions-civilization-v-or-i-wanna-hex-you-up/#continued

:mrgreen:

steam_sig.png
Dortmunder on

• Options
    ihsviksihsviks Listen up, Fignuts! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Omg! :mrgreen: There goes all my free time.

ihsviks on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Wow. Those hexes look sexy.

urahonky on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    (moving to this thread)

Mother fuckers and their fucking flash-only websites. Fuck you.

Their claim of "bigger battles" is pretty interesting. It's hard for me to not get images of Civilization + Total War.. I think I'd die from excitement.

I'd also like to see a slower paced game.. not the sort of game where 100 years pass in a turn in the early game, and 1 year passes in the late game. I know you could mod Civ4 to always be 1 year per turn, but the game wasn't really balanced for it and it played out weird.

xzzy on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I have such a mancrush on Sid Meier.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Combat is probably what could be improved upon most from Civ4.

Can't wait, 2010 is turning out to be amazing.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Isn't he mostly retired now? I don't think he's been the head dude on a Civ game for a long time now.. he's kind of a consultant, and they put his name on the box as reward for being so awesome.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ohgodohgodohgodohgodohgodohgod

This is most excellent news.

MegaMek on
    Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Whoa, hexes?

Way to totally undermine the series, Sid. We all know tiles were the foundation of the game.
    Holy shit, can't wait until this hits the shelves.

Kivutar on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

Isn't he mostly retired now? I don't think he's been the head dude on a Civ game for a long time now.. he's kind of a consultant, and they put his name on the box as reward for being so awesome.

According to wikipedia:
    Meier is not always the main designer on titles that carry his name. For instance, Brian Reynolds has been credited as the primary designer behind Civilization 2, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and Sid Meier's Colonization,[3][4] while Jeff Briggs designed Civilization III and Soren Johnson led Sid Meier's Civilization IV. Currently Meier's role appears to be that of a creative director, simultaneously contributing to multiple projects.

I wanna say he was more directly involved in revolutions but I can't remember.

also what the hell is this (also from wikipedia)
    Meier worked with a team on a dinosaur themed game starting early 2000, but announced in an online development diary on January 24, 2001 that the game had been shelved. Despite trying various approaches, including turn-based and real-time gameplay, he said he found no way to make the concept fun enough. In August 2005, Meier said "We've been nonstop busy making other games over the past several years, so the dinosaur game remains on the shelf. However, I do love the idea of a dinosaur game and would like to revisit it when I have some time."

Dinosaurs!

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    And here I was planning on going back to college this Fall, but now my entire waking life plans have pretty much been mapped out. With hexagons.

Oh well, at least I was planning on being a history major so I should get course credit for this, right?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    MillbuddahMillbuddah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Great, my Civ IV buddy and I may end up going on unemployment when this comes out. There's no way our brains can remember to keep ourselves fed, breathing, hydrated, play Civ V, and maintain any sort of meaningful productivity at work.

Millbuddah on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I think I just had multiple nerdgasms.
    Just updated my outlook calender to "busy" for the entire 3rd quarter of 2010.

You had me at hexgrid, indeed! The terrain and units look impressive, and I'm intrigued about the changes to the combat mechanics, which have always been the weakest part of the series, IMO.

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I eagerly await this.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    After Civ Revolution, I was a little worried we wouldn't see another proper Civ game. Glad to see I was wrong.

Fats on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I made it to the Video Games Live! concert at Wolftrap outside of DC this summer, and Sid Meier was one of the speakers / guest hosts (right before the orchestra played the CivIV opening theme). He's just as cool in front of a crowd as you'd hope.

I regret to say that I somewhat chickened out of meeting him in person after the concert, largely due to the fact that I didn't bring CIV for him to sign.

EDIT: That, and I couldn't figure out how to go up to him and say, "Thank you - I've spent more time with your creations than I have with my wife." Awkward fanboy moments just aren't good for anyone.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    "Time to get hexual, baby"

barry_white071.jpg

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2010
    Civ 5? Hexagons? Too.. much.. joy.. <pop>

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Sid Meier needs to stop being a silly goose and make Alpha Centauri 2. That game is only about 15 years overdue.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hexes are the best kind of tiles.

Disagree, I dare you.

EddieDean on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

This game

This game

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    tgbobtgbob Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    There goes the later half of 2010!

tgbob on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    EddieDean wrote: »

Disagree, I dare you.

I'm waiting for a game that uses dodecagons. Yeah that's right, the game is gonna have tiles with triangles and circles.

xzzy on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Disagree, I dare you.

Octagons > Hexagons

Yoshua on
  • Options
    EddieDeanEddieDean Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yoshua wrote: »

Disagree, I dare you.

Octagons > Hexagons

You can't tessellate no octagons, fool!

EddieDean on
  • Options
    DortmunderDortmunder Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope it retains some of the functionality from Civ IV like Spies, Religions, Corporations.

Wonder what new stuff they might have brewed up too...speculate!

Dortmunder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    This isn't the Sims, why'd they remove stuff that's good from sequals?

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

Disagree, I dare you.

Octagons > Hexagons

Its not possible to regularly tessellate a 2d surface with anything other than triangles, squares, or hexagons!

But imagining a Civ game with fish-shaped tiles is amusing.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    It... it looks like Catan. It's beautiful...

Oh my god it's full of stars

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I hope they get Leonard Nimoy to narrate the game again. Otherwise this product will be inferior.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    chipmanchipman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    God damn, I thought someone had just changed the name of the Civ4 thread to catch my attention, but no!

This looks really nice and I love the idea of a hex grid - but I'm concerned I won't be able to tell which unit is which. Also those Civ borders look wierd, not circular round the city at all.

Otherwise, goodbye free time.
    I hope they get Leonard Nimoy to narrate the game again. Otherwise this product will be inferior.
    Oh please, please let this happen. Let him narrate EVERY Civilopedia entry too. Make it like a bioware codex but BETTER.

chipman on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

A worthy challenger is unimaginatively proposed!
    jej.jpg

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Jephery wrote: »

Disagree, I dare you.

Octagons > Hexagons

Its not possible to regularly tessellate a 2d surface with anything other than triangles, squares, or hexagons!

But imagining a Civ game with fish-shaped tiles is amusing.

Hell, they need to just do away with tiles anyways, they don't really belong in a computer game anyways.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    chipman wrote: »
    God damn, I thought someone had just changed the name of the Civ4 thread to catch my attention, but no!

This looks really nice and I love the idea of a hex grid - but I'm concerned I won't be able to tell which unit is which. Also those Civ borders look wierd, not circular round the city at all.

Otherwise, goodbye free time.
    Oh please, please let this happen. Let him narrate EVERY Civilopedia entry too. Make it like a bioware codex but BETTER.

With an animated head? In a jar?
    Leonard%20Nimoy%27s%20Head.png

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Beep...Beep...Beep.

Shens on
  • Options
    quarthinosquarthinos Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I still think SMAC did the tech VOs better.

quarthinos on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2010

Yeah I know, I just like that he's actually quoted in the release. But I am thinking more of like the original Civ - I still remember the intro to that so clearly. I played that game for years.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

According to wikipedia:
    Meier is not always the main designer on titles that carry his name. For instance, Brian Reynolds has been credited as the primary designer behind Civilization 2, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, and Sid Meier's Colonization,[3][4] while Jeff Briggs designed Civilization III and Soren Johnson led Sid Meier's Civilization IV. Currently Meier's role appears to be that of a creative director, simultaneously contributing to multiple projects.

I have this sudden surge of hate towards Jeff Briggs. ;-)

But yeah, after Civ3 I thought the Civ series was dying, but Civ4 has been nothing short of awesome. I'll be hoping that Civ5 can keep the ball rolling.

But no more fat cross?! This will take some to wrap my head around.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2010
    Hexes!

Man, I hope I don't need to buy a new computer for this.

Says the person who hasn't bought a new PC since like... 2003.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BigPointyTeethBigPointyTeeth run away! run away! MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    But no more fat cross?! This will take some to wrap my head around.

oh shit, I didn't even think of that! And this one's coming just as I finally caved and bought beyond the sword.

BigPointyTeeth on
This discussion has been closed.