Options

ROCK BAND: Old thread. Post in new one.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoa, how am I just now finding out about Sex Generals - Are You Really A Woman?

PS3 makes you slow...

(No point in talking about until it's ready to go.)

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The biggest hurdles between RB drums and drum drums are actual technique (RB doesn't care how hard and where you hit the drum, just that you hit it on time), and pretty much everything about the hi-hat (positioning, left foot pedal, ...).

Yeah, but that's not necessarily necessary to play the drums. Yeah, to be good at them, but you could sit down and play almost any song, well enough to keep a band going, without ever touching the hi-hat pedal or using any kind of dynamics.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The biggest hurdles between RB drums and drum drums are actual technique (RB doesn't care how hard and where you hit the drum, just that you hit it on time), and pretty much everything about the hi-hat (positioning, left foot pedal, ...).

Yeah, but that's not necessarily necessary to play the drums. Yeah, to be good at them, but you could sit down and play almost any song, well enough to keep a band going, without ever touching the hi-hat pedal or using any kind of dynamics.

This is true. My dad got my cousin a little starter drum kit and since I was going to be visiting the family for christmas, I got to help put the thing together. Nice little kit with a hi-hat, snare, a single tom, bass, and ride cymbal. After I put it together and tuned it right I busted out a couple of simple beats that I picked up from the game.

Gotta say it's a lot harder to keep a beat steady without those colored notes coming at you.
    Now I know why some drummers play with headphones on (its a metronome to help them keep beat).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey gang,

Next week's DLC will bring you 6 singles and it also adds 6 artists never previously seen in the Rock Band library! Woo hoo for new things!

Available on Xbox 360 and Wii (April 6) and PlayStation 3 system (April 8):

Anberlin – “Feel Good Drag”
    Hawk Nelson – “Live Life Loud”
    Skillet – “Monster”
    Superchick – “Stand in the Rain”
    Switchfoot – “Meant to Live”
    Thousand Foot Krutch – “Fire It Up”

(All tracks are original master recordings)

These tracks will be available as individual tracks on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 system and Wii. All tracks will also be available for download in the family-friendly LEGO® Rock Band Music Store.

Price:
    $1.99 USD, £.99 UK, €1.49 EU (160 Microsoft Points for Xbox 360) per track

$2.00 USD (200 Wii Points™) per track

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    toolberttoolbert Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Feel good drag might be worth the pick up. Not sure, besides Switchfoot, I've heard of the other bands...

toolbert on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We will have three songs titled "Monster". The Automatic, Lady Gaga, and now Skillet.

Arikado on
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is the third song called "Monster" available in Rock Band now

Edit: Great minds think alike apparently

quovadis13 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    u wana maek out???/

EDIT: I have very little interest in these tracks. I haven't got around to buying a points card for the Hendrix album yet.

Arikado on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow. Shitty week.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My soul must be broken, it has been months since either RB or GH has spit out DLC I care about.

Meh, still 200+ song backlog I would like to catch up to someday. :P

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kind of like "Monster," and maybe might look into getting it.

My only issue with the song is that, somewhere out there, a band decided it was a good idea to consciously call themselves Skillet.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Look like bands that should've just gone the RBN route...

metaghost on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    metaghost wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Thousand Foot Krutch did.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Automatic is still the best band with a song named "Monster".

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

This is the same kind of argument that goes on Officially. It's lame there, too.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

This is the same kind of argument that goes on Officially. It's lame there, too.

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, Curmudgeonly One.

I obviously have no idea how long these bands have been in the pipeline, or what marketing machinations were concocted that necessitated them being put through the HMX workforce, but my point was that it probably would've been an actual smart economic decision for most of these bands to go through RBN.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm not really sure what you're saying here, Curmudgeonly One.

I obviously have no idea how long these bands have been in the pipeline, or what marketing machinations were concocted that necessitated them being put through the HMX workforce, but my point was that it probably would've been an actual smart economic decision for most of these bands to go through RBN.

Every week that 'lesser' DLC is announced directly by HMX will now see at least one person state that 'it's what RBN is for'. Meaning they believe RBN is only for unknown or indie bands and 'real' DLC should be for major bands (especially when they take it personally that GH manages to have 'big' DLC). Or, to be insulting, bands they hate.

The minimum time for any music to go through the 'official' charting process is about two months. HMX can probably jump the queue with something that needs to be released within a certain marketing period, but it's still generally going to be two months.

RBN is for bands to get their songs in the game without needing to go through the standard route. That this will be mostly unknown or indie bands is coincidental.

Also, Thousand Foot Krutch is not in the RBN. Not yet, anyway.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, not that I would necessarily wish to advocate some segregation of music, but I honestly do think that regardless of the quality of music, if you are Hawk Nelson, you might find greater success putting your music through the RBN process, especially because it allows for free demos.

Being put through the main channel is beneficial because it goes cross-platform, but I suspect at this point a lot of lesser-known bands are just going to get lost in the pantheon of DLC, instead of having that opportunity to get community support at the development stage that can lead to better sales presence.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Would you say the same thing if it came out 6 months ago?

Arikado on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys, if these band only showed up on RBN, us PS3 and Wii heathens would probably never have a chance to dismiss them.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    A christian rock invasion.

Yay.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The problematic trend with RBN is that more and more people are treating it as a dumping ground for music and bands they've never heard of and don't really care to really listen to, whereas RBS should be reserved for bands everybody knows, which, as Santa said, is totally not what Harmonix intended for the service.

Personally, I'm waiting for the day when some kid who's never heard of some classic rock band like Def Leppard mistakenly wanders into the Rock Band forums and posts "Why didn't they put these guys in RBN?"

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    heh, 6 songs, by 6 artists, on the 6th of April.

I see what they did there.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Omeks wrote: »
    The problematic trend with RBN is that more and more people are treating it as a dumping ground for music and bands they've never heard of and don't really care to really listen to, whereas RBS should be reserved for bands everybody knows, which, as Santa said, is totally not what Harmonix intended for the service.

Personally, I'm waiting for the day when some kid who's never heard of some classic rock band like Def Leppard mistakenly wanders into the Rock Band forums and posts "Why didn't they put these guys in RBN?"

Like someone comparing the Beatles to NSync...

...oh wait...

Arikado on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Legacy wrote: »

Yay.

None of the songs are overly preachy, so uh, shut up. :P

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Yay.

Yeah, really. This is a selection that most people would probably have little idea at all with unless they looked them up or had previously heard of them.

Besides, it's more selection, not a bad thing.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »

Yay.

Yeah, really. This is a selection that most people would probably have little idea at all with unless they looked them up or had previously heard of them.

Kinda like Flyleaf in RB1?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just upgraded to Gold and have been fiddling around with the online stuff a bit. Is the "Rock Band PA" gamertag still the preferred way of coordinating?

Beyond just posting here, of course.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Better off posting here.

I haven't looked at that gamertag in about a year.

Arikado on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is it the "Feel Good Drag" from Never Take Friendship Personal or New Surrender?

I mean, fuck these bands!

But seriously. The one from Friendship is way better.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What's the better way to train for Hard mode on drums? Play through tons of songs in Medium, or do the drum tutorial/training? I have to say, it's sometimes frustrating - I used to play the drums for ~10 years, but half the songs on Hard are pretty easy and the other half kill me completely. (Sometimes I know I'd do better if I had regular notation to work from rather than the way Rock Band does it.)

Doesn't help that my RB1 drum kit is slowly breaking down on me. Guess I should get either the RB2 or Beatles drums.

(Somewhat off topic: are there any Rock Band players here who got DJ Hero? Is it worth getting at a reduced rate?)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Easy enough, dlc info and such is down in my sig.

I generally just play songs I would enjoy listening to so I haven't download much.

Aistan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My 360 has been on the fritz lately but I'll see if I can get online tonight and give the Hendrix album a run.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thirith wrote: »
    What's the better way to train for Hard mode on drums? Play through tons of songs in Medium, or do the drum tutorial/training? I have to say, it's sometimes frustrating - I used to play the drums for ~10 years, but half the songs on Hard are pretty easy and the other half kill me completely. (Sometimes I know I'd do better if I had regular notation to work from rather than the way Rock Band does it.)

Doesn't help that my RB1 drum kit is slowly breaking down on me. Guess I should get either the RB2 or Beatles drums.

Honestly, if you have previous drum experience, I'd recommend you just jump to expert and focus on the easier songs with less kick. When I first started, I found that I really sucked at the easier difficulties because I was always trying to play what I was hearing, rather than what I was seeing.

And yeah, you'll want to upgrade your kit ASAP. I have no idea how hard it might be to find the standalone RB2 kit in switzerland though...

metaghost on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    And yeah, you'll want to upgrade your kit ASAP. I have no idea how hard it might be to find the standalone RB2 kit in switzerland though...
    Most likely I'll have to order it from Amazon.com, but with the current exchange rate it isn't all that bad. I'm not sure yet whether I'll want to get the RB2 kit or whether I'll go for the Beatles: Rock Band bundle instead for the added value, since I haven't got B: RB yet.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »

Yay.

Tycho's newspost about Guitar Praise (remember that game?) seems apropos:
    Tycho wrote:
    If some Christian music is terrible, well, it takes many of its cues from the greater culture. The standard ratios apply. Of course, most of my reference points are ancient now, because I don't spend a lot of time in the House of the Lord. I just know that a blanket dismissal of this music is unwise.

Aside from the quality argument, I've always found it kind of funny when people complain about some songs being "preachy." Music is a medium that can convey many, many different messages in an entertaining fashion. You can quite easily listen to song about breaking up with a girl and immediately transition to a song that's about killing a bunch of people; and both songs will be really fun to listen to. Considering vast numbers of songs in the Rock Band library that don't have any mention of God (or any diety, for that matter), I doubt six songs is too much for people like me to ask for.

That said, I wish they had picked "Hey Hey" for the Superchick song instead of "Stand in the Rain". The latter is more popular, but I think the former would be more fun to play.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is it the "Feel Good Drag" from Never Take Friendship Personal or New Surrender?

Ah, that's actually a good question...both are okay though.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here are the recent list of songs for RBN officially available in-game. Colour coded for price convenience.

One dollar
    Two dollars
    song title - band name

Unstoppable - White Line All Stars
    Scream Ceremony - Order of the Crimson Wizard
    Eveready - Modern Skirts
    Love is the Only Thing - Andy Kirk
    Young Bloods - The Bronx
    Sound of the Redeemed by Jonathan Lee
    Burning Rome - The Minnesota Sex Junkies

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I remember the tracks by The Bronx as being pretty cool, if you're into that sort of DC Post-hardcore type of thing. Solid rock charts. Don't think I playtested any of the others. Some quality band names though.

metaghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Alright, accepted all 20 pending friend requests on the Rock Band metatag. Gonna hop on drums for the next couple of hours to build up a hunger. I'm more than happy to switch to vocals should someone want to squeeze me in.

Also, buying Hendrix album as I type this.

Arikado on